• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

got another new gt4 vid

Gek54

just received this very good looking replay video of Gran Turismo 4. As great looking as always, too bad it's not that great ingame (still very nice, but the cars have a more plastic look to them)

WTF??

(cant dl torrent till I get home.)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Gek54 said:
I knew some people wouldn't like what I said there. Honestly I played an almost final build for a few hours and while I was *really* impressed by the replays, the game looks kinda weird ingame. The reflection maps work great when you see the cars from the top, but from the "in car view" the cars look a lot more like big lumps of plastic. It's difficult to explain but the cars seem to lose bit of the shine they have in replays. It really reminded me of how cars look in PGR2 (replays or ingame it was the same).
Or that's just maybe because I'm biased against PS2 ;)

Amir0x

Banned
Blimblim said:
I knew some people wouldn't like what I said there. Honestly I played an almost final build for a few hours and while I was *really* impressed by the replays, the game looks kinda weird ingame. The reflection maps work great when you see the cars from the top, but from the "in car view" the cars look a lot more like big lumps of plastic. It's difficult to explain but the cars seem to lose bit of the shine they have in replays. It really reminded me of how cars look in PGR2 (replays or ingame it was the same).
Or that's just maybe because I'm biased against PS2 ;)

:eek:

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Amir0x said:
Yeah, since my main site is xboxyde.com people assume I'm biased against everything that's not Xbox. Maybe I am, but I sure try not to be.
I know I really enjoyed this 3 hours I played GT4 with the logitech FF 900 wheel. The cars really seem to behave like they would in real life and the speed sensation was quite good (I mostly played on the Nurburgring with very fast prototypes so I don't know how it is with smaller cars). The engine sound also was very impressive.
The only negative thing I really found in the game was how the other cars looked ingame. They really seemed to be missing something, like if a render pass had been disabled. Maybe it was just that beta, but it looked perfect in replays.

Amir0x

Banned
Blimblim said:
Yeah, since my main site is xboxyde.com people assume I'm biased against everything that's not Xbox. Maybe I am, but I sure try not to be.
I know I really enjoyed this 3 hours I played GT4 with the logitech FF 900 wheel. The cars really seem to behave like they would in real life and the speed sensation was quite good (I mostly played on the Nurburgring with very fast prototypes so I don't know how it is with smaller cars). The engine sound also was very impressive.
The only negative thing I really found in the game was how the other cars looked ingame. They really seemed to be missing something, like if a render pass had been disabled. Maybe it was just that beta, but it looked perfect in replays.

Well, that's actually really cool that you admit that you might be biased about things. I'm probably biased about things too, but I'll never admit it! :lol

Anyhoo, it sounds like the game will be awesome. Tell me, are the cars more impressive than in GT3? Because if that's the case, then I personally won't have a problem with it because I thought the cars were absolutely beautiful in GT3.

maskrider

The file was encoded with Xvid 1.0.2 @ 1536Kbps 2 pass VBR video/MP3 128Kbps audio, some machines will have problem playing it with the MPEG-4 decoder of DivX or ffdshow.

Xvid 1.0.2 @ http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

BTW, the footage is from the DVD that come with the latest issue of weekly Famitsu.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Amir0x said:
Well, that's actually really cool that you admit that you might be biased about things. I'm probably biased about things too, but I'll never admit it! :lol

Anyhoo, it sounds like the game will be awesome. Tell me, are the cars more impressive than in GT3? Because if that's the case, then I personally won't have a problem with it because I thought the cars were absolutely beautiful in GT3.
I'd say the cars looked quite a bit better in replays, but ingame I really can't tell.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
SolidSnakex said:
Since you have the near final build, can you post the song list? :) I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I played it at a games show (private day so I could play any game as long as I wished, they had some very nice GT4 setups with good headphones and rather confortable seats so I spent most of my time there). I certainly did not care the slightest about music, I don't even remember having some music during the game so I guess it was disabled.

cobragt3

It's possible you can't see the reflections on the cars like you can in the replays. I mean, there are no enhancements in replays, b-spec has proven that. And did you do this; in the replay, did you put the camera view in the 3rd person view like the one used in gameplay? If so, did the reflections look better then? See, this is similar to gt3, like you can see heat haze in the broadcast angles but when you put the camera in 3rd person or incar you dont see how heat hazes

gt3
gameplay
GT3-Midfield-1.jpg

replay
GT3-Midfield-2.jpg

and one assumes this is the same for gt4.

cobragt3

http://world.altavista.com/babelfis...http://www.planete-gt.com/menu.php?page=mgs04
on that site, there are 2 vids at the bottom, bad quality ones but good nonetheless. I'm able to see reflections on the cars like I can in replays and no offense but I doubt you even played the demo long enough because I could tell you by looking at vids the cars look alot better than gt3's cars. It's all about the camera angle; in a replay put the camea in 3rd person and you'll see that it looks exactly like gameplay and nothing more. Quite abit better than gt3? I can't take what you said seriously at all. I mean, gt4's cars have reached a new height of photorealism compared to gt3's cars. Gt3's cars now looks so pixelited compared to gt4's and they look quite unrealistic. You say the physics were realistic, did you drive with the aid off? If not, you didn't see how realistic gt4 was.

I'm sorry for my zealous responses but I'm a big gt fan and I hate to see false things said about it. I also played the latest build of the game in mexico.

Blimblim said:
I played it at a games show (private day so I could play any game as long as I wished, they had some very nice GT4 setups with good headphones and rather confortable seats so I spent most of my time there). I certainly did not care the slightest about music, I don't even remember having some music during the game so I guess it was disabled.

Ahh ok. The games coming out soon so Sony should release the track list. I'm wanting "My Favorite Game" to be put on the GT soundtrack. Even if its not used as the intro song it should be in the game. By far the best song that's appeared in a GT game so far.

cobra, those vids look nice. Can't wait to drive the Paris course.

mr2mike

Banned
Geh. the guy that encoded that should pe prosecuted for using a video encoder without knowing WTF he was doing, and subsequently denied access to any video encoding-capable hardware.

maskrider

mr2mike said:
Geh. the guy that encoded that should pe prosecuted for using a video encoder without knowing WTF he was doing, and subsequently denied access to any video encoding-capable hardware.

Do you mean you want to accuse me ? I encoded the video (hosted by Blimblim) in Xvid 1.0.2. :D

ourumov

Mplayer (linux) runs it fine without sound in a P3 667...
The game looks awesome. The trees no longer look crappy :) Anyways I am under the impression that I won't notice the change in physics...the replays look like Gt3 replays phisics-wise...

mr2mike

Banned
Well then I do accuse you.

Granted I dont have the latest rig, but this is one of THE choppiest Xvid vids my machine has seen, even running in mplayer2 at high priority, that thing slowed down skipped frames, stopped, went and lost synch with it's audio...

I dont know how you did it, but congrats...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
mr2mike said:
Well then I do accuse you.

Granted I dont have the latest rig, but this is one of THE choppiest Xvid vids my machine has seen, even running in mplayer2 at high priority, that thing slowed down skipped frames, stopped, went and lost synch with it's audio...

I dont know how you did it, but congrats...
Just checked the video on both mplayer (linux athlon 1400) and media player classic (p4 2.6c) and the video is perfectly smooth on both.

mr2mike

Banned
well duh, your slowest machine packs twice the punch of mine.

Still, 0.7 GHz is fast enough for MPEG4 playback while just loading the CPU 60-70%. that video's not particularly high quality or high resolution, in fact it's rather dark and colorless, so there's no reason why it should run like that.

Of course you dont have to get all bent out of shape for me, of course I'm reencoding (and processing the image too) a good version for my own personal use.

Top Bottom