• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You guys missed out on Speed & Demolition Man? That sucks, those were amazing theater movies, Speed in particular.

So what's the consensus here? Apparently it's not shot natively in imax? Is it still worth trying to find a theater or should I just go to an imax 'lite' theater near me for this?

overcast

So what's the consensus here? Apparently it's not shot natively in imax? Is it still worth trying to find a theater or should I just go to an imax 'lite' theater near me for this?
Would like to know this too, I do have a liemax next to me.

Watched Children of Men again tonight, truly a masterpiece.

UberTag

Why all the Sandra Bullock hate? She's great IMO.
Hating on Bullock is the "cool" thing to do.
I'm still waiting for someone to call out a performance of hers that was bad in a movie that was actually worth watching. (Miss Congeniality was never worth watching.)

zeeaykay

I just got back from a screening. If you appreciate cinema, you have to see this movie. Absolutely awe inspiring. I can write more but don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

I'm less enthused by a Thursday screening now that I'm ushering a show at the school theater, but it's possible if my old man wills it. Waiting for your take, Sculli.

Yes. As I am. No one has really said a disparaging thing about imax or 3D

It wasn't shot in IMAX and as such will only take up 2/3rds of the IMAX screen. I still don't see the point in paying the extra cash for no reason and I'm a big IMAX enthusiast.

I would personally see this in a LieMAX or any other big-screen theatre with good 3D.

NomarTyme

It wasn't shot in IMAX and as such will only take up 2/3rds of the IMAX screen. I still don't see the point in paying the extra cash for no reason and I'm a big IMAX enthusiast.

I would personally see this in a LieMAX or any other big-screen theatre with good 3D.
cool.

Wag

Lucky me my local (real) IMAX actually charges less for a 3D movie than the multiplex across the street ($13.50 vs $15.50). So I'm actually better off seeing my 3D movies at the IMAX anyways.

3N16MA

Banned

Hardly any LieMax screen around here (however there is 3 true IMAX theaters) and the one that we do have charges the same as real IMAX. I guess they want to continue the illusion that it is a real IMAX screen.

Seen it twice so far. I'm there opening day.

PUT THIS INTO YOUR SPACE VEINS

I am literally waiting on baited breath to start hurling my thoughts out on this movie, but am waiting until release. Gawddamn.

I want to see this as well, but I am confused. Is she with Clooney floating thru space or is this Castaway in space?

Platy

Interesting article :

Is Alfonso Cuarón’s “Gravity” An Animated Film?

[...]
A perfect example of this new technology-driven, animation-heavy hybrid film is Alfonso Cuarón’s highly anticipated space movie Gravity, which opens this Friday. The film used previsualization to a larger extent than almost any other live-action film to date, and was animated once in its entirety before actors even entered the production.
[...]
Cuarón, on the other hand, openly discussed his film’s heavy use of animation in a Wired interview:

“We had to do the whole film as an animation first. We edited that animation, even with sound, just to make sure the timing worked with the sound effects and music. And once we were happy with it, we had to do the lighting in the animation as well. Then all that animation translated to actual camera moves and positions for the lighting and actors…We animated for two, maybe two and a half years before we started shooting the actors. Then we shot the film—and then the poor animators had to start from scratch because they had to base their final animations on what was shot. Someone suggested we just call Gravity animation, but I don’t think we can because there’s a fair amount of live action. And it was really hard work for the animators. After all, you learn how to draw based on two main elements: horizons and weight.”
[...]

Seeing this on the brand new IMAX screen installed in the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd on Thursday. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I love that my mom loves movies, my friends love movies, and I'm okay seeing films by themselves. I'm catching this Fri night with my mom and sis, and again with a buddy on Sat or Sun. I'll probably let it sink in for a bit, and then catch another showing in a few weeks.

I'm the biggest sucker there is for
long takes
, and I hear in this film, it's incredible.

Jimothy

Anyone know why Cuaron didn't shoot this in 1:85:1? It seems like he's going for a documentary aesthetic so shooting in 2:35:1 is kind of weird.

Imm0rt4l

Why all the Sandra Bullock hate? She's great IMO.

Anyway super excited for this movie.

Probably because she's an academy award winner who isn't really deserving of that kind of prestige.

I mean Blindside? really....

I like her just fine, but don't think she's a very good actress.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My most anticipated film of the year, easily. I was hoping to see it tomorrow but I'll have to postpone it to Friday/Saturday.

Just got back from an early screening. It was absolutely phenomenal. Everything about it was really good.

Did you see it in 3D? I'm sceptical of post-prod conversions versus films natively shot in 3D.

Top Bottom