• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Lantern: First Flight - new DC Animated direct-to-DVD film coming July 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
I kinda liked it. Lots of GLC members floating around in the background, some big impressive fight scenes.

I didn't finish it and say, "Wow, that's the best animated film, ever!" but I enjoyed it.

Spike Spiegel said:
FIRST TRAILER IS UP, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/12844529/

Also, new release date: July 21. It got moved up one week.
i keep geting the stupid alice in wonderland shit :lol so i looked it up on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUcsi66YxL4

ohh yeah and
untitled2.jpg

untitled-3.jpg

awesome :lol

Sanjuro

I watched this a couple weeks ago. It is the best of the new recent "films" coming out. However suffers from the same problem as many of them as they just tell a simple orgin story and really don't offer anything outstandingly fresh. I'm hoping the Superman/Batman film turns out great.

Holtz

It was a decent flick, very rushed and none of the characters in the GLC other than Sinestro get developed (yeah, Jordan is underdeveloped too), so you don't really
give a shit when they are dropping like flies
. Some great animation and good fights, though. And it's Green lantern, so it was good enough to see once. As far as these movies go, for me: WW>Gotham Knight>First Flight>Superman Doomsday.

Recon

Banned
I thought it wasnt very good. Especially after reading Geoff Johns recent run. And it just kind of bored me, which is dissapointing because i was soo hyped for this movie.Oh well.

critch

Banned
Pretty awesome, though completely shitting on comic continuity (Sinestro's arc is completely different). Ch'p is in it though, which counts for a lot.

Really got me pumped for the REAL movie in a couple years.

That was pretty disappointing. It was simply an uninteresting story that was peppered with some decent action scenes. None of the characters were developed except Sinestro and they needlessly changed the entire plot. Why? I would've understood any changes if it served the film for the better but that simply wasn't the case.

I thought it was okay. Personally I like the origin story for Hal in New Frontier better. I think Kyle's in S:TAS was alittle better as well. Anyway some questions:

Why didn't the Guardians just
make a second group of lanterns with the yellow element or just destroy it?
. Also,
"Where it comes from only the guardians know?" Really, come on - what a copout

Thinking of picking up Blackest Night now that the movie got my curious about the Green Lantern universe but pretty much failed to deliver anything new outside of what I saw in S:TAS and New Frontier. Can I just start with Blackest Night 0 - can I even get it still considering the DVD said it was free

ultron87

HamPster PamPster said:
I thought it was okay. Personally I like the origin story for Hal in New Frontier better. I think Kyle's in S:TAS was alittle better as well. Anyway some questions:

Why didn't the Guardians just
make a second group of lanterns with the yellow element or just destroy it?
. Also,
"Where it comes from only the guardians know?" Really, come on - what a copout

Thinking of picking up Blackest Night now that the movie got my curious about the Green Lantern universe but pretty much failed to deliver anything new outside of what I saw in S:TAS and New Frontier. Can I just start with Blackest Night 0 - can I even get it still considering the DVD said it was free

If you want the full impact of Blackest Night I would suggest starting with Green Lantern: Rebirth. It's where the current arc of GL began and sets up most of the themes that Blackest Night will (hopefully) explore.

orion434

I really need to get back into Green Lanter Comics... I haven't read an issue since Vol 4 # 6 or 7... I'm a little bitter toward Hal, I never liked him and when Kyle took over in Vol 3 # 51 that's when I started collecting. This debate will go on forever, I do like Kyle-Parallax, from my avatar, but I never actually read that story-arc.

During the 90's I always thought of a Corpse for every color, Green Lantern needed an Arc-nemesis, and now that it's basically here I've lost intrest in comic collecting.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I watched this a couple weeks ago. It is the best of the new recent "films" coming out. However suffers from the same problem as many of them as they just tell a simple orgin story and really don't offer anything outstandingly fresh. I'm hoping the Superman/Batman film turns out great.

How'd you get it so early?

RSLAEV

I watched this a couple days ago. I don't know anything about TGL but between this and the Hulk VS. video I'm amazed that all of a sudden more mature animation is getting released. After watching Hulk VS I said to my friends "Yeah this was bad ass, but it must have been a fluke-we probably won't see anything like this for another 5 or 10 years" I'm really glad I was wrong :) I'm glad someone in Hollywood has their head screwed on straight.

