• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to Rome Pisa and Cannes in October any tips/food local advice?

Hey gang going to a once in a lifetime trip across Europe and even though I'm a bit apprehensive with all the attacks going on nothing is going to stop me from visiting these beautiful cities with these beautiful people and culture!

For any gaffers in the know, any advice for me traveling to these places of MUST eat things to see or do? Thanks guys!

Mobius 1

Had the best meatball spaghetti of my life in a hole in the wall restaurant by Porta Maggiore, sitting on a tiny table by the sidewalk. I don't think the place even had a name.

Cannes is not great for restaurants or... Anything, honestly. I know, I live there :)
Nice in the old city is where you want to go. Beautiful place with tons of great options for local food. Best advice I always give tourists visiting the area is to stay away from the coast, which is a bad artificial rip-off of California. Just go up in the mountains, you'll see some of the most beautiful sights the country has to offer. Vallauris, La Colle-sur-Loup, etc. You're gonna need a car though.

Don't worry about an attack, but don't be surprised either.

Don't wear bumbags, American flag shirts, anything with eagles, or Kanye West shades.

Clap after ever meal.

Do the leaning tower is my big dick pic

Actually here's a decent tip, the markets and even supermarkets (hypermarkets) in these countries have great selections of fresh food, meats, especially cured meats, and cheeses and decent bread. That you won't be used to back home.

You can load up your hotel with some stuff on your first day.

AntoneM

Try not to eat right in the touristy areas. Pick up some basic Italian phrases, when I was in Italy for 5 weeks I often got a smile when trying to speak their language (not always, Italians are more serious than their reputation).

Don't be like the girl I heard while chillin near the tower of Pisa and say "Why did they build this so far from the train station?"

Try not to eat right in the touristy areas. Pick up some basic Italian phrases, when I was in Italy for 5 weeks I often got a smile when trying to speak their language (not always, Italians are more serious than their reputation).

Don't be like the girl I heard while chillin near the tower of Pisa and say "Why did they build this so far from the train station?"

Thanks :). Oh Lordy instead of appreciating the beauty and awe of the tower she was wonder why it's so far from the train?

don't waste more than a day / half a day in Pisa

Take a bus that drops you in Piazza Garibaldi, walk through borgo stretto, follow or ask the indications for Piazza dei cavalieri, from there you'll arrive to Piazza dei Miracoli

don't eat near Piazza dei Miracoli

i don't think there are other "must see" locations in Pisa

if you like Keith Haring his last mural is near the train and bus station, google up Tuttomondo

My one piece of advice:

When in Rome...

Watch out for traffic. Seriously they're crazy people and traffic lights are pretty much just there as a suggestion.

Nephtes

Take a day trip to Cinque Terre if you can while in Pisa. It's beautiful there.... Particularly Vernazza. It should be quite cheap to get there and back via train.

Too bad you'll be in Cannes in October... The beaches are pretty, but the Mediterranean will probably be a bit too cold to swim in... When we were in Paris in October it was like 35° outside...

There's some really nice wine tours north west of Cannes if you like that sort of thing.
Check out the wine tours that include Font Du Broc...

Don't miss a trip to the Roman Forum, I skipped it the first time I was in Rome because my wife had an injured foot and couldn't walk on all the uneven surfaces. We went back this summer it was incredible to see what it looked like a thousand years ago...Frozen in time.

Have fun!

Don't go to any restaurants that have more than two languages on the menu, those are most likey tourist traps...

Edit: seconded on the tip to watch out for traffic in Rome. They drive without much regard to pedestrians, especially the mopeds.

Auctopus

Here's a few...

- Don't queue up for The Vatican, say you are there for mass/prayer - you'll skip the 3-4 hour line.
- The Ecstasy of Saint Teresa is one of the most incredible pieces of art I've ever seen in person, it's a little out of the centre of the city but massively worth it: Cornaro Chapel, Santa Maria della Vittoria, Rome.
- The Trevi Cafe by the Trevi Fountain looks like a bit of a dive but had some of the best pizza I had in the city.

Here's a few...

- Don't queue up for The Vatican, say you are there for mass/prayer - you'll skip the 3-4 hour line.
- The Ecstasy of Saint Teresa is one of the most incredible pieces of art I've ever seen in person, it's a little out of the centre of the city but massively worth it: Cornaro Chapel, Santa Maria della Vittoria, Rome.
- The Trevi Cafe by the Trevi Fountain looks like a bit of a dive but had some of the best pizza I had in the city.

Excellent tips thanks! :)

G.ZZZ

Honestly there's not a lot to see in Pisa compared to a lot of close cities like Florence, Siena, San Gimignano or even Lucca. The inner tuscany countryside is the best part of the region, but it's hard to give out indications for that. Should check some online site that reccomend some itinerary in the small villages.

Auctopus

Excellent tips thanks! :)

No problem, hope you enjoy it - Rome's one of the best cities I've ever been to.

A note on the Vatican tip: this worked when me and my girlfriend at the time went about 4-5 years ago, they might've got wise to it. It's worth trying though before joining the queue.

Nephtes

Honestly there's not a lot to see in Pisa compared to a lot of close cities like Florence, Siena, San Gimignano or even Lucca. The inner tuscany countryside is the best part of the region, but it's hard to give out indications for that. Should check some online site that reccomend some itinerary in the small villages.

Agreed.
My wife and I went to Pisa on our honeymoon, it took like 15 minutes to climb the tower of Pisa and we were like "alright, now what?"

Florence is a stones throw away from Pisa and there's so much more to do there.
- statue of David
- the art museum that houses the statue of David
- the Medicci family house
- the Duomo (featured in Assassin's Creed)
- the tomb of Michaelangelo
- the Ponte Vecchio bridge with all the gold shops on it...

Whatever you do, buy all your tickets in advance for your whole trip if you can... The lines for just about everything touristy in Europe are crazy.

I missed out on seeing the inside of the Segrata Familia once because we thought we could buy tickets on sight and they were all sold out for the times we were available.

Feffe

I've been living in Pisa for three years foe the university. There's honestly not a lot to see there. Maybe some churches.

If you are into coffee there's an American-style coofee shop in via Santa Maria called Filter. They have a nice variety and the interior is very nice looking. If you want to experience Italian coofee (and you should :)) go in Borgo Stretto. There's a small place there called Largo Ciro Menotti where's you'll find "Giornali e Caffè" (Newspapers and Coofee). They also have a nice variety.

Near Piazza dei Cavalieri you'll find the restaurant Gramigna. They have lots of different types of beer and my friends used to say they are all very good. I don't drink beer so I don't know but believe me, they hamburgers and sandwiches they do are sooo good. They use foods from all over Italy. If you want something spicy try the 'nduja, which is is speciality from Southern Italy.

The obvious things in Rome, like the Vatican Museum, Colosseum, etc., are all worth seeing, but don't sleep on the Galleria Borghese. Amazing stuff, especially the mind-blowing sculptures by Bernini. The grounds are also absolutely gorgeous. Very worth the trip, one of the best museums in Europe.

Images and stuff

Agreed.
My wife and I went to Pisa on our honeymoon, it took like 15 minutes to climb the tower of Pisa and we were like "alright, now what?"

Florence is a stones throw away from Pisa and there's so much more to do there.
- statue of David
- the art museum that houses the statue of David
- the Medicci family house
- the Duomo (featured in Assassin's Creed)
- the tomb of Michaelangelo
- the Ponte Vecchio bridge with all the gold shops on it...

Whatever you do, buy all your tickets in advance for your whole trip if you can... The lines for just about everything touristy in Europe are crazy.

I missed out on seeing the inside of the Segrata Familia once because we thought we could buy tickets on sight and they were all sold out for the times we were available.

Thank you for this I just purchased tickets after reading this!

Also you all are awesome for these great suggestions

Well as part of my see the world tour to myself after my dad died and was his dream I’m finally going to Italy: Rome/Pisa the Paris then London.

So I’m sorry GAF if I embarrass my Italian buddies by holding the statue up lol

Llyranor

I'll be in Rome this November as well. However, compiling a list of things to see, there's too much stuff. Aside from the big stuff like the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill and Vatican, as well as places to pass by on the way to other places (like the Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona), is there anything on this list that people would consider not worthwhile?

- The 4 sites of the National Museum of Rome (Crypta Balbi, Baths of Diocletian, Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, Palazzo Altemps)
- Trajan's Market
- Borghese Gallery
- Capitoline Museums
- Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia
- Castel Sant'Angelo
- Pantheon
- Baths of Caracalla
- Bike/walk on Via Appia Antica (all the way to Aqueduct Park)
- Day trip to Ostia Antica
- Day trip to Hadrian's Villa/Villa d'este

I leave this Friday I’m incredibly excited!!!!

I go to Barcelona then we take a cruise that goes to Cannes France Rome and Pisa.

Its been a dream to see Rome & Pisa!

RiZ III

In Rome, visit Trajan's Market. It's extremely well preserved and, unlike the other ancient sites, seems to be pretty empty usually. When you exit, you can walk down the imperial forum and head down to the Colosseum and from there the Palatine Hill.

Make sure to stop by the pantheon of you get a chance. It's the only ancient building which is in almost perfect condition. Entrance is free and it's walking distance from all the other stuff. To be honest there's too much stuff to see in Rome as the post above mine shows, but I think the route I mentioned will allow you to see the best of the ancient stuff all in a day. You'll have to start the day early though.

Also, there is very little variety in food in Rome. They're mostly all Italian resturaunts serving the same stuff.

Jag

Thinking about a full Italy trip with the family. How long would you allocate for Rome? I love the Roman history, but don't need to spend much time at the Vatican.

I leave this Friday I'm incredibly excited!!!!

I go to Barcelona then we take a cruise that goes to Cannes France Rome and Pisa.

Its been a dream to see Rome & Pisa!

What cruise if you don't mind? Was thinking about doing it on a cruise too.

Blader

ha, I'm actually leaving for Italy (first time ever) this week too! Going to Florence, Venice, and a couple small towns in between; Rome will wait for another trip.

Stay safe, find a McDonalds

EAT EVERYTHING ITALY IS FOOD HEAVEN

I think there's actually a McDonalds near where I'm staying in Venice...

Jon

Mordi e Vai at Mercato Testaccio in Rome. Get the beef and chickory greens sandwich. I cannot stress this enough.

Avoid tourist trap restaurants.

Try to find restaurants where the locals eat.

Pro-Tip, they are the ones without multi-lingual menus

Rktk

My hairdresser moved to Pisa, you should look him up if you want the best haircut of your life.

Thinking about a full Italy trip with the family. How long would you allocate for Rome? I love the Roman history, but don't need to spend much time at the Vatican.

What cruise if you don't mind? Was thinking about doing it on a cruise too.

The Norwegian Epic that’s coming out of Barcelona. Great price too!

SArcher

Banned
Don't freak out when in Cannes Harvey Weinstein busts into your room and starts jerking himself off in front of you. That's just Harvey.

We just got back from a trip to Naples (family) and Rome. The Vatican was probably the least enjoyable part of the entire trip, but still nice. We went in the afternoon and through the museum with no wait, but the cattle chute to the Sistine Chapel is seriously depressing with all the tourists, even going out of season. And then too many tourists in the Sistine Chapel, guards yelling for silence and no photos, blech, just miserable. The thing my kids got the most surprising kick out of was the Pope's garage, which you can access from the garden cafe. Personally I enjoyed the map room the most, those old maps are so amazing.

Otherwise my favorite parts of Rome were the Imperial Forum Museum/Trajan's Market, which had all of like three people in it, and the Protestant Cemetery to see Keats' grave, also no one there. My kids liked the cat shelter they have in the cemetery.

For eating in Rome we would just find any 4+ star joint on Yelp or whatever. As vegetarians it was nice to be able to eat pretty much anywhere vs Paris where dinner was a pain in the ass. Gelato-wise we enjoyed Fata Morgana, and the tiramisu and gelato at Pompi (original near Vatican) were quite good also, although my wife's tiramisu is just as good, but she's semi-pro.

Buy the Roma Pass to skip lines and get in free, and have unlimited Metro and bus access. Go to popular things (Colosseum, Vatican) in the afternoon when crowds are smaller.

RDreamer

Rome is amazing. Really savor it and enjoy the experience. One of my favorite places I've ever been.

I'd say at least a week. My wife and I spent 5 days there and went from dawn till dusk every day walking our ass off around the city to try and see anything and everything we could and still missed some things. There's just so ridiculously much there.

You should definitely go to the Vatican. I think it provides a rather interesting context to religion and power, but you don't need a ton of time there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
WHEN IN ROME: Walk away from the centers. As little as a half mile from the Pantheon and a half mile from the Vatican (and so on) you'll find much better restaurants with better service, fewer scams and better food.

And by all means visit the main sights - but make sure you leave time to explore beyond those places - there's something amazing around every corner, down every alley.

Also make sure you're wearing long pants and a reasonable shirt to the Vatican and St. Peter's.

RDreamer

One thing of note in Italy, too. They eat much much later than we do in the US. At least much later than where I'm from in the midwest. Restaurants will often be closed until 7, and the busier times are like 9-11. You're the weird early bird patron at 7 or 8. Kinda like a grandpa going out to eat at 4:30-5PM here in the states.

Also if Gelatto looks 'too good to be true' then it probably is. Brightnly colored piles are probably artificial and not homemade. They can still be tasty, but look for some that are duller in color and look like there's much less in the batches (means they make them fresh). That's where the good shit is.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'd like to shout out, for rome, Villa Pamphili: It's, i think, the biggest park of europe entirely contained within city bounds, and it's an absurd place which looks "outside of time":
Villa-Pamphili-Roma-Hotel-Pamphili-03-thumb-1200x800.jpg

When i got there, i get a strange feeling that i do not know what year is it. In strikingly nearby corners of the place, you could be in the 2000s, or the 1800s, or the Roman era, or the very past, or the far future. It's a walk through small history waystones among nature, and it's probably my favourite place in all of Rome.
It's a bit out of the city center, but a walk into Trastevere->Gianicolo is well worth it anyway.

Oh, and it's gonna be unwieldy-ish, but most places outside of Trastevere with english-language menus are generally tourist traps.
Applies especially to Gelaterias.

There's a ton of hidden food gems in Rome, but if you're very near major touristy attractions, you should probably tripadvisor your choices.

Imho the best Gelateria in Rome

(yes, i'm a local)

Rome is pretty much tourist attraction central. You could spend a month here and not run out of stuff to do.

Top Bottom