• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goyer pitching Sandman film to WB with Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSlek

This displeases me. I had hoped Sandman would not come to film or television. There's too much to condense for the medium.

Though....the war of words between Morpheus and Choronzon would be pretty awesome to see in live action with CGI.

Platy

Cuaron and Malick are the only two who could do justice to a Sandman film.

The Neil Gaiman Vertigo Comics era Sandman, to be specific.

Del Toro pratical effects can give some interesting looks to some of the creatures and sets ... but on a hugh budget tv series =(

pulga

Banned
who gives a shit about Dream

Delirium is where it's at

cherrystones.jpg

Raptor

Can't have Goyer named and not shit on MoS apparently :/

This Sandman Series according to the Wiki is way too big and have way too much going on to be made as a movie, maybe as a saga of 6 movies or something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
JGL is far too short to be Morpheus. Dream's actor needs to be 6' at the minimum. Dude towers over all the other Endless (except maybe Destiny) and his whole aesthetic revolves around being a looming silent menace.

Haly

Gaiman's probably too busy trying to drag American Gods TV out of development hell.

Or he's savvy enough to realize that this has little to no chance of going forward without his direct input due to fan backlash. Why bother trying to cirumvent this when your loyal legions of devoted fans will scare the execs into submission for you?

Platy

Gaiman's probably too busy trying to drag American Gods TV out of development hell.

Or he's savvy enough to realize that this has little to no chance of going forward without his direct input due to fan backlash. Why bother trying to cirumvent this when your loyal legions of devoted fans will scare the execs into submission for you?

He did said in an AMA recently that American Gods will happen but not on HBO

Haly

I saw the thread and I'll believe it once I see the pilot.

Jedi2016

who gives a shit about Dream

Delirium is where it's at

cherrystones.jpg
In a 2 hour movie we will get LUCK if we see Death, let alone Delirium =P
Actually, that story (Brief Lives) is the only one where we meet all seven of them within a single story. Also happens to be the first part of the series that I read, and remains my personal favorite.

I've always thought A Game of You would be a good "introduction" story, specifically because Dream is only a peripheral character. He's just too big to throw him in as the protagonist right off the bat, movie audiences wouldn't really understand who/what he is. Then from there you could move on to a more Dream-centric story like Season of Mists or Brief Lives.

Anyway, as to the OP... what does Gaiman have to say about this? He still maintains the rights, if I'm not mistaken, and he's sworn that it'll never happen unless it's done right, and he has final say on that, not DC.

I've always thought it would do better as a series, or at least an extended miniseries if you wanted to concentrate on just one story.

Haly

I assume they'd do Preludes and Nocturnes because it actually has a straightforward plot whereas most of the other stories are just Dream being Dream and Gaiman being trippy.

It would end with the confrontation between Death and Dream and then the credits will roll.

100% on Rotten Tomatoes and every Oscar award.

Altazor

I don't want a movie. The story is so rich that a movie (or even a trilogy) wouldn't do the saga justice. It deserves -at least- a high-budget series with a couple of seasons.

And no, no Goyer please.

Ashok

Banned
Hey guys, I was thinking about getting into graphic novels this winter. Is Sandman worth picking up? And how does it compare to Watchmen? I haven't read either but both seem to be pretty highly regarded.

Haly

Hey guys, I was thinking about getting into graphic novels this winter. Is Sandman worth picking up? And how does it compare to Watchmen? I haven't read either but both seem to be pretty highly regarded.

Yes. They're both great works but they're great for wildly different reasons. Watchmen is a critique/deconstruction of superheroes, by far the most dominant genre in comics. Sandman is more concerned with pushing of the boundaries of comics as an art and storytelling form to its utmost extent.

Caveat: If you're looking to "get into graphic novels" by starting off with the masterpieces of the genre, you're going to have a rough time of it.

Why the fuck Goyer? He's talentless! Maybe they'll get Akiva Goldsman to produce and Joel Schumacher to direct - complete the trifecta.

Just stop. Sandman is not movie material.

This is stupid.

Sandman Mystery Theater would be a superior film. Sandman should be an epic series. What are you gonna do in two fucking hours with Sandman? SMT could actually fit with a two hour flick.

sandman_low.jpg

megamerican

Why do people hate Goyer? He wrote Dark City, the Blade series, the Nolan Batmans, and Man of Steel.

He seems like he would be perfect for this.

Haly

In the first story arc, Dream has to fight a demon in hell with prose.

This is as far from superhero flick as you can get.

Hmm. I'm okay with Goyer's involvement if he's just leveraging the MoS success to get this made. Hopefully Gaiman gets a pass at the script, and they get somebody competent behind the camera.

Why do people hate Goyer? He wrote Dark City, the Blade series, the Nolan Batmans, and Man of Steel.

It's not a superhero story. It's kind of hard to pin down what kind of story it really is, because it's many.

The ideal format for this is some kind of American Horror Story-esque anthology series

Jedi2016

Sandman already has a writer. His name's Neil Gaiman. Yes, he writes movies, too. Zero excuse for going with anyone else.

Sandman already has a writer. His name's Neil Gaiman. Yes, he writes movies, too. Zero excuse for going with anyone else.

Unless Gaiman doesn't want to do it himself? He's been vocal for over a decade now about how he'd like to see Sandman on the big screen as long as the material's good. He's not so obsessive about it that he feels the need to be involved every step of the way.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Watchmen is about superheroes (among other things). Sandman is about stories and dreams and how they shape reality (among other things).

Hmm, not sure. TV series would probably be better, but if they're going to make a film they better be making it a trilogy, so much story to fit in.

I'm thinking Tom Hiddleston for Morpheus?

Haly

Hmm, not sure. TV series would probably be better, but if they're going to make a film they better be making it a trilogy, so much story to fit in.

I'm thinking Tom Hiddleston for Morpheus?
Lol. I'd like to see the ensuing mindfuck when Loki appears with Hiddleston as Morpheus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom