• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giraffes enter the red list of endangered species, risk extinction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahadan

The giraffe population apparently has shrunk nearly 40 percent in 30 years

That’s two steps up the danger ladder from its previous designation of being a species of least concern. In 1985, there were between 151,000 and 163,000 giraffes but in 2015 the number was down to 97,562, according to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN).

At a biodiversity meeting Wednesday in Mexico, the IUCN increased the threat level for 35 species and lowered the threat level for seven species on its “Red List” of threatened species, considered by scientists the official list of what animals and plants are in danger of disappearing.

The giraffe is the only mammal whose status changed on the list this year. Scientists blame habitat loss.

While everyone worries about elephants, Earth has four times as many pachyderms as giraffes, said Julian Fennessy and Noelle Kumpel, co-chairs of the specialty group of biologists that put the giraffe on the IUCN Red List. They both called what’s happening to giraffes a “silent extinction.”

Would somebody think of the giraffes

"Silent extinction" is a pretty scary phrase
and also a cool name for something. Pretty sure it's a movie
, but it's accurate. I would've never thought that the giraffes would've had much to worry about. It's not like they'd be hunted for anything to particularly unique (like ivory), and I guess I never figured their particular habitat would be in danger. I feel kind of dumb now that I realize grasslands/savannah = real estate, so obviously it'd be grabbed up fast.

woopWOOP

Weren't there like 4 sub-species of Giraffes too?
Which will be the first to go, place your bets now

Dont worry, nature will find a way:

3126110-ps4_meeting_horizon_zero_dawn_new_gameplay_gs.jpg

Damn Humans.

My grand grand grandchild might not see a Giraffe or Rhino in the future.

To be fair I'm sure there will be plenty in zoos and artificial habitats, which is also how the vast majority of people alive today have seen them too.

Damn Humans.

My grand grand grandchild might not see a Giraffe or Rhino in the future.
That's really bad. :(
But at least we can save some of them in zoos and other places, and we have thousands of videos from them. But animals like Elephant Birds were alive 300,400 years ago and we can only see their skeletons. :(

p62sB2.jpg

CloudWolf

This sounds so weird to me, because when I was in South Africa a year ago there were giraffes everywhere. Sad times.

Ninja Dom

But at least we can save some of them in zoos and other places, and we have thousands of videos from them. But animals like Elephant Birds were alive 300,400 years ago and we can only see their skeletons. :(

p62sB2.jpg

I've never heard of an Elephant Bird before. When did the Dodo die out?

Hasn't saved the rhino. Holding the last of these animals in zoos just prolongs the inevitable once it reaches unsubstainable levels.

I know. I was just responding to a guy who was worried his grand kids won't get to see a giraffe. My point was that most people don't get to see giraffes, other than in zoos.

Wow that's crazy to hear.

Have about 8 giraffe's on our family ranch but the few baby's they've had recently unfortunately died from illness.
They really are magnificent animals, sad to know their population is dwindling so fast.

pswii60

Yeah, the dodo always get referenced when talking about extinction in modern history, but the elephant bird seems far more interesting and potentially more recent too.

Middle of 17th century I think.
Bringing back dinosaurs to life is impossible and it's really difficult for animals like mammoths, but I don't know why scientist can't make new dodos or elephant birds. They were so close to us.
Just look at elephant bird's egg! (in the hand of Sir Attenborough and Vs ostrich's egg)

Ps2EuD.jpg

gjvzkH.jpg

Sorry for off topic.

This is so depressing. :(

Just thinking about the animal species I'm most likely gonna see go extinct during my lifetime:
Elephants, tigers, rhinos, pandas, maybe lions. Any more likely candidates?

Wilsongt

*ffxiv* Nooo! My people! D:

Serious: fuck the people on this planet... Giraffes are amazing...

Before long the only thing that's going to remain are cats, dogs, mice, birds, and roaches.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure

p62sB2.jpg

We could of have had chocobos. :(

Violet_0

Banned
there are still about 100,000 giraffes left, so don't count on them going extinct just yet. There used to be only 1000 bisons and the population has risen to 500,000 again. And giraffes are the kind of animal species that we wouldn't allow to die out

Dreez

Apparently while elephants are hunted for their ivory, giraffes are hunted for their tails which are used for whips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom