• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater Burst |OT| Nomura and Rathian had a baby

BadWolf

Done with the story missions, time on the clock is 24hrs and 2 min. I did maybe two or three non-story missions during this time and had to retry a mission once (brought the wrong weapon).

Final impressions:
- Loved it throughout, at no point did I feel like I had enough or it was getting frustating and considered stopping. Enjoyed every minute of it and left me wanting more.

- The repetitive complaint flew right by me. Imo if you don't find MH repetitive then you shouldn't find this to be either.

- The backgrounds, design-wise, are nothing to write home about but felt like they played a bigger role in the actual gameplay then the ones in MH. You have tight alleys and corners which you really want to avoid fighting in (or maybe not if you know what you're doing). Then you have lots of stuff you can hide behind and enter and jump on top of for a brief advantage (they made sure to give bosses ways to smack you if you are trying to spam stuff from higher ground, for example).

- Mission lenght is perfect.

- Bullet creation is cool but wasn't important for me to go through story mode, didn't really get it anyway. Seems very deep/cool though from the combinations I've seen ppl mention, like you can have multiple bullets firing at the time but with different intervals and trajectories and you can have the bullets spin and bend etc. lots of stuff you can do.

- Difficulty is normal to easy I think.

- Story won't win any awards but I would call it at the level of your average anime so its servicable, way better than nothing (for me anyway).

- Excellent soundtrack and visual design. The overall aesthetic kept giving me a RahXephon vibe.

Overall I'll give it a solid A, very impressed and was completely hooked for those 24hrs. If you like MH then give it a shot. If you don't like MH then still give it a shot because it doesn't have a lot of what can make MH frustrating/tedious.

Ridley327 said:
Hot tip!

Your potential teammates actually have special abilities associated with them. Kanon, for example, increases the odds of finding rare items in the gather spots, while Karel improves the odds of getting a vendor item as a reward at the end. Experiment to see what benefits you can gain.

Kanon and Sakuya (I think) also have a discount ability so make sure to select a mission with either on your team before you go purchasing stuff from the merchant. Stuff becomes quite a bit cheaper (Recovery Pills cost only 10c and Recovery Pills II cost only 30c etc).

One thing to note though is that it appears that the developers, in order to balance these abilites that they gave her, gave Kanon a very trigger happy finger. She will shoot the daylights out of you so prepare to hear "can't you stay out of my line of fire?!" quite a bit. Its not a big deal though since you won't really take damage but you may learn to not like her very much for this. She is the only one that practices this love for putting holes in you though, the others don't do this.

Ridley327

I think every character you choose has a bit of an AI quirk, which is a surprisingly nice touch for a subgenre not exactly known for that kind of detail.

Kota, for example, can't help but get KO'd whenever he has the chance. :D

BadWolf

Ridley327 said:
I think every character you choose has a bit of an AI quirk, which is a surprisingly nice touch for a subgenre not exactly known for that kind of detail.

Kota, for example, can't help but get KO'd whenever he has the chance. :D

That's true, could be just me but I found Soma to be reviving ppl the most, which makes sense because he hates ppl dying on him story-wise.

Lesiroth

Ridley327 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhnDcTj9RLo

It's really what Lord of Arcana should have been in the first place; a very flashy yet incredibly good riff on Monster Hunter.

Yep. Unbelievable how bad LoA turned out to be.
Here's hoping Namco Bandai makes a decent sequel for this on the NGP/3DS. I've really enjoyed this so far, unfortunately I'm getting fatigue from the muddy PSP graphics, otherwise I would've finished this a bit ago.

Almyn

I'm interested in this. How is it is a single player game? I loved monster hunter, But it wasn't always a lot of fun single player.

BadWolf

Almyn said:
I'm interested in this. How is it is a single player game? I loved monster hunter, But it wasn't always a lot of fun single player.

You have three very reliable AI partners accompany you on missions so it isn't exactly single player like monster hunter. You will feel like you are part of a good team.

Of course you can play solo but the single player team play is one of the major reasons I enjoyed the game so much.

Ridley327

oracrest said:
Looks pretty cool, I will probably pick it up, PSP is still my most used system this generation, so I generally snag all the fun looking ones.

Ridley, remember our epic Agnaktor fight?
How could I forget? Skin of our damn teeth!

I'm five hours in and it's my favorite game this year (so far). Some random comments:

The combat can get really intense but I'm not feeling overwhelmed. The team IA is pretty good which helps keep the battles manageable and they stick to their roles so you always know what someone is doing.

They really nailed the type of story, characters and atmosphere they were going for. They are dripping out the story at a good pace and no cutscenes have been longer then about a minute. I'm interested to see where it all goes. It feels like they are taking all the right cues from the type of anime/story they are ripping off

The bestiary is shit. I wish it did a better job of letting you learn all the weakness and such. Given that there are about 4 elements and 7 stats and different body parts are weak to different things...

Sound could be better. The music is way too loud during dialog/story and monster's steps always seem to be the same volume no matter how close you are.

The environments are very repetitive. I thought it might be "cut and paste" where they look the same but the layout is different but no not only are the layouts the same but items appear in the same spots.

koma

I'm at 20 hours, as an old PSO / Monster Hunter player i'm really loving this. Combat is fun, the bullet system is really interesting and there's a lot to learn and master before being able to own an Aragami. Rare loot is addicting as always. I also like the environments / arenas, they remind me of Phantom Dust.

Where are all the PSO / Monster Hunter players? They should at least try this. I hope that Gods Eater could sell enough in America / Europe too, i'm scared that it could bomb and we'll never see the sequels translated :\

D3 was giving away free DLC codes on their Facebook, did anyone get lucking enough to grab one? I'm hoping they release the content on the PSN Store eventually. =/

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Square Triangle said:
It's seriously great. I love the customizing of the weapons. And if you enjoy Monster Hunter, you need this.
I am a serious Monster Hunter fan. It's probably my most favourite game series ever, and when I play it with Hunter buddies, it's like nothing else. It has a certain charm that no game has ever come close to.

Are you honestly telling me I need this? I've always avoided it just in principle.

I'm actually a little scared I'll like it...

BadWolf

Turns out that when I last posted that I finished story mode it was just the God Eater content, the new Burst story content was next. Just finished it after an additional 20 hours of play (this time I did weapon hunting and a lil grinding for fun, didn't just do the story missions).

I put together a few kickass bullets using formulas from the gamefaqs forums. So many awesome bullets you can come up with, this is an awesome addition to the game.

My fave bullet is the Sword Breaker, it fires in multiple directions, looks very pretty and does great elemental damage buts main strength is its high crush damage (which makes it excellent for unbinding body parts). Great for players who prefer melee combat.

So yeah, this is easily my GOTY so far and I enjoyed it more than MH Porable 3rd (which is my fave MH).

Can't praise the soundtrack for this game enough.

I really wish I'd seen this on Amazon when it was $20. Reviews were pretty "meh" but then again most Monster Hunter reviews were the same way, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at all.

Lain

Got my copy today, after some problems. Haven't really played it yet, just watched the intro and I'm on the way to the medical visit, so it's at the very start, but I wanted to say the the intro is pretty stylish, and I like that.

Alrus

So the game was pretty cheap and I was craving for a MH like experience since capcom isn't willing to release portable 3rd in the west, so I picked up a few days ago. A pretty remarkable thing is that the european version is english only, it's been a long time since I had seen that.

It's decent but I think I like the MH games a lot more (my main experience with MH is Tri, so most of the comparisons are with that game) :

-The Monsters are mostly grotesque and uncharismatic (except Vajra, he's awesome)... I really don't like most of them, the tank-monster being the worst. This is my main issue with the game, most of the monsters I have no fun fighting because I think they look stupid and/or awful :(

-The weapon system is interesting but it makes all your weapons look like ass because they're a mix of different monsters, also lack of monster armor beside the shield is disappointing.

-Missions are wierdly paced, sometime you get to fight a few new monsters in a row, then the story missions makes you kill old and easy monsters for no apparent reason. It gets a bit boring fighting yet another Kudou or some shitty Ogretails/Zygotes.

-The bullet system, while really interesting, is way to complex to grasp without reading stuff on the internet, the tutorials and database on them completely suck and I completely ignored them for half the game because I didn't get why the combinations I made didn't work properly :/

-The database is reaaaally poorly made, you can't sort anything by alphabetical order, so when you're looking for the effect of a certain skill, you have to blindly browse the entire list before you find it, it's nothing major but it's still annoying.

-The game never really get challenging for me, I died a few times but it never felt like it meant anything because there's barely any penalty.

Also the story sucks but I wasn't expecting anything great for there.

Free DLC out today

Gods Eater Burst: DLC (free)

Battle against two new Aragami, the dreaded Caligula and the beautiful but deadly. Craft exclusive Caligula and Venus equipment. Exclusive challenge missions that unlock material for new color varients of uniforms and outfits.

ESRB Rated: T
File size: 34 MB

Reminds me I need to pick this back up

So is this any better than monster hunter?
Tried monster hunter freedom unite a few weeks back and it's probably the most akwardly controlled (especially the camera, but the movement too) , tedious and repetitive game I ever played on my psp.

Is the collectathon and completionist carrot really making people go bananas over that turd?<,<

Ratrat

SneakyStephan said:
So is this any better than monster hunter?
Tried monster hunter freedom unite a few weeks back and it's probably the most akwardly controlled (especially the camera, but the movement too) , tedious and repetitive game I ever played on my psp.

Is the collectathon and completionist carrot really making people go bananas over that turd?<,<
No, its the kickass multiplayer duh!

And the controls are precise and responsive once you bother to learn them.

edit: The God Eater demo did not impress me at all. A very weak MH clone it was.

Lain

Nekobo said:
The game is $20 at Best Buy. Is it worth it?
I bought it full price, haven't finished playing it yet, but I think it was worth it. So at 20 is an even better deal.

Zafir

I'd say it's worth it. Funnily enough I enjoyed it more than the game it was based off(Monster Hunter).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is the single player any good? I don't care about multiplayer.

The fact that Go Shiina composed the music for this game spark a very great interest for this game for me... I absolutely adore his work for Tales of Legendia.

Nekobo

Laughing Banana said:
Is the single player any good? I don't care about multiplayer.

I'd like to know as well. I doubt I'll be play it via ad hoc party much unless you guys can direct me to an active GE multiplayer community.

okay small bump. i want to get this game because they announced GE2. psn version is $40. which is a bit high. i assume i should wait maybe they'll do a price reduction in the coming months? don't want UMD. want it digital for vita later.

I've also been looking at this but for PSN since I'm now rocking a PSP Go.

So does this have online multi-player or do you need that PS3 tool? I'd consider taking the extra $20 hit now if somebody wanted to go online.

Ridley327

PixyJunket said:

So does this have online multi-player or do you need that PS3 tool? I'd consider taking the extra $20 hit now if somebody wanted to go online.
It's local-only I'm afraid, so a PS3 would be required for online play.

Ridley327 said:
It's local-only I'm afraid, so a PS3 would be required for online play.
That sucks. Wikipedia just said "online multi-player."

Oh well, I guess I'll wait for a PSN price drop then. Thanks for the info.

PixyJunket said:

i'm going to buy the game now too. unsure when i'll have time to play

In other news you can't log into Media Go since website doesn't work (you have to agree to new TOS) so you better have ps3 or psp to log in first.

Bump. Anybody playing this still? Just bought it recently and been playing on Vita so im looking for people to play with over Ad Hoc party. Nobody? No recent Vita jump ins such as myself? TELL ME IM NOT ALONEEEE

So at diificult 6 i just finished the mission with Nova.

Was it the last one from story mode ? Or does Burst add some more to story ?

35 hours total :)

Ok so i'm now at difficulty 8.

Dr. Sakaki gave me the quest to find 3 Raven Feathers for him - i found the mission where feather was one of prizes - i finished it 4 times and got 3 feathers as prize - but i don't have them anywhere in inventory or deposit and can't give them to Sakaki.

Is this some kind of bug ?

Top Bottom