• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German woman dies after arm was bitten off by shark while snorkeling in Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/German-woman-who-lost-arm-to-shark-in-Maui-dies-4750401.php

HONOLULU (AP) — A German woman who worked as a nanny in Issaquah, Wash., has died one week after a shark bit her arm off as she was snorkeling off Maui.

Jana Lutteropp, 20, who had been on life support, died Wednesday at Maui Memorial Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Carol Clark said.

"Jana fought hard to stay alive," said a statement from her mother and sister, which was released by Clark. "However, we are sad to say that she lost her fight today."

Clark said the family was requesting privacy.

Lutteropp had been caring for the children of an Issaquah family. She was in Hawaii for three weeks and intended to return home to Germany, MyNorthwest.com reported.

Lutteropp was snorkeling up to 100 yards off Palauea Beach at the resort community of Makena when the shark bit off her right arm.

A high school teacher visiting from California jumped into the water after hearing her screaming and seeing blood in the surf. Rick Moore, 57, of Laguna Niguel, Calif., said Lutteropp went in and out of consciousness and kept repeating that she was going to die.

It's not known what type of shark bit Lutteropp. State officials investigating the attack said witnesses didn't see the animal.

"Jana was a very beautiful, strong, young woman who was always laughing, and we will forever remember her that way," said the statement from her mother, Jutta Lutteropp and sister, Julia Broeske.

They asked that donations in her memory be made to the Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation.

"We appreciate all the support from the Maui community, as well as the prayers and thoughts from around the world and in Germany," they said. "We especially want to thank the wonderful caregivers and everyone at Maui Memorial Medical Center."

After the attack, Moore's friend Nicholas Grisaffi stood in neck-high water and took Lutteropp from Moore, carrying her limp body out of the water. They said Wednesday they've been praying for her.

"I was really hoping it would be a miracle and she would pull through," Moore said.

Grisaffi said he's been replaying the ordeal in his mind.

"Rick risked his life," said Grisaffi, 61, of Laguna Beach, Calif. "Did I do enough? Should I have grabbed my fins and swam out with him?"

The head of the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, the agency responsible for Hawaii's waters, said he was deeply saddened to learn of Lutterop's death and joined Hawaii's people in extending his sympathy to her family and friends.

"As an island state, we are aware that we are all visitors in the natural environment that surrounds us, and that unfortunate incidents such as this one can occur," William Aila said. "We are committed to furthering research efforts that will help guide effective management actions in the interest of safety."

Hawaii officials announced Tuesday they plan to spend the next two years studying tiger shark movements around Maui amid what they call an unprecedented spike in overall shark attacks since the start of 2012.

There have been eight attacks statewide this year and 10 in 2012. Hawaii usually sees only three to four attacks each year.

The last time someone in Hawaii died from a shark attack was in 2004, when a tiger shark bit Willis McInnis in the leg while he was surfing 100 yards off Maui. McInnis suffered severe blood loss and died on the shore despite rescue efforts by beachgoers, police and paramedics. The last fatal attack before that was in 1992.

A woman was killed last month after being attacked while swimming in Brazil during her vacation.

Worldwide, there were seven deaths resulting from unprovoked shark attacks in 2012, including one in California, according to the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida.

As someone who's regularly done snorkeling when in Hawaii, this story will stay in the back of my head for future excursions now. :(

Holy shit. Palauea Beach in Maui is my favorite snorkeling spot. There have been a string of shark sightings and attacks in Hawaii this summer. Unsettling stuff.

That's so sad. I remember seeing this story on the news and the guy who saved her was talking about the friendship they would have for the rest of their lives.

akira28

Do they think people are seals or something?

pretty much. Loudly (to them) splashing surface creature with warm blood.

They need to come up with some kind of electrical pulse emitter that will repel sharks, and not send them into a killing frenzy. OR underwater drones patrolling for sharks.

I've been following shark attacks in Hawaii for awhile (I snorkel there a lot) and almost every incident has similar factors:

- poor visibility
- choppy water conditions
- at dawn or dusk
- alone or only a few people
- day after storm or rain

These are prime shark hunting conditions because they have the advantage in bad visibility. The snorkel shops tell you to stay out during these situations, but tourists often ignore the warnings. Unfortunately this girl went out when it was poor visibility and the waters were choppy in the late afternoon - extremely dangerous conditions.

Kinyou

pretty much. Loudly (to them) splashing surface creature with warm blood.

They need to come up with some kind of electrical pulse emitter that will repel sharks, and not send them into a killing frenzy. OR underwater drones patrolling for sharks.
There actually are anti-shark wetsuits which supposedly deter sharks. At least they should minimize the risks.

sams-shark-deterrent-mvbzh.jpg

http://news.discovery.com/adventure/outdoor-activities/anti-shark-wetsuits-ready-hang-ten-130718.htm
The blue-and-white "Elude," designed for divers and snorkelers, uses research about sharks' perceptions of light and color blindness to essentially "hide you in the water column," Anderson said.

The "Diverter" -- mainly for surfers -- is based on what sharks perceive as danger signs in nature, with a bold black and white banding patten to imitate an "unpalatable food item," according to UWA researcher Shaun Collin.

Unfortunately are they relatively expensive (ca. $400) but I guess a good wetsuit can be quite expensive as well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
There actually are anti-shark wetsuits which supposedly deter sharks. At least they should minimize the risks.

sams-shark-deterrent-mvbzh.jpg

http://news.discovery.com/adventure/outdoor-activities/anti-shark-wetsuits-ready-hang-ten-130718.htm

Unfortunately are they relatively expensive (ca. $400) but I guess a good wetsuit can be quite expensive as well.

Seriously, while surfing I always ask myself why the fuck all wetsuits are black. Do they just want to make us look just like seals out there in the water?

I want one of those.

MrHicks

Banned
I hear snarks don't really hunt humans because we're not fat enough.

the fact that there are ANY survivors of shark attacks tells you that
survivors merely experienced a "feel bite" (AKA wtf is that thing lemme check)

offcourse a "feel" bite still causes massive damage
after the feel bite the shark goes "eek wtf" and GTFO

humans are all bone no meat

Pterion

I wonder what actually killed her, as she spent 1 week in ICU. Possibly the hemorrhagic shock led to multisystemic hypoxic failure?

I was in the Caribbeans not long ago, and I was terrified of swimming in deep water. Not a shark place per say, but you never know.

Jesus. I went snorkeling in Maui on my honeymoon a couple years ago. It was awesome. Not far from Olawalu, I want to say Ukumehame? Anyway, it was amazing and there were dozens of sea turtles - they were everywhere. Lots of fish too obviously. I did sort of wonder - with all these big turtles around, any chance for sharks?

My snorkeling guide said no way, don't worry about it. We were pretty far out there - it was probably 15-20 feet deep at points and I was diving way down. I found out later there had been an attack or two a few years prior and there were still warning signs up at that beach.

Pastry

Banned
I wonder what actually killed her, as she spent 1 week in ICU. Possibly the hemorrhagic shock led to multisystemic hypoxic failure?

I was in the Caribbeans not long ago, and I was terrified of swimming in deep water. Not a shark place per say, but you never know.

I'm going to the beach this weekend and two weeks ago they caught a 12 foot Tiger Shark very close to where we're staying. I'll probably avoid deep water and I lived in a beach town for two years recently so I normally go into pretty deep water. Not this weekend....

Jesus. I went snorkeling in Maui on my honeymoon a couple years ago. It was awesome. Not far from Olawalu, I want to say Ukumehame? Anyway, it was amazing and there were dozens of sea turtles - they were everywhere. Lots of fish too obviously. I did sort of wonder - with all these big turtles around, any chance for sharks?

My snorkeling guide said no way, don't worry about it. We were pretty far out there - it was probably 15-20 feet deep at points and I was diving way down. I found out later there had been an attack or two a few years prior and there were still warning signs up at that beach.

Yeah there's a "turtle station" out past Olowalu (mile marker 14). The general rule, they say, is that if you see turtles then you are fine. But if suddenly turtles scatter or no fish are around, then you should worry.

Blair

Banned
I'm going to go out on a limb and say a trip to America is not safe at the moment, not to mention it costs an arm and leg.

Is there any insight into why shark attacks in Hawaii have spiked over the last two years? Water temperature changes maybe?

In Hawaii they are saying unusual weather patterns, including Hurricane Flossie, have been washing food sources (like trash and runoff) close to the shoreline. But according to pure statistics, the recent spike is well within the realm of pure coincidence and nothing more.

HiiiLife

Worst part is I love the ocean. Hawaii will always be special to me but the "what if I get attacked by a shark" always lingers in the back of my mind whenever I'd go swimming or surfing.

Poor woman. Sharks are the scariest animals on the planet IMO. Just ahead of spiders.
I hope she is at peace now.
On a personal level, I would probably prefer to drift off into death, than live life with a missing arm.

It's weird but snorkeling or scuba diving is almost the same as going on safari but people don't see it that way and drop their guard.

Yeah there's a "turtle station" out past Olowalu (mile marker 14). The general rule, they say, is that if you see turtles then you are fine. But if suddenly turtles scatter or no fish around, then you should worry.

Yep - that's what the guide said - "turtle station." Turtles were chillin', though generally swimming away from us if we got too too close.

If I had been out there, doing a little dive, and saw a shark swimming out in the distance I would have flipped the fuck out. I mean when that happens in Far Cry 3 I flip out.

Zeke

you people talking about staying out of deep water know that most shark attacks happen in shallow water right?

Yep - that's what the guide said - "turtle station." Turtles were chillin', though generally swimming away from us if we got too too close.

If I had been out there, doing a little dive, and saw a shark swimming out in the distance I would have flipped the fuck out. I mean when that happens in Far Cry 3 I flip out.

Ha yeah, I saw tiny white tip reef shark snorkeling in Kihei and I got the fuck out immediately. They're harmless but those cold eyes (!) and weird half smile gave me the biggest creeps and I said fuck this.

Pterion

you people talking about staying out of deep water know that most shark attacks happen in shallow water right?
Maybe more people are found in shallow waters? I'm ignorant on the subject, but I suspect there are far more sharks in deep waters than closer to the shore.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm far more scared of 'cudas than sharks. Of course, that's Florida surfing experience speaking, the sharks over there are tiny black tips. Sure, lots of people get bitten, but no one dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom