• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire - March 15, 2024

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Yes exactly. Godzilla has reached its final form. A feminist.

godzilla-kong.jpg

woman-with-pink-hair-yelling-into-microphone_893012-68258.jpg

I just think it looks fucking stupid and his iconic blue glow was awesome.

I want to see why he turns pink. Let us deliberate, then!

I’ve seen Godzilla before with the following colors of glow:

Red
Blue
Cyan
Purple
White
Green
Yellow
Orange

He’s had more different colors than the power rangers. Someone even put them together in a video:

It feels kind of pointless that pink is the color where people go ‘now this is too far!’ …too far from what lol.

Pejo

I want to see why he turns pink. Let us deliberate, then!
Fascinating... You actually believe that 2023 Hollywood could come up with an interesting and viable in-lore reason for it. If we're placing bets, I'm gonna say it's a decision a suit made saying something like:
"Barbie was so hot this year, what if we made Godzilla pink?"
"But ma'am, why would we make him pink?"
"I don't fucking know, maybe slept next to some pink hollow earth energy for a few months, just do it"

I mean I'm still gonna go watch it, it's not like we're drowning in giant monster movies that I can afford to be picky, but I have long stopped giving Hollywood the benefit of the doubt on literally anything. Now it's "prove to me that this isn't gonna be stupid".
It feels kind of pointless that pink is the color where people go ‘now this is too far!’ …too far from what lol.
K, we'll see. I won't shitpost about it any more for now, until after I've seen the movie. If it's fucking stupid, you owe me a beer. I accept venmo.

Last edited:
Pejo Pejo oh it’s going to be absolutely stupid and that’s the point. Like others have said earlier, if you want the more serious stuff go see Minus One. This movie is for the people who want to see giant toy team up with other giant toy to fight an even larger toy.

Kids will know that they have the newer Godzilla toy model thanks to the pink glow. Also, that’s double sales since girls will naturally like the pink.

From saying all of this, do I think a giant dangerous creature with a pink glow is going to suddenly look at the screen and say “don’t worry, I’m not alone” while a bunch of female marvel heroes stand next to it? Lol no. It’s Godzilla.

I guess this will be a beer pre-order on me.

xrnzaaas

First Godzilla and Kong movies from this monsterverse were very good, but the quality dropped after that. I'll watch it eventually, but I'm in no rush to run to the cinema.

VulcanRaven

Looks good but I'm not as hyped as with the previous movie. I'm glad Kong has a big role but he doesn't really feel like Kong in these movies. I'm a big fan of the original King Kong and the two remakes.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So if I am understanding the trailer right, this is a new Godzilla right? They're giving it another color so we can tell it apart when the original shows up right?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Fascinating... You actually believe that 2023 Hollywood could come up with an interesting and viable in-lore reason for it. If we're placing bets, I'm gonna say it's a decision a suit made saying something like:
"Barbie was so hot this year, what if we made Godzilla pink?"
"But ma'am, why would we make him pink?"
"I don't fucking know, maybe slept next to some pink hollow earth energy for a few months, just do it"

I mean I'm still gonna go watch it, it's not like we're drowning in giant monster movies that I can afford to be picky, but I have long stopped giving Hollywood the benefit of the doubt on literally anything. Now it's "prove to me that this isn't gonna be stupid".

K, we'll see. I won't shitpost about it any more for now, until after I've seen the movie. If it's fucking stupid, you owe me a beer. I accept venmo.
I'm more just wait and see. I really want to rip into the pink color, too. But, I'll save my best for when the movie comes and goes and we can go Full English on the spoilers.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
This comes off like the mountain dew chugging ADHD cousin of Godzilla Minus One. Just over the top and putting its focus in all the wrong areas, just like the others. Also, stop trying to make Kong a thing.

I'll be happy if I am wrong.

Last edited:

pel1300

I'm getting deja vu from when the Fast and Furious franchise starting going downhill....

It peaked with Fast Five, but each movie after that got more and more ridiculous.

Some fans were calling it out as early as Fast and Furious 7, saying it was getting to be too much, but others were like "No, the more over the top the better! This looks so ridiculous and stupid and I LOVE IT! My body is ready!!!!!!!!"

I wonder if it's the same exact fans who are loving this shitty trailer.

Last edited:

Shouta

I am so ready for this film. The vast majority of Godzilla films are campy schlock with monsters slamming into each other. There's various degrees of seriousness and schlock in them it's all cut from the same cloth.

I do have a feeling this will be more of a Kong-centered film with Godzilla playing the big bruiser roll that shows up sometimes. I am totally cool with that though after 2014, KOTM, and Minus One.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Im probably gonna see it, but I feel like the special effects have been deteriorating in each of these films.

Labolas

Yes exactly. Godzilla has reached its final form. A feminist.

godzilla-kong.jpg

woman-with-pink-hair-yelling-into-microphone_893012-68258.jpg

I think it's because they saw Shin Godzilla and were influenced by that. Similarly Burning Godzilla vs. Destroyah and Godzilla KOTM.
af6547205ae2a657e64ca9c73a2c121b61c917f8.gifv

Last edited:

Pejo

Speaking to Total Film in our new issue, which features Godzilla x Kong on the cover and is out this Thursday, director Adam Wingard teased what we can expect from the two creatures in the new movie.

"Very specifically in the last film, I wanted Godzilla to have a continuity, to look the way that he had in King of the Monsters and the 2014 Godzilla," he explains. "But then I didn’t get a chance at doing my version of Godzilla. So now I wanted to do different things with the spines, and try different colours. I didn't want it to just be random; it's part of the story."

Godzilla isn't the only one getting a revamp, either, with Wingard adding: "And similarly with Kong, I wanted to give him some sort of new look as well. We grew his beard out, and gave him a little bit more grey hair and stuff."

So it's not random, it's part of the story. Guess I better prepare a plate of crow if Pink Godzilla ends up being amazing.

Then again his very next line regarding Kong was "We grew his beard out, and gave him a little bit more grey hair and stuff." So maybe it's not gonna be a very good reason at all.

Full article:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So it's not random, it's part of the story. Guess I better prepare a plate of crow if Pink Godzilla ends up being amazing.

Then again his very next line regarding Kong was "We grew his beard out, and gave him a little bit more grey hair and stuff." So maybe it's not gonna be a very good reason at all.

Full article:

Types of gorillas have beards. Believe it or not. So then talking about Kong having one is actually keeping in with real gorillas... Especially as they age older. Remember, Kong Skull Island, Kong was still basically a teenager. Not even close to full size!

Full article:
Can't wait for when Kong is old and sitting in his rocking chair waving his cane and giving advice to his son on how to perform a German Suplex on Godzilla!

Pejo

Types of gorillas have beards. Believe it or not. So then talking about Kong having one is actually keeping in with real gorillas... Especially as they age older. Remember, Kong Skull Island, Kong was still basically a teenager. Not even close to full size!
Thanks for the science lesson I guess, but I was just talking about the director not having any deep meaning for the changes to the monsters.
Can't wait for when Kong is old and sitting in his rocking chair waving his cane and giving advice to his son on how to perform a German Suplex on Godzilla!
kranky-kong.gif

He got a powerup at some point and is gonna start using the spiral heat ray instead of the regular atomic breath.

I mean, anyone who's seen the Heisei era films, that should have been your first thought to explain the color change lol. Though a 2000 reference or a reference to Shin lighting up is possible as well.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Went on a Godzilla and Kong movie spree (the newer ones) with the kids past few weeks, and now they're excited to see this movie. The 2014 Godzilla movie remains my personal favourite. Not a fan of Godzilla vs Kong, and now this. Godzilla doesn't feel intimidating anymore.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Went on a Godzilla and Kong movie spree (the newer ones) with the kids past few weeks, and now they're excited to see this movie. The 2014 Godzilla movie remains my personal favourite. Not a fan of Godzilla vs Kong, and now this. Godzilla doesn't feel intimidating anymore.
There can be only -1!!! :p

lTSBiRt.jpg

Neolombax

There can be only -1!!! :p

lTSBiRt.jpg
Missed this movie when it was airing here. Waiting for it to release on streaming devices hopefully or bluray or smthg. This got rave reviews, so this one got me very excited. Would probably watch this alone or with the wife. The kids have this mentality where Godzilla = hero, they'd probably cry seeing Godzilla levelling cities.

Top Bottom