• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get Mario Kart 8 for $34.79 at Target, with $1 towards any pre-order (in-store only)

Infinite

I just did this today! The person processing it seemed upset and completely forgot to charge me for the preorder card. She was punching keys so hard and slamed the game on the counter lol

Anyone have any luck trading it in at best buy for 40 and doing it again for a different free download?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Edit: wait, there's a 3D World deal going on somewhere? What's the story there??
It's currently $49 at Amazon, so after PM at Target with this deal it can be had for $35~ just like MK8.

Korosenai

I'm going to try this again tomorrow.

When exactly should I hand them the preorder cards? Right after they price match and scan the games?

Also, i'm going to be doing this for 3 games. If I hand the person at customer service the 3 cards and they scan them, does it automatically apply the discount for the 3 games?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm going to try this again tomorrow.

When exactly should I hand them the preorder cards? Right after they price match and scan the games?

Also, i'm going to be doing this for 3 games. If I hand the person at customer service the 3 cards and they scan them, does it automatically apply the discount for the 3 games?
Have them price match all of the games and give you a total. Then give them the cards, and when scanned, each will take $15 off. It's 100% automatic. This is how I did it and it was easy sailing, no questions asked.

Well I'll be giving it a try, I'm not much of a fighter, I'll just ask why they're denying it if they do. I'd just want a reason, and these people don't tend to have it unless they call in the manager. So I guess it's up to them. I'll let you guys know what they say, heading there right now.

Can confirm it worked. 37 something. Guest services lady was super nice, also seemed like she hadn't read the email or knew about the 15 off deal as she looked at the screen like "huh.... I guess you thought this through" lol.

vatstep

Just a heads-up that, regardless of whether or not stores are being warned about this sale, it ends today.

eggwolio

One of the stores I went to today was really rude to me. An employee who want present at the start of the transaction butted into it and rudely denied me and had no interest in hearing anything from me whatsoever. He then walked away talking loudly to his coworkers about my scam and gesturing to me and looking at me. This went on for fifteen minutes or so as I ran into some friends in the store and was standing near customer service chatting with them. I did not cause a scene. I expressed my displeasure that he would not honor their own sale, I accepted my fate, and I walked away. That guy acted like a real prick.

The lady at the one I went to after that was awesome. She outright told me she'd try stacking them anyway I'd like to save me money. High five for her.

Target didnt let me price match and use the $15 off. So i only saved like 5 bucks on 3D world. Anyone was able to price match with amazon and get the deal?

Branduil

I was able to price match and get the deal. The guy working there was really helpful, I'm guessing I wasn't the first one to do this.

Exuro

Target didnt let me price match and use the $15 off. So i only saved like 5 bucks on 3D world. Anyone was able to price match with amazon and get the deal?
Yes. It's in their policy to price match within 7 days of purchase. You could go back and tell them that the game you bought was $10 cheaper on amazon and get the difference over in customer service. With the promo on the receipt it'll be a little tricker though.

What I did was just have them price match it and didn't mention the preorder promo. The guy was fine with me showing the amazon page on my phone. He grabbed the game, brought me to customer service and had it deducted there. Then I gave the 3ds preorder card and it auto lowered the price to $35.

Confirming that this worked for me too, though I had to go to customer service for price matching. The guy at the next register looked over and was like, "yeah and I bet he's got those reserve cards too. That's smart, someone else did that earlier today."

So they knew about the deals stacking but didn't care to stop it.

I got two copies, so now I don't even have to choose between Pikmin 3 and WWHD. And I'll probably refund those reserve cards on another trip; all they had were Smash Bros. and last-gen Destiny cards, neither of which I actually care about.

LuffyZoro

Guy at mine would not do it, saying that a communication came out from target saying that their coupons had to come before price matching. Oh well, it was still cheaper.

Hero

If anyone Target gives you grief about it just mention how they let your credit card data get stolen last year and see what they say.

Korosenai

Have them price match all of the games and give you a total. Then give them the cards, and when scanned, each will take $15 off. It's 100% automatic. This is how I did it and it was easy sailing, no questions asked.
Will pretty much any target preorder card work, or is it specific cards?

Im going soon to see if it works. Going to get Ryse, Deadrising 3, Kinect Sports Rivals, and Forza Motorsport all for $26 each hopefully. I have $75 in gift card money too, so it wont be too much out of my wallet.

Sh0k

I got this to work with Rayman Legends for the Wii U, price matched Best Buy's $19.99 sale for this week and walked out of Target just paying $6.39 after the reserve card promotion. :)

I will try this later tonight, since I believe the promotion ends today, with Super Mario 3D World matching Amazon or Walmart price of $49.99.

vatstep

Will pretty much any target preorder card work, or is it specific cards?

Im going soon to see if it works. Going to get Ryse, Deadrising 3, Kinect Sports Rivals, and Forza Motorsport all for $26 each hopefully. I have $75 in gift card money too, so it wont be too much out of my wallet.
I don't know; I figured sticking with the ones indicated in the OP would be the safest bet. I don't even plan on picking up the games necessarily; a waste of $2 but it's nothing compared to the savings in general.

Korosenai

I don't know; I figured sticking with the ones indicated in the OP would be the safest bet. I don't even plan on picking up the games necessarily; a waste of $2 but it's nothing compared to the savings in general.
It worked :)

I was just ssuper casual about it and didnt even say anything. She didnt even notice the cards discounting the games.

Yes. It's in their policy to price match within 7 days of purchase. You could go back and tell them that the game you bought was $10 cheaper on amazon and get the difference over in customer service. With the promo on the receipt it'll be a little tricker though.

What I did was just have them price match it and didn't mention the preorder promo. The guy was fine with me showing the amazon page on my phone. He grabbed the game, brought me to customer service and had it deducted there. Then I gave the 3ds preorder card and it auto lowered the price to $35.

I think I'll go back tomorrow and try to get it PM from their customer service dept. I need to buy groceries anyways so I'll give it a shot.

I wish I just went straight to customer service instead of the video game department. Those guys are probably aware of this.

evanft

I was able to do this at 3 different Targets. Got a bunch of different Wii U and 3DS games, including Bravely Default for $18 and Super Mario 3D World for $35.

vatstep

It worked :)

I was just ssuper casual about it and didnt even say anything. She didnt even notice the cards discounting the games.
Nice!

Richie

Unaware if Targets are still open there in most of the States...If someone has yet to do it and can, do get it before the day's over! Amusing that many stores were actually aware of what was going on but didn't care enough to stop it. Very glad to see most folks ITT had a successful trip to Target.

Persona7

Banned
Wow, they were really rude today. I wonder why?

My friend went today and said the employee would not do it as it was a scam and all this other stuff and then 20 minutes later the manager came and did it without a issue.

Flandy

:D
BqJPZZjIQAEoRXC.jpg:large

Don't actually have the Wii U but I'll hopefully be getting one soon. I ended up price matching Zombi U since best buy had it for $10.
It actually looked like Mario Kart 8 was out of stock at my local target since they didn't have any in the Wii U section but they had a copy out in the front of the game section.

Wow, they were really rude today. I wonder why?

My friend went today and said the employee would not do it as it was a scam and all this other stuff and then 20 minutes later the manager came and did it without a issue.

I don't understand why some employees act like it's money out of their own pockets. It's Targets own promo they are running for $15 off and their own price matching policy, just ring the damn thing up. Thankfully I didn't have any issues when I did it, I might try again tomorrow for a different game

Confirming that this worked for me too, though I had to go to customer service for price matching. The guy at the next register looked over and was like, "yeah and I bet he's got those reserve cards too. That's smart, someone else did that earlier today."

So they knew about the deals stacking but didn't care to stop it.

I got two copies, so now I don't even have to choose between Pikmin 3 and WWHD. And I'll probably refund those reserve cards on another trip; all they had were Smash Bros. and last-gen Destiny cards, neither of which I actually care about.

I see these guys as the regular retail workers. These are the guys that unless they're outright told they can't allow it, they won't give a shit. They probably see deals all the time, they don't realize how cheap they are and it's not like they'll be penalized for allowing it. That's on Target then we have people like...

I don't understand why some employees act like it's money out of their own pockets. It's Targets own promo they are running for $15 off and their own price matching policy, just ring the damn thing up. Thankfully I didn't have any issues when I did it, I might try again tomorrow for a different game

...this. Seriously why is the rudeness needed? It's not even about you scamming them, I would've told them "how am I scamming you? This is on your store for offering it, I'm taking advantage of it" admittedly they do specify in the policy they have a right to refuse it, but no need to act like the customer is this sly Catch Me If You Can motherfucker.

Either way it's over. Like others I don't officially own my Wii U, I should by next week have at least purchased it.

Cronox

Banned
I ended up going back today and getting Super Mario 3D World and DKC: Tropical Freeze to go with the Mario Kart 8 copy I got yesterday. While I barely got out with Mario Kart because of a savvy manager who lectured me, this time it was smooth sailing. I made some friendly banter during the price checking, and then applied my reservations along with some other things I was buying. I was actually a little surprised the girl helping me didn't seem to notice as she rang things up and the price went down. Given the rumors that Target sent out an email not to allow people to use this combo, I felt a little bad walking out. I didn't want her to get in trouble if the manager was to go through her transactions later.

Hopefully that won't happen. And I got a great discount. Knowing Nintendo, these games will be no less than $30 even 3+ years from now, if that, so I had to jump on while I could.

Worked for me today. NO questions asked, went pretty smooth. Seemed like cs guy already knew about it. picked up diablo 3 reapers of souls, DKC-tropical freeze and Rayman legends.

vatstep

Just in case anyone else sees this thread, the deal is over — it was a standard Sun-Sat sale.

Top Bottom