• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GigaWing 3 announced

jarrod

Banned
Don't shoot if it's old...

The Japanese arcade magazine Arcadia reported that Takumi / Capcom is working on a new sequel to the vertical scrolling shooter Giga Wing, called Yoku Shin Gaia Wing Generation.

...says MagicBox. I'm betting it's on the PS2 based System 246... Capcom seems to be making something of an arcade comeback recently (Zeta Gundam, Capcom Fighting Jam, HSF2X, Vampire Chronicle, etc).

MoxManiac

Can't say I saw that coming...wow. To be honest though, I didn't like Gigawing 1 and 2. I'd rather have a Mars Matrix 2, but Capcom only published that, right?

jarrod

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Can't say I saw that coming...wow. To be honest though, I didn't like Gigawing 1 and 2. I'd rather have a Mars Matrix 2, but Capcom only published that, right?
Capcom only published all 3 actually, Takumi developed them.

Gigawing Generations will be released on Taito's new TypeX arcade hardware, a Windows XP-based technology. You can read more about the TypeX specifications here. Also, an individual on shooting girls has posted information on the actual test location for Gigawing Generations. The game is on test at TAITO INN and GAME WORLD in Shinjuku.

link

GWG04.png

img20040725075402.jpg

OT, but whatever happen to nintendo, Capcom, and Namco pledge to support a GC based arcade hardware? It seems system 246 (PS2-based) is the frontrunner when it comes to software support. Anyways, I can't wait for Gundam: Aeug vs Titans DX since Federation vs Zeon DX was an absolute blast to play....:)

jarrod

Banned
Whoah, didn't see that one coming (Type X hardware). Was it ever confirmed which arcade hardware Capcom Fighting Jam and Vampire Chronicle would be running on?

jarrod said:
Whoah, didn't see that one coming (Type X hardware). Was it ever confirmed which arcade hardware Capcom Fighting Jam and Vampire Chronicle would be running on?

CFJ is based on system 246, not sure about VC though

jarrod

Banned
Riskbreaker said:
OT, but whatever happen to nintendo, Capcom, and Namco pledge to support a GC based arcade hardware? It seems system 246 (PS2-based) is the frontrunner when it comes to software support. Anyways, I can't wait for Gundam: Aeug vs Titans DX since Federation vs Zeon DX was an absolute blast to play....:)
Basically, both Capcom & Namco got cold feet, leaving Sega to support TriForce alone. So far the game list is...

-F-Zero AX (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-F-Zero AX: Monster Ride (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-Getikou Pro Yakyuu (Sega/Wow Entertainment)
-Key of Avalon, The: The Wizard Master (Sega/Hitmaker)
-Key of Avalon, The: Summon the New Monsters (Sega/Hitmaker)
-Virtua Striker 2002 (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-Virtua Striker 4 (Sega/Smilebit)

...Namco was rumored to be making a Smash Bros styled mascot fighter (what I wouldn't give to see Klonoa Vs Mr Driller) and possibly testing Soul Calibur 2 on the hardware. Capcom was rumored to be making Zeta Gundam on Triforce initially though that obviously switched over to System 246.

jarrod said:
Basically, both Capcom & Namco got cold feet, leaving Sega to support TriForce alone. So far the game list is...

-F-Zero AX (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-F-Zero AX: Monster Ride (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-Getikou Pro Yakyuu (Sega/Wow Entertainment)
-Key of Avalon, The: The Wizard Master (Sega/Hitmaker)
-Key of Avalon, The: Summon the New Monsters (Sega/Hitmaker)
-Virtua Striker 2002 (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-Virtua Striker 4 (Sega/Smilebit)

...Namco was rumored to be making a Smash Bros styled mascot fighter (what I wouldn't give to see Klonoa Vs Mr Driller) and possibly testing Soul Calibur 2 on the hardware. Capcom was rumored to be making Zeta Gundam on Triforce initially though that obviously switched over to System 246.

Ah....Thanxs

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Capcom would be smart to develop this on all three platforms.
Sadly I think it'll be PS2 only, if that. XBox has a slight chance too.

After CVS2EO it seems like Capcom abandoned GC for arcade ports. I've no idea why though, as CVS2 performed decently on the platform (it's outsold every 2D XBox fighter iirc). You'd think stuff like MVC2 or SFAC on GameCube would've been easy money for them...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
nice. i've actually really started to like the first two gigawing games, and it's good to see that takumi's still up and running. and i like that they've gone with a true vertical format this tome. although given the hardware it runs on, a console port seems unlikely...maybe xbox?

Shouta

Now I wish we could get a new game in the Raiden Fighters series or something with none of the new shooter frills.

jarrod

Banned
FortNinety said:
What exactly is F-Zero: Monster Ride? BTW, what exactly were the differences between AX and GX? Are they minor or major?
It's the deluxe "moving cab" version of the game. I think game content is the same as regular AX though besides the title screen.

Shouta

RF doesn`t have those! Evil old man!

Anyway, I`d like to see a top-down shooter with some sort of weapon customization or something. Like have a specific amount of room for power-ups and depending on which power-ups you get and in which order, you get different weapons. It`d be nice than the standard 2-3 weapon-choices. =D

XS+

Banned
FortNinety said:
What exactly is F-Zero: Monster Ride?
AX with first-person view only and full suspension (cabinet moves up and down as well as side-to-side). Dizzying to say the least.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Bah, screw Taito's board! :p

Make Gigawing Generations on NAOMI, port it to Dreamcast, then call it a day. ^_^

And where's my freakin' home port of Eighting/Raizing's Dimahoo, Capcom!????????

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Sadly I think it'll be PS2 only, if that. XBox has a slight chance too.

After CVS2EO it seems like Capcom abandoned GC for arcade ports. I've no idea why though, as CVS2 performed decently on the platform (it's outsold every 2D XBox fighter iirc). You'd think stuff like MVC2 or SFAC on GameCube would've been easy money for them...

Easy money, but potentially bad rep since the controls are questionable. If I were Capcom, I'd collaborate with Sega and Nintendo to release arcade fighting ports on the GameCube bundled with a Saturn-design controller. I think that would be good business.

aku:jiki

Where is everybody getting Capcom from? I think MagicBox is just making a stupid assumption based on very old stuff (like how Gigawing and Mars Matrix were CPS2, hence the cooperation). Night Raid (Takumi's last shooter that no one cares about) was not published by Capcom, and I see no Capcom logos anywhere here...

This is nice news, though. I like how it goes back to GigaWing 1's more toned-down visual style. In fact, it looks almost exactly like it, but now with polygons (?).

If it's a windows platform, I think an Xbox port is definitely coming. The Xbox might be a failure over there, but they're still porting stuff like Shikigami 2 and Psyvariar 2, for some reason. And if Taito were to help, I'm sure it'd be for PS2 as well.

Shouta said:
Now I wish we could get a new game in the Raiden Fighters series or something with none of the new shooter frills.
What's wrong with the frills? You don't have to use them (most of the time) just because they're there.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I hope they release the trilogy for the home systems.

I actually think the chances of seeing this on both the PS2 and GC are pretty good. Ikaruga did manage to outsell Gradius 3/4 and Silpheed: TLP for PS2 in the US. And I don't think that RType Final has even caught up to it yet but I could be wrong. Anyone have LTD sales of RType Final and Ikaruga handy?

JC10001 said:
I hope they release the trilogy for the home systems.

I actually think the chances of seeing this on both the PS2 and GC are pretty good. Ikaruga did manage to outsell Gradius 3/4 and Silpheed: TLP for PS2 in the US. And I don't think that RType Final has even caught up to it yet but I could be wrong. Anyone have LTD sales of RType Final and Ikaruga handy?
This is not Ikaruga.

That's like comparing Metal Gear Solid and, like, Rogue Ops.

XS+

Banned
What are you getting at with that remark? Ikaruga was a very low-profile project (very small dev team, very small file size, small arcade distribution iirc, small console sales). Only thing big about Ikaruga was the buzz about it being the sequel to RS.

XS+ said:
Only thing big about Ikaruga was the buzz about it being the sequel to RS.
Exactly. And it was an enormous buzz -- for the genre, anyway. Strong enough for Atari to pick it up and release it in the west, even. I doubt that would've ever happened without it. GigaWing -- while probably better than memory exercise Ikaruga -- will not generate anywhere near that much hype.

COCKLES

being watched
Kumiko Nikaido said:
Bah, screw Taito's board! :p

Make Gigawing Generations on NAOMI, port it to Dreamcast, then call it a day. ^_^

And where's my freakin' home port of Eighting/Raizing's Dimahoo, Capcom!????????

On my chipped Xbox. :D

jarrod

Banned
So.. does anyone foresee some big piracy problems for the Type X hardware? Then again, with DC emulation coming along so quick, Atomiswave might be in the same boat...

Neo_ZX

I just discovered 4-player Gigawing 2 last Friday. Is it possible to lose with 4 planes blasting everything???

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BOOOMMMMMBAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

WarPig

I like those cabinets, never seen any of those. Is it a new Taito cab? Looks like a Blast City with much cleaner lines, nice piece of work.

DFS.

Top Bottom