• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

way more

A shame it's not a hard R. I smell the work of suits getting in there and changing things. The ending was probably going to be all gritty and dark, Sike.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was really mixed on wanting to see this...But you guys are hyping it hard. I may need to see if my wife is interested in going out for movie night when this comes out.

mcfrank

I want to get tickets for opening day, but I have Dodgers play off tickets and I don't know the day or time of the game yet :( ultimate first world problem.

t-ramp

Aronofsky seems to be generally positive, but here's what he tweeted about Gravity:

bow now to @AlfonsoCuaron and #Gravity. in #awe of it. type of show we will all keep learning from for years to come.

I hope you guys don't expect the characterization and dialogue to be top-notch because sadly they're not. :(

Film is good otherwise though it's not my cup of tea. Too much focus on visuals and the experience to the point that it feels like a Universal Studios ride.

Blader

I hope you guys don't expect the characterization and dialogue to be top-notch because sadly they're not. :(

Film is good otherwise though it's not my cup of tea. Too much focus on visuals and the experience to the point that it feels like a Universal Studios ride.

What characterization? They're a couple of astronauts drifting in space.

My most anticipated movie for the last few years (Prometheus had highly anticipated before this but my anticipation for this dwarves that) and I'm apprehensive my expectations will be too high going in but, even still, I'm very much looking forward to this. Even though I was initially wary of Bullock the praise she's been receiving, in my very limited scanning of short, one-line impressions, has me confident that she was a suitable lead. I'm definitely going to be seeing it Day One.

Abdozer

To people who saw this, how necessary is the 3D? Due to me being blind in my right eye, I can't process 3D so it just looks like 2D to me :/

UberTag

I needed a full 30 minutes to decompress from my first viewing of Gravity.
In some ways I felt like an astronaut trying to reorient myself with the gravity of Earth after the roller coaster ride Cuaron takes you on.

I then proceeded to line up for 3+ hours to watch this film again less than one week later.

And will no doubt be back again for another ride next weekend.

My most anticipated movie for the last few years (Prometheus had highly anticipated before this but my anticipation for this dwarves that) and I'm apprehensive my expectations will be too high going in but, even still, I'm very much looking forward to this. Even though I was initially wary of Bullock the praise she's been receiving, in my very limited scanning of short, one-line impressions, has me confident that she was a suitable lead. I'm definitely going to be seeing it Day One.

Depends on what you're looking for out of the movie, but this exceeded all my expectations, and I had a ton because of Children of Men.

To people who saw this, how necessary is the 3D? Due to me being blind in my right eye, I can't process 3D so it just looks like 2D to me :/

It uses 3D quite a bit, but it's not a blatant 'THIS IS OBV 3D' kind of thing. You should be totally aces.

I needed a full 30 minutes to decompress from my first viewing of Gravity.
In some ways I felt like an astronaut trying to reorient myself with the gravity of Earth after the roller coaster ride Cuaron takes you on.

I then proceeded to line up for 3+ hours to watch this film again less than one week later.

And will no doubt be back again for another ride next weekend.

This was pretty much me too. It took me until I got home to really decompress.

...I didn't line up for 3+ hours the next time though, just half an hour (thanks Klout) :p

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh it's not out till November 8th in the UK. How delightful.

So I love some good hard science fiction and i've been curious about gravity for a bit, but seeing all this hype has me wondering, for the people who have seen it (or probably read more reviews than myself), is gravity simply a great movie or is it actually some giant achievement in film and science fiction.

UberTag

My only issue with the characterizations in this film is that Clooney was just playing Clooney. I doubt he was even acting.
I had no issues with Bullock at all. And I'm hardly a fan of hers.

UberTag

Clooney playing Clooney is pretty much key to his character and its function in story.
True... but then perhaps they should have cast someone else to play Clooney instead of casting Clooney to play Clooney because then we could say "Man, that actor does a really good Clooney. You'd almost swear it was him." Then, we could be impressed.

Believe it or not, it's really not Clooney playing Clooney so much as GRAVITY SPOILERS..kind of?
Clooney playing Robert Downey Jr., since the role was written for him and not Clooney. Clooney's just dat good

It's not on the level of Children of Men, but it's very, very good.

It's a MUST-SEE on the biggest screen possible. You'll feel like you're in space.

Awesome batch of BTS stills are here, some below (slight spoiler warning at the link):

tumblr_mtqqzpPgaz1qej1i6o3_500.jpg

tumblr_mtqqzpPgaz1qej1i6o4_500.jpg

tumblr_mtqqzpPgaz1qej1i6o7_500.jpg

It's not on the level of Children of Men, but it's very, very good.

It's a MUST-SEE on the biggest screen possible. You'll feel like you're in space.

I agree with the latter, unsure on former, I'd need to watch it a few more times.

But yeah. I get it wasn't shot in IMAX, yadda yadda. Doesn't matter BIG FUCKIN SCREEN

Got my IMAX 3D tickets for next week Saturday, pretty damn hyped for this. And the Melbourne IMAX theater apparently has the 3rd biggest screen in the world, so I'm going to space y'all!

Iceman

Cuaron. Original story. Completely reinventing the use of 3D in movies.

I don't understand any reluctance. There's this movie (Gravity) and then, several leagues down, there are the rest of the movies released this year.

Even an average director wont make a movie unless they have the right actors for the roles. What would make anyone think that Cuaron is taking a chance, rolling the dice, with Bullock?

Just saw this tonight--it's a beautiful, well-made film, but it lacks much substance. It TRIES to latch onto a theme, but it's mainly a 90 minute suspense/action film.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Very nice OT, I love the way you put it together.

I'm seeing this next Friday, 10/4 on IMAX screen. Looking extremely forward to it. I think I'll watch Apollo 13 and Sunshine this weekend to hold me over.

Solo

Just saw this tonight--it's a beautiful, well-made film, but it lacks much substance. It TRIES to latch onto a theme, but it's mainly a 90 minute suspense/action film.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. CoM is mainly a chase movie, after all.

Top Bottom