• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Interview with Retro Studios - Metroid Prime:Echoes

SantaC

I am even more hyped for echoes after reading this interview :D

GI: I’m sitting here in Seattle, Washington with Michael Kelbaugh, President of Retro Studios and Bryan Walker, senior producer on Metroid Prime: Echoes. First of all, Nintendo showed off a pretty final build of the game yesterday and today. How has the development process been so far?

Kelbaugh: (laughs) See these bags under our eyes! We’re actually within a week of approval, so we’re running non-stop, working on the finals for submission. We’re working on the last little touches here and there and hopefully we'll wrap it up this week.

GI: Compared to the first Prime, how would you say the two development cycles have differed? Obviously with the first game, taking the franchise into 3D was a huge undertaking. Has development on the second game been easier considering that you already know how to work marvels with their 3D engine?

Walker: One thing that I’d like to throw out there is that we just didn’t take the last game engine and throw in new content. This is not an expansion disc. We really threw a lot of time and money at improving the underlying technology, so much so that people will immediately be able to see a much denser, a much richer experience. There’s about 20 to 25 percent more content per any given area in Echoes than in the last game. The Prime technology could run not Echoes.

GI: Did you end up completely overhauling the entire engine then?

Walker: There’s very little that wasn’t seriously improved in the underlying technology.

Kelbaugh: There are almost no assets that were we reused for Echoes. In 18 months, by the way (laughs).

Walker: And we really have to tip our hats to the engineers. These are the guys who could have just sat back and said, “We have a great engine, let’s just deal with that.” But these guys are absolute perfections and refused to let any opportunity for improvement slip by.

Kelbaugh: Not only that, but the team, for the most part, is intact from the first game.

GI: Is it larger now?

Kelbaugh: It’s a little bit larger but it’s also more experienced. We’ve streamlined the processes and we’re more efficient now, and we’re a lot more experienced with how to get a game out the door as a team. Just with that experience it was a lot more efficient process.

GI: How does Echoes stack up to Prime in terms of gameplay length?

Walker: We’ve been a great deal of what we call white paper testing with people who are very experienced with Prime and also people off the street, and we’re finding that the length is stacking up to be as long, if not even longer, than the original game. Not only that, we’re finding that the pace is better laid out. It’s a more even, enjoyable experience for both short and long play sessions.

GI: As far as bonus content, do guys have anything tucked up your sleeves?

Walker: You can expect to see some unlockable content, yes.

GI: So, does that mean there will be another unlockable Metroid game?

Walker: No comment (laughs).

GI: In my time with the game, I noticed that some of the action is really challenging now, even more so than it seemed in Prime. Is this something you set out to accomplish from the beginning?

Walker: There are some very challenging parts in the game, especially the boss fights. They’re really epic.

Kelbaugh: I can’t even begin to explain the effort that we spent on adjusting, tuning, and fine honing the bosses and those encounters. I can’t guess the percentage, but a large percentage of our efforts were spent just making sure that those experiences were triple A.

Walker: And the last finishing touches are still going in. 99 percent of the rest of game development studios out there would have shipped this game three months ago and it would have been solid. But given the dynamic that we have between our colleagues at SPD in Kyoto, with bouncing ideas and suggestions for improvement back and forth has really been a big help. It’s really taken this game to the next level.

GI: Aside from these two Metroid games that you’ve created, what’s next for Retro Studios now? Some companies seem to get typecast into making certain games. You think of Rockstar, you think GTA. You think of EA, you probably think of Madden. Is Retro going to be ‘the Metroid’ company? Or, are these two games going to be good experience for future projects?

Kelbaugh: Well, you know, I think we’re good at what we do. We like the franchise and we think we do it well, and with that said, we’d like to keep it. But also, we’d like to grow and see where the creative flow of the studio takes us. Certainly, we’d like to do other things but we’d also like to keep the Metroid franchise as well. The long term of Retro is to produce multiple SKUs. Right now we’re a one team house. Hopefully soon we’ll be able to pump out more titles.

GI: What do you think is really going to bring the gamers to buy Echoes, especially those who may not have played the first Prime game?

Kelbaugh: We spent a ton of time on making sure the multiplayer experience was true to the Metroid fan. You can slap a Deathmatch onto any game, you see it in 90 percent of the product out there, but we tried really hard to stay true to the Metroid fan so that multiplayer experience was a Metroid experience. And we feel comfortable that we’ve done that. To me, I’m really proud that we were able to accomplish that. It’s not just Deathmatch; there’s a whole morph ball element to it that’s unique to the title. We’ve just incorporated a lot of cool Metroid stuff and I think we’re the only ones that can do that.

GI: How do you think the public response will be from the public in regards to the multiplayer?

Walker: I think the Prime multiplayer is a social and viral experience. A guy has a roommate who’s never played the game sit down and play multiplayer and, boom, we’ve got another Metroid fan. I think that is one of the key advantages that multiplayer brings us as well as brings us exposure in a new market.

GI: Were there ever any thoughts of taking the game online?

Kelbaugh: We had a really aggressive schedule. 18 months from the get go. It just wasn’t something that we had the bandwidth to do. We talked about it but when we took a look at the resources needed, we just didn’t have them.

Walker: I’ve spent a good chunk of my career developing and supporting online games and to do an online game right is probably a two axe effort to do a good single player online game and we don’t want to do anything unless it’s as high of quality as we want it to be. And to take 18 months and an online game and do it justice, it just wasn’t possible.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200410/N04.1008.2258.52069.htm

Nice interview. Can't wait to get my hands on the final game. In fact, I think I'll play the Echoes demo again tonight.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Unlockable Super Metroid, make it happen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
dark10x said:
If they could do that WITHOUT CONNECTIVITY, I would be very happy.

Connectivity wasn't even an option in my mind, no GBA over here. Don't plan on ever getting one either. If they want to make it a pain in the ass to get it, just make the person have a Metroid Prime save file on their memory card. Of course this would be less of a pain for me than needing some GBA Metroid game.

Connectivity is way less of a focus now, then it was when Metroid Prime came out. So I don't expect it to involve connectivity. Fusion and Prime also came out at the same time...Zero Mission came out quite some time ago, and another Metroid isn't in development for the GBA.

And by the way...Some people from Valve and Id work at Retro now? I didn't know that.

ToyMachine228 said:
And by the way...Some people from Valve and Id work at Retro now? I didn't know that.

They were there from the beginning. That why everyone assumbed Car Combat would be one of the launch titles for an online network. Why bring in all these online people if there was zero intent to go online. Fortunately they eventually solved their unfocused direction and gave us the Metroids. But it was still a waste of talent to bring in so much online experience and bench it.

Kon Tiki

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:

Walker: I’ve spent a good chunk of my career developing and supporting online games and to do an online game right is probably a two axe effort to do a good single player online game and we don’t want to do anything unless it’s as high of quality as we want it to be. And to take 18 months and an online game and do it justice, it just wasn’t possible.

I am pretty sure that dude did.

SantaC

ToyMachine228 said:
Connectivity is way less of a focus now, then it was when Metroid Prime came out. So I don't expect it to involve connectivity. Fusion and Prime also came out at the same time...Zero Mission came out quite some time ago, and another Metroid isn't in development for the GBA.

yes retro has people from valve, id and old turok team.

When Metroid Prime came out, I gained a lot of respect for Retro...But I also expected them to be quiet, and I didn't really expect much from them for some reason...Despite the fact that they just made the best game of 2002...

Now looking at them though, I'm gaining more and more respect for Retro. I highly respect them for what they are doing with Echoes. Like they said, Echoes isn't an expansion disc...Which is what a lot of sequels are these days. I'm highly looking forward to Echoes, and I can't wait to see what Retro does next. My prediction is a new IP for the launch of the Revolution, with Metroid Prime 3 on the back burner to follow it, a little ways into th generation.

Deku Tree

Grizzlyjin said:

I'd love this...
But does Nintendo even have a SNES emulator for the GC?
I doubt they'd write one just to make Super Metroid an unlockable.

Retro should work on another Metroid game after Echoes for Revolution, they are the best in doing Metroid now, and we can't have another generation without a Metroid game (like N64)...

tenchir

Deku Tree said:
I'd love this...
But does Nintendo even have a SNES emulator for the GC?
I doubt they'd write one just to make Super Metroid an unlockable.

I don't think they will have any problems writing the emulator. They did create emulators specifically for Zelda:OOT/MM and NES games(on Animal Crossing).

Falch

So, do you guys think they'll make another gc game, or that they will start developing a game for the launch of Revolution?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm hoping for Super Metroid, but expecting either Metroid 2, or something entirely different (and not as cool) when they talk about 'unlockables.'

Mad typos, but a fun interview. I think they're done with this gen, btw. Wouldn't mind a retooled Raven Blade as a Revo launch RPG, however.

snapty00

Banned
What they ought to do is blow everybody's mind by having a new -- but admittedly short -- 2D Metroid game included on the disc that illustrates something that happened between two of the "real" Metroid games. It'd be like a mini-sidestory game.

Having said all that, I'm sure it'll be Metroid 2.

fallout

I am pretty sure that dude did.

Actually, Bryan Walker worked at Origin Systems. Mind you, those guys would know a thing or two about online gaming.

Grubdog

Banned
Falch said:
So, do you guys think they'll make another gc game, or that they will start developing a game for the launch of Revolution?
Well they talked about their team expanding and being able to do multiple projects at once, so i'm hoping they can do both, perhaps a GC game late 2005/early 2006 if possible, and a Revolution game for christmas 2006? Hmmm, it's really hard to say at this point considering we don't even know when Revolution will launch.

That was a great interview, Retro are one of the best development studios in the world, i'm placing a pre-order down for Metroid Prime 2.

Dragmire

I loved Prime, and Echoes looks great (the demo was fun), but... I'd like to see them make original content and give console Metroid back to EAD. I'd like to see it in third person. First person has been fun, but when I look at Zero Mission and Fusion, I just feel the series belongs in EAD's hands. It's just so much more true and interesting in their hands. It's a franchise thing, not a quality thing.

Dragmire said:
It's just so much more true and interesting in their hands. It's a franchise thing, not a quality thing.

Hmm, I think it's been pretty interesting in Retro's hands. The whole greater emphasis on Chozo lore is really cool. Sool cool it made its way into Zero Mission...

AniHawk

I spoke with Bryan Walker at E3. :)

He told me a couple things about the game not in that interview

:)

....go me

Dragmire said:
First person has been fun, but when I look at Zero Mission and Fusion, I just feel the series belongs in EAD's hands. It's just so much more true and interesting in their hands. It's a franchise thing, not a quality thing.

I'm usually not a nt picker but Metroid is basically Nintendo's anti-ead franchise.
I'm pretty sure teams from or closely linked with R and D 1 and Intelligent Systems have made the previous metroids, and not EAD.

What I'd like to see is some Kid icarus action. Yeah, another remake, I know. But make it happen damnit!

Grizzlyjin said:

I too was thinking this and would love this.

I really enjoyed Metroid Prime and it's one of my fav GC games but I'm just not feeling the hype for Echoes for some reason. I don't mind though as hype can hurt a game in the end.

Chrono

Banned
Kelbaugh: I can’t even begin to explain the effort that we spent on adjusting, tuning, and fine honing the bosses and those encounters. I can’t guess the percentage, but a large percentage of our efforts were spent just making sure that those experiences were triple A.

Best part of the interview.

I just hope those bosses are more like Omega pirate and less like Ridely. :p

And I definitely expect Retro to go into Revolution for their next project. It's too late for this generation. If they start now, they can have a game out by fall 2006-- probably the time Revolution will launch. I don't want them to do a FPS though and Raven Blade looked pretty bad from what I've seen.

My dream Retro game would be an epic action adventure one set in an extravagant fantasy world. The story should compete with the best of RPGs. Music is up there with Uematsu. It would have an innovative real-time battle system that brings new things to the table and huge dungeons with bosses as hard as the ones in MP but as clever as the ones in Zelda.

It would be the kind of game that would sell millions both in the U.S. and in Japan.

That will never happen though. >_<

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I'm pretty sure teams from or closely linked with R and D 1 and Intelligent Systems have made the previous metroids, and not EAD.

The Metroid series belongs to Nintendo R&D1. Intelligent Systems was involved in Metroid 3 (program) with R&D1.

Metroid has never been an EAD game, but some of the R&D1 who worked on previous Metroids have been reassigned to EAD. Metroid 2 director Hiroyuki Kimura works for EAD now.

Deg

Banned
AniHawk said:
I spoke with Bryan Walker at E3. :)

He told me a couple things about the game not in that interview

:)

....go me

Cool. Make sure you mark it out. Anything good you heard?

AniHawk

Deg said:
Cool. Make sure you mark it out. Anything good you heard?

"Mark it out?" What do you mean?

And yeah, I heard something interesting about the game I haven't seen in any interview since E3. Wont blow your socks off, but I thought it was a nice little tidbit.

Deg

Banned
AniHawk said:
"Mark it out?" What do you mean?

And yeah, I heard something interesting about the game I haven't seen in any interview since E3. Wont blow your socks off, but I thought it was a nice little tidbit.

Just tell us :)

Deku Tree

AniHawk said:

Why say this at all if your not going to spill the beans?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what do you have to lose by telling us?

Chrono

Banned
catfish said:
what do you have to lose by telling us?

reggie_hulk.jpg

AniHawk

Deku Tree said:
Why say this at all if your not going to spill the beans?

Because I told everyone in a thread I made after E3 with the following:

Donkey Konga to be $50 including bongos
Bongos will be sold separately for $30
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat will be full priced and without bongos
I know some info on Echoes
Nintendo wants the DS to be $150

Guess which parts were ignored.

Deg

Banned
Maybe he only just told him that you can save 3 games? Or something like that? :)

AniHawk said:
Because I told everyone in a thread I made after E3 with the following:

Donkey Konga to be $50 including bongos
Bongos will be sold separately for $30
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat will be full priced and without bongos
I know some info on Echoes
Nintendo wants the DS to be $150

Guess which parts were ignored.

Please tell. SPill the beans.

AniHawk

I was playing multiplayer at E3 and this guy started giving me tips on the game. After one round, I asked if he wanted to play. He said he was just watching since he was the producer of the game and was just watching people's reactions. It was Bryan Walker, and we talked a bit on Metroid Prime and Echoes. I admitted I didn't really like the first game (one he apparently didn't work on according to the credits), but the multiplayer was pretty fun for me. He told me that there'd be more to the multiplayer than shown at E3. More powerups and uses for Samus's abilities (stuff we've already found out by now like scanning = no morph ball for other players).

Then he told me that some of the tips he told me while I was playing multi might not be told to the player directly. Meaning that there wont be a tutorial mode some special moves may not be in the manual so players can discover secret moves on their own.

Told you it wouldn't knock your socks off. But I did tell everyone this at E3 so... :mad:

SantaC

AniHawk said:
I was playing multiplayer at E3 and this guy started giving me tips on the game. After one round, I asked if he wanted to play. He said he was just watching since he was the producer of the game and was just watching people's reactions. It was Bryan Walker, and we talked a bit on Metroid Prime and Echoes. I admitted I didn't really like the first game (one he apparently didn't work on according to the credits), but the multiplayer was pretty fun for me. He told me that there'd be more to the multiplayer than shown at E3. More powerups and uses for Samus's abilities (stuff we've already found out by now like scanning = no morph ball for other players).

Then he told me that some of the tips he told me while I was playing multi might not be told to the player directly. Meaning that there wont be a tutorial mode some special moves may not be in the manual so players can discover secret moves on their own.

Told you it wouldn't knock your socks off. But I did tell everyone this at E3 so... :mad:

that's pretty cool though.

Top Bottom