• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get Mario Kart 8 for $34.79 at Target, with $1 towards any pre-order (in-store only)

Thaster

I can confirm that this works!
I told my friend about this half an hour ago and he just called me back to tell me that he was able to get this deal no problem!

No excuses to not have this if you own a Wii U now. The game was definitely worth it alone at $60, so now at this price plus getting another amazing game for free it should be essentially impulse buy territory now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Alright, Target is holding copies of MK8 and SM3DW for me, and I'm gonna go out in pouring rain up against rush hour and Red Sox game train/bus hysteria. Wish me luck. :|

Related to this, if you can find AC4 for PS3/360 you can get that for $3. It's $17.99 at Amazon.

Even less if you download the "Target Cartwheel" app on IOS/Android which gives you a coupon for 20% off AC games. I think it ends up being less than $2 because it takes the 20% off 17.99 or something.

This would not work, right? Since it is under $40? Or is it when the original msrp is over $40?

dcx4610

Man, very tempted to finally pick up SM3DW. It's $49 on Amazon. I doubt you'll find it cheaper than $34 for years if ever.

Thanks for the heads up, this worked perfectly. I got:

Mario kart 8
Mario 3d world
Pre order for smash 3ds (plus free $5 gift card when I pick it up)
Pre order for smash wii u (plus another $5 gift card when I pick that up)

All for a little over $70 after tax :). Great stuff, especially considering the free game with Mario kart.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Thanks for the heads up, this worked perfectly. I got:

Mario kart 8
Mario 3d world
Pre order for smash 3ds (plus free $5 gift card when I pick it up)
Pre order for smash wii u (plus another $5 gift card when I pick that up)

All for a little over $70 after tax :). Great stuff, especially considering the free game with Mario kart.
One transaction worked for this, right?

One transaction worked for this, right?

No, I actually went to my car, threw the bag inside, and went back into the store and did the deal again for the other game. I was only going to get MK8 but I checked Amazon on my phone and saw that Mario 3DW was also a little cheaper so I ran back inside haha. I'm actually not sure if it'd work for two simultaneously.

vatstep

No, I actually went to my car, threw the bag inside, and went back into the store and did the deal again for the other game. I was only going to get MK8 but I checked Amazon on my phone and saw that Mario 3DW was also a little cheaper so I ran back inside haha. I'm actually not sure if it'd work for two simultaneously.
Ah, okay. I've read that others have done multiple in one order, but if it doesn't work for me, I'll just ask for two separate.

vatstep

Success! Got MK8 and SM3DW for $35~ each. You can do multiple titles in one transaction; just have them PM the games and give you a total, then give them the pre-order cards and each $15 discount will be applied automatically. Obviously, you have to get the same number of games and cards. :)

As a new Wii U owner, I was contemplating going all digital, but the convenience just doesn't match up to the deals you can get on good ol' discs.

Cronox

Banned
Well I went to Target and was forced to pre-order Destiny for PS4 to have a preorder. Which is too bad, cause I doubt I'll have a PS4 anytime soon so I'm just out a dollar. If they'd had Smash preorder cards I woulda taken them :/

The manager gave me a talking-to and told me that normally a price match and promotion can't be done together, but that they were letting it slide just this once. I think if I'd tried to get more than one game and preorder they'd have stopped me. Anyway, success.

Edit: after reading up on how Nintendo coins and getting to Gold/Platinum levels work, I'm going to wait to register the code until July 1st, when the year resets for those benefits. I'm certainly not going to be achieving Gold or Platinum (300 or 600 coins) status in the 17 days left before the reset.

What if you've only registered the MK8 WiiU bundle, but not a specific code for the standalone retail MK8? I'd be looking to do this only one time. That should be doable, right? Club Nintendo shouldn't give me issues?

People have been able to redeem the games on one account, after entering the code in for their sub-accounts for their "family." But the coins will stay with the sub account.

SmokeMaxX

Well I went to Target and was forced to pre-order Destiny for PS4 to have a preorder. Which is too bad, cause I doubt I'll have a PS4 anytime soon so I'm just out a dollar. If they'd had Smash preorder cards I woulda taken them :/

The manager gave me a talking-to and told me that normally a price match and promotion can't be done together, but that they were letting it slide just this once. I think if I'd tried to get more than one game and preorder they'd have stopped me. Anyway, success.
TBH it doesn't really matter what game you use to preorder. The $1 reservation card goes into Target's pocket (they DON'T go towards your preorder) so the "$5 Target gift card" is really only a net value of $4. In addition, Target almost always has the worst preorder bonus for every game. A retailer like Best Buy will give you $10-20 on a new game whereas Target's always going to give you $5 that you paid $1 for.

TriAceJP

kA8qS4w.jpg

Love you, Gaf <3

dcx4610

Thanks for the heads up.

Picked up the last copy of Super Mario 3D World. $35.86 + tax after price matching Amazon along with a Smash Bros. pre-order.

For those curious, after they price match the game, have them scan the pre-order card and it will automatically take off the $15.

borat_great_success-450x337.jpg

An-Det

Thanks, that's a pretty fantastic deal. They didn't have a circular available (just one behind a glass case for some reason), and there were no copies of MK8 left in the case so that could have backfired, but I left successful. Pretty awesome on it's own, but even better given the MK8 promotion.

Thanks so much for this OP. Shout out to the reddit guy who found this.

Edit

Btw, my Target is cool as fuck! I acted like I didn't know about the deal like suggested but the guys there already knew about it and was already giving me the hook up before I reached there. I had called ahead of time to hold it, soon as I got there, dude whipped out the preorder card, said Amazon price match it and instant savings. Dope.

Evo X

Wait, let me get this straight.

I can buy MK8 for $35, redeem the free code for Wind Waker, then trade it in to best buy for $40?

If so, is there a limit to how many free games you can redeem for the MK8 promo? If not, I'll buy 3 copies of MK8 to score Super Mario U and Pikmin 3 for free as well.

Frolow

Banned
Alright, well I went to target and was able to get the pricematch for Mario Kart just fine, but the manger said I couldn't do the pricematch alongside the $15 off promo; it was either one of the other. According to them, since the pricematch brought the game down to below $40, the $15 off promo wouldn't apply due to their policy. Anyone know what happened? Because if that supposed policy is true, then everyone here is a dirty liar according to them.

Also, is the Cartwheel promo expiring tomorrow? Thought I heard someone saying that.

Exuro

Chances the amazon deal is still going on tomorrow? Told my little brother about the deal but they can't get it until tomorrow.

SmokeMaxX

Alright, well I went to target and was able to get the pricematch for Mario Kart just fine, but the manger said I couldn't do the pricematch alongside the $15 off promo; it was either one of the other. According to them, since the pricematch brought the game down to below $40, the $15 off promo wouldn't apply due to their policy. Anyone know what happened? Because if that supposed policy is true, then everyone here is a dirty liar according to them.

Also, is the Cartwheel promo expiring tomorrow? Thought I heard someone saying that.
The system will let them do it. Whether they have a policy in place to stop that (maybe), I'm not sure about. The key is to just treat it like a normal transaction. If they don't let you, there isn't much you can do. Most employees will just scan the item and go though.

Frolow

Banned
The system will let them do it. Whether they have a policy in place to stop that (maybe), I'm not sure about. The key is to just treat it like a normal transaction. If they don't let you, there isn't much you can do. Most employees will just scan the item and go though.

The guy said the system wouldn't let him do it either. I don't know if he legitimately tried to do it or just blew me off, but whatever the case, it didn't pan out.

SmokeMaxX

The guy said the system wouldn't let him do it either. I don't know if he legitimately tried to do it or just blew me off, but whatever the case, it didn't pan out.

The system will let him do it. There are several receipts showing that it happens automatically. He probably just didn't want to do it because of loss prevention or a manager or something. You could try at another Target or you could check out in another lane/part of the store.

Frolow

Banned
The system will let him do it. There are several receipts showing that it happens automatically. He probably just didn't want to do it because of loss prevention or a manager or something. You could try at another Target or you could check out in another lane/part of the store.

That's the thing, I called another Target and talked to someone at electronics and someone at guess services and both of them said a pricematch and promo can't stack. I might go to the actual store tomorrow and try, but I'm not holding out hope.

vatstep

You can totally just not buy the pre-order game, right?
Yeah, they don't even take your info, they just scan it like it's any other item. If you end up buying the game, though, it'll get you a $5 gift card at least ($4 net profit, basically).

DR2K

Banned
Got FF14 for $21 on PS4 via price match with Amazon and this promotion. Also got AC4 and CoDghost for $3 total. I love Target.

Does this work online? Or do I have to go into the store to do it?

Edit. Oops didnt see in-store in the title. Gotta grab SM3DW tomorrow.

dcx4610

The pre-order card cards automatically give you $15 off if the game is over $39.99 when they get scanned. Don't even mention the discount. Just have them price match the game and then show them the pre-order card and tell them you want that too. It'll take the $15 off and there is nothing they can do.

darbian

Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record Holder!
Got shot down at my target...had them do the price match and then handed him the preorder card. Without even scanning it he told me it will remove the price match; it was one or the other. Sounded like he was well aware of what was going on and wasn't having any of it, regardless of whether the system would let him do it.

I had actually purchased the game last Friday on Amazon for $60 and was planning to return the Target copy back to Amazon. So after getting shot down at Target I chatted with Amazon's customer service and they refunded me the difference to the current price. I'll take that instead of trying to return to Target on a different day.

HUELEN10

This deal is awesome! My friend got Rayman Legends for Wii U for like 6 bucks after Price Match and pre-order discount.

Lum1n3s

kA8qS4w.jpg

Love you, Gaf <3

What this guy/gal did! I had to reserve the 3DS version seeing as how they sold out of the Wii U version. I also managed to price match a Xbox One controller for my PC by Amazon. Beautiful stuff Gaf! You never dissapoint ;____;

DR2K

Banned

Pricematch Amazon which has the 360/PS3 versions around 17.99. Use the cartwheel app code for 20 percent off. Buy a preorder card for $1. No manager override needed, all stack in the system. You can do the same with the other versions but they'll be a little more expensive.

Welp. I just got AC Black Flag, COD Ghosts, and Diablo 3 for $1.95 overall. Less than it normally costs to freaking preorder the 3 random games I just did. The total was $16.95, but the dude at Customer Service messed up and jumped the gun and gave me $5 gift cards for each pre-order. I paid the $17 with a $65 gift card I got for free when they messed up my Mario Kart 8 preorder. Oh, and I also still have $100 left from selling GTA 5 and other random stuff.

Feels good robbing the shit out of Target.

Exuro

I did it! Thankfully I have a few Target stores as the first one I went to the dude said he wouldn't price match Amazon, but at the second store that guy was a ok with me showing him my phone with the amazon page. Got the 3ds preorder since that's coming out sooner. Contemplating getting 3d world or just waiting for a different deal.

Now I'm thinking of just keeping it and getting myself a Wii U.

eggwolio

I had preordered the game at target with no intention of buying it. I just wanted the Keychain. I brought in my preorder card and not only did they do the deal, but for some reason, without my asking, the cashier returned my preorder. I asked for the Mario Kart preorder card back and she gave me the card and a dollar. Cost me $36.59. Will be turning that into $37.80 credit at GameStop tomorrow, which is actually worth more because store credit is not taxed. I like it.

My dad's been talking about wanting a Wii U so without hesitation I just went out and got him Mario Kart 8 and preordered SSB 3DS for myself. Planning to buy him one of Nintendo's $200 refurb systems so he's gonna get a Wii U, NintendoLand, Mario Kart 8, and NSMBU for less than $250. Lucky bastard! :D

Edit: wait, there's a 3D World deal going on somewhere? What's the story there??

Top Bottom