• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

Banned
Man I just watched episode 21 and that did it for me. I'm ordering the first DVD with the box/booklet right now. I'm sure the Cartoon network dub will be (or could be..) great but DVD quality is required for this kind of anime.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is better then Cowboy Bebop and IMO one of the best I've ever seen. I'm comparing it to CB because it has the same filler/main arc pace as CB which is also where I think Gits: SAC has its only downside. If only they can extend some of the good fillers to two episodes and go deeper into the characters it could've been a much more emotionally charged anime. Like for example
Batou’s history with the rangers... the minister's daughter that was kidnapped: what happened to here that she wanted to forget? How did she age so much in such a short amount of time? Torture? experimentation?
. If the few bad stand alone episode (like episode 1.. ugh) were cancelled and added as second parts to the good ones Gits would be an S (super) anime instead of (imo) an A.

I'm hoping right now that episodes 22-26 are 'complex' ones though since they're the best ;). Oh and thank god
The laughing man isn't some "illusion" created from the internet. That would kina make it a futuristic Paranoia agent and it just won’t be good enough. Also if I remember correctly the villain in the Gits movie was an artificial program or something. :p

If the next few episodes, and the 2nd Gig ones, are any where near episode 21 Gits: SAC could be my favorite all time anime. This was my reaction after watching 21:

OMG. OMG!!!

I just watched episode 21.

OMFG!!! @__@

*logs on to Deep Discount DVD*

lol I think I'd pay for an avatar of the major
laying the smack down on that arm suit!

So any Gits fan here? I hope this thread gives the series the attention it needs. Not that it's not getting any but the more the better. :)

Oh and Tachikoma >> you. :D

I watched the first two eps fansubbed when it was first released and then stopped in anticipation of the DVDs, so I've only seen the first four episodes of the first season. I have seen the first nine episodes of 2nd GIG, and it is damn good.

Drexon said:
*Checks what 21 was about* Oh yeah! :D Those mechs were freaking cool. But really, it gets cooler. ;)

It does, although I don't know what Chrono was smoking to make some of those comments. Even the weakest episode has been A grade. Eps 24-26 are a great arc, though, and 2nd GIG has been consistently amazing.

SAC DVD1 is currently available (and canadians get it the cheapest - since Sony Music Canada does the canadian distribution, places like Futureshop and HMV have the special edition for around $30). The SE has some technical problems but I still think it's worth it.

Crazymoogle said:
It does, although I don't know what Chrono was smoking to make some of those comments. Even the weakest episode has been A grade. Eps 24-26 are a great arc, though, and 2nd GIG has been consistently amazing.

My only beef with 2nd GIG is the inconsistency of character designs and animation in general. Aside from that, what I've seen has been great.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
what's the whole timeline of this show?

Old movie, two seasons of tv, and now another movie? I'd like to watch stuff in order.

levious said:
what's the whole timeline of this show?

Old movie, two seasons of tv, and now another movie? I'd like to watch stuff in order.

There are two seperate timelines, the films and TV series are seperate from one another:

1. Ghost in the Shell --> Innocence: Ghost in the Shell
2. Ghost in the Shell: SAC --> Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG

Chrono

Banned
Does the special edition only have better audio? According to AnimeOnDVD that's pretty much it but Deep Discount DVD lists a Booklet with the SE.. and bonus episodes... wtf? And why does neither edition comes with a boxset damn it!

Chrono said:
Does the special edition only have better audio? According to AnimeOnDVD that's pretty much it but Deep Discount DVD lists a Booklet with the SE... wtf? And why does neither edition comes with a boxset damn it!

The SE of volume one (of seven) comes with OST 1. Apparently the CD was authored incorrectly, but I wouldn't know as I shelled out $32 for the Japanese version last year.

Chrono

Banned
distantmantra said:
The SE of volume one (of seven) comes with OST 1. Apparently the CD was authored incorrectly, but I wouldn't know as I shelled out $32 for the Japanese version last year.

Oh yeah I forgot about the OST. I'm just worried about the 'booklet' and 'bonus episodes' Deep Discount DVD has listed-- I'm not sure if they're worth it. And I want a series box to put the volumes in. :(

I've never understood anime fans' obsession with boxes. There is no actual bonus footage on the special edition, just DTS audio on the second disc.

Silkworm

Yeah, I got the special edition of GiTS:SaC, though at the time I didn't check to see how it differed from the non-SE version. It does come with an OST CD and there is a relatively small insert not necesarily what I'd call a booklet (which may be in the non-SE version as well?) that has some humorous insight from one of the script writters on the development of the storyline. I like the inclusion of the OST, but the addition of a DTS version in addition to Dolby Digital DVD seems like a bit of an overkill (esp. for me since I don't even have a surround sound setup to take advantage of either format). I thought they were just going to throw in an art box since I didn't pay very close attention to the extras included in this SE version. All in all, the extras in the SE version aren't worth the extra cost but your mileage may very.

Also, as I garnered from the main scenario writer's interview (or perhaps it was the director?) on the DVD, this is going to be one of those anime titles that I'm going to need to rewatch at least once more to get all the details. Apparently they tried to cram as much information into the dialogue as possible to provide all the necessary GiTS background information, which means lots of subtitles for me to read (also when the characters are sub-vocalizing it can be difficult at first to pick up on which character is talking) :p Anyway, I'll get used to it and the last episode on the 1st DVD got me excited about where the story is heading with the introduction of what I presume will be the main protagonist for a story arc that may or may not encompass the entire 26 episodes of the 1st season.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Episode 25 of GiTS: SAC is one of the best episodes of any anime i've seen period. The amount of "stuff" that happens blows your mind. You should be in for a treat because I think the series really picked up at episode 21. From then on it's focused on pretty much one thing and every episode is great.

2nd GIG is pretty good so far, but I've only seen up to episode 6 because windows explorer crashes when I try to view the others...don't know what's up with that -_-

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The OST+ that comes with the SE may have been misauthored, but it only lacks the so-so ending song and replaces it with something somewhat decent. I'm not complaining.

Oh, and the dub....

Haha, if you haven't listened to it yet, don't get your hopes up... some characters are done very well(eg. Bouma), but some others... most notably Batou... are horribly miscast or poorly acted.

Exact problems:

OST Track 8 (Velveteen) is actually 8 + 9 (which is the ED)
OST Track 11 (Fish Silent Cruise) is just the first 2 minutes of the track.
OST Track 12 is the rest of Fish Silent Cruise.

DTS Disc problems:
Rear left channel has rear left, right and LFE channel data, making it sound faint and like an echo.
Rear right channel has rear left and right data, sounding almost alright.
LFE channel is pretty fucked up.

Hitokage said:
Hah, any exchange program in the works?

Soon. Bandai is trying to keep quiet until it's ready to go.

It's funny though, everybody was whining about Manga (and with good reason) but it was Bandai who fucked it up.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Chrono said:
I'm sure the Cartoon network dub will be (or could be..) great

when is it scheduled to start airing on CN and at what time?

Chrono

Banned
isamu said:
when is it scheduled to start airing on CN and at what time?

It will start airing on November 6th at 11 PM followed by another awesome anime at 11: 30 PM-- Full Metal Alchemist. Having those two anime air back to back on CN will bring in a lot of new anime fans. :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Chrono said:
It will start airing on November 6th at 11 PM followed by another awesome anime at 11: 30 PM-- Full Metal Alchemist. Having those two anime air back to back on CN will bring in a lot of new anime fans. :)

Holy shit that's fucking fantastic news! I don't usually atch dubs, but lately, I've been too lazy to read subs and to pay attention to the story so I'm slowly learning to warm to all English dubs nd will give them a chance. Plus it's much easier to surf GAF and watch anime that way :D

Chrono what other new shows are CN airing this fall/winter?

Chrono

Banned
Whoa. I just finished the first season. I can easily say now the last six episodes are pretty much my favorite in the whole series. :)

I'm still not sure about why Section 9 was "sacrificed." If the politicians did not want to accuse the secretary General before elections, then just keep it low and wait. That's it. The media scandal is just not enough to attack Section 9 like that-- just fire everybody. If Aramaki had this planned then why not gather Section 9 employees and send them off? Did the politicians just want a big show for the media? It was a big risk by Aramaki.. Most of the members almost died! *sniff*

Oh and I'm guessing in the early episodes Nanoa A was killed by the micro-machines conspirators right? he was used to distract the interceptors scandal and the Laughing Man name was just that- a name and not the real laughing man. (the real LM being the dude who intercepted the -email I assume..? and the guy we see is the one who took his name and tried to expose the micro-machines lobby? I'm confused. I also didn't get anything from the last conversation he had with kusanagi. >__<

Rlan said:
Wait, CN Dub? Does this already released disc have the Dub on it? What's it like?

Yeah the DVDs have the dub episode.

isamu said:
Chrono what other new shows are CN airing this fall/winter?

I think an Inuyasha movie will air too.. but I'm not sure of CN's plan. Gits: SAC and FMA are both some of the best anime out there though so I imagine it cost them quite a bit. :p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hehe I watched the entire 7-8 last episodes of GITS:SAC in one sitting very late at night. It boiled my brain to the point where I could barely think straight after it finished but it was very much worth it.

I haven't watched GITS:SAC 2nd Gig as of yet although I have each fansub released. It's all a matter of time of wanting to concentrate and get stuck into it. I know I should be since I heard Mamoru Oshii helped a lot in the writing department for 2nd Gig and being a huge Oshii fanatic I should be doing myself a favour and watching it.

Anyway, for those that are enjoying GITS:SAC, I'd highly recommend Monster anime, based on the manga by Naoki Urasawa. It may not have huge political issues akin to GITS:SAC and the like, but it does have a very compelling storyline. Once I finished the manga, I realised how weird it would be if the events in Monster ever happened since it seems so realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom