• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Place for textures for 3d models? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
anything in general would help. I still need to decide what im going to be doing but I wanna burn some to cd since I cant get online at home over the weekend.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Buy a camera. Nothing beats sampling reality, and you can get exactly what you want.
When it comes to lighting for texture map photos, the flatter the better. Overcast days are ideal.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Oh, and when it comes to lighting a 3D scene, a camera and a two-inch chrome ball bearing are your best friends. (assuming your renderer supports global illumination)

TAJ

>>>eh, HDRshop and a premade lightprobe is a lot less of a hassle and infinitely better looking.<<<

???? All the pre-made lightprobes I've seen used the same ball bearing that you can buy yourself for less than $20. And OF COURSE you use HDRshop. But to have an image sequence to feed HDRshop, you need a camera and tripod...

Vark

a true lightprobe is a hell of a lot more than a 2 " ball bearing. You need a larger mirrored ball for accurate sampling. Plus you have to photograph it from at least two different angles to minimize the distortion of the far corners of the sphere. I had some friends who created their own lightprobe for an animation they were doing and it isn't easy to get a good one.

Here's what all is actually involved:

http://www.debevec.org/HDRShop/tutorial/tutorial5.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom