• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto Advance Info

GTA TO HIJACK GBA IN OCTOBER

Rockstar confirms October 22 release date for the handheld Grand Theft Auto game

17:21 After much rumour-mongering, Rockstar finally confirmed to us today that the GBA incarnation of epic crime fest Grand Theft Auto will release in Europe on October 22 - the same day as the PS2 launch of San Andreas.

Sadly, the publisher was unable to reveal any details on the game, other than the already known fact it will utilise a similar top-down view to the ones featured in the early PC games. There is also speculation on the 'Net that it will not be a remake of the 1997 original, although Rockstar refused to confirm this either way.

Rockstar is expecting to make an official announcement soon, so expect a wealth of details then.

Source: C & VG.com

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I think they should just hold off and release a DS version instead.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Defensor said:
But you will be able to play this on a DS...

Right, but an actual made for DS version could be a lot more promising. Obviously, the GBA has a larger user base, but I don't see people demanding a GBA version of GTA be released anyway.

snapty00

Banned
It might as well be on DS. At least they can make it into some mangled form of 3D then. I just don't think there's much of a demand for a 2D Grand Theft Auto game. Going 3D was the best thing that happened to that series.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Lyte Edge said:
Obviously, the GBA has a larger user base, but I don't see people demanding a GBA version of GTA be released anyway.
People used to be extremely vocal about wanting GTA on the Game Boy Advance. Then it was announced, delayed, canned, announced, delayed, delayed, etc for a couple years. That blew a lot of the excitement and anticipation the project had.

Razoric

Banned
snapty00 said:
It might as well be on DS. At least they can make it into some mangled form of 3D then. I just don't think there's much of a demand for a 2D Grand Theft Auto game. Going 3D was the best thing that happened to that series.

Bingo... like someone else said, at least make an isometric version. I don't want to go back to the top down view.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LinesInTheSand said:
The top down versions of the games were superior in almost everyway.

Really? I don't think so. Like in the interview in GMR said, when the 3D was put in, the entire experience was much more inviting.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
top down versions werent superior to the PS2 3d versions in any way (except the hari krishna pedestrians) but they are far superior to any puesdo 3d P.O.S the GBA can handle, so i hope its proper 2d, sprite based characters and all, and looks nothing like Payback (or whatever its called).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Holy shit people quit the bitching UNTIL the game is released or until they've released some shots. I'm excited because I genuinly enjoyed the first two games and most likely (given the hardware) the game will be a complete clone of that gameplay style.

Anyone seen the Payback shots? http://gameboy.ign.com/objects/490/490465.html
Sure some might argue that the framerate will kill it or the game doesn't look enjoyable, blah blah blah. The point is that a GBA style game WITH a 3D perspective is certainly possible and can be made into a very enjoyable game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't care if the 2D or 3D incarnations were better, but I had just as much fun on the 2D versions as I did on the 3D versions. It's just that the 3D GTA's were longer and had more replayability. I still wished they kept the gang system from GTA2 into the new ones...and the announcer! GOURANGA!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well the PC version came out first, and didn't the 2D console GTAs sucked because of the controls?

Pimpbaa

The old ones were average at best. There is no bloody way in hell they were superior. The only thing even remotely superior about the old ones was the gang system the 2nd one, that's it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Pimpbaa said:
The old ones were average at best. There is no bloody way in hell they were superior. The only thing even remotely superior about the old ones was the gang system the 2nd one, that's it.
I disagree. :)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
if the gouranga isn't back then this version is bastardized :) Why they eliminated one of GTA's signiture catchphrases from 3 and Vice City was just a shame.....

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Can't remember about 2, but #1 for PC had multiplayer. Hacked versions in 3 and Vice City don't count. There is a plus :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah, I dont see how the 2D ones are better. I'd like to see someone back that claim. But they were pretty damn fun back when they came out.

I wish San Andreas would include the first GTA as a bonus since the game is free, afterall

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
LinesInTheSand said:
The top down versions of the games were superior in almost everyway.

Controls must not be part of the word everyway then.

Top Bottom