• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globe Awards 2015 aka The Tina and Amy Show - 5pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Is Boyhood a good film or is the idea of it what makes it good?
I've got a bud who is pretty hard on films, and he had nothing but good things to say. I'll trust him when he says it's genuinely good. I understand where you're coming from though. I had the same question.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Its idea is what makes it good, since the idea is the movie. I can only see it winning for the novelty of it. There was nothing particularly engaging about the story beyond the obvious success of chronicling a boy growing up.

Choomp

Banned

Have it feeling it's the latter for most people. It's so simple and doesn't take on the normal conventions movies do now, and it's basically just someone's life, with nothing really too special happening in it.

I've got a bud who is pretty hard on films, and he had nothing but good things to say. I'll trust him when he says it's genuinely good. I understand where you're coming from though. I had the same question.
Yeah same here. The concept is interesting enough to watch it. But it would be nice if the movie itself was kinda good too.

newjeruse

The two are inseparable in this case. Many films with the same plot would seem overly saccharine, but the concept draws you so close to the characters, it feels much more earned.

Both. It's a pretty great portrait of a child growing up just taken on its own but the fact that you're actually watching the child physically grow up over the course of the film elevates it into something really special.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I felt like it was the latter, but I seem to be mostly alone in that. I just felt like if the same story was told/directed in the traditional sense (with multiple actors playing the same character, or by using effects/make-up) that it'd be pretty average. That's just me, though.

overcast

A lot of people love the Bad News Bear remake.

His filmography is kind of all over the place.
Dazed and Confused, Before trilogy, School of Rock, and Boyhood are vastly superior. Slacker is more interesting to me too.

I think many directors would kill to have had a career like his.

shwimpy

1344090-wrap_it_up_box_super.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom