• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going on a Cruise next year... need some reccomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

methodman

Banned
We are going on a family cruise next year from around june - august (probably just a 7-nighter), I was just wondering if any of you guys have been on a cruise and which cruise line it was.

I just need websites, thanks a lot.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I am also going on a cruise next year, but on Royal to Florida Keys and Mexico or some such thing. Any feedback and suggestions would be awesome.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Been on carnival cruise line. Have nothing to compare it to, but in any case I couldnt ask for much more. Amazing boat, 24/7 food, etc etc.

Caddle

My family and I go on a cruise every other year. If they is one piece of advice I have to give it's this, always go Carnival Cruise Lines. Trust me one year we decided to go Royal Caribbean, it was the worse ever, not only was the staff rude, but the food was under cooked and the silverware was dirty. Next up was Golden Pricess, and to make a long story short never ever trusted another cruise line except Carnival again.

aparisi2274

methodman said:
We are going on a family cruise next year from around june - august (probably just a 7-nighter), I was just wondering if any of you guys have been on a cruise and which cruise line it was.

I just need websites, thanks a lot.

I went on a Celebrity cruise 2 years ago, and it was awesome. It left from NYC, went to Bermuda, and then came back. It was a 7 day cruise, and I had a blast. Ate like a pig (at dinner time, we would look at the menu and just tell the waiter that is fine, and they would have to bring everything out. One night it was Surf and Turf, my friend had 9 lobster tails. It was awesome), drank like a fish, took the sun. played craps. Its a blast. When I got to bermuda we rented mo-peds and drove all around the island. Those were fun as hell. We went off roading with them, jumped curbs, ect.

Also, what I suggest is to check out the cruise websites. There was a really good one called www.icruise.com, and u can get ideas on what to do. I can tell you tip that you should really pay attention to. The minute you get on the boat, and u get settled and u are allowed to walk the ship head over to the deck that has all the off ship activities (ie snorkling, scuba diving, ect...) because they fill up real quick, and we made the mistake of waiting, and when we went to book a good excursion, they were all gone, so we got stuck with snorkling in a area where there were hardly any fish. Also, check out www.cruise-chat.com, that is a good site to get reviews on certain cruises and if they are worth taking or not.

Good luck.

Smidget

My family was a big big cruise fan before my dad lost his job but gosh there's just no other vacation like it.

Been on 3 Royal Caribbean (one was on the VERY large boat with the ice rink and the 24/7 Johnny Rockets (mmmm apple pie ala mode at 1 am) and one was a senior graduation trip so that extra rocked)

2x on Disney (no gambling :( but different restaurants to go to and very nice boat)

2x on Norweigan (i like the casual dining a lot, the boats were older but still very fun)

and 2x on different cheaper littler boats which were both fun in their own respects, but my parents work their hardest to make it fun.

We've been to the Bahamas multiple times (Nassau), Western Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean, Cozumel, and Jamaica, and my favorite place out of all of them was Eastern Caribbean on St. Thomas in Meagan's Bay. It's touted as one of the most beautiful beaches and it reminds me of The Beach's beach, just without the sharks. Also in Jamaica doing the Dunns River Falls is soooooo fun even though when you get to the top you look down and go "how/why the hell did I just climb that?!"

Been on various cruiselines (more on this later) to Alaska and the Mediterranean.

Princess Cruises - swank. definitely for the older crowd.
Holland America - also swank. see above.
Carnival - never been on, but have heard horror stories. definitely not as well-organized as the above suggestions, but then again, carnival is significantly cheaper.

my parents are big fans of cruises; i'm not. i guess it also depends who you go with, like any vacation. you sit on a boat and eat excellent food, which is a plus, but the other half of the time you either walk around the boat and waste money (gamble, drink, shop, etc.) or workout. the island or "city" stops are always fun though. but i'd rather just visit those places the old-fashioned way, not by boat.

yoshifumi

Banned
on a scale of 1-10, how good was the food on the cruises you guys have been on?

because i figure if they're going to have food 24/7 it can't be that great, but you never know.

Caddle said:
My family and I go on a cruise every other year. If they is one piece of advice I have to give it's this, always go Carnival Cruise Lines. Trust me one year we decided to go Royal Caribbean, it was the worse ever, not only was the staff rude, but the food was under cooked and the silverware was dirty. Next up was Golden Pricess, and to make a long story short never ever trusted another cruise line except Carnival again.

Um, reverse that. NEVER go Carnival, they are crappy. I've been on both cruise lines (Royal Caribbean twice) and RC by far is the best cruise line. Their newest class of ships, the Voyager class is absolutely amazing--ice rink, theatres, rock climbing wall, in-line skating track, mini golf course, basketball court, volleyball court. Plus the excursions RC makes available are top-notch.

My ex-gf's parents are HUGE cruisers, they've been on over 100 cruises on nearly every cruise line, and they say RC is the best. My ex-gf herself has been on at least a dozen cruises and RC is her favorite (although she says Princess is great as well).

My advice: Take the Western Caribbean Cruise of the Navigator of the Seas on Royal Caribbean, do some powerboating and skidooing excursions; you'll have the time of your life, I guarantee it.

Been on 3 Royal Caribbean (one was on the VERY large boat with the ice rink and the 24/7 Johnny Rockets (mmmm apple pie ala mode at 1 am) and one was a senior graduation trip so that extra rocked)

That's the one i went on. I was on explorer... the two lines were explorer and voyager for that class of ship i think. The food was really good, so im not sure where that other guy is coming from. All of the staff was friendly too... they would usally do more than what their job requires. Way too much for a student to afford though... mooching off the family works though.

Royal Carib, and Norweigan Cruise Lines I have been on, and had a blast each time.

Went on another cruise also, but I forget the line and it was so godawful anyways.

Vark

Carnival f'ing blows. Celebrity is where its at.

Celebrity caters to the 'non family' crowd in that they discourage really young kids, which means you can enjoy your freaking vacation in peace. The service rocks, the food is excellent and I haven't been on a ship of theirs that I didn't like.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I've only been on one and it was Royal Carribean, it was also fan-fucking-tastic. I remember pointing and laughing at the Carnival boat next to us because it looked so shitty compared to ours, hehe.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Slurpy said:
Been on carnival cruise line. Have nothing to compare it to, but in any case I couldnt ask for much more. Amazing boat, 24/7 food, etc etc.

Yeah i went on one this year and it was top notch. The best part to me was that I didn't want to leave until the last day, which is a perfect scenario.

EDIT: I was on its top rated ship though, so that might have been why.

Vark

The difference between Carnival and Royal or Celebrity is like Holiday Inn versus a 5 star Marriott.

They both have the same sorts of amineties but the staff / service is of a definitely higher calibur the further upscale you get.

For instance on Celebrity once you're on a certain floor (ie not sleeping on the bottom of the ship) instead of just having the usual room service staff, you have one particular guy that takes care of your room (he does several rooms, but not the whole floor). So instance of calling 'room service' you're calling 'Alfred' or whatever his name happens to be.

It seems pretentous to a point but eventually they'll learn your habits and do things the way you want them done.

DJ Demon J said:
Probably Carnival.

No....it was COMMODORE! That's it! Oh god, was it awful.

Anyways, I'd second Royal. Would really like to try Celebrity too.

Or a Disney cruise. I'm a sucker for that mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom