• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Battersea Power Station said:
Vic, can you please unify Messenger, Voice, and Talk? I mean, shit, dude.
I'm busy with finalizing ICS. Sorry bro.

btw, it's now possible to share circles: https://plus.google.com/u/0/112710501221399450850/posts/LbvuSCTY7dG

The option is not available to me at the moment, might be later today.

I have around 130 members in my GAF circle. I read that some people have more than 200 so please share! With this new feature, creating a community at Google + will be much easier than the way it's been till now.

edit: argh!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
radioheadrule83 said:
I've just went to try it and I've noticed it hasn't been rolled out to me yet... I was going to share the UK GAF circle
"Owen Prater - Please note that we're rolling this out over the next few hours to everyone."

I just saw a feature about a new Facebook right now on CNN.com
I really want Google+ to take over but if everyone I know is still on facebook damn
LLShC.gif

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Google Plus Traffic Went Up 1269% Last Week

plustraffic0926.jpg

New data from Experian Hitwise show a dramatic increase in traffic over the week since the service opened to everyone. Visits to Google Plus increased by 1269% last week. The site received 15 million U.S. visits, up from 1.1 million the week before. Google Plus went from ranking 54th in Hitwise's Social Networking and Forums category to ranking 8th in just one week.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_plus_traffic_went_up_1269_last_week.php

Crazyorloco

Sharing circles is great. Im noticing way more activity on G+. Sharing circles will help newcomers settle in...and help regulars find great posters.

eznark

Banned
I wish there was a way to merge circles. I'd love to just add the shared GAF circle to my existing GAF circle, or at least be able to sort the shared circle by people who aren't yet in my circle.

CIRCLE

Vlodril

So someone can share their gaf circle. The link above doesn't work. Was waiting for the sharing to become available, made sense.

kehs

Banned
Vlodril said:
So someone can share their gaf circle. The link above doesn't work. Was waiting for the sharing to become available, made sense.

That link only works for people it's shared with.

Just had my first White People Problem due to the lack of web-based Messenger (the service formerly known as Huddle):

Wife and I were meeting parents for dinner, with a flexible timing based on how our days were going. We had everyone in one message thread, and I said "I'm done at work, about to hop on the train. I'll be there in an hour."

Wife had her phone charging in another room and was on her computer. We're both used to Talk and Voice, so we get all our messages no matter what device we're using. But we both forgot about Messenger being phone-only and she didn't get the message for about 30 mins.

It was a minor thing, but something I now need to keep in mind when sending and receiving via Messenger.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Just had my first White People Problem due to the lack of web-based Messenger (the service formerly known as Huddle):

Wife and I were meeting parents for dinner, with a flexible timing based on how our days were going. We had everyone in one message thread, and I said "I'm done at work, about to hop on the train. I'll be there in an hour."

Wife had her phone charging in another room and was on her computer. We're both used to Talk and Voice, so we get all our messages no matter what device we're using. But we both forgot about Messenger being phone-only and she didn't get the message for about 30 mins.

It was a minor thing, but something I now need to keep in mind when sending and receiving via Messenger.

Yeah, my wife and I use Voice a lot, and I access it from Chrome more than on my phone. I'm eagerly anticipating the ability to use G+ Messenger from my browser. It's a really nice SMS/MMS service apart from lacking that feature.

Terrell

AstroLad said:
I hope this will be measured in the weeks to come to see how much of a drop-off there is.

And considering all of the tech events of the last few weeks, which include revelations of the tensions between Facebook and Apple (apparently) continuing to escalate, as well as the whole Spotify-Facebook partnership being a clear shot across Apple's port bow (if you're pardon the nautical warfare phrase), I feel like re-interating something I said about 3000 posts ago:

Terrell said:
Do you think that Google+ may have been the reason that Apple opted not to bake Facebook right into iOS like it has with Twitter?
Perhaps collectively with Android and iOS backing it, Apple could theoretically help to be king-maker for Google+. It'd make sense and be beneficial for both Apple and Google... if Apple EVER opted to go into social networking themselves, I'm sure they'd be happier promoting the use of a service that allows for content to be exported and re-implemented into another service later down the road. Or Apple could just be happy letting Google make its money through internet services since Apple already makes money hand over fist in consumer electronics and doesn't need to stick its fingers into too many unfamiliar pies.

To expand upon this idea, while Google does openly compete with Apple in the mobile OS (and therefore the mobile device) sector, there is no reason to suspect that Apple sees G+ as an antagonistic enterprise against them. In fact, heavy integration of G+ on iOS could be seen as taking a software advantage away from Android exclusively, which will be beneficial to Apple as the service expands. And as a means of locking Google+ into the mobile space via deep OS integration with the 2 largest mobile platforms, that is an Android advantage that Google would likely concede to let go of.

By comparison, recent actions by Facebook would show that they ARE becoming business antagonists to Apple in the mainstay businesses they control without equal, pairing with services or creating their own that seek to pull people away from the iTunes Stores that keeps consumers within the Apple ecosystem.

And if Google agrees to allow the G+ APIs to integrate Ping into the service, all the more reason for this to happen.

In the face of a common foe, Apple and Google are an indomitable pair, and I doubt even Facebook could hold their own against them, given the sheer power of their influence on technology as a whole.

Vic said:
I'm busy with finalizing ICS. Sorry bro.

Wait wait wait... does this mean what I think it means?

kehs

Banned
So all the people I had friended in Facebook before I closed that account are adding me on Google +..... success?

Polari

This is what I don't understand. Google+ needs Messenger on the web interface because then it will have a proper PM system instead relying on the not particularly user friendly concept of sharing with a single person as a way to communicate privately. I don't think it overlaps with Google Talk, as that's an IM rather than a PM service.

gcubed

Polari said:
This is what I don't understand. Google+ needs Messenger on the web interface because then it will have a proper PM system instead relying on the not particularly user friendly concept of sharing with a single person as a way to communicate privately. I don't think it overlaps with Google Talk, as that's an IM rather than a PM service.

it should overlap with talk, and that should be integrated into this platform as well and get rid of redundant services.

Has anyone here used Hangout in an enterprise? Say I want to use hangout as a web conference solution, do all the participants need to have a google+ (or google) account?

If there's bit depth compression going on it might also help to limit colours to something sensible.

I've just got a phone with a front facing camera and I'm a bit disappointed that in order to have a hangout on the phone, you need to join one started from the desktop client. They really need to make it so you can just start one anywhere. I haven't looked at the API yet, but if Google don't do it, maybe someone else can.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
that's garbage clickbait

Have you seen the stories lately that Google+ traffic dropped by 60%?

This figure represents not the decline of Google+, but the decline of newspaper trustworthiness. Here's what happened.

Google+ was invite only. On the day they opened the floodgates to the public, traffic immediately spiked by 1,200%. These new people were mostly enthusiastic new users. But a minority was tire-kickers who didn't stick around.

When the dust cleared, total traffic was nearly five times higher than before the doors opened. But the Sunday Mail reported it as a 60% drop from the peak on day one of public beta.

Their idiotic, misleading headline: "Traffic plunges for Google+ as 60% of users log off"

The accurate headline they should have used: "Traffic increases fivefold as Google+ opens to public"
https://plus.google.com/u/1/113117251731252114390/posts/AZh8wwb76vR?hl=en

kevinski

Banned
Is there a Windows app that allows you to post to Facebook, Google+ and Twitter simultaneously? I don't seem to have any issues with finding services that let you post to Facebook and Twitter at the same time, but Google+ doesn't appear to be supported (although Google Buzz is, ugh).

Bit-Bit

kevinski said:
Is there a Windows app that allows you to post to Facebook, Google+ and Twitter simultaneously? I don't seem to have any issues with finding services that let you post to Facebook and Twitter at the same time, but Google+ doesn't appear to be supported (although Google Buzz is, ugh).

There's an extension for google chrome called SGPLUS. You can search for it in the google chrome market.

Top Bottom