• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Overall it was a good watch. Vinny failed to sharpen his moves stats for the entire game, sparring/practicing maybe twice altogether. He didn't even know there was a dodge button until the final 2 battles. There were also several locations that he either never entered, or never really engaged with. He also missed a lot in the beginning, seemingly because he was expecting more modern QOL conventions. He probably would've benefited from reading the manual before playing.

I can only hope Alex doesn't return for Shenmue 2. All of his snarky criticism was misplaced and uninformed. There were a few times when Dan or Vinny would start to say something positive about the game, or start to enjoy the fighting, and he would immediately rain down negativity. I'm sure he has his fans, but he was just a grating presence on me from start to finish.

EDIT: No one seemed to mention the music/directing at all. Alex had to say the shot of Lan Di on a boat was "a bad shot" but they all failed to mention all of the excellent shots throughout the game. Suzuki studied a lot of kung fu flicks and really nailed the direction and camera work IMO. You don't really see cinematics treated as film like that nowadays.

The music was phenomenal too, a lot of different takes on the main theme, very professionally done.

The music and direction are AAA and better than most games today.

The scene where Ryo and Gui Zhang fight it out and Terry's going to smash Gui Zhang is amazing.

Spaghetti

Yeah, I don't really see what was wrong with that boat shot. I'm pretty sure I've seen that distanced tracking shot in plenty of movies, although I do feel the shot lingered a bit too long, but whatever.

The opening is the peak of the cinematography in the first game, IMO. The sequel ups the ante big time on that stuff, and is more consistent throughout.

Shenmue II is up there with Metal Gear Solid 2 for early cinematography in video games, I think.

Yeah, I don't really see what was wrong with that boat shot. I'm pretty sure I've seen that distanced tracking shot in plenty of movies, although I do feel the shot lingered a bit too long, but whatever.

The opening is the peak of the cinematography in the first game, IMO. The sequel ups the ante big time on that stuff, and is more consistent throughout.

Shenmue II is up there with Metal Gear Solid 2 for early cinematography in video games, I think.

I love how they use the action shots from Jackie Chan movies where the camera shows the same thing from a different angle.

Hong Kong cinema is all over Shenmue II.

Spaghetti

I love how they use the action shots from Jackie Chan movies where the camera shows the same thing from a different angle.

Hong Kong cinema is all over Shenmue II.
That's kind of what I was thinking of, I'm pretty sure a similar shot is in the opening of Police Story when he drives the car through the shanty town.

I've seen it a lot in television dramas in the 70s and 80s too.

openrob

Overall it was a good watch. Vinny failed to sharpen his moves stats for the entire game, sparring/practicing maybe twice altogether. He didn't even know there was a dodge button until the final 2 battles. There were also several locations that he either never entered, or never really engaged with. He also missed a lot in the beginning, seemingly because he was expecting more modern QOL conventions. He probably would've benefited from reading the manual before playing.

I can only hope Alex doesn't return for Shenmue 2. All of his snarky criticism was misplaced and uninformed. There were a few times when Dan or Vinny would start to say something positive about the game, or start to enjoy the fighting, and he would immediately rain down negativity. I'm sure he has his fans, but he was just a grating presence on me from start to finish.

EDIT: No one seemed to mention the music/directing at all. Alex had to say the shot of Lan Di on a boat was "a bad shot" but they all failed to mention all of the excellent shots throughout the game. Suzuki studied a lot of kung fu flicks and really nailed the direction and camera work IMO. You don't really see cinematics treated as film like that nowadays.

The music was phenomenal too, a lot of different takes on the main theme, very professionally done.

You speak my language haha

Welp, there it is. It's easy to see why, at the time, it was such a crazy thing - there really was nothing else... like it.

- Um...
- Discs 1 & 2 may as well have not even existed, just toss in a quick cutscene at the start of disc 3
- Fighting regularly yielded tons of incredible moments of hitting someone out of the air or clean off screen
- Some of the worst voice acting
- Some of the best worst voice acting
- Tom was hot garbage, until he was hot fire:
- Incredible logo section in the credits
nhr7bou.gif
- Bring on the S2ER

Good job BEAST for making it through. All three were on fire
(boy)
and really shows how great they are together. Can't wait for their coming content when Dan moves.

<>

LiK

Hah, totally forgot about the Chai fight. I actually forgot about this character completely. Don't even remember how well I did against him back in the day.

Spaghetti

the controls and camera were bad so fighting those bosses were a pain. Vinny did well.
Camera gets hairy in tight spaces (and I guess 4:3 aspect ratio doesn't help), but I completely disagree about the fighting controls. If they were actually bad, Vinny would have fared faaaaar worse.

LiK

Camera gets hairy in tight spaces (and I guess 4:3 aspect ratio doesn't help), but I completely disagree about the fighting controls. If they were actually bad, Vinny would have fared faaaaar worse.

Vinny can make the impossible possible. 8)

No c'mon. He had trouble walking around the whole game because of the weird tank controls. The combat is pretty common sense and responsive. Give the game credit where it's due.

There's a lot of different play styles people can have in Shenmue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCF7lTrD8Mc

He plays very differently from me, or even Vinny. I like that you can get through it with your own play style. I see this as a positive attribute.

When I played Shenmue I remember learning a move where basically you hit the enemy by thrusting your palms forward almost hadouken-style. I remember basically just spamming that move like all game.

orient

Neo Member
When I played Shenmue I remember learning a move where basically you hit the enemy by thrusting your palms forward almost hadouken-style. I remember basically just spamming that move like all game.

They missed learning that move at the start of the game. It's basically the easiest power move you can do.

Those wondering where the money went need to look at other games that came out in late '99. Shenmue was lightyears ahead in terms of graphics and tech.

I loved the run. Sad to see it's over but excited for the sequel! It has its slow parts, too, but overall Shenmue 2 is a much better paced, fleshed out game with much better characters.

Hot tip for Shenmue 2: you don't need to
pay your rent
, which means you don't have to lift crates at the start of the game if you don't want to. Do it a few times, but when you actually need to make money.

openrob

I like his style. The perfect opposite of buttons mashing.

Yeah it's pretty cool. During the fight I usually use trample kick + twin hand waves then run when my health is low lol.

Once I actually started learning jujitsu l I went back and tried to play a little more like this.

Kyari

I enjoyed this endurance run a lot, and I'm sad its over, but it makes people defending Shenmue seem INSANE to me.

have you sent it their way? That's great.

I did on Twitter but I don't think they saw it since they probably get like 903489234 notifications, Dan did though since he liked it. I also don't like annoying people constantly about what I did so, yeah. Thought I'd share it here since I forgot to do so earlier today haha.

Hope you all enjoy it.

I have to wonder... do saves from the US version of Shenmue carry over to the European/ Pal version of Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast?

No. Blame Peter Moore.

However you can transfer and convert the file.

I'm truly perplexed why they taught you some moves so late in the game. Totally forgot about those.

Most of them for clearing large groups of enemies. Putting two and two together, with the 70 man battle, they're meant to assist the player and give them an edge like any Kung fu story about the growth of the heroes skill in martial arts. Since you're fighting more and more enemies, and the characters literally say "this is for fighting large groups of enemies" it's the game telling you to use them because they will help.

The move the Chen's teach you is a big tip off versus Chai. Chai's weakness is in his legs. A trip like that leaves Chai vulnerable.

It's not hard.

LiK

Yeesh guys, don't be so defensive about the game. I loved Shenmue when I originally played it. But it certainly didn't age well. Let some criticisms slide.

I was just being frank. Said nothing about criticism. Didn't even feel like criticism. I didn't mean to come off as defensive. I was just being honest. Seemed like a weird thought to have since we all saw those very moves - especially Tom's - lay dudes out during the 70 man battle.

Top Bottom