• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun - is it worth it to keep going?

Alucard

Banned
I've put 10 hours into it now and am about midway through the quest. The first lighthouse has been lit and I just got out of Xian and am helping a girl to look for some guy named Hsu.

I've liked the game so far, despite the story not really being all that interesting. The battles are quite beautiful, especially the effects on summons like Atalanta and psynergy-based attacks like Ragnarok, but there is nothing that's terribly great about the game. It's certainly good and it's certainly fun, but I feel like my time would be better spent on something else. (I've been wanting to play through Metroid Fusion again and have been thinking of trading in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for Zelda: A Link to the Past)

So, does the game get any better or does it basically keep the same type of tone as it has up until now? I'm also just borrowing it from a friend so I don't want to keep it for too long either.

AniHawk

Alucard said:
I've put 10 hours into it now and am about midway through the quest. The first lighthouse has been lit and I just got out of Xian and am helping a girl to look for some guy named Hsu.

I've liked the game so far, despite the story not really being all that interesting. The battles are quite beautiful, especially the effects on summons like Atalanta and psynergy-based attacks like Ragnarok, but there is nothing that's terribly great about the game. It's certainly good and it's certainly fun, but I feel like my time would be better spent on something else. (I've been wanting to play through Metroid Fusion again and have been thinking of trading in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for Zelda: A Link to the Past)

So, does the game get any better or does it basically keep the same type of tone as it has up until now? I'm also just borrowing it from a friend so I don't want to keep it for too long either.

Golden Sun just really stays the same until the end.

The Lost Age is MUCH, MUCH better. If you want to skip GS, and go straight to the good part, just get The Lost Age. The minus is that you wont really appreciate it that much since it's a direct continuation. The plus is that it's simply a lot more fun, and the story advances much better than in GS. Also, you wont be able to transfer your data into TLA if you quit now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I didn't like Goldensun. Stopped about 10 hours in.

Mario Golf Advance Tour, however, is very fun! Hey, it's an RPG! Sorta

Alucard

Banned
I don't play many games anymore as it is. If I can get the game at least until the end of this week then I'll probably just get all hardcore and put a few hours into it every day to finish it. :p Don't know if I'll even play The Lost Age though. I've heard that the first one is actually only half a game, which is a bit of a ripoff in my mind.

belgurdo

Banned
Stop playing the first one, avoid the second half because it's more of the same, except you get a boat to travel to more boring towns in. Play Megaman Battle Network instead

I gave up on the sequel. Too trying. The 1st one was kind of okay in an old school kind of way but the 2nd one.. too boring. Stupid powers and stupid plot. Meh.. if you don't like it.. move on

If your planing to buy it, I would not suggest it. Reply value of the rpg does not equal its cost value. Go the way of some people and play the rom and test it out before planing to drop down $25.

Alucard

Banned
Does someone at least die before the first game is over? The story is just average right now and I really think a major character death could give it a kick in the ass.

Oh yeah...I'm probably going to trade it in anyways, but what did people in this thread think of FFT Advance? I only played it for about 2-3 hours but wasn't thrilled at all. Blah. Maybe turn based strategy games just aren't my thing. I don't want to trade it in because of the Final Fantasy name on the cover, but I don't think I'll ever touch it again so I might as well just get Zelda, a game I've always considered one of the greatest ever, and enjoy that. Mario Golf Advance sounds fantastic too though. Hmm...decisions.

AniHawk

Alucard said:
Does someone at least die before the first game is over? The story is just average right now and I really think a major character death could give it a kick in the ass.

Oh yeah...I'm probably going to trade it in anyways, but what did people in this thread think of FFT Advance? I only played it for about 2-3 hours but wasn't thrilled at all. Blah. Maybe turn based strategy games just aren't my thing. I don't want to trade it in because of the Final Fantasy name on the cover, but I don't think I'll ever touch it again so I might as well just get Zelda, a game I've always considered one of the greatest ever, and enjoy that. Mario Golf Advance sounds fantastic too though. Hmm...decisions.

A couple people die before the game is over.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I played through it twice and stopped at the venus lighthouse both times (is that the one with all the construction workers?)

In other news, last Night I realized I missed recruiting a character in Fire emblem two chapters ago, andnow I am contemplating going back to get him =/ WTF is wrong with me, why can't I play these games like a normal person?

explodet

scola said:
In other news, last Night I realized I missed recruiting a character in Fire emblem two chapters ago, andnow I am contemplating going back to get him =/ WTF is wrong with me, why can't I play these games like a normal person?
Bah, it's not just you. I let a guy die in Fire Emblem without realizing it and accidentally saved over the slot, and I'm contemplating starting again two chapters past so he lives.

It's just that damn game! :D

Dreamfixx

I don't know shit about shit
Golden Sun has no f***ing plot. Finish it if you've played that long, though. But in a slow-moving game like a turn-based RPG, a good plot is *very* necessary.

belgurdo

Banned
Dreamfixx said:
Golden Sun has no f***ing plot. Finish it if you've played that long, though. But in a slow-moving game like a turn-based RPG, a good plot is *very* necessary.

Plus all of the characters are blank slates.

callous

I really enjoyed Golden Sun. Lost Age seemed to be simply more of the same, but after about 10 hours I got bored and stopped playing.

I didn't really enjoy Golden Sun. Advance Wars 1 & 2, FF:TA, Fire Emblem and Mario & Luigi should be the only RPG/Strat-RPGs you should be concerned with.

Also, I agree with you on Fusion. I played through that game five times. And had a blast each time. There is no other game that can mimmick its unique sci-fi quality. It's disturbing being on that damn ship. That whole universe that Fusion presented just painted a very bleak picture of life as a whole. The space pirates are gone, mother brain too, all of the indiginous Metroid are gone and all that is really left is this thing called the X. And it seems like it is the future of the series. That is a good thing, but very bleak. I like the aesthetic that permeates as a result of new direction.

If anything it's gotten better because I have more abilities now. The story is about the same though. Still pretty much just chasing bad guys with a few sidequests here and there.

Top Bottom