• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts. Real, or a figment of our imagination?

Dr.Morris79

Here's one for you to try and debunk from a personal encounter of mine. I'm open to any explanation, have been for years, no one knows what to think and I've been called allsorts :pie_thinking:

Years back, in 2007 when I first met my wife, I took her on holiday to Gran Canaria. On the third night we went for a walk down near the lighthouse in Maspalomas, along the sea front were rows of seating areas for the different bars. We picked an empty one so we could be alone and talk.

Ten minutes in my wife said she felt a weird chill and we thought nothing of it. I said let's grab a selfie (Something I never really do, at all)

Behind us was a glass panel that was three inch thick with aluminium joiners that separated each outside seating area..

Now you'll have excuse my face, I was a bit drunk at the time, what's new 🤷‍♂️

Pictures taken around three seconds apart

qnGiOZ5.jpeg
PMDnTV3.jpeg

Nothing there right? 🤷‍♂️

Let's brighten them up a bit

uzsDTYU.jpeg
7F6rLHP.jpeg

As you can see in the first picture there is a man talking to another man in the bar behind us. You can see the shoulder of the man sitting behind my wife he is talking to, wearing a stripe shirt..

No one else was in our part of the bar, or the other bars in front of us. The distance between the next glass panel in front of us was around twenty five feet so it couldn't have been a reflection, there was no one there anyway

So what in gods name is that behind my wife?

The first two pictures have never been altered and were taken on this old banger

X7M1Zw4.jpeg

I still have the camera. She never wanted me to use it again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

A woman passing by.
The wife's head blocks that part of the glass, no one was in front, and she'd have to be walking through the table behind us :pie_thinking:

Looks trippy regardless

But then again I have my own ever changing interpretation of, well, to use the mainstream umbrella term "paranormal" manifestations which I gladly keep to myself.
Everyone does my good man. I haven't a clue what to think. I hope there's something after or this has been an utter waste of my time! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

R7K3RQT.gif

Hugare

OP, let me show you what a real ghost looks like

In 2013 I was visiting an old house from the 1500's with my ex gf. She asked me to take a photo of her by the window.

Look behind her:

Lmv5ZJu.jpeg

I swear to God, there was no one there with her. I took the photo, so I know.

To this day I shit bricks with this photo. And I'm an atheist.

Dr.Morris79

A female ghost can touch my dick anytime
What if it's cold though? I couldn't handle the shame :messenger_unamused:

In 2013 I was visiting an old house from the 1500's with my ex gf. She asked me to take a photo of her by the window.

Look behind her:

Lmv5ZJu.jpeg

Holy shit! I upped the brightness not knowing what to expect as I'm on my phone and yeah, that looks pretty damn horrible

Did you notice straight away or when you got back?

Weirdly that one I took my wife wanted to look at the photo and zoomed in herself at the table.. she shit herself and we left ten seconds later. I wanted to take more.

Hugare

What if it's cold though? I couldn't handle the shame :messenger_unamused:

Holy shit! I upped the brightness not knowing what to expect as I'm on my phone and yeah, that looks pretty damn horrible

Did you notice straight away or when you got back?

Weirdly that one I took my wife wanted to look at the photo and zoomed in herself at the table.. she shit herself and we left ten seconds later. I wanted to take more.
Man, this one is not even the original photo. I've deleted it, then requested someone to send it to me again, so the image quality sucks. But the original one was something else. You could clearly see ... something, faceless.

I havent noticed it right away. We went home, and she texted me saying "you didnt see whats behind me?!". Then I saw it and shat bricks.

Again, I'm an atheist and nothing like this scares me. But I have to admit that this shook me.

Dr.Morris79

Man, this one is not even the original photo. I've deleted it, then requested someone to send it to me again, so the image quality sucks. But the original one was something else. You could clearly see ... something, faceless.
Yeah there's definitely something there, and it doesn't look nice! I'd brick it too

I'm terrible though, I probably would have kept it to study, tripped myself out a lot, carried on studying it, rinse repeat, driving myself crazy

This stuff, I find fascinating. As I get older I am coming around to a fact that there is something else, what it is though, who knows

But there is something

I havent noticed it right away. We went home, and she texted me saying "you didnt see whats behind me?!". Then I saw it and shat bricks.

Again, I'm an atheist and nothing like this scares me. But I have to admit that this shook me.
Same here, never been religious, never really given it any time in the past. Things like this though do make me wonder on occasion 🤔

SJRB

Gold Member

Look behind her:

Lmv5ZJu.jpeg

This is an AI render, isn't it? Nothing in this picture looks real. The girl's proportions are way off.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Not really a believer myself. Once I went to a friend of a friend's house and they had no internal doors because they claimed they had a ghost that messed with them. After about an hour there was a huge noise upstairs and some clothes hangers appeared to have been thrown into the hallway.

I was under the impression that the 4 of us downstairs were the only people in the house but they might have had a family member up there the whole time. I obviously never went back to a strangers house so they might just have got a good deal on doors an were out picking them up.

Dr.Morris79

I was hoping to come in here and see something like this:

WBiWNxm.gif

Not a photobomb from a bartender/waitress.
If it was I wouldn't have posted it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Has no one got a funky Adobe package here they could run the original through and get rid of the noise etc? Any Bladerunner tech here?

We/I need to know wtf that was :messenger_tears_of_joy:

C'mon CSI Gaf 👀

It's been nearly twenty years, it's not a waitress and no one was in front of us!

...I want to believe!

T8SC

There's 3 people at the table, the slightly different position of your camera and your wife moving slightly has made her visible/invisible depending on the photo.

Or

She's the Vidal beast of Sharmutt II.

near

Gold Member
If it was I wouldn't have posted it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Has no one got a funky Adobe package here they could run the original through and get rid of the noise etc? Any Bladerunner tech here?

We/I need to know wtf that was :messenger_tears_of_joy:

C'mon CSI Gaf 👀

It's been nearly twenty years, it's not a waitress and no one was in front of us!

...I want to believe!
It's definitely a face, and they appear to be looking at the table or at least in the direction of where the gents are seated. I'm sure it was just someone that was passing by or serving them something. If it was a ghost or demon of sorts it would've been licking your earlobe or living with you by now lmao.

Dr.Morris79

There's 3 people at the table, the slightly different position of your camera and your wife moving slightly has made her visible/invisible depending on the photo.
There was only two, both facing each other, I remember it vividly after viewing the photo that night, so did she

Or

She's the Vidal beast of Sharmutt II.
I knew it!

The bastard.

There should be millions, no billions of ghosts, no?
Living in Berlin, I didn't experience shite, just once but I still don't believe it was a ghost.

The heavy door in the cellar was rocking back and forth (no wind or anything). I still went in.

Hugare

This is an AI render, isn't it? Nothing in this picture looks real. The girl's proportions are way off.
It isnt

I lost the original, so I used Remini on this one (it even painted her eyes blue lol) to "remaster" it and make the thing more visible

But here's the unedited one

5HzG4ik.jpeg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I would like ghosts to be real. Would be comforting on a level. If I ever saw a ghost of my Dad,Grandads,Nans or my uncle I would be happy

killatopak

Gold Member
Saw ghosts before. I just wasn’t sure if I was imagining things or even in a dream. It happened when I was young so I wasn’t really sure of my memory.

To be specific it was a relative of mine. I didn’t even know she had ulcers at the time. I just knew she was sick but the ghost I saw was her bleeding at the stomach. I only knew she had ulcers when I told my other relatives what I saw and they told me afterwards.

Romulus

I have no idea what your pics are. Since you were there its more evident to you how nonsensical the event is. To me, it looks like a reflection I can't really explain. Maybe not.

However, there's a sub on reddit about paranormal stuff. Tons of family photos with weird shit from all over the world that were never solved. We're talking polaroids going back decades too. It's just impossible that all of them are bullshit and everyone is lying.

I don't know what it is. It's one of those things that we have to go on living our lives and hope we don't encounter it. I do have a gut feeling that we're surrounded by things that would freak us the fuck out but our senses don't detect it. Dogs and cats maybe have a heightened sense of the actual environment around us but we seem clueless until a certain picture or animal gives us a clue.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

I would like ghosts to be real. Would be comforting on a level. If I ever saw a ghost of my Dad,Grandads,Nans or my uncle I would be happy
My thoughts exactly :messenger_heart:

Saw ghosts before. I just wasn’t sure if I was imagining things or even in a dream. It happened when I was young so I wasn’t really sure of my memory.

To be specific it was a relative of mine. I didn’t even know she had ulcers at the time. I just knew she was sick but the ghost I saw was her bleeding at the stomach. I only knew she had ulcers when I told my other relatives what I saw and they told me afterwards.
That's sounds bloody scary enough to me!

There's no evidence that ghosts exist, or even a hypothetical framework of how they could exist.
Well that really depends how far you want to travel down rabbit holes like string theory, Matrix guff, vibrations, magnetic fields, lunacy. The list goes on!

I have no idea what your pics are. Since you were there its more evident to you how nonsensical the event is. To me, it looks like a reflection I can't really explain. Maybe not.
That's the crap thing. I can only say how it was and the only people near us were in the photo, but without any other evidence I might as well be pissing in the wind. The only other weird thing was her saying she felt a chill before taken the photos and her weirdly zooming in on them, she never really did that before but maybe she was being a tad vain. Who knows

However, there's a sub on reddit about paranormal stuff. Tons of family photos with weird shit from all over the world that were never solved. We're talking polaroids going back decades too. It's just impossible that all of them are bullshit and everyone is lying.
I don't suppose you've got a link for that have you? It doesnt matter if not

I don't really use reddit but I wouldn't mind a look

I don't know what it is. It's one of those things that we have to go on living our lives and hope we don't encounter it. I do have a gut feeling that we're surrounded by things that would freak us the fuck out but our senses don't detect it. Dogs and cats maybe have a heightened sense of the actual environment around us but we seem clueless until a certain picture or animal gives us a clue.
True, in a weird way I want to know though. It's part of the reason I was a bit pissed off she wanted to get out so quick, I wanted to take more pics. I'd shite myself if I found more, bit it's damn intriguing 🤔

As for cats/dogs, they definitely have a strange sixth sense, as a kid I had to be left on my own on occasion due to family problems. It was no bother, I was older than my time. One night I awoke in my parents bed to the banging of the wardrobe door opening and closing, I thought it was just me imagining it, sat up and my dog was sitting bolt upright staring at the wardrobe. That done me in a bit..

As for cats. I had two cats both at separate times. Both cats would know when my old man would turn up half hour before he did, even if it was at different times, which I always found odd

And last thing. My Dad, he was always building/inventing things, absolutely bonkers on electronics (He also worked for the National Grid), spent hours, weeks, years tinkering. One of the last things he put together was a device for detecting thunderstorms from way off, which worked perfect

He died in 2021, truly awful time when you couldn't visit people in hospital etc. It came out of nowhere, he was due to come home that week. I'm sitting in the kitchen where he used to sit a day later and that device started going crazy, utterly intermittent that lasted quite a few minutes at a time. A week later, it never worked again and hasn't since. I never really went into the electronic field and I can't find his schematics for it round the house so I've just had it on my desk since

KSwlrf1.jpeg

Who knows what's out there 🤷‍♂️

I've had a fear of ghosts ever since watching Scary movie 2 and the ghost sex scene.
kequAND.gif
Don't watch this then :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ovauI2p.jpeg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well that really depends how far you want to travel down rabbit holes like string theory, Matrix guff, vibrations, magnetic fields, lunacy. The list goes on!

Yes, but going down those rabbit holes doesn't necessarily result in good evidence. You may get inferences, inductions, educated guesses, and eyewitness testimony, but it's weak evidence. None of those rabbit holes have led to scenarios where you can control variables, create a test, record empirical data, repeat these tests reliably, or take the lessons learned and make predictions about ghosts that come true.

Take your photo in the OP, for example. There are many natural causes that can explain what you experienced and what's in the photo. Until you rule those out, there is little reason to give weight to a supernatural cause since a supernatural cause is way way way more unlikely and implausible.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't know. Maybe?

I had a visual experience once. I was completely sober as well. People have told me I was hallucinating, but I don't buy that. I've never just started hallucinating randomly in my life. Also, the experience was very vivid. It absolutely was not the "mind playing tricks" which is the skeptical equivalent of "God moves is mysterious ways".

I don't know what it was. I'm not claiming it was the spirit of the dead. I'm just claiming I saw something that currently cannot be explained.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Yea man but ghosts can only be captured in glimpses through terrible photo quality, just like aliens, and big foot. Also you have to want to believe

What befuddles me is that when we gave every human being on the planet access to a handheld video camera all the supernatural stuff just left our planet?? Can anyone help me figure this out

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
My little brother experienced contact when he was about 10.

Multiple.

I know my brother.

Oh and he wasn't happy about that phase and that's an understatement

My nephew when he was about six or seven claimed he had seen a ghostly figure from his bedroom of an elderly man and a small white dog on a few occasions, roaming the landing and staircase. He also claimed to have heard scratching at night randomly around his bedroom.

My sister did some digging and found out that one of the previous occupiers of the house, in the late 1970s was (yes you guessed it) an elderly gentleman who had a West Highland White Terrier.

My nephew (now 24) always maintained the same version of events , and claimed he never felt scared and only a friendly presence.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm a firm believer that there is SOMETHING past death that we can't understand, hence the countless religions that dwell on it. There are ABSOLUTELY places where bad things went down and you DO NOT want to stay there. Hard to express in words but its a freak ass experience.

Was looking at a house once, big ranch style ona couple of acres. Inone of the upstairs rooms there was a little door. Led to an attic space, fairly common for homes built around a certain time period when you could use non insulated attic space to store stuff. Then there was an another little door. Led to a small room, in which there was a child's chair, facing the back wall. Now, mind you, this was a house FOR SALE, and this thing was there. Never heard a more clear "GET THE FUCK OUT" message in all my life :p

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I'm a firm believer that there is SOMETHING past death that we can't understand, hence the countless religions that dwell on it. There are ABSOLUTELY places where bad things went down and you DO NOT want to stay there. Hard to express in words but its a freak ass experience.

Was looking at a house once, big ranch style ona couple of acres. Inone of the upstairs rooms there was a little door. Led to an attic space, fairly common for homes built around a certain time period when you could use non insulated attic space to store stuff. Then there was an another little door. Led to a small room, in which there was a child's chair, facing the back wall. Now, mind you, this was a house FOR SALE, and this thing was there. Never heard a more clear "GET THE FUCK OUT" message in all my life :p

Im Not No Way GIF

Hookshot

Gold Member

Hope you didn't touch the chair :messenger_ghost:

Soodanim

My blanket statement for anything remotely supernatural or paranormal is that I have never seen anything that has given me reason to believe that any of it exists. Either there is a perfectly plausible explanation that is obvious or I wasn't there so I'm not in a position to prove or disprove.

For the OP mystery, of 2 people drinking at night paying attention to each other, one person feels a bit of a chill (at night) then a person they didn't see in one picture suddenly appears in a second picture where all people are in different positions. That's not exactly a scenario where all other possibilities have been crossed off the list in my book.

For Hugare's, I haven't exactly got much to go on. Someone I don't know posted a low res image with a convenient story about a lack of hi-res original that would show or not show objects in the background of a building I've never seen before. I'm not going to view that as conclusive just because there is a shape that to our pattern recognising human brains resembles the shape of a Hollywood horror film character. Even if you're being 100% genuine Huges, what's provided isn't nearly enough for me to believe it.

Somewhat related: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

Until empirically proven or I and trusted close friends of mine all of sound body and mind also witness and we without a shadow of a doubt cannot explain using the known laws of the universe I will remain a sceptic.

Paranormal fantasy shit, coupled with religious zealot shit, could make your mind go cooky especially if you're vulnerable in society. You don't even have to be an Arkham Asylum candidate (like myself) to feel that negative energy creeping into you.. The mind plays tricks in those final moments of desperation.

Mr1999

As I get older I am coming around to a fact that there is something else, what it is though, who knows
Ive said this story before but ill say it again, decades ago my aunts husband had passed away and she was at our house talking to my mom, crying and basically cursing him out loud for not leaving her anything. All of a sudden while I was in my room, I heard a cry of a man, it was loud enough where I stopped what I was doing to walk over to the living room to ask my mom if she heard that, as im coming in I see the front door swung open and both of them looking walking back from looking for the source of that sound, and basically starring at each other, and I remembered their eyes were wide open and they asked me if I heard that too, I said yea I did, its why I walked over. then my mom looked back to my aunt to tell her could that have been him?

It was strange because it happened right in the middle of her lamentation and we all heard it, we all abruptly stopped what we were doing when it happened. I have brought it up only 1 time to my cousin and he was stunned when I told what happened, told him not to bring it up to her cause she gets scared. I honestly don't know what it was, but it sounded exactly like a man crying out loud in pain, like a deep cry, I get goosebumps replaying that in my head. I still think about it today, and the only explanation that I can think of was that we lived near a school at that time, and maybe someone was walking down the street and heard her crying and mocked her cries, but it was on a weekend and no one was walking, and the sound was coming from the living room, which was the right of my room. He had passed roughly a week or two when this happened and before passing he had visited us and his other family members to say his goodbyes.

That's the only time Ive ever experienced something paranormal.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've seen things that I can't explain, but I won't go as far as calling them ghosts.

One evening I was in Charleston SC walking down East Bay Street toward the Battery when I saw a woman standing on the steps outside of an old building at the corner of East Bay and Broad street. She was wearing an older style dress with a big bustle in the back and she had a big hat on. I thought there was some period dress up party or something happening. I looked away for a second to cross the street and looked back and she was just gone. I thought she went inside the building where she was standing. When I got to the corner where she was standing the building was locked and the lights were off. I could see in every direction she could have walked and she was nowhere. I was kind of weirded out.

Saw so many weird things down there like that. The ghost walks are really good in old cities.

Top Bottom