• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Lantern: First Flight - new DC Animated direct-to-DVD film coming July 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
glmovie_sml.jpg
<-- Larger version HERE

http://www.warnervideo.com/greenlanternmovie/

Release Date
Tuesday, July 21 2009

Plot Synopsis
Green Lantern: First Flight finds Hal Jordan recruited to join the Green Lantern Corps and placed under the supervision of respected senior Lantern Sinestro. The earthling soon discovers his mentor is actually the central figure in a secret conspiracy that threatens the philosophies, traditions and hierarchy of the entire Green Lantern Corps. Hal must quickly hone his newfound powers and combat the treasonous Lanterns within the ranks to maintain order in the universe.

Voice Cast
Christopher Meloni as Hal Jordan
Victor Garber as Sinestro
Tricia Helfer as Boodikka
Michael Madsen as Kilowog

See the premiere trailer at Yahoo! Movies

Comic Book Resources - Official Press Release

Official Press Release

The fabric of intergalactic justice is threatened – until Hal Jordan arrives for his initial mission – in the animated Green Lantern: First Flight, the fifth entry in the popular DVD series of DC Universe Animated Original PG-13 Movies. A co-production of Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation, the illuminated hero’s first-ever full-length animated film is set for release by Warner Home Video on July 28, 2009. Green Lantern: First Flight will be available as a special edition 2-disc version on DVD and Blu-Ray™ Hi-Def for $29.98 (SRP) and $34.99 (SRP), respectively, as well as single disc DVD for $19.98 (SRP). Order due date for all versions is June 23, 2009.

More...
I had no idea this project was that far along, July's just five months away... :O That cover's a dead ringer for GL #1, btw.

Get your first glimpse of Green Lantern from the Wonder Woman animated feature releasing next week!

Viewt

Oh sweet, Alan Burnett. He was one of the big dudes on Batman TAS.

And hopefully this is just the start of a trilogy that extends to Sinestro Corps War and, eventually, Blackest Night. They'll have to cut and paste here and there to avoid Rebirth, but I think it's pretty doable.

I wonder which JLU episodes they'll use?

Hearts and Minds (the hour-long Despero episode) probably had the most Lantern action.

I've bought and enjoyed pretty well all of these animated Marvel or DC movies thus far, and this'll be no different.

Might as well pre-order Wonder Woman today while I'm at it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I really wish I weren't forced to pay for double-dips on Justice League episodes.

Ryck

MisterHero said:
BOOOOOOOOOOOO

HAL JORDAN

BOOOOOOOOOOOO
What? WHo would you prefer? Gardner? That Kyle pussy?

Well there's also Alan Scott and Jon Stewart... but Hal is the OG.

MisterHero

Ryck said:
What? WHo would you prefer? Gardner? That Kyle pussy?
Guy, John and Kyle are all better than Hal (Kyle is my favorite followed by Guy)

Rebirth was a means to taint all of them with Parallax so you can't say that Hal became an evil pussy

that said Blackest Night will be my favorite comic story this year

Ryck

G-Fex said:
Alan Scott is fucking awesome too.
Yeah, he wasn't included in my initial response. I edited and thought well maybe he meant him or Stewart ( who I also like)

Dead

well not really...yet
what the hell did they do to Abin Sur's character design :lol

Looks awesome though.

Dead said:
what the hell did they do to Abin Sur's character design :lol

Looks awesome though.
Abin Sur looked kind of weird, but other than that, holy shit! That looked awesome!
This is just speculation on my part, but from a design standpoint Abin Sur's original look is too similar to Sinestro. By making him less humanoid and more alien, he becomes more easily distinguishable to newcomers as a separate alien species.

Update time, check out the new DVD cover for the single-disc version...

new.jpg

...Aaaand, the new release date: July 28, 2009. Got pushed back a week; good thing I didn't put a specific date in the title this time. Unless, of course it slips into August.

More details can be found at the following links:

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=429

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=428

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21012

Also, just throwing this out there, the Wonder Woman animated film has sold 200k copies since its release, and is still tracking well at stores; usually, these things are very front-loaded so that bodes well for her long-term sales numbers.

I'll update the OP later tonight.

Sorry I haven't been keeping this as up-to-date as my Wonder Woman thread, but there doesn't seem to have been as much news about this one, especially since they already announced Public Enemies as its follow-up. Anyway, it looks like Green Lantern: First Flight makes its debut at the San Diego Comic Con on July 23, one week before its wide release.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21848

Official Press Release

Green Lantern: First Flight, the highly-anticipated fifth entry in the popular DVD series of DC Universe animated original PG-13 movies, will have its world premiere at Comic-Con in San Diego on Thursday, July 23, 2009.

More than 4,000 fans will have the opportunity to see Green Lantern: First Flight on the big screen five days before the latest DC Universe film is distributed on DVD and Blu-Ray™ Hi-Def. The film will premiere in the San Diego Convention Center’s Ballroom 20 at 8:00 p.m.

A panel comprised of filmmakers and voice cast will be presented on the following day, Friday, July 24. Details on that panel and its participants will be announced next week.

Acclaimed actor Christopher Meloni (Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) fills the lead voice of Hal Jordan aka Green Lantern. Meloni is joined by fellow Emmy
Award nominee Victor Garber (Milk, Titanic) as the villainous Sinestro, Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica) as the voice of Boodikka, and Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs) as Kilowog. The cast also includes Juliet Landau (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), John Larroquette (Night Court), Kurtwood Smith (That ‘70s Show), and David Lander (Laverne & Shirley).

Produced by animation legend Bruce Timm, Green Lantern: First Flight is helmed by heralded director Lauren Montgomery (Wonder Woman, Superman Doomsday) and scripted by four-time Emmy Award-winning writer Alan Burnett (The Batman).

Green Lantern: First Flight finds Hal Jordan recruited to join the Green Lantern Corps and placed under the supervision of respected senior Lantern Sinestro. The earthling soon discovers his mentor is actually the central figure in a secret conspiracy that threatens the philosophies, traditions and hierarchy of the entire Green Lantern Corps. Hal must quickly hone his newfound powers and combat the treasonous Lanterns within the ranks to maintain order in the universe.

A co-production of Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation, the illuminated hero’s first-ever full-length animated film is set for release by Warner Home Video on July 28, 2009. Green Lantern: First Flight will be available as a special edition 2-disc version on DVD and Blu-Ray™ Hi-Def, as well as single disc DVD.
gl-52.jpg

Kanjar-Ro.jpg

guardians-scared.jpg

kilowog-13.jpg

Tom_Cody

Spike Spiegel said:
Sorry I haven't been keeping this as up-to-date as my Wonder Woman thread, but there doesn't seem to have been as much news about this one, especially since they already announced Public Enemies as its follow-up. Anyway, it looks like Green Lantern: First Flight makes its debut at the San Diego Comic Con on July 23, one week before its wide release.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21848

gl-52.jpg
I've been watching Justice League Unlimited recently and I've become more interested in this. The latest talk of the live action movie has made me even more excited.

acidviper

Banned
The Blu-ray is pretty dope in terms of video, but the story is meh Training Day-lite and the JLU voice actors were much better.
Sinestro totally dominating the entire corps and the Guardians on OA was unexpected, the "Millenium Falcon punch it fix" on the green element was just lame. Otherwise quite surprised with the murders of main characters and the senseless violence. Like 1000 deaths
Hal isn't very heroic. He just does stuff and is either lucky/reckless/or is somehow better than the other Lanterns even though he is a rookie. And the green power at the end is a little too much
I know its the concentrated power of the green element but using 2 planets to smash the yellow lantern, c'mon that's the best you could come up with
And the ending is total cheese. Turned it off I saw that coming a mile away.

Penguin

It was a fun movie, I think Wonder Woman was better, but shall pick up when comes out.

I had different voices in mind as well.

Duderz

Banned
I just came back from seeing this at Comic-Con, and, without having any prior knowledge about Green Lantern besides several Alan Moore stories, I thought this was the most laughably bad movie I'd seen in a loooooong while.

Clip

So, this arrives on store shelves tomorrow, and the while the reviews I'm reading are varied the general response seems to be that this is a paint-by-numbers film that does just enough to get the job done and little else. Still, as a DC devotee I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom