• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Strait breaks indoor concert attendance record with final show

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Never heard of this guy. Cool I guess.

Seriously?

Bleepey said:
This reminds me if the Garth Brooks thread where no one on GAF recognised the biggest selling music star of the 90s.*

It really goes to show how sheltered some of GAF is.

I'm wondering if he did "Write This Down" with the massive crowd. That'd be amazing.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Seriously?

It really goes to show how sheltered some of GAF is.

Well I live in Europe. And yes I have never heard of him. May recognise his song when I would hear them.

Do you know the band "bijelo dugme" ? One of, if not the biggest band of ex-Yogolsavia.

See that goes booth ways.
hope you don't know them, otherwise I would look like a fool ;)

Enron

Banned
Nobody fucking knows this guy in Yurop.

I think most people are expressing disbelief that fellow Americans say they never heard of this guy. I can completely understand someone in europe or wherever else not knowing who the fuck George Strait is. Actually, I'd expect it.

I went looking for a concert report and holy shit

Another sniffle-inducing interval arrived on the heels of U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Petry, a Medal of Honor recipient who saved other soldiers&#8217; lives in Afghanistan when, after being shot in both legs by Taliban fighters, grabbed a grenade and attempted to toss it away from them. Petry&#8217;s right hand was severed and he now wears a prosthesis. At the concert, he and his wife were given a a new home courtesy of the Military Warrior Support Foundation, which Strait has partnered with on this tour, giving away a mortgage-free residence to a wounded combat veteran at each concert.

Laieon

Well I live in Europe. And yes I have never heard of him. May recognise his song when I would hear them.

Do you know the band "bijelo dugme" ? One of, if not the biggest band of ex-Yogolsavia.

Yugoslavia was significantly smaller than the United States. According to Wikipedia, outside of a brief stint in 2005, Bijelo Dugme hasn't been active since 1989. I don't think your comparison works very well at all.

I can definitely see why someone might be surprised that someone might not have heard of an artist from one of the largest countries in the world that has remained active since 1981 (especially one that has sold 100+ million records).

It's not really surprising that someone might not have heard of a group from a now irrelevant country that (outside of 3 concerts in 2005), hasn't done anything in 25 years.

Or if they don't give a shit about country music.

Never heard of him.

I don't give a shit about 99.9% of rap music and I can still name plenty of huge names in that genre.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's a bit funny how this person is apparently this huge star who can fill a stadium with all those people, and yet I have absolutely no idea how he is. Don't think I've even heard his name before. Ok, so I don't listen to country, like at all (think most of it is really awful), but I of course know who people like Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton were/are. Oh well!

God Strait slaying the game again.
Hh3iZ.gif
Hh3iZ.gif
Hh3iZ.gif

When will the rhat?
4YV2j.png

When will the LVW?
4YV2j.png

BaOxhEN.png
Clocked popgaf out of existence.
BaOxhEN.png

8xZCI7r.gif
come2jesus
8xZCI7r.gif

#countrydaddy
D5uJuyO.gif

Grisby

Wonder what Alan Jackson would bring in.

Anyways, love me some George Strait. Country music at its best.

Derp1na

Banned
Yugoslavia was significantly smaller than the United States. According to Wikipedia, outside of a brief stint in 2005, Bijelo Dugme hasn't been active since 1989. I don't think your comparison works very well at all.

I can definitely see why someone might be surprised that someone might not have heard of an artist from one of the largest countries in the world that has remained active since 1981 (especially one that has sold 100+ million records).

It's not really surprising that someone might not have heard of a group from a now irrelevant country that (outside of 3 concerts in 2005), hasn't done anything in 25 years.

I don't give a shit about 99.9% of rap music and I can still name plenty of huge names in that genre.

No one cares about American country music in Europe lol

Although that said, I did listen to K-Rose a hell of a lot on San Andreas. There's something quite charming about how simple country music is.

Derp1na

Banned
What would happen if someone made a thread on say, Tupac, and someone honestly went "I've never heard of Tupac?"

People would be astonished because rap music actually had a significant impact in the world in the past 20 years, as opposed to country music which is confined to southern/rural US.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Your comparison doesn't work since your band disbanded in the 80's, possibly coming back this year but hasn't been active for 30+ years like Strait.

See, it's fine and dandy if you're in Europe and haven't listened to much Country. But a lot of people even in America would have that same sentiment and it just really annoys me. I didn't like "Rap music" when I could still hear but that doesn't mean I think it's a "shit genre," nor does it mean I can't name at least 5-10 popular rappers off the top of my head.

Maybe Country just doesn't have the same "pop culture" impact it had in the 90's in the US. *shrug*

So, again: Some of ya'll are extremely sheltered if you don't get outside of your bubble and actually listen/learn some genres that you don't know before shooting from the hip with "who?"

Congrats to Strait on this achievement.

Heh, I remember when I was younger taking pride in saying I hated country music, considering it's probably the least offensive genre of music out there. Err, wait... I just figured it out.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
People would be astonished because rap music actually had a significant impact in the world in the past 20 years, as opposed to country music which is confined to southern/rural US.

Not really. Granted the south is the biggest market but he has sold 30 million albums overseas which isn't something you can just ignore.

saelz8

I warmed to country after working construction in TX for a few years. You can't not listen to it, since you're going to always have a co-worker who plays it on the radio. It got me through some long days.

Now, when I'm elsewhere, country reminds me of certain aspects of home. I rarely hear it elsewhere, though when I'm elsewhere it's rarely a country-listening state or country.

l never listened to country prior, nor do I really listen to it now but when I hear some of it, it garners certain memories.

Derp1na

Banned
Not really. Granted the south is the biggest market but he has sold 30 million albums overseas which isn't something you can just ignore.

Source? Both citations on wikipedia don't mention how many he's sold outside the US. He appears to do all right in Canada too, so there's that.

I'm sure there are country music fans all around the world, but it's incredibly niche in Europe.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Source? Both citations on wikipedia don't mention how many he's sold outside the US. He appears to do all right in Canada too, so there's that.

I'm sure there are country music fans all around the world, but it's incredibly niche in Europe.

Going by the RIAA he has sold about 70 million in the US and wikipedia says 100 million total. Not sure about the 100 million number though.

C4Lukins

Do they have many concerts at that stadium? It seems like a pretty terrible place to watch live music.

Not a ton. I think U2 played there, and they have done some country awards shows. Looks like One Direction is going to play there. Not a lot of bands that can justify renting that place out.

Just looked it up.

2009 George Strait , Reba, Blake Shelton, and Lee Ann Womack, 60k
2009 the Jonas Brothers
2009 Paul McCartney
2009 U2 and Muse
2013 Taylor Swift 53K
2014 George Strait 105,000
2014 Beyonce and Jay Z, in July
2014 One Direction, August

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Your comparison doesn't work since your band disbanded in the 80's, possibly coming back this year but hasn't been active for 30+ years like Strait.

See, it's fine and dandy if you're in Europe and haven't listened to much Country. But a lot of people even in America would have that same sentiment and it just really annoys me. I didn't like "Rap music" when I could still hear but that doesn't mean I think it's a "shit genre," nor does it mean I can't name at least 5-10 popular rappers off the top of my head.

Maybe Country just doesn't have the same "pop culture" impact it had in the 90's in the US. *shrug*

So, again: Some of ya'll are extremely sheltered if you don't get outside of your bubble and actually listen/learn some genres that you don't know before shooting from the hip with "who?"

You are right, my comparison was not that good, i just wanted to spread the word for a awesome band :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom