• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

SimleuqiR

brandonh83 said:
Sequel to Demon's.

Sequel!!??? Fuck!
Is it still as impossible to play as the first?!
I hadn't quit a videogame in ages...but I quit Demon Souls. Praise the gamers who could actually progress in that game.

SimleuqiR said:
Sequel!!??? Fuck!
Is it still as impossible to play as the first?!
I hadn't quit a videogame in ages...but I quit Demon Souls. Praise the gamers who could actually progress in that game.

It's just as brutal and unforgiving as the first one, but not impossible (if you have the time).

SimleuqiR

roodiculous said:
It's just as brutal and unforgiving as the first one, but not impossible (if you have the time).

Yeah...I'll pass.

In other on topic news:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/google-popular-posts-eye-catching.html?

What’s Hot on Google+: see what everyone’s talking about
Google+ users share and receive billions of items every day—on a wide range of topics, in nearly every country. Circles give you a personal lens on all this activity, helping you focus on updates from your family or your favorite celebrities. But sometimes you want to know what the world is so excited about. Whether it’s breaking news or beautiful photos, you just don’t want to miss anything. With this in mind, we’re launching “What’s Hot” on Google+, a new place to visit for interesting and unexpected content:

Google+ Ripples: watch how posts get shared
There’s something deeply satisfying about sharing on Google+, then watching the activity unfold. Comments pour in, notifications light up, friends share with friends (who share with their friends), and in no time at all there’s an entire community around your post. We want to help people re-live those conversations—both to rekindle that initial excitement, and to learn how posts flow across the network. That’s why we’re launching Google+ Ripples: a visualization tool for public shares and comments.

Google+ Creative Kit: have more fun with your photos
Nothing tells a story like the perfect picture, so it’s only natural to want to make yours really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. Unfortunately, photo editing is too often a chore, requiring specialized software and lots of patience. We want to help everyone put their best photo forward, so today we’re introducing the Google+ Creative Kit, a fast and friendly way to make powerful edits to your photos.

… Google Apps customers can now use Google+
You’ve been asking for it. I’ve been talking about it. And today we’re excited to make Google+ available to all Google Apps customers worldwide. Visit the Google Enterprise Blog for more details.

There are videos on the blog post.

Ripples looks awesome. Imagine how deeply satisfying it would be to see something you wrote or uploaded shared around the world like that...

the photo editing stuff is pretty cool too.

Fatalah

Fatalah said:
I'm glad Google is finally streamlining social features across their websites.

Google Reader, however, is still a mess. Check out the options found at the bottom of every RSS article:

9ukkT.png

Star, Like, Share. None report to Google+!

Getting the Google Reader userbase to use Google+ would be huge.

I just received the Google Reader update! It's great! Google+ is integrated exactly how I envisioned months ago, as quoted above.

Google+ should be prepared for a tidal wave of +1's and shared articles. Google Reader users are serious business!

Details & screens here.

greader_640a.png

kehs

Banned
Fatalah said:
I just received the Google Reader update! It's great! Google+ is integrated exactly how I envisioned months ago, as quoted above.

Google+ should be prepared for a tidal wave of +1's and shared articles. Google Reader users are serious business!

Details & screens here.

greader_640a.png

I'm reading about Sharebros.

Why am I reading about Sharebros?

I still don't know what Sharebros are.

Sharebros.

survivor

Banned
New Reader looks cool. I still find the top bar that includes the Subscription button to be taking a lot of space. Same problem with their Docs layout as well.

adroit

New Reader == insane amount of white space (just like the new Google Docs). If Google wants to make a new interface for touchscreen users, that's fine. But they shouldn't force that interface on notebook and desktop users.

adroit said:
New Reader == insane amount of white space (just like the new Google Docs). If Google wants to make a new interface for touchscreen users, that's fine. But they shouldn't force that interface on notebook and desktop users.

Why don't you just zoom out on the page? As for the white space, I prefer it hugely to the previous clutter which was information overload. It has little to do with touch screens and all to do with unified, user friendly UI with a cleaner design to make it easier to locate information.

And like everyone says the chat/voice platforms need to be integrated stat.

adroit

OriginalThinking said:
Why don't you just zoom out on the page?
Smaller fonts? No thanks. I want less white space, not smaller fonts.

And, yes, it has everything to do with touchscreens. Look at the INSANE amount of white space in the drop-down menus (like View Settings). What's that for? Touchscreens. That's understandable for touch screens but completely ludicrous for notebooks and desktops.

eznark

Banned
adroit said:

I think it's fantastic.

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
youtube integration as well...

what world do i live in that google is integrating. Whats going on?

This:

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/03/google-plus-is-not-a-social-network/

Shared on G+ by no other than Tom (from MySpace).

Simply put, right now you have separate profiles and logins for Blogger, Reader, YouTube and Gmail. That will soon end, to be replaced with a single account and a single login.

The multiple logins are complicated and can be confusing, and the only real reason for the disparity is because Google has evolved over the past 10 years as a many-limbed beast without a head.

Pretty much Google+ is that "head".

Goldrush

Do Google posts future features and fixes anywhere? My biggest complaint right now is that tagging is completely broken from desktop picasa to picasa web album to google+.

gcubed

Goldrush said:
Do Google posts future features and fixes anywhere? My biggest complaint right now is that tagging is completely broken from desktop picasa to picasa web album to google+.

Picasa is in the pipeline for an overhaul, no idea on when though

I have an annoying situation in which my ISP provided me with a google apps based webmail account, I signed up for that on YouTube, and then my Android phone made me sign up for a gmail account, and I signed up for Google+ with that. It would be really valuable to me if I could associate multiple accounts or Gapps accounts with my prime Google account. I know they do the multiple-sign-in thing, but currently (as far as I know) that isn't working properly with Youtube etc.

Hopefully the next Picasa update has really nice Google+ integration.

I exported all of my Facebook images using a third party Facebook app when I first joined Google+, and it actually retained the tagging information when I imported them into Picasa... if I could retroactively tell Picasa which 'people' tags belong to which of my Google+ friends, that would be amazing.

flyover

gcubed said:
Picasa is in the pipeline for an overhaul, no idea on when though

I just finished the Steve Jobs bio, and there was a bit about Google near the end, where Larry Page asked Jobs for some advice after taking over as Google CEO earlier this year.

Jobs told Page to stop trying to spin out a ton of projects and to focus on about five, because only those five will wind up being successful and making any money.

I wouldn't be surprised if that philosophy has played some role in Google's strategy of integrating apps. And I also think that means some other projects, like Picasa, will be mostly abandoned -- or left to individual devs (or very small teams) in Google to update and maintain, when they're not working on something higher priority.

I wonder if Google's days of "throw as many shipped applications as possible at the wall and see what sticks" are coming to a close.

gcubed

flyover said:
I just finished the Steve Jobs bio, and there was a bit about Google near the end, where Larry Page asked Jobs for some advice after taking over as Google CEO earlier this year.

Jobs told Page to stop trying to spin out a ton of projects and to focus on about five, because only those five will wind up being successful and making any money.

I wouldn't be surprised if that philosophy has played some role in Google's strategy of integrating apps. And I also think that means some other projects, like Picasa, will be mostly abandoned -- or left to individual devs (or very small teams) in Google to update and maintain, when they're not working on something higher priority.

I wonder if Google's days of "throw as many shipped applications as possible at the wall and see what sticks" are coming to a close.

it already is, they've been talking about it for about a month or two now. They've been shutting down all kinds of projects as well. Picasa is supposed to merge into Google Photos, but what that means for the functionality, we shall see

flyover

gcubed said:
it already is, they've been talking about it for about a month or two now. They've been shutting down all kinds of projects as well. Picasa is supposed to merge into Google Photos, but what that means for the functionality, we shall see

Interesting. Thanks for the info! Now they just have beware that they don't become Microsoft -- where nothing gets shipped and everything's canned mid-development.

I think Google's still nimble enough -- and long-term focused enough -- to do so.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think as they were growing they bought a lot of small projects and companies. Now they are focusing the whole experience and combining a lot of duplicative services and apps. Buzz, Google+ or Voice, Chat, Messenger all those can become just one single service.

kehs

Banned
ruh roh

The Google +1 Chrome extension sends an RPC event to Google for every page you visit, https or not.

I hate to be a downer on cool stuff like this, but I really don't think this is acceptable. It's even sending the querystring, which could potentially contain a secure session token. All of the communication to the Google servers happens over https, but I don't think that fact excuses this. https:// traffic needs to be off-limits for automatic tracking of URLs.
https://plus.google.com/115459243651688775505/posts/CDiwzBti5G9

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:
Jaja! Google is really screwing the pooch in the last couple of days. For every step forward, they take two back.

UPDATE (from comments below): "Hi all, G+ privacy guy here. I'm in touch with the engineers who developed the extension. We're looking into this and will have updates for you as soon as we can. Thanks for posting this."

"We really sorry we got caught "

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Meohsix

So is there a way to get rid of the "Whats Hot" section that they recently added to the top of the page?

because today when i logged on i was greeted with a picture of a dog about to bite some guys penis...

NSFW http://i.imgur.com/7mmDA.png
ಠ_ಠ

George said:
So is there a way to get rid of the "Whats Hot" section that they recently added to the top of the page?

because today when i logged on i was greeted with a picture of a dog about to bite some guys penis...

ಠ_ಠ

haha, it looks like he's also getting a hand right up his ass. Yeah... not sure what you can do about that. 329 +1's, 103 comments, 416 shares. Is there a report as inappropriate type thing in G+?

SimleuqiR

radioheadrule83 said:
haha, it looks like he's also getting a hand right up his ass. Yeah... not sure what you can do about that. 329 +1's, 103 comments, 416 shares. Is there a report as inappropriate type thing in G+?

Yes.

kehs

Banned
George said:

ಠ_ಠ

You can Collapse the what's hot section (there's a grey bar with "collapse" on the right side after the post). I'd also probably report that too, if you wanted.

kehs

Banned
I was looking through my apps domain, and interestingly picasa web albums are now dependent on google+ being deactived first.

eznark

Banned
Have you been able to share circles for awhile or is that a new thing? Google is sharing a circle that includes FOX News. I assume GAF will now boycott Google.

#occupyplus

Top Bottom