Now I have to go look for JLU box sets...

ultron87 said:
If you want the full impact of Blackest Night I would suggest starting with Green Lantern: Rebirth. It's where the current arc of GL began and sets up most of the themes that Blackest Night will (hopefully) explore.

Nah. That would mean spending $100 on Green Lantern comics. Plus, if you haven't read Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis, most of what's going on in Sinestro Corps War will seem kind of weird, and that's really the first time the war of the light gets mentioned.

Start with Secret Origin, then Rage of the Red Lanterns, then Agent Orange, then Blackest Night, and you'll have a cohesive story that'll make sense and doesn't have you spending ridiculous amounts of money.

Tokubetsu

RSLAEV said:
I watched this a couple days ago. I don't know anything about TGL but between this and the Hulk VS. video I'm amazed that all of a sudden more mature animation is getting released. After watching Hulk VS I said to my friends "Yeah this was bad ass, but it must have been a fluke-we probably won't see anything like this for another 5 or 10 years" I'm really glad I was wrong :) I'm glad someone in Hollywood has their head screwed on straight.

Now I have to go look for JLU box sets...

You pretty much summed up my thoughts. Really digging this whole resurgence of straight to dvd animation, even if it just comic based stuff. Can't wait for Planet Hulk (hoping thats around the same length as this as well). Maybe that new Spawn series will finally get off the ground too?

ultron87

LiveFromKyoto said:
Nah. That would mean spending $100 on Green Lantern comics. Plus, if you haven't read Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis, most of what's going on in Sinestro Corps War will seem kind of weird, and that's really the first time the war of the light gets mentioned.

Start with Secret Origin, then Rage of the Red Lanterns, then Agent Orange, then Blackest Night, and you'll have a cohesive story that'll make sense and doesn't have you spending ridiculous amounts of money.

I dunno if $100 is really an accurate figure. If you get Rebirth and the Sinestro Corps War stuff you are pretty much covered. And those stories are great enough on their own to warrant the price for them, along with setting up Blackest Night.

I don't think any of the Crises are really needed. If you just read the Wikipedia on the Anti-Monitor you are mostly set.

Personally I started with the two volumes of Sinestro Corps War, but after reading Rebirth it made way more sense.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I quite liked the film despite many shortcomings. I thought if they gave it another 45 minutes for character development and added some more quips of playful dialogue, it would have made a great live action film.

KingDirk

Watching this tomorrow after an exam. I've really loved the post-rebirth GL stuff, though I must admit I'm not too attached to Hal Jordan, more to the concept as a whole.

That being said, do we have any idea what DC's next plans are? I know there's the Batman/Superman dealio, but not much beyond that. My no-chance-in-hell dream would be an adaptation of Morrison's Doom Patrol run, especially if they went with Hewlett art (hey, he did a few pages and it looked great!). More realistically, I'd love to see a take on All-Star Superman or some of Johns' more recent GL arcs.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
KingDirk said:
Watching this tomorrow after an exam. I've really loved the post-rebirth GL stuff, though I must admit I'm not too attached to Hal Jordan, more to the concept as a whole.

That being said, do we have any idea what DC's next plans are? I know there's the Batman/Superman dealio, but not much beyond that. My no-chance-in-hell dream would be an adaptation of Morrison's Doom Patrol run, especially if they went with Hewlett art (hey, he did a few pages and it looked great!). More realistically, I'd love to see a take on All-Star Superman or some of Johns' more recent GL arcs.

I would love a Doom Patrol film but it will be a while before it got made. I am personally gunning for a JLI film but I know they wouldn't get the humor down right.

There was supposed to be a Justice League film that was based on TimmDiniverse JLU called Worlds Collide but I think it has been put on hold. I really hope that one comes out eventually though.

KingDirk

AlternativeUlster said:
I would love a Doom Patrol film but it will be a while before it got made. I am personally gunning for a JLI film but I know they wouldn't get the humor down right.

There was supposed to be a Justice League film that was based on TimmDiniverse JLