• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google rolling out new Maps app update for Android phones/tablets today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staged rollouts suck though, I've seen them update an app and those of us here at work with identical phones got it at different times. Would love to be able to override that on a per-update basis at least.

I remember there was a way to tinker with the settings so you could get an Android update when you were supposed to get it instead of waiting for Google. Does that method apply here too?

Mindwipe

So the iOS app is stuck with the crappy Android offline cache arrangement.

And you still can't access your on device contacts. Grump.

3phemeral

Is it just me, or is it now laggy when moving around the map? My note 2 hardly lagged with the old maps, but is always sluggish with the new one.

Mine is the same when it zooms in. There's a built in "zoom and pause" feature that zooms into location, rotates slightly, then zooms in again. It'll repeat until it's at the maximum zoom level, but there is also a low-framerate quality to it too. I've attributed this to side-loading the APK, so maybe when I get the official release, it won't look so bad.

andthebeatgoeson

Why did they remove the bubble navigation button on the map? It takes extra steps to get into navigation mode.

And the Easter egg to save an offline map doesn't work for metro Atlanta. I was using it because my signal craps out at select spots.

Shambles

got mine a couple days ago. they keep making this less and less useful for traveling. I'm ready to pay for a competent offline map app. what's my best option?

RuGalz

got mine a couple days ago. they keep making this less and less useful for traveling. I'm ready to pay for a competent offline map app. what's my best option?

nav free (non US) and nav USA (same app diff region) is pretty decent. I use osmand sometimes but it's pretty slow. I'm really starting to use Google map less now for navigation. They did an excellent job.

turnbuckle

I really really don't like the new maps/navigation. For those saying it's always been the same app, the old navigation sure didn't feel the same to me. It was incredibly useful, intuitive, and never made me feel like I was fighting with the thing to get to my destination.

Zapages

I noticed something my GPS keeps on going to searching for GPS signal.. Then I turn it off, it starts to work. Oh well. I might even go get an iPhone if Google don't fix this up. I mean seriously this new Google Maps App sucks. :(

andthebeatgoeson

I noticed something my GPS keeps on going to searching for GPS signal.. Then I turn it off, it starts to work. Oh well. I might even go get an iPhone if Google don't fix this up. I mean seriously this new Google Maps App sucks. :(
Who likes this thing? Who should I blame? Is this what the ios app was like? Less functionality. It pisses me off. I got into android for the maps/navigation.

catmincer

I went back to the default installed version on my phone. The new navigation app is awful, it keeps giving directions in yards and miles. Also the new voice is hideous and cannot pronounce things properly.

Amagon

Search for an address and hit the tab on the bottom right (car/train/walking/bike). Card will slide up and you have Route Options under the destination address.
Just want to say thank you for pointing this out. Was pissed not being too find those options before.

I have another issue with the navigation if someone can aid me for a moment. I use the navi in portrait mode when driving but the map will be flipped the other way where it is hard to interpret which way I'm going or the map is upside down. Very annoying to say the least. Any fix for this.

RuGalz

Who likes this thing? Who should I blame? Is this what the ios app was like? Less functionality. It pisses me off. I got into android for the maps/navigation.

It's funny to think that some people were jelly that ios got interface update first.

I have another issue with the navigation if someone can aid me for a moment. I use the navi in portrait mode when driving but the map will be flipped the other way where it is hard to interpret which way I'm going or the map is upside down. Very annoying to say the least. Any fix for this.

try clear out the map data and/or calibrate compass

Typing in "OK maps" or"okay maps" brings up a hidden map caching feature... How not user friendly.

It also sucks for whatever reasons google has, most likely licensing, that I can't cache maps in Japan for times when I want to save my monthly data cap or go in the back woods for hikes where data transmissions can get spotty at best.

Other than those gripes it's not that bad. It took a little getting used to but I think I like it.

3phemeral

Typing in "OK maps" or"okay maps" brings up a hidden map caching feature... How not user friendly.

It also sucks for whatever reasons google has, most likely licensing, that I can't cache maps in Japan for times when I want to save my monthly data cap or go in the back woods for hikes where data transmissions can get spotty at best.

Other than those gripes it's not that bad. It took a little getting used to but I think I like it.

It doesn't really bring it up, it just activates the map-caching feature once typed. The good thing is that it doesn't seem to have a limit to how many maps you can cache, but the thing is that I'm not sure if it's just discarding older maps in favor for new ones, or if it;s actually caching every map I choose.

The other thing is that the maps you're allowed to cache are smaller than before but as i said previously, there doesn't seem to be a limit, even if it's a pain to activate.

Blackhead

Redarse
It does. Just change the transportation mode while selecting destination. Unless you mean turn by turn? (I've never used it for that purpose before.)

Yep, there was 'turn by turn' for transit. Told you when to get off the train and which transfers to take etc. There's simply no replacement for it :?

New navigation app is pure shit. It stops navigation whenever you do anything else on your phone and then when you try to pull it back it up freezes and force closes.

FroJay

Banned
Seems like almost everyone hates the new navigation/maps update for GPS. I agree, compared to the old version this is horrendous. If you have to do any type of route change or take a wrong turn the thing will be in re-routing mode forever. Google, you want me to buy an IPhone?

New navigation app is pure shit. It stops navigation whenever you do anything else on your phone and then when you try to pull it back it up freezes and force closes.
Never had this issue.

It has saved me time, though, by redirecting me to a different route due to crashes on the highway.

RuGalz

Seems like almost everyone hates the new navigation/maps update for GPS. I agree, compared to the old version this is horrendous. If you have to do any type of route change or take a wrong turn the thing will be in re-routing mode forever. Google, you want me to buy an IPhone?

Iphone got this update before Android... :p

Cake Boss

Banned
Can I choose not to update to this shit?

First they take out offline web pages and now offline maps? fuck off google. I love when my product gets more useless after each update.

Uninstalled the update. Google ruined the offline maps and starred/saved maps. Pretty absurd to update to a new version and remove useful features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom