• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts. Real, or a figment of our imagination?

Draugoth

Gold Member
I saw an U.F.O some 17ish years ago, but i wish it was a ghost instead, at least i would die knowing my suffering working 9-5 would end (i think.... being trapped in a house would probably be pure torture).

Science is incredible but extremely flawed, it has been 200 years since science was developed and no one figured out a drug to make hair grow back and just know we found out microplastic is toxic, that's pretty telling to me.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've seen things that I can't explain, but I won't go as far as calling them ghosts.

One evening I was in Charleston SC walking down East Bay Street toward the Battery when I saw a woman standing on the steps outside of an old building at the corner of East Bay and Broad street. She was wearing an older style dress with a big bustle in the back and she had a big hat on. I thought there was some period dress up party or something happening. I looked away for a second to cross the street and looked back and she was just gone. I thought she went inside the building where she was standing. When I got to the corner where she was standing the building was locked and the lights were off. I could see in every direction she could have walked and she was nowhere. I was kind of weirded out.

Saw so many weird things down there like that. The ghost walks are really good in old cities.
I feel like Charleston and Savannah are just weird hotspots for that kind of stuff. Haunted pub crawls are LEGENDARY in those cities. I'm sure the yankees have them as well but nothing beats a good southern haunting!

ReBurn

Gold Member
I feel like Charleston and Savannah are just weird hotspots for that kind of stuff. Haunted pub crawls are LEGENDARY in those cities. I'm sure the yankees have them as well but nothing beats a good southern haunting!
I agree. Haunted pub crawls are a lot of fun. There are so many places to get creeped out even if you don't believe in ghosts.

Supernatural/paranormal stuff is very real. I've had a handful of inexplicable occurrences. Among them, once when I worked at a summer camp, the main cabin was the only place with Wi-Fi, and between 1AM-4AM was the only time in the night to get some solace from the campers. The main cabin was extremely old, and extremely rickety. Any movement within, or someone coming inside or out made a ton of noise. The cabin also had numerous musical instruments because we would do camp songs with the kiddos. Anyway, I went to the cabin for a midnight snack and solitude. I made absolutely sure that I was alone in the cabin because if anyone else were there I would go elsewhere on the campgrounds or to stargaze by the lake. The cabin was EMPTY, aside from me. As I was having a midnight snack, I heard a cello play itself. No one was inside with me while I was in there, and no one came in or out while I was there (like I said, anyone coming in or out, or moving in any way would cause the cabin to creak very loudly) - but still I heard a few notes get plucked on the cello behind me. I play guitar and bass, so I went to investigate whether the notes I heard were open notes that could've resonated by something falling - the notes I heard could only be played by pressing down on the neck. I was shook, so I decided to gtfo.

Another time, I went to hang out with a friend whose family owned a massage parlor. She had keys to go in there after hours and we would go there occasionally after grabbing dinner. We were about to leave one night, and she asked me if I could check each room to make sure they were empty, and to turn off all the lights - I did. I checked all the rooms and made sure no one was there, and afterward, I turned off all the lights from the main switch at the back of the main hall. When I got back to the front reception desk, my friend told me she felt uneasy. A second after she says that to me, the door behind me forcefully flung open on its own and ALL of the lights were turned back on. She screamed and ran out. I was fascinated so I went to investigate, and again, all the rooms were EMPTY, but the lights I had just turned off had indeed been switched back on. The only entrance/exit to the parlor was from the front reception desk. I was more fascinated and intrigued than scared. Bewildered more than anything.

I've had others but this was already broaching TL;DR. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

FunkMiller

It's a window. A reflective surface. There are multiple ways the woman's face could have been included in the picture.

Ghosts don't exist. Nothing does that does not obey the laws of thermodynamics.

Any ghostly or supernatural events experienced by human beings can all be explained in one perfectly natural way or another. Starting with the endless capacity humans have for delusion and superstition, born from our need to think we see the tiger in the long grass, even if it's not there.

The fact every single person has a camera phone in their pocket these days that can capture very high resolution photos and videos - and yet there are still no clear evidence of ghosts anywhere should tell you all you need to know about this subject.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Supernatural/paranormal stuff is very real. I've had a handful of inexplicable occurrences. Among them, once when I worked at a summer camp, the main cabin was the only place with Wi-Fi, and between 1AM-4AM was the only time in the night to get some solace from the campers. The main cabin was extremely old, and extremely rickety. Any movement within, or someone coming inside or out made a ton of noise. The cabin also had numerous musical instruments because we would do camp songs with the kiddos. Anyway, I went to the cabin for a midnight snack and solitude. I made absolutely sure that I was alone in the cabin because if anyone else were there I would go elsewhere on the campgrounds or to stargaze by the lake. The cabin was EMPTY, aside from me. As I was having a midnight snack, I heard a cello play itself. No one was inside with me while I was in there, and no one came in or out while I was there (like I said, anyone coming in or out, or moving in any way would cause the cabin to creak very loudly) - but still I heard a few notes get plucked on the cello behind me. I play guitar and bass, so I went to investigate whether the notes I heard were open notes that could've resonated by something falling - the notes I heard could only be played by pressing down on the neck. I was shook, so I decided to gtfo.

Another time, I went to hang out with a friend whose family owned a massage parlor. She had keys to go in there after hours and we would go there occasionally after grabbing dinner. We were about to leave one night, and she asked me if I could check each room to make sure they were empty, and to turn off all the lights - I did. I checked all the rooms and made sure no one was there, and afterward, I turned off all the lights from the main switch at the back of the main hall. When I got back to the front reception desk, my friend told me she felt uneasy. A second after she says that to me, the door behind me forcefully flung open on its own and ALL of the lights were turned back on. She screamed and ran out. I was fascinated so I went to investigate, and again, all the rooms were EMPTY, but the lights I had just turned off had indeed been switched back on. The only entrance/exit to the parlor was from the front reception desk. I was more fascinated and intrigued than scared. Bewildered more than anything.

I've had others but this was already broaching TL;DR. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Soodanim

I saw an U.F.O some 17ish years ago, but i wish it was a ghost instead, at least i would die knowing my suffering working 9-5 would end (i think.... being trapped in a house would probably be pure torture).

Science is incredible but extremely flawed, it has been 200 years since science was developed and no one figured out a drug to make hair grow back and just know we found out microplastic is toxic, that's pretty telling to me.
Trapped by what, an old Gypsy curse? Who's making the rules that bounds a ghost to a house? Do afterlife authorities take a lot of stock in property ownership laws?

What's telling about those 2 examples? Using a god of the gaps argument doesn't make anything more likely.

This thread, like all ghost stuff, is already filled with inconsistencies and things lifted directly from fiction. And you can't say "We don't know", because that just exposes that people are filling in gaps with their imagination and things they've lifted from works of fiction. Which actually is probably very close to the truth.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I've been inherently interested in the paranormal since I can remember but I get physically upset regarding those ghosthunting shows and insta/tiktok clips.

Hate that shit in my core.

/Rant

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
When I was seven or eight I stayed at a friend's house that was supposedly haunted. Turned out to just be a few foxes that were howling at night and messing around.

Lunarorbit

Ghosts are not real.

Like why aren't there cow ghost? Fly ghosts? Dinosaur ghosts?

It's the human mind trying to explain something they experienced that they can't explain.

Get this shit off my message board.

Also the Earth isn't flat and man DID land on the moon.
Ah, duh! Animals don't have souls.

Plus are we sure the earth is round? I mean all the pictures we have are 2d so....

Soodanim

If they were real, could you imagine the quantity of them. There are far more dead people than living.

Dead insect ghosts would make it impossible to see anything. Be a constant fog of every dead fly or moth ever.

Ghosts are not real.

Like why aren't there cow ghost? Fly ghosts? Dinosaur ghosts?

It's the human mind trying to explain something they experienced that they can't explain.

Get this shit off my message board.

Also the Earth isn't flat and man DID land on the moon.
Can you all please stop bringing logic and reason into this 😡😠

RaduN

Well, let's rule out all possible natural/obvious explanations first, before going down the Swayze route.

Lunarorbit

There are still animal ghosts though, someone in the thread earlier mentioned a ghost dog.
Hmm. I can't really refute that.

Animals have souls!

Pet sementary is real. That Achilles scene with the grandpa. Ugh.

Lunarorbit

There are still animal ghosts though, someone in the thread earlier mentioned a ghost dog.
Ghost Rabbit - Thetford Warren Lodge
The Lodge was built in the 15th century by monks from the nearby Cluniac priory for the person who looked after the rabbits in the Westwick rabbit warren. In those days, rabbits were an import source of both fresh meat and fur and they were farmed much as we farm sheep. And the animal ghost that haunts here is a white rabbit. It has been seen several times, hopping around near the building. A ghostly reminder of the history of the area.

Ghost rabbits!

Hookshot

Gold Member
Ghost Rabbit - Thetford Warren Lodge
The Lodge was built in the 15th century by monks from the nearby Cluniac priory for the person who looked after the rabbits in the Westwick rabbit warren. In those days, rabbits were an import source of both fresh meat and fur and they were farmed much as we farm sheep. And the animal ghost that haunts here is a white rabbit. It has been seen several times, hopping around near the building. A ghostly reminder of the history of the area.

Ghost rabbits!
If you click the ghost pets bit there's a ghost monkey, but sadly people only hear it scratching, you don't get to see it.

Edit - just noticed it has a "gay ghosts" section :messenger_tears_of_joy:🌈

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

If you click the ghost pets bit there's a ghost monkey, but sadly people only hear it scratching, you don't get to see it.

Edit - just noticed it has a "gay ghosts" section :messenger_tears_of_joy:🌈
Gay ghosts? Oscar Wilde has a new kinda ugly statue going up in England so maybe he'll haunt that

1296.jpg

RaduN

The "Ghosts" tv shows are quite good. The US and the UK one.

I like the Osbourne's kid show, where he asks his.parents to rate different paranormal videos. Mostly a hilarious show (i mean Ozzy is just pure gold) but there's interesting footage too.

Hookshot

Gold Member
I see it. But could it be just a coincidence with shadow and Pixel processing that formed a face there.

Then how come the latest camera tech like one inch sensors, f1.7 lenses are not capturing things like this but it's always the ancient cameras. I just don't get it.
I just figured it was someone in shadow squeezed between the girls and the guys.

INC

Maybe what we're seeing is a shift between parallel dimensions, and they're just as freaked out, seeing us freak out

I've only ever had 1 weird thing happened, at the time my niece was maybe 18 months to 2 years old, so just beginning to speak. Around that time my father died (obviously her grandfather), and can't remember the exact timeliness of when this happened, but one day we were sitting in my mums front room with her, and see started pointing to the wall, this was a blank wall, no picture or anything, and we thought maybe it was a spider or something, until my mum asked her what she was pointing at, and see replied "grand dad" and started to wave at the wall.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't believe in anything but when my youngest son passed away his older brother who was 2 and a half at the time started waking up in the middle of the night and he would play and giggle and talk to someone sometimes for hrs on end. He never did this before his brother passed away.

When I was in my early teens, I lived in an apartment with my immediate family and an uncle who was staying with us at the time. I don't know if it was a poltergeist that resided on the property, or if my uncle had some bad juju that was following him around - but there were multiple instances of paranormal occurrences that happened right in front of me that were mostly directed toward my uncle. The "ghost" or poltergeist mostly hung around his room, which was in plain view of the living room where I had my gaming setup. Multiple times, I would be gaming in the living room, with my uncle being the only other person in the apartment. When he would step out of his room to go to the kitchen or bathroom, the door would slam HARD behind him seconds after he would step out. Other times he would leave for work, while I stayed home alone gaming in the living room. He would happen to leave the door to his room open, and surely enough the door would slam HARD on its own after a few minutes of him being gone. The first few times this happened we thoroughly investigated but found nothing. The door would somehow slam with force by itself, or because of a "ghost" in his room that was telling him to gtfo. Eventually, I always closed the door every time he would leave it open after going to work because I was tired of getting spooked.

Another time I was alone with my brother, and the rest of my family had gone out of town. One night around ~12AM we heard a loud crash come from the kitchen, and we immediately went to investigate. All the cabinets were open, all the chairs at the dining table had been pulled out and disorganized, the fridge was opened, and all curtains in my living room were on the floor. We thoroughly investigated the entire apartment to look for an intruder, but all the doors and windows were closed, and it was empty aside from us.

This same apartment was also the only place/time I've ever felt something I couldn't see, physically smack me with force as I was lying down. I had just lied down to go to bed (which was by my open bedroom door, also by the living room), and while still wide-awake staring toward my feet, preparing for sleep, something slapped my foot with enough force to swing my whole foot to the side. I was wide-awake and had my eyes open when this happened. There was nothing I could see in front of me or at the foot of my bed, yet my foot got slapped forcefully and swayed to the side. I've never slept with my bare feet hanging off the bed since then. :messenger_face_screaming:

Mossybrew

It is pretty funny that OP starts this topic with the least impressive "ghost" picture ever, OMG some lady in the background at a restaurant, so creepy!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm a believer in paralel dimensions. Maybe once in a while the two realities mildly cross a little bit.

I don't think it has anything to do with us, however. It's not the dead. These "ghosts" are people who were never here at all.

The dead have no connection to this world. They have no say whatsoever in what happens on Earth. The dead don't speak, they don't act, nothing. These are other kinds of beings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom