• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Acoustic Versions of Songs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motch

Hey -

This weekend in London Ontario, they've been playing repeats of Edge Sessions. These are versions of modern rock songs that are now played acoustic. Can you think of any acoustic versions of songs you really like? I'm enjoying Interstate Love Song by STP right now...

PS - just found out that MTV Unplugged is the exact same thing for you Americans. List them dammit! I want to play these songs on guitar Pronto.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's probably almost a cliche answer, but Nirvana's Unplugged is a great album.

A lot of it was cover songs, but it's really worth a listen.

sonatinas

tesla's version of breakin the chains with don dokken on vocals

lady wore black acoustic by queensryche

these arent the best but decent versions of the songs

Ryu

Everlong by Foo Fighters and Hands Down by Dashboard Confessionals. Both, in my opinion, are pretty good acoustic versions of those songs.

There's a great acoustic version of the Breeders' "Cannonball." It was on some promo only 4AD comp, but I see it floating around on Soulseek, etc. from time to time.

There's a great recording of Thom Yorke playing Creep on the My Iron Lung EP.

Sublime's "Pool Shark".

Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never have (off "And All That Could Have Been" bonus CD)

Anything by Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds, particularly Cry Freedom and Halloween.

=W=

That acoustic cover of "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" that someone posted here a while ago was pretty good. By some guy named Edson I think.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The four albums Johhny Cash did for American Recordings had a lot of good acoustic covers of new american standards. NIN's "Hurt" the Beatles' "In My Life" and Hank Williams Sr. "Im so Lonesome I Could Cry" (with Nick Cave) stand out on the fourth album When The Man Comes Around.

There's so many good acoustic songs. I can only remember a few right now:

PJ Harvey - Dress
REM - Losing My Religion
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
Sarah McLachlan - Sweet Surrender
Oasis - Wonderwall
U2 - Staring at the Sun
Nirvana- Lake of Fire
Pearl Jam - Black
Coldplay - See You Soon
Morrissey - My Love Life

an acoustic version only counts if its synthetic music played on well.. like guitars.

like martin l gore playing depeche mode-songs on his guitar. that was awesome.

Stillborn- Black Label Society

They did a blues type acoustic version with a super long intro on our local radio station(wccc). I have to say it's one of the best acoustic versions of any song I've ever heard. The vocals especially were absolutely amazing. I wish I had an mp3 for you guys to hear. I'm sure some of you would really appreciate it..

-CLIP

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack

and if it's allowed, Radiohead's Like Spinning Plates on piano rather than synth :p

human5892

Queen of Denmark
The Hollow - A Perfect Circle (it shouldn't be too hard to find on a file-sharing network, but you can't buy it in album form or anything like that)
1,000 More Fools - Bad Religion (same as above)
Suffer - Bad Religion (same as above)
Do What You Want - Bad Religion (same as above)

Also, even though it's been mentioned already, Nirvana's Unplugged album in its entirety. I'm actually not a big fan of the band normally, but their songs become three hundred times better when arranged acoustically. There's also some very cool covers on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom