• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Lethal01

How are we feeling about UE5 Snake?

Screenshot_202406-96e03fa8f29e73298797.jpg

No issue with the model, but the entire remakes color scheme is ruined compared to the original.

I was ready for them to tune down the tint, but they just the entire look out and make it look like a generic Unreal engine kitbash, the soulless things we see 20 of every month.

GymWolf

Gold Member
No issue with the model, but the entire remakes color scheme is ruined compared to the original.

I was ready for them to tune down the tint, but they just the entire look out and make it look like a generic Unreal engine kitbash, the soulless things we see 20 of every month.
You think it should have more vibrant colors?

Not gonna lie it didn't disturbed me that much...maybe they are just going for a more realistic style.

I only watched the trailer once so maybe i missed something obvious...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dragon Age looks underwhelming but that could just be the level they chose to showcase.

They are using the Fifa hair tech even on random NPCs so thats kinda insane to see. No clipping whatsoever. Perfect hair physics. If i was making that game i would give everyone long hair and put that front and center in every cutscene.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dragon Age looks underwhelming but that could just be the level they chose to showcase.

They are using the Fifa hair tech even on random NPCs so thats kinda insane to see. No clipping whatsoever. Perfect hair physics. If i was making that game i would give everyone long hair and put that front and center in every cutscene.
Yeah i noticed the hairs immediately.

The ball is on gta6 court now.

Lethal01

You think it should have more vibrant colors?

Not gonna lie it didn't disturbed me that much...maybe they are just going for a more realistic style.

I only watched the trailer once so maybe i missed something obvious...

Vibrancy isn't the real issue it's more hue. the original had a really strong constant Yellow/green hue that I assumed would be tuned down and perhaps have more yellow tinted light/sunset added to make it more plausible.

but they seem to have just abandoned the look of the OG totally and go for bland, generic, "realism"

the original filter will reportedly be included in the game at launch
Slapping on a filter is generally not the same as building the entire game around a specific color scheme

slapping on a filter is easy

6kw0diQ.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How the fuck you can think that mgs3 looks last gen but south od midnight somehow was incredible? how???? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

MGS3 is literally a new coat of paint over a 3 gen old game. The animations etc all look exactly like the PS2 game. He dodge rolls into the ground and just stops on a dime, as an example.

The facial animations, the little we see of, when Snake is talking also look eh ..

GymWolf

Gold Member
MGS3 is literally a new coat of paint over a 3 gen old game. The animations etc all look exactly like the PS2 game. He dodge rolls into the ground and just stops on a dime, as an example.

The facial animations, the little we see of, when Snake is talking also look eh ..
Yeah of course the game has old mechanics etc, but the level of details is very acceptable and sure as hell not inferior to south of midnight.

SInce when we judge if a game is nextgen or not by the animations? both outlaws and shadows have pretty meh animations and some people call them nextgen...

And the animations in midnight were basic as fuck, did you saw the small combat snips? it looked basic as fuck and a lot of people doesn't like the stop motion shit, you can read around, it's not just me.

Like someone said, we don't have to confuse art style with actual graphic, midnight has a striking art style but it doesn't have better grraphic than mgs3 remake.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Vibrancy isn't the real issue it's more hue. the original had a really strong constant Yellow/green hue that I assumed would be tuned down and perhaps have more yellow tinted light/sunset added to make it more plausible.

but they seem to have just abandoned the look of the OG totally and go for bland, generic, "realism"

Slapping on a filter is generally not the same as building the entire game around a specific color scheme

slapping on a filter is easy

6kw0diQ.png
Ok, that make me realize that i'm not super anal about color graduation changes in my remakes, also i love realistic colors so...

Like i would be curious to see zero dawn remake with realistic colors...
But sure i understand your point.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah of course the game has old mechanics etc, but the level of details is very acceptable and sure as hell not inferior to south of midnight.

SInce when we judge if a game is nextgen or not by the animations? both outlaws and shadows have pretty meh animations and some people call them nextgen...

And the animations in midnight were basic as fuck, did you saw the small combat snips? it looked basic as fuck and a lot of people doesn't like the stop motion shit, you can read around, it's not just me.

Like someone said, we don't have to confuse art style with actual graphic, midnight has a striking art style but it doesn't have better grraphic than mgs3 remake.

If a game is trying to portray a realistic rendering style, animations go a long way. HB2 wouldn't look as good as it did if it wasn't animated as well. Imagine that fidelity running with Quantic Dreams animations, it would pull you out of the experience immediately.

South of Midnight is going for a completely different artistic and animation style altogether.

Edder1

It's like a lot of current gen games, a mixed bag that looks very impressive in some parts and not so much in others. Overall it's hard to judge graphics of this game as it's very stylised. Rift Apart is still the gold standard for stylised games this gen imo.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If a game is trying to portray a realistic rendering style, animations go a long way. HB2 wouldn't look as good as it did if it wasn't animated as well. Imagine that fidelity running with Quantic Dreams animations, it would pull you out of the experience immediately.

South of Midnight is going for a completely different artistic and animation style altogether.
Animations are not really worse than many other games, this is not a AAA big project, if slimy is right, this is a small studio effort and i don't think konami is wasting that much money, you have to adjust your expeactations.

Also, after the shitshow that twin snakes received for modernizing mgs1 other than the graphic, you think konami want to piss off old mgs fans? it's better to do a 1:1 remake that play the same with the same animations.

It's not only midnight that is going for a particular style, the remake is also going for a ps2 game style, this is not a fully modern game, just the graphic is.

And let me say it again, people were talking about shadows or hell even starfield looking nextgen, and those games have a lot of crappy animations, so why animations are so important when we judge the remake?

I really don't think midnight look any better than the remake from a graphical standpoint, and like i said, the animations are not even that great during gameplay.

Last edited:

Xtib81

It sucks that the AC trailer from yesterday is not in 4k because these two scenes look stunning in it. Great lighting in the forest area especially.

lwBhYr3.gif

hMqUeGg.gif
I love seeing those bamboos vanishing into thin air in the gameplay demo. What fucking year is it?
Both AC and Star wars look good overall but quite inconsistent.

Last edited:

Lethal01

How the fuck you can think that mgs3 looks last gen but south od midnight somehow was incredible? how???? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I think context is key. In a "realistic" game, seeing a flat wall/texture makes you go "where my tesselation" In a stylized game you can see the flatness is intentional and makes the object look exactly like a real-world stop-motion movie prop.

So it's a case where lower texture resolution and polygon densitity actually makes an object look more realistic. Lego games are in a similar position. So they only need to nail the lighting.

Also for MGS I think they mentioned there would be both classic and modern gameplay styles to choose from, but maybe that only affects camera and controls

Last edited:

Alex11

Underwhelming, you're being too nice, it's horrifying. From the color palette to art style to designs of demons. Dragon Age used to be this gritty dark fantasy world , now it looks like some tutti frutti soap opera.

Screenshot-18278.png

WTF is this, is that supposed to be a round aiming sights there? And never mind all the other stuff, I don't even ..., it pisses me so much.

Where did you get that?

Even if that was the case it don't mean anything as the outside areas are mainly filled with barren land and rocks. You gotta be out your mind to think they gonna build multiple massive levels with size and depth of Ghost of Tsushima, such a thing isn't feasible time wise and would not make any financial sense.
Ubisoft not small developers like sucker punch this game probably has 5 to 6 times man power than sucker punch, they even compare it to 3 zones from Odyssey pretty big

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think context is key. In a "realistic" game, seeing a flat wall/texture makes you go "where my tesselation" In a stylized game you can see the flatness is intentional and makes the object look exactly like a real-world stop-motion movie prop.

So it's a case where lower texture resolution and polygon densitity actually makes an object look more realistic. Lego games are in a similar position. So they only need to nail the lighting.

Also for MGS I think they mentioned there would be both classic and modern gameplay styles to choose from, but maybe that only affects camera and controls
I never watched any stop motion stuff similar to midnight (recently at least), i just noticed that the game has both flat textures and very detailed texture so to me it just comes out as uneven like most games out there.

Da fuq is Andrea Pirlo doing in a videogame?
Dude in the pic need to take some sleep pills before looking like pirlo, dude always look stoned as fuck.

Edder1

Ubisoft not small developers like sucker punch this game probably has 5 to 6 times man power than sucker punch, they even compare it to 3 zones from Odyssey pretty big
What you saying still doesn't make sense as you're basically saying this game has 5 worlds the size of Ghost of Tsushima. Not only would making game that size would take 8+ years even with Ubisoft sized teams, but it would be a financial suicide.

I think you should go watch what some previewers like ACG have to say, they're calling it open ended areas that are not close to the size of typical open world games. These YouTubers actually saw the game and its levels.

Edit: Creative Director of the game now commented that the game can be finished in standard 30 hours that it takes to finish a single open world game, which further proves that these are just big levels that all together equal the size and scope of single large open world game. (Source: VGC)

Last edited:

Lethal01

Well, you're right lmao. This pisses me off so much ffs. It shoulnd't be too hard to have 10 fucking bamboos staying on the ground for at least 30 seconds. ^^

The cost of physics in games are generally hard to predict. having too many at the same time may increase the performance cost exponentially.
If you want good physics in a game you generally gott make the physics system the main point of the game and build everything around it which is very restrictive to satisfy the few of us who want to see some bamboo lying there.

I never watched any stop motion stuff similar to midnight

bruh, like I said we need 20x more of this kinda of stylized stuff. just to be clear, that would still make realism the most common art style by far.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

I mean, it's not the best and Snake in MGSV/GZ looks much better still. The thing about this remake is that it looks much better than original game, obviusly, but the most important thing is wheter they udpated the gameplay and controls to the MGSV/GZ standards or not and it's kinda hard to tell after watching recent video with David and Okamura.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ, what the hell is this in 2024? It's like I've gone back in time to 2007-2008.

Vs5sBLY.jpeg

CaNbUq7.jpeg

p1sygd3.jpeg

And as if that's not bad enough, animations and movement are junky as hell along with facial animations. But worst part about it is that performance is shit on a 3080Ti with constant stutters and it should be with this level of visuals. I mean, not everyone can make Hellblade and Horizon, but damn, it's not 2007-2008 anymore.
It's by an indie dev.

It's not that wow current gen graphics but it's a clear step above cross gen assassin's creed title's

Game and world look incredible, imo. It will definitely be the best looking open world game(on console) when it releases. Naoe combat looks fluid at least. Yasuke still looks like shit. Not sure why anybody would want to play as Yasuke

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

This looks amazing .

It's not that wow current gen graphics but it's a clear step above cross gen assassin's creed title's

Meh. This doesn't look good at all to me. Maybe its the poor video quality. But... meh. Forbidden West still smokes this
Combat looks WAY better than Ghosts of Tshitcombat though.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

It's a pretty decent leap over Valhalla but i was expecting more. As always, their draw distance and vista tech is industry leading. no one does it better. Maybe Rockstar, but this tops rdr2 for sure.

The ground level detail isnt anything to write home about. The lighting is good and more or less accurate with proper shadows and AO but nothing amazing like Path traced Dragons Dogma. Asset quality isnt exactly next gen either but i did some decent looking bricks.

Ghost of Tsushima 2 is going to destroy this game visually.

Combat looks WAY better than Ghosts of Tshitcombat though.
Combat in Ghost of Tsushima is really good. This looks better but GoT had its own strengths.

Neo_game

Of all the game I have seen Black myth wukong is most impressive to me, Few more months to go so we will know for sure. I am pretty sure we have not seen console version so far and going by this trailer this game is timed exclusive on PS5.

So now we are gonna say the piss filter era was good? They used it because it was popular, not because they wanted a "feel" for it....every game had it at that time and it looked stupid. MGS 4 was even worse. MGS 5 was set mostly in a desert area and no piss filter and the game looks 10 times better. No thanks, they can keep their piss filter, I prefer actual beautiful vibrant fidelity.

Last edited:
Of all the game I have seen Black myth wukong is most impressive to me, Few more months to go so we will know for sure. I am pretty sure we have not seen console version so far and going by this trailer this game is timed exclusive on PS5.

Just looks a similar level to Dragons Dogma 2, nothing special.

It’s strange I used to find this game impressive looking but now I don’t see it
Because 3 years ago they first revealed it and it looked amazing then. But in these 3 years so many games came out and the graphics are being pushed so now when it finally releases after 4 years since the first gameplay trailer...it looks like any other game honestly. Its still good but not as impressive as it was 2020.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It’s strange I used to find this game impressive looking but now I don’t see it

Just looks a similar level to Dragons Dogma 2, nothing special.
Its still impressive because they are pretty much matching most Western Devs, and surpassing 99.9% of Japanese devs in terms of visual fidelity... on their very first game, with a somewhat low budget.

These Chinese devs are going to destroy everybody very soon, if they keep this up. I cant wait for the explosion of Chinese games.

Look what they did with EV cars, TV's, smart phones.. Very good products, delivered quickly, at low cost. Now imagine what they can do with games.

Lets hope US doesnt find some reason to ban them.

Last edited:
Its still impressive because they are pretty much matching most Western Devs, and surpassing 99.9% of Japanese devs in terms of visual fidelity... on their very first game, with a somewhat low budget.

These Chinese devs are going to destroy everybody very soon, if they keep this up. I cant wait for the explosion of Chinese games.

Look what they did with EV cars, TV's, smart phones.. Very good products, delivered quickly, at low cost. Now imagine what they can do with games.

Really? didn't know it had a low budget, also it's better graphically than DD2 although not by much IMO but given its a smaller budget game that's very impressive.

Because 3 years ago they first revealed it and it looked amazing then. But in these 3 years so many games came out and the graphics are being pushed so now when it finally releases after 4 years since the first gameplay trailer...it looks like any other game honestly. It’s still good but not as impressive as it was 2020.
I still think it looks pretty good don’t get me wrong. Particularly the fur on the big wolf - but yeah that’s probably what’s happened. I also thought in the first clips it had a lot more fluid sim stuff going on with smoke that’s not really there anymore from what I can tell.

It's too bad the Chinese government would stop any type of "explosion" of Chinese games. China government does not view gaming positively at all. They believe it poisons and restricts development of children

darthkarki

Underwhelming, you're being too nice, it's horrifying. From the color palette to art style to designs of demons. Dragon Age used to be this gritty dark fantasy world , now it looks like some tutti frutti soap opera.

Screenshot-18278.png

WTF is this, is that supposed to be a round aiming sights there? And never mind all the other stuff, I don't even ..., it pisses me so much.

Couldn't disagree harder. From what I've seen so far this honestly has some of my favorite visuals in quite a while. The color, contrast, and stylized character and environment design is just gorgeous.

It seems lately we've had a lot of impressive tech with mediocre art direction, along with some really nice art direction with mediocre tech. It's rare to get them both together, but I feel like Dragon Age really nails that. It really looks unique - you're not going to confuse this with The Witcher or any of the other generically realistic games. And for once it seems like they have some really strong tech to back it up. Assets for the most part look top-notch, and that hair! Oh my gosh. I seriously can't get over that.

Dragon Age used to be this gritty dark fantasy world

That was really only the first game though. 2 and Inquisition were both very stylized and continually less gritty. I do get that that continually shifting visual design is hard for fans though. I played a bit of the previous games but never got super into them so I don't have that attachment.

But seriously though, if you want a "gritty dark fantasy world", you've got... everything else. The Witcher, Baldur's Gate, every souls and soulslike game... Personally I'm super tired of that. It's overdone and boring. Give me a unique stylized design any day of the week.

Last edited:

miklonus

The animations are wonky as shit. Everything was great until the characters started moving within actual gameplay.
Edit - It's in 4k60, yet the characters move like they're in 30 frames per second. It's off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom