• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

general cooling ,BIOS affecting temp, & Q:Asus+Barton2500 BIOS update affecting o/c

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine with a Gigabyte Intel board found that his BIOS was running more juice through the his chipset, processor, or something, making the case temperature hotter.

Ok. Noted. Yes, one should update their BIOS for smoother operation.

My dilemma:
I have an Asus 87N8x Deluxe and also two other 87N8x nonDeluxe boards. My Deluxe houses the magic Barton 2500. The rumor I’ve heard is that a BIOS update of the Deluxe 87N8x will mess with my overclock in a bad way… Have you guys heard anything about Asus BIOS updates rendering an overclock kaput? Stories?

Also, I’m interested in your personal experiences with case temperature overload and how you learned about it, dealt with it, and/or fixed it. Was it a minor fix? Did just a small increment of temperature make things stop responding? For example, when I went to my folks’ house this past week I didn’t know that my rig needed extra cooling until the mouse quit responding. My Antec SX1040BII is in a perfectly user-friendly spaced corner desk, but I discovered the lack of airflow around the case, when placed under the desk, made everything hot. Upon feeling around the case, I felt the heat coming off of it and how warm the side was. So, I dropped eighty-something for fans, HD coolers, and the like for myself, my mom’s, and my brother-n-law and sister’s computers which I’m building. They will not run into heating issues if I can help it because we all use these things for business. There’s no way I can let heat affect performance or data. I’m not the only one on this forum, and I’m sure many of you have started with the PCI slot fan, adding 80mm and up fans, and some have even gone the with water-cooling routs.

297029_f.gif
Regale me with your exoeriences.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, There was one BIOS update for my ASUS A7V8X that dropped my temps by 10 whole degrees (Centigrade), just goes to show you what terrible levels of calibration there is behind temp monitoring of PC's. (In fact if you contacted ASUS at the time about it, they said as much themselves... temp monitoring is a box feature to them, not to be taken as anything scientific or trustable.)

While the later, lower temp value *was* more accurate (independantly confirmed) - it was enough of an eye opener for many ASUS mobo users for the general accuracy of temp monitoring, after all we'd trusted the +10degrees setting between BIOS upgrades without question.

Diablos

You want the latest revision for the A7N8X Deluxe.

I don't think any of them will mess with your OCing ability. If it does, you can always flash back. I have a PCB 1.04 board that cannot do 400FSB, despite the fact that the bios update is supposed to fix it (it's a problem with the circuitry apparently). Most I can get out of this thing with PC3200 memory is 360.. and I'm overclocking a 2400+ too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom