• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Too much fun and you get kicked to bad sport...
I agree that blowing up cars shouldn't be bad sportsmanship. I never cared for just cause (my pcs too weak for most games) 100 players sounds like madness I wouldn't play if there was 100 players. I can't watch videos im on my phone at work.

I like the variety of things to do in gtao the races, gang attacks, crates, robberies, looking for expensive cars to sell, finding cars for simeon. That's not including proper races, tdm, Lts, survival. I also like leveling up, I'm weird I know, but i like how it slowly rolls out new stuff for ya. I'm not into the whole hunting killing in gta (although I do indulge occasionally), I wouldn't have a fun time if people were able to grab an rpg right off the plane and shoot down a chopper, they should earn that right just like real life.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
That Slipstream bullshit during races is starting to piss me off

I'm unsure I fully understand what slip streaming does. I spend the vast majority of my online time doing races because that is what I have the most fun with. Would you mind explaining to me what it does and why it pisses you off?

On a side note has it quit raining in the cloud yet? Is it safe for me to play without losing all the progress I put in tonight? (PS3)

Slipstream = drafting. You get a speed boost for drafting off the driver infront of you.

Man neogaf has been acting goofy for me on mobile devices. Is anyone experiencing problems? Should i contact someone or wait for it to be sorted out?

uberluigi

Banned
I'm unsure I fully understand what slip streaming does. I spend the vast majority of my online time doing races because that is what I have the most fun with. Would you mind explaining to me what it does and why it pisses you off?

On a side note has it quit raining in the cloud yet? Is it safe for me to play without losing all the progress I put in tonight? (PS3)
That extra boost of speed your car gets out of no where. Pisses me off cause everytime I'm in first or second another guy magically passes me when I was way ahead of them.

DietRob

Slipstream = drafting. You get a speed boost for drafting off the driver infront of you.

Ah, gotcha. I figured as much. That's when those bluish lines show up when you are behind another player. I guess I don't understand why that would anger someone I find that I rarely ever benefit from doing it but maybe I'm just not good enough at it.

DietRob

That extra boost of speed your car gets out of no where. Pisses me off cause everytime I'm in first or second another guy magically passes me when I was way ahead of them.

Is it on races where "Catchup" is also on, because that I agree is total bullshit and shouldn't be default.

Imm0rt4l

I agree that blowing up cars shouldn't be bad sportsmanship. I never cared for just cause (my pcs too weak for most games) 100 players sounds like madness I wouldn't play if there was 100 players. I can't watch videos im on my phone at work.

I like the variety of things to do in gtao the races, gang attacks, crates, robberies, looking for expensive cars to sell, finding cars for simeon. That's not including proper races, tdm, Lts, survival. I also like leveling up, I'm weird I know, but i like how it slowly rolls out new stuff for ya. I'm not into the whole hunting killing in gta (although I do indulge occasionally), I wouldn't have a fun time if people were able to grab an rpg right off the plane and shoot down a chopper, they should earn that right just like real life.

I strongly disagree. This would be incredibly annoying. Why bother shooting people when you can just blow their cars up. People with more money could just go around blowing shit up with impunity. Fuck that noise.

uberluigi

Banned
Is it on races where "Catchup" is also on, because that I agree is total bullshit and shouldn't be default.
Too be honest not sure if its slipstream or catch up but I hate how they get the extra boost right when I'm about to cross the finish line and they pass me winning the race, no bueno.

I strongly disagree. This would be incredibly annoying. Why bother shooting people when you can just blow them up. People with more money could just go around spending money and blowing shit up with impunity. Fuck that noise.
Yeah I dunno its just weird, like "yeah sure, it's ok to repeatedly murder someone multiple times. But DON'T you DARE kill their car...unless its one they stole!" Half the time I don't know if its their personal car or not.

How about if you blow up someone else's car you pay twice the impound price? The driver gets their car for free like now (most the time), and insurance company gets the other half.

I have a story about my car being blown up. I was in a public free roam with my one gta friend, and we were doing our own things. I saw that he blew my car up, I honestly didn't care I was in a chopper. I asked him about it later, he said he didn't know it was my car it was parked in the middle of the road, he was using it to rob money trucks and parked it a lil too close and it got blown up. I dunno it was just funny to hear the story behind the "your car was destroyed" message.

Maddocks

that's why you don't blow up the car, you kill the driver, take the car. then pop all the tires, blow out the windows. smash it up with a baseball bat and leave it in a parking structure.

if they have it set so you cant drive it, then pop all the tires and run away. Took a guy 5 minutes to drive his tireless car to the customs to repair it.

Future

What horrible matchmaking. It's downright embarrassing. Got bored of free roam so was trying to join some survivals. Since I can't join a survival playlist like very other game on earth, all I can do is search for other people hosting, or host myself.

First host myself and wait for ages. Alright I'll join one

I auto join a couple. Host leaves both times. Join another. Wait for ages and host never starts the match. Manually leave and search again. This time I get kicked for some reason. Join another. Somehow get booted and start auto hosting a race instead

When survival did finally start, couldn't even get the Max players in and started with only one other. After 1 wave, he leaves.

Wtf is this shit. With all the people online how can it be difficult to join other players in these modes. It's cuz of these asinine ways of joining players together. How about simply grouping everyone together that wants to play survival and have them auto find each other, and then auto start when they do. Like every other mp game out there

Ploid 3.0

About you getting kicked, sometimes a group of friends want to only play with their friends, and sometimes they will tell you "Leave please!" hah. Even when I'm exiting before they tell me to leave I still feel like I should have left sooner although it was impossible for me to. They see you as you are joining but you don't see the room until you are joined. They may start complaining among themselves "who is this, why is he joining our lobby? What the crap!" They have time to kick you before you see the room good.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
that's why you don't blow up the car, you kill the driver, take the car. then pop all the tires, blow out the windows. smash it up with a baseball bat and leave it in a parking structure.

if they have it set so you cant drive it, then pop all the tires and run away. Took a guy 5 minutes to drive his tireless car to the customs to repair it.

Hahaha.. awesome.

Honestly, if someone did that to me, I'd just destroy my car and pay the insurance fee.

Ardenyal

Got my money and 3 levels back just now... now i'm missing the 100k i made earlier today haha.. well i'm gonna give R* the benefit of the doubt this time. Maybe it'll just appear out of nowhere.

I'd rather be able to just blow shit up with impunity because, well it's fun. Maybe make insurance costs cheaper, but get rid of the bad sport label for blowing up cars; I don't wanna exercise restraint while playing Grand Theft Auto of all games.

Edit: Meant to quote Immort4l

Gaz_RB

Slipstream is always on whether catchup is on or not. Catchup is a whole different thing altogether. It gives you speed boosts if you aren't in 1st place.

I've learned to not let people stay close behind me to avoid them slipstreaming past me. You've gotta either stay in front of them so they can't pass or drive left and right to avoid them getting a slipstream off you.
I strongly disagree. This would be incredibly annoying. Why bother shooting people when you can just blow their cars up. People with more money could just go around blowing shit up with impunity. Fuck that noise.

If it wasn't free mode, I'd agree with you. But it's not like free mode is a game mode in need of balance.

KAP151

Slipstream is the white trails you can see in the car ahead, it is completely different to catchup. Catchup is designed for people in last (or close to it) to have a chance of winning (meaning they get a artificial boost).

Unless your car is significantly better (custom vs standard), people will nearly always be able to catch you due to the stupid slipstream.

Omni

Got my money and 3 levels back just now... now i'm missing the 100k i made earlier today haha.. well i'm gonna give R* the benefit of the doubt this time. Maybe it'll just appear out of nowhere.
Yeah, same. I logged on today and my rank has come back.

Finally bought bullet proof tyres... Thank god I don't have to worry about jackasses shooting them out from this point on

Imm0rt4l

Slipstream is always on whether catchup is on or not. Catchup is a whole different thing altogether. It gives you speed boosts if you aren't in 1st place.

I've learned to not let people stay close behind me to avoid them slipstreaming past me. You've gotta either stay in front of them so they can't pass or drive left and right to avoid them getting a slipstream off you.

If it wasn't free mode, I'd agree with you. But it's not like free mode is a game mode in need of balance.

Yea it is, there are crates drops that need to be collected, cars that need to be retrieved, bounties and their is a tax for dying. Anyone can blow someones car up, as it stands you can sometimes blow people up and get away with it given that you don't abuse it. I've done it a handful of times and haven't been labeled a bad sport yet.

Yeah I dunno its just weird, like "yeah sure, it's ok to repeatedly murder someone multiple times. But DON'T you DARE kill their car...unless its one they stole!" Half the time I don't know if its their personal car or not.

How about if you blow up someone else's car you pay twice the impound price? The driver gets their car for free like now (most the time), and insurance company gets the other half.

I have a story about my car being blown up. I was in a public free roam with my one gta friend, and we were doing our own things. I saw that he blew my car up, I honestly didn't care I was in a chopper. I asked him about it later, he said he didn't know it was my car it was parked in the middle of the road, he was using it to rob money trucks and parked it a lil too close and it got blown up. I dunno it was just funny to hear the story behind the "your car was destroyed" message.

And if you don't mind spending an exorbitant amount of money to do this?

MYeager

Not digging the whole not letting me join games above my level thing. It was hard enough to find active missions/races to join already, but now I get invites, join and get kicked because of level restrictions? Getting restricted to the same couple of missions I've already done a bunch of times is boring.

Imm0rt4l

Not digging the whole not letting me join games above my level thing. It was hard enough to find active missions/races to join already, but now I get invites, join and get kicked because of level restrictions? Getting restricted to the same couple of missions I've already done a bunch of times is boring.

I still get people in my mission lobbies that are well below the mission requirement.

MYeager

I still get people in my mission lobbies that are well below the mission requirement.

I end up in the lobby, but for a couple of races I've been kicked when it launches with the message 'kicked (user does not meet level requirement)'. Maybe I'm being kicked by host and it's giving me a default message.

And if you don't mind spending an exorbitant amount of money to do this?
Then go for it. If you have enough money to throw $400 sticky bomb, or whatever an rpg costs and pay twice the ammount of car insurance to kill me then I say go for it. I'd feel better knowing that I can blow up a car to defend myself and will just be paying cash, as opposed to be afraid i'll be stuck in a session where ALL they do is blow up vehicles.

I get your point. I'd be pissed off if everyone just blew cars up all the time. I'm glad that there is a form of punishment, and I also think those players that do it ALOT should be in their own form of hellish chaos. But I blew up 3-4 personal cars once all I did was shoot at a bounty with a minigun I blew up his car it set off a chain reaction which blew up everyone else's cars. I wasn't being a bad sport I was playing the game (awesomely). Again, I get your point but something different should be done.

Related side question: what's the going rate for a sweet premium car's insurance?

Imm0rt4l

Then go for it. If you have enough money to throw $400 sticky bomb, or whatever an rpg costs and pay twice the ammount of car insurance to kill me then I say go for it. I'd feel better knowing that I can blow up a car to defend myself and will just be paying cash, as opposed to be afraid i'll be stuck in a session where ALL they do is blow up vehicles.

I get your point. I'd be pissed off if everyone just blew cars up all the time. I'm glad that there is a form of punishment, and I also think those players that do it ALOT should be in their own form of hellish chaos. But I blew up 3-4 personal cars once all I did was shoot at a bounty with a minigun I blew up his car it set off a chain reaction which blew up everyone else's cars. I wasn't being a bad sport I was playing the game (awesomely). Again, I get your point but something different should be done.

Related side question: what's the going rate for a sweet premium car's insurance?

This is what I don't understand. You don't want to be in a lobby where all people do is blow up vehicles, but without a penalty that's exactly what free mode would be...

I just blew up a guy's vehicle just a moment ago defending myself, I've done it plenty of times and haven't been put labeled a bad sport. It's a matter of simply not abusing it.

Future

This is what I don't understand. You don't want to be in a lobby where all people do is blow up vehicles, but without a penalty that's exactly what free mode would be...

I just blew up a guy's vehicle just a moment ago defending myself, I've done it plenty of times and haven't been put labeled a bad sport. It's a matter of simply not abusing it.

Why not though. Would anyone care about their vehicles blowing up if they just respawned like the personal vehicles in sp?

breakfuss

Lol, thankfully I haven't been able to get on for the last few days. If I lose even another dime or level I'm done with this shit for good. Watching my blood pressure.

And mobileGAF is acting just as wonky.

I think most players wouldn't want to spend thousands on repairing other people cars? I think my stock fussilade (sp?) costs like $450 for insurance, so if you blew it up it'd be $900 penelty plus like I said the ammo to do it, and when I respawn I could kill you and you'd pay for hospital bill, it would add up. I'm sure the pimped out premium cars cost more than $500 to replace.

Imm0rt4l

I think most players wouldn't want to spend thousands on repairing other people cars? I think my stock fussilade (sp?) costs like $450 for insurance, so if you blew it up it'd be $900 penelty plus like I said the ammo to do it, and when I respawn I could kill you and you'd pay for hospital bill, it would add up. I'm sure the pimped out premium cars cost more than $500 to replace.

I also think players don't want to be in a lobby full of the less scrupulous players. Yourself included by your own admission. You can blow people up till your hearts content, just know doing so over and over will put you in a room full of players who will do the same to you. The system isn't perfect, but it makes sense why it's there.

Arcteryx

lol I still don't understand(well, I do
Rockstar R$ conspiracy
) why we have to re-buy stuff like wheels. I had X wheels on my car and bought Y wheels. Later on I decided I wanted X again...yay I get to pay $20,000 again.

I can understand stuff like paint/window tint/etc, but non-"permanent" upgrades? wtf...

Talk about bleeding you dry.

Future

I really don't understand why rockstar made it a pain to maintain your personal vehicle. It already warps to you and auto repairs during jobs (as it should). So why all this bullshit with insurance and shit. Without that, we wouldn't need to make car destroyers bad sports.

They could have balanced things a bit by not allowing grenade tosses while driving as well. Then you wouldn't have drive by blow ups making it a bit more difficult to do

c3t

Banned
Umm, the weirdest thing just happen to me. I decided that I might as well spend my 1.5 million on a tank cause I got tired of the stat delay bs. Guess what..... After playing for a bit, my Xbox froze. So I boot back up my game, and I get reimbursed my 1.5 million. I was like okay, but I decided to see if I had the tank anyways, and I STILL HAVE ACCESS TO IT! So I just got myself a 1.5 million dollar tank for free. I called Pegasus, and I can still have them deliver it to me. I rebooted my game a few times, and it is still there. Has this happen to anyone? I decided to buy an apartment, and I still have my 1.5 million... So I got 250k apartment, and a 1.5 million tank for free....

I also think players don't want to be in a lobby full of the less unscrupulous players. Yourself included by your own admission. You can blow people up till your hearts content, just know doing so over and over will put you in a room full of players who will do the same to you. The system isn't perfect, but it makes sense why it's there.

Well, I said inadvertently set off a chain reaction...I think it's a tad brazen make gameplay assumptions from one story. I'm a "good" player in good standing. I usually play like a skiddish antelope, and I've never been in the bad sport room. I'm honsetly a lil offended you label me "unscrupulous" just because of my opinion.

I think its a bum rap for players to be put in the bad sport room, and not be able to play with their friends because they blew up one too many cars.

You said you blow up cars in self defense, how would you feel if the next time you fired your game up you were forced into the bad boys/girls room?

Diebuster

Do you not get the full amount of cash for a mission if you're below the level requirement now? I did two level 50+ missions earlier (I'm level 26), but only got paid half even though it was my first time doing both.

I also think players don't want to be in a lobby full of the less unscrupulous players. Yourself included by your own admission. You can blow people up till your hearts content, just know doing so over and over will put you in a room full of players who will do the same to you. The system isn't perfect, but it makes sense why it's there.

More like punish you and dump you into a lobby that is sparsely populated and prevent you from even playing with your friends; and I don't think the "bad sport" lobbies are not sparsely populated because people would rather play in less hectic lobbies or with "less unscrupulous players" as you say, More likely it's because matchmaking and Rockstar actively discourages and/or punishes that type of behavior with the lack of options to even choose such a lobby by default, dunce caps, losing money, etc.

And the system doesn't make much sense. looking past my personal preference for blowing shit up, playing a game with one rule that's completely counter intuitive to what the rest of the game seemingly emphasizes (freedom and creative playing/approaches to situations) is unnatural and limiting. Rockstar gives you tanks, armed helicopters, c4, grenades, etc. Yet not only can you not use them to there full extent and create interesting scenarios with them(helicopter chases in the buzzard against a guy with a bounty for example), even using these items in a lobby can be a bad idea because they arent discretionary items and you risk blowing up other peoples property inadvertently; so players who have no ill intent get punished too. You can't even defend yourself properly against someone in their personal vehicle without the risk of accidently blowing their shit up, so instigators get a bit of a pass here if they're in their car.

I would ask Rockstar to label who is in their personal vehicles on the minimap and give people a chance exercise discretion selectively. It's not ideal for some who just want to fuck everyone and everything up, but it's a good compromise for people who want to play fair and still take advantage of the goodies at their disposal.

Ploid 3.0

It seem like it would be cool if there was a bad behavior server movement where on a day everyone get sent to bad behavior on purpose to have fun and to send a message to Rockstar that we just want to blow stuff up. It's their problem though, they want to make money off of this, screw all that organizing.

Codeblew

How far is Rockstar Social Club behind the game as far as stats go? It is saying I am level 50 with 80k but I am level 52 with 180k in game. My stats such as stealth are way off as well.

Ploid 3.0

No idea, but I transferred all of my money to my alt and it showed up on social club when I checked maybe 3 minutes later. Though that is probably because it's not additional stats added to my account, but rather shifting stats.

Ploid 3.0

Well, maybe I won't log out then. lol. I have rubberbands going on my controller right now.

Have you tried going to the cash store, that forces a character save. I think I did that before checking the site. Though it may be risky because you could probably freeze during the transition to the store (though I have never froze during that from what I can remember, only transitioning from other things like post job to free roam loading).

The thing about going to the cash store to trigger a save is that you aren't leaving online mode like going to single player to trigger a save.

This kinda makes me wonder if people could dupe money if trading was still available. Save before trading, give someone all your money then turn off the console. Who knows, maybe that what the people that give millions away to random people were doing.

Top Bottom