• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get Mario Kart 8 for $34.79 at Target, with $1 towards any pre-order (in-store only)

Richie

Spotted this very useful tip by Gr8NonSequitur from Reddit, thought more than a few would like to know about it here! Explains Gr8Nonsequitur:

Target (store only not online) will Price match Amazon.com if the price is from Amazon themselves and not a reseller. Currently Amazon has MK8 listed for $48.79 so Target matched at the service desk.
Target also has a deal (3rd page on their circular) where you can get $15 off ANY game $39.99 with at least $1 towards ANY pre-order. So I took a pre-order for Smash Bros Wii U and MK8 and it rang up $34.79 + tax.
You also get a $5 Target Gift card when you pick up your pre-order and these are new (not used) copies so they still qualify for Nintendo's Free game offer.
Hope that helps some fellow frugal gamers! :)

Here are some important pointers:

• A fellow in the original thread initially had issues with Target for the price matching. If it happens to you, do as he did, and show them their own website. (Here, under Price Match Guarantee)

We’ll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at Target or CityTarget stores then find the identical item for less in the following week’s Target weekly ad or within seven days at Target.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com, BabiesRUs.com or in a competitor’s local printed ad. Price match may be requested prior to your purchase. Simply bring in proof of the current lower price, your original receipt and we’ll match the price at the Guest Service Desk.

They should price match it no problem then.

• The ad in question is legit (6/8 to 6/14...act quick!)

H7PeTlYanVVU

• Lastly, albeit Mario Kart 8 is in the thread title (it's the most bang for your buck, that and its included free Nintendo game, both for $35!), this applies to any game $39.99 or higher, so if you find another game you want, go nuts. Bonus points if you can also find it cheaper elsewhere and price match accordingly.

That's all, folks! Hope some GAFers can take advantage of this.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck I literally just ordered Mario Kart 8 this morning off Amazon.

Eh, whatever. Cool deal but it should be here soon anyway!

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Whoever has a Wii U or planning on getting a Wii U soon, get on this deal stat!

ngower

Got Wind Waker with this deal for $27 earlier this week. Pretty rad deal—trying to stay the hell away from Target so I don't end up spending any more!

Clov

Does this apply to Target stores in Canada?

Edit: Wouldn't matter even if it did, since Amazon.ca has Mariokart 8 for $65. :/ Oh well.

So, if you do this Target deal, then register MK8 with Club Nintendo for the free game, are you still able to trade MK8 as used at Best Buy?

Hatchtag

Banned
Can we do this four seperate times? Because if so, holy shit with that bestbuy trade in (I'd keep the fourth copy, too).

Cronox

Banned
Can we do this four seperate times? Because if so, holy shit with that bestbuy trade in (I'd keep the fourth copy, too).

You'll have to make a family account and a new profile under that account per game, or something, but it's doable. That said, I hope anyone doing this doesn't live near me, and that not many attempt this, as it would tank the used market for Mario Kart.

SCReuter

Thanks. Just yesterday at Target I picked up Rayman Legends and Zombie U for $28.50. Now I might be going back today for this deal.

NIGHT-

Did this yesterday with several games. Price match the games first, then hand them the pre order cards. As they swipe the pre order cards, the prices will drop

Hatchtag

Banned
You'll have to make a family account and a new profile under that account per game, or something, but it's doable. That said, I hope anyone doing this doesn't live near me, and that not many attempt this, as it would tank the used market for Mario Kart.

There's like 3 days to do this, it'll be a very non-permanent tank.

What if you've only registered the MK8 WiiU bundle, but not a specific code for the standalone retail MK8? I'd be looking to do this only one time. That should be doable, right? Club Nintendo shouldn't give me issues?

ngower

Most retail stores won't do a pricematch and a promo like this. I'd say its very YMMV. (Your mileage may vary.)

The system allows it, which is usually the arbiter of whether or not a manager will allow it. I did it earlier this week and had no issues.

hachi

Banned
So, what's the best way to go about doing this at your local Target? I've never used their preorders before, nor price matching, so I'm a bit confused about where to begin.

Does one handle this at the electronics counter, or at Customer Service? It feels like only the former would handle preorders, but the latter would be my guess for any price matching.

Exuro

Going to try this out after work. For the freebie game do you need a Wii U or can I choose the game online and worry about getting the system later?

Also is there a list of games target can perorder? Figure I might as well do smash bros 3ds.

marvel8797

Neo Member
So, what's the best way to go about doing this at your local Target? I've never used their preorders before, nor price matching, so I'm a bit confused about where to begin.

Does one handle this at the electronics counter, or at Customer Service? It feels like only the former would handle preorders, but the latter would be my guess for any price matching.

just tried this myself, totally worked.

get the game and the pre-order card from electronics, take it up front to the returns counter, that's were you make your case for price matching. they'll question you for a bit and be a little confused, but you tell them how much it is on amazon, they check, then the promo gets applied, comes out to 37.59 tax included...granted, that's texas tax, I'm not sure how it goes in other states, so...

so happy. registered the game and got pikmin 3. sweet.

just remember to argue a bit, but don't come off too much like a d-bag.

Richie

Going to try this out after work. For the freebie game do you need a Wii U or can I choose the game online and worry about getting the system later?

IIRC they give you a code, so you should be good until you get the system.

this deal works with price matching so if the price matched item is like $20, the total would be $5

The $15 off applies only to games $39.99 and higher.

Wait what

EDIT: Oh, the free Nintendo game! How long after buying MK8 can you get the free game?

The final day is July 31. So you can totally wait until July 1 to register/download the games, and have those Club Nintendo coins go toward the new year.

Best of luck to everyone!

XenodudeX

So the guy I spoke to said the reserve deal doesn't work unless I reserved a game on the list before the game (Mk8) came out. S

SmokeMaxX

So the guy I spoke to said the reserve deal doesn't work unless I reserved a game on the list before the game (Mk8) came out. S
And that guy was straight wrong. Did you ask him? Often it's better not to ask and just do it since employees often give bad information.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is great. I was at least going to go to Target tomorrow and have them price match Amazon's MK8 price, but if I can get it even cheaper, awesome!

XenodudeX

And that guy was straight wrong. Did you ask him? Often it's better not to ask and just do it since employees often give bad information.

Yeah he didn't know what he was talking about. I just went to the guest service desk and got it all straightened out.

zma1013

You may have to e more assertive in your quest to get deals. I tried price matching at Target using my cell phone to show the price and the first guy I talked to said it had to be a paper ad. Well, right on Target's very own website they say you can price match using your phone. I talked to someone else and told them about this and then I got my price matched.

Xamdou

I already redeemed my Mario kart 8 Wii U bundle for Pikmin 3 as a free game, if I buy MK8 at Target for $34.79 will it give me an extra game again?

Korosenai

I tried this yesterday but they said they couldnt price match and do the deal. I think they said that though because i outright told them i wanted to price match and do the deal.

I think im going to go back today and be more casual about it. Im going to just price match first, then hand them the preorder card after while not even mentioning the deal one time since their system applies the deal and not the actual person.

Tldr: do not mention the deal at all and be casual about it. Just price match first and once the new price shows up in the system, then you hand them a preorder card. It should automatically apply the discount.

WizzNARD

just tried this myself, totally worked.

get the game and the pre-order card from electronics, take it up front to the returns counter, that's were you make your case for price matching. they'll question you for a bit and be a little confused, but you tell them how much it is on amazon, they check, then the promo gets applied, comes out to 37.59 tax included...granted, that's texas tax, I'm not sure how it goes in other states, so...

so happy. registered the game and got pikmin 3. sweet.

just remember to argue a bit, but don't come off too much like a d-bag.

So when you say take it the service desk, do you mean buy it first, then do the price match, or do ask for the game and say "I want to do a price match on this."? Never really done this before, hoping to go after work and pick this up. Thanks!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Hmm, Super Mario 3D World is $50 at Walmart.com — could have them price match that, too.

marvel8797

Neo Member
So when you say take it the service desk, do you mean buy it first, then do the price match, or do ask for the game and say "I want to do a price match on this."? Never really done this before, hoping to go after work and pick this up. Thanks!

tell them to price match it before they start trying to scan it. when I told cashier to do so, and argued my case about both applying the price match and the $15 off promo, he pulled out a little tablet thing that scanned the upc and referenced that with amazon or something like that. it worked.

SmokeMaxX

I already redeemed my Mario kart 8 Wii U bundle for Pikmin 3 as a free game, if I buy MK8 at Target for $34.79 will it give me an extra game again?
You can't redeem your Club Nintendo code on the same account, but you can add another account to yours if you make yours a Family Account (not sure all the details, but they're out there). You CAN redeem the eShop code that Nintendo gives you on the same account though, just not the Club Nintendo coins code to get the eShop code.
I tried this yesterday but they said they couldnt price match and do the deal. I think they said that though because i outright told them i wanted to price match and do the deal.

I think im going to go back today and be more casual about it. Im going to just price match first, then hand them the preorder card after while not even mentioning the deal one time since their system applies the deal and not the actual person.

Tldr: do not mention the deal at all and be casual about it. Just price match first and once the new price shows up in the system, then you hand them a preorder card. It should automatically apply the discount.

Yeah, I recommend not asking. Just pretend like you know what you're doing. If you ask, a lot of employees will bend over backwards to figure out a way to tell you no.

Jomjom

Banned
Related to this, if you can find AC4 for PS3/360 you can get that for $3. It's $17.99 at Amazon.

Even less if you download the "Target Cartwheel" app on IOS/Android which gives you a coupon for 20% off AC games. I think it ends up being less than $2 because it takes the 20% off 17.99 or something.

Top Bottom