• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Disappointed that Alex didn't make an analogy between Tom and Poochie. He even flies back to his home planet at the end.

Great endurance run and i definitely see what people like about shenmue now . Hopi g the shenmue 2 ER is not too far away.

Great, I can't wait to watch the finale later today.
Thanks for the amazingly entetaining endurance run GBeast!
Now, the suffering must continue. Shenmue 2, let's go.

Hasney

Q: I heard there used to be "Chapter 2 - the Boat" between "Chapter 1 - Yokosuka" and
"Shenmue II," but actually, II begins with the scene Ryo disembarks from the boat.
There, the mother with a girl mentions something on the boat, doesn't she?

Yu-san: Yes. "Chapter 2 - the Boat" included in the original scenario has disappeared
completely.
Masaya: Yeah, that's right. The Boat! In fact, Chai reappears. He's survived being
knocked off into the sea at Yokosuka harbor, and fights with Ryo as an unseen opponent
on the boat. There was a scenario like that.

Man, hearing Vinny go into full meltdown having to fight Gollum again would slay me. Shame it never came out.

loved the whole series. The exasperation, the acoustic, the endless search for Sailors, Chinese and the word Fireball, good times.

I really hope they do find time for a Shenmue II run at some point as I've never played it and this seems as good of a way to witness it as any.

dan2026

So this game ends and literally nothing happens?

Talk about a hot mess trash fire. Oh well, at least it made for some fun videos.

colonyoo

giphy.gif

I dunno how they had it in them to be so hard on Tom, Tom rules.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Great endurance run, it's funny how much context my brain has invented over time that really didn't exist, I remember I trained every day after work and maxed out all the moves but watching it again I can't imagine why I bothered to do that.

I still think the 70 man battle is great though, that was one of my first online highscore chase experiences (you can replay it on disc 4 and compare your completion times with the rest of the world).

I think actually the combat system is the one thing that's exactly how I remember it, it really was a lot of fun it's just a shame that there was really only that 1 set piece in the whole game where you get to experiment with it and really feel like you're making choices about how to fight.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
With how they feel about jumping into Shenmue 2, they shouldn't have called this an endurance run. They should have treated it like Metal Gear Scanlon and just have called it Vinmue. The next feature could have been called Vinmue 2.

Bowlie

Banned
Chasing the Mad Angels and working at the harbor turned out to be pretty useless since all Ryo had to do was wait until Chai showed up. Terry, who at times looked like the final boss, was introduced and dismissed in 2 hours.

If he really were a "final boss you didn't even know existed until the last hours", then you could call this game a JRPG.

dogpowerd

Banned
Wow that was the most sedate glacially paced revenge story I have ever seen. Some kung-fu guy killed my dad now it's time for PAYBACK! *Spends 500 hours wandering around town doing nothing.

Most ppl need to realise shenmue 1 is a prologue. Shenmue 2 is where it takes off and opens up massively.

Im sure i read both games were suppose to be one but due to size, they couldnt do it

Spaghetti

Wow that was the most sedate glacially paced revenge story I have ever seen. Some kung-fu guy killed my dad now it's time for PAYBACK! *Spends 500 hours wandering around town doing nothing.
Like it or not, that's kind of what makes Shenmue what it is.

Although they do step on the gas pedal significantly in parts of II.

Kiske

Most ppl need to realise shenmue 1 is a prologue. Shenmue 2 is where it takes off and opens up massively.

Im sure i read both games were suppose to be one but due to size, they couldnt do it

To be honest, at the time I enjoyed Shenmue way before disc 3, during my first playthrough.

If you don't like it by the end of the first chapter, I really doubt you will love it despite the improvements they made in Shenmue 2.

gogojira

What's the best way to play Shenmue 2 at this point? Only slightly off topic. ;)

I have the old PAL version for DC but that seems like a pain in the ass. Would it be he Xbox version? Wish they would have put them on some digital store or another.

Spaghetti

I'm sure i read both games were suppose to be one but due to size, they couldnt do it
Up until like maybe a year (or possibly less) before the release of the original Shenmue they were one game.

Pressure from SEGA forced the split, but there were likely technical issues like compression that were troubling development. They figured it out, obviously, otherwise II wouldn't have been as big as it was despite only being a single disk longer.

Spaghetti

What's the best way to play Shenmue 2 at this point? Only slightly off topic. ;)

I have the old PAL version for DC but that seems like a pain in the ass. Would it be he Xbox version? Wish they would have put them on some digital store or another.
On hardware? Dreamcast is usually the prevailing opinion, but it depends on your preferences. If you can put up with the English dub and too much bloom lighting, then Xbox.

Emulation of the Xbox version is spotty on 360, though.

Dreamcast version because no dub.

Dreamcast. VGA -> HDMI, no bloom lighting, Japanese dub. Emulated, you can play it in 1080p and 4k. Shenmue II on 360 is the most accessible version however, and has better water. On hardware, Shenmue IIX has better load times, but emulated II has faster load times than on Xbox and zero slowdown. So Dreamcast still wins.

Compare for yourself.

Shenmue II Dreamcast vs Xbox vs Demul vs 360

in addition:

Shenmue II in 4k emulated No contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqxH8shaO_c

That's the first time I've actually seen Shenmue, and I'm kind of boggled that it cost $47 million. It's not massively long for that era, the gameworld isn't particularly huge, I don't really know where the money went. I guess they spent it all on 300 unique NPC models, unique voice actors and interiors for places that weren't plot relevant, like the pizza parlour? A really long development time period? A really big marketing campaign?

It's rather flawed. Ryo has very little agency in investigating his fathers death, instead NPCs provide all the exposition on what to do and when.

They clearly wanted something more story focused for the time, but what story is there is spread far too thin - a whole game of the first 45 minutes of the Hobbit where you're waiting for them to go on an adventure; and most of your objectives are obvious padding. This'd be more acceptable if it were wide, with social links and optional missions, but that's not really the case either.

They clearly wanted something less combat focused, but the removal of combat gameplay isn't really replaced with any non-combat gameplay other than the vehicle sections. If you were to do it from scratch today, adding stuff like dialogue choices, interrogations or detective style investigation sections would solve the issues of agency and lack of gameplay.

As for Shenmue 1 and 2, it's impossible for me to not consider them one game and one experience. They're tied together. It has been said they originally supposed to be one game, and when I say what my favorite game is I always Shenmue 1 and 2 because I can't separate them. That said, as much as I love Shenmue 1, it is nothing to compared to how much I love II. II is the reason I'm such a big Shenmue fan. If I had to choose, I'd take II every day of the week and taken as a game by itself, it's easily my favorite game of all time. But as an experience, I refuse to separate the two of them.

This'd be more acceptable if it were wide, with social links and optional missions, but that's not really the case either.

That is the case here.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Oh, man. They need to do the Shenmue 2.

But until they do that, what we gonna do with our lives now?

Spaghetti

That's the first time I've actually seen Shenmue, and I'm kind of boggled that it cost $47 million. It's not massively long for that era, the gameworld isn't particularly huge, I don't really know where the money went. I guess they spent it all on 300 unique NPC models, unique voice actors and interiors for places that weren't plot relevant, like the pizza parlour? A really long development time period? A really big marketing campaign?
The game was meant to be the content of the original Shenmue + Shenmue II, which is why the original seems padded out and cut off at the knees. The development budget accounted for both games, plus the unfinished Saturn version that nobody knew about until 2001, but also a lot of the technology in the game (that we take for granted now and can easily be done in an engine like UE4) had to be built from the ground up.

Shenmue II is where you really see the money in terms of scope and size, at least.

Tom is literally Poochie but at least he leaves for his planet on an awesome note.

I have never understood the Tom leaving scene. He gives more emotion towards Tom than Nozomi. "Tom, my friend..." as it zooms on to a plane flying in the sky. Just weird.

Tom we are not friends!

Spaghetti

Tom is literally Poochie but at least he leaves for his planet on an awesome note.

I have never understood the Tom leaving scene. He gives more emotion towards Tom than Nozomi. "Tom, my friend..." as it zooms on to a plane flying in the sky. Just weird.

Tom we are not friends!
You're going to be calling him up in Shenmue III, just like the rest of us.

*ring ring*

"It's Ryo"

"HOW ABOUT A DOG MON"

Dineren

Banned
So what is the recommended emulator to play Shenmue II on these days? I want to play through it again, but I don't really feel like pulling out my Dreamcast (and my Xbox has probably been killed by that capacitor by now).

Though it seems like every time I've tried emulation in the past there has been graphic or sound glitches that irritated me too much to continue on.

So what is the recommended emulator to play Shenmue II on these days? I want to play through it again, but I don't really feel like pulling out my Dreamcast (and my Xbox has probably been killed by that capacitor by now).

Though it seems like every time I've tried emulation in the past there has been graphic or sound glitches that irritated me too much to continue on.

This one I believe:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46995

I'm surprised they didn't eventually connect that the combat is not that different from Dark Souls. Dodge button. Opponent whiffs. Counter with massive move. Don't button mash against bosses.

I think Vinny eventually got his Dark Souls light bulb turn on against Petre (the tall guy). Interesting to watch.

Tactic to use: use the run button (LT) to run away and have them chase you while you regain health. Of course, you can run out of stamina, but it's worth the risk.

Spaghetti

Depends on your system. Demul is hardware accurate and least likely to glitch out on you, but it's a real resource hog.

You're going to be calling him up in Shenmue III, just like the rest of us.

*ring ring*

"It's Ryo"

"HOW ABOUT A DOG MON"

Haha. I'm going to be calling everyone on that card. I have donated 120 dollars to Shenmue III and I will be giving them 60 more when they announce that pc version is announced for slacker backer. I really hope you can call Xiuying, Fuku, and Ine. Hopefully Naoyuki and Ichirou too. I really hope Xiuying isn't relegated entirely out because of that character poll.

Kalor

The whole series was fun to watch. It got rough towards the end of disc 1 but it picked up dramatically after that when the plot actually moved forward. I think I'll try to play Shenmue 2 now.

Top Bottom