• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google rolling out new Maps app update for Android phones/tablets today

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Dislike how there is no longer a Navigation app. Never used Maps. And in navigation, it doesn't look like I can choose route options? (avoid tolls, alternate route, etc.)

Search for an address and hit the tab on the bottom right (car/train/walking/bike). Card will slide up and you have Route Options under the destination address.

Dislike how there is no longer a Navigation app. Never used Maps. And in navigation, it doesn't look like I can choose route options? (avoid tolls, alternate route, etc.)

there never was a navigation app. it was just one app with two different shortcuts that jump to different screens in the app.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are Maps and Navigation merged yet? Seriously Google.

They've always been one and the same I believe (except visually - Navigation has always looked like pre-Holo crap), the two icons are just different entry points to the same app.

They've always been one and the same I believe (except visually - Navigation has always looked like pre-Holo crap), the two icons are just different entry points to the same app.

Were they? If I hit navigation from maps it acts like it's launches a different program with a google navigation splash screen and everything... If it's the same app they go out of their way to make it feel like it isn't.

They still havent changed how to turn on gps when it's off?

They make you go to the settings, checkmark it and then return to the app. They really can't do that in app? I would honestly be confused if I was my mother using this.

Also the new app is a little laggy, and the graphics look a bit worse than before. Or maybe it's just me.

ajpw

to all the people saying hurr durr download the apk apparently theres differing versions for different hardware, best to wait for it to be pushed to your phone

to all the people saying hurr durr download the apk apparently theres differing versions for different hardware, best to wait for it to be pushed to your phone
Staged rollouts suck though, I've seen them update an app and those of us here at work with identical phones got it at different times. Would love to be able to override that on a per-update basis at least.

yyzjohn

Banned
So you can only go to one location and then not get directions back? That seems pretty limiting.

Well you can as long as you hookup to a wifi before heading back. It's as simple as tethering to your phone for a few seconds to start the route or connecting to a free wifi at starbucks or something.

Mudkips

Banned
Why in the fuck would the kill off latitude and map caching?
Fucking terrible.

Someone please point me to a latitude replacement app and website equivalent to latitude.google.com .

Well you can as long as you hookup to a wifi before heading back. It's as simple as tethering to your phone for a few seconds to start the route or connecting to a free wifi at starbucks or something.

In Hawaii, it's not so easy to find free and open WiFi. By default, without jailbreaking, I couldn't tether my iPhone either. Offline maps is just too damn limiting.

Mudkips

Banned

That's nothing like latitude.google.com . I need a live view of my friends's locations drawn on top of a map, with the ability to control how I share my location to each friend (exact location, general location, or not shared).

And I would like the ability to navigate to any of my friends (you can do this on the mobile version of Google Maps when you've got the Latitude layer on).

Why in the fuck would the kill off latitude and map caching?
Fucking terrible.

Someone please point me to a latitude replacement app and website equivalent to latitude.google.com .

Google's killing off stuff that isn't tied to Google+ and replacing it with stuff that is.

Mudkips

Banned
Google's killing off stuff that isn't tied to Google+ and replacing it with stuff that is.

So where's the replacement? How do I do the stuff above in Google+?
Keep in mind that for my purposes the view has to be live. None of this "Ping for check in" shit. And I need the ability to control location information per friend.

And dragging people kicking and screaming to use Google + doesn't explain the removal of the ability to cache maps.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cached maps were "removed" (actually they're still in the app with an easter egg) because they couldn't finish the UI for them in time.

Although, the idea that it's some giant conspiracy by Google to get people on G+ is also definitely valid.
e5YuU.gif

Mudkips

Banned
Cached maps were "removed" (actually they're still in the app with an easter egg) because they couldn't finish the UI for them in time.

Although, the idea that it's some giant conspiracy by Google to get people on G+ is also definitely valid.
e5YuU.gif

Menu > Settings > Offine and cache ? Why does there need to be a UI for it?

RuGalz

Ugh, without the ability to launch navigation view without a destination, I can no longer use the app like a car's navigation system. Smh, these guys need to actually use their own app more regularly.

Damn they took away offline maps?

I'm not an android user but I would be pissed. They just added that feature recently. Seemed like it was a good edition to compensate for wifi only devices. That's a shame.
their offline maps support sucked anyway, way better off getting NavFree or another free offline mapping app.

what upsets me is latitude getting killed off...

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm still waiting for my iPad Google maps... Oh and my google all access iOS app that was coming out in "weeks" almost 2 months ago.

So where's the replacement? How do I do the stuff above in Google+?
Keep in mind that for my purposes the view has to be live. None of this "Ping for check in" shit. And I need the ability to control location information per friend.

And dragging people kicking and screaming to use Google + doesn't explain the removal of the ability to cache maps.

well, you can do it in Google+ and per friend, but there's no fine control over exact vs general. it's either shared or not shared.

They still havent changed how to turn on gps when it's off?

They make you go to the settings, checkmark it and then return to the app. They really can't do that in app? I would honestly be confused if I was my mother using this.

Also the new app is a little laggy, and the graphics look a bit worse than before. Or maybe it's just me.

your mom wouldn't be confused, she would have GPS enabled all the time. it's only active when an app requests it, so leaving it enabled doesn't mean much.

Polari

Pleased they rolled this out after my holidays - offline maps was a godsend. For a bunch of smart guys, Google can be pretty fucking stupid. I don't care if it's coming back later on, it's a key feature and a major regression. Delay the release instead of half-assing it.

The other problem with the redesign is that Google (mostly) removed the option to save offline maps — a feature that was only a year old to begin with.

What in the flying fuck?

Also, my HOME google maps just changed??? All the roads are differently shaded.

RuGalz

I'm sure they took some notes with about 200k 1 or 2 star reviews on Play store by now.

Moving latitude or locations into G+ app is such a terrible idea, now you literally have to bounce between two apps to see where the other person is and give him/her guidance to specific place you have to look up in the map for him/her.

Removing navigation mode altogether is the stupidest thing ever. I often use it to give me guidance on the upcoming roads in less familiar areas like a regular car navigator. Now you can't launch that view without having a destination.

These people need to get out more and use the app like a normal person instead of changing things just because it looks prettier. Or if missing functions are in the pipeline, stop releasing half ass products. Keep fking up and Google may give MS windows of opportunity to actually become popular -- Nokia map works in offline mode is already a great advantage. (Yea I'm aware you could download other apps to make up for Google's incompetency. But what's stopping Google doing more stupid shit. I'm already losing a lot of confidence in them in the past year or so.)

Mudkips

Banned
well, you can do it in Google+ and per friend, but there's no fine control over exact vs general. it's either shared or not shared.

But that requires my friends to have Google+ on their phones.
That shit ain't gonna happen.

Beyond that, I can't get to a map screen with people on it on my PC. There's no "locations" page for plus.google.com . Local, which Andrex linked me to, doesn't have shit except fucking ads for places to stuff my face.

Removing navigation mode altogether is the stupidest thing ever. I often use it to give me guidance on the upcoming roads in less familiar areas like a regular car navigator. Now you can't launch that view without having a destination.

Are you fucking shitting me? I can't just see where I am on the live map view while I drive?

NotBacon

That's nothing like latitude.google.com . I need a live view of my friends's locations drawn on top of a map, with the ability to control how I share my location to each friend (exact location, general location, or not shared).

And I would like the ability to navigate to any of my friends (you can do this on the mobile version of Google Maps when you've got the Latitude layer on).

Wtf people do this?

But that requires my friends to have Google+ on their phones.
That shit ain't gonna happen.

Beyond that, I can't get to a map screen with people on it on my PC. There's no "locations" page for plus.google.com . Local, which Andrex linked me to, doesn't have shit except fucking ads for places to stuff my face.

Are you fucking shitting me? I can't just see where I am on the live map view while I drive?

that's on you... make it happen!

Wtf people do this?

yep, some people do it.

yyzjohn

Banned
Any reliable links to the 7.0.1 Maps apk? Still haven't gotten this pushed to my phone. Don't want to download a sketchy apk.

Mudkips

Banned
that's on you... make it happen!

I made it happen for all of one person only to find out that Google+ won't draw a map on her phone. She just gets the grey grid. Has to do with Google+ not being installed as a system app. No fix unless she roots her phone and forces it to be a system app.

Thanks again, Google.

3phemeral

I installed the APK but there are issues that I'm sure Google is aware of and the very reason why the updates are staggered. Certain apks have been found to only have a few subsets of specific screen-resolution assets. Plus, there are apparently different versions depending on what increment of Android you have. While I like the update, I've decided to wait for the market to update it for me to avoid any issues with incompatibility.

HKnightz

Is it just me, or is it now laggy when moving around the map? My note 2 hardly lagged with the old maps, but is always sluggish with the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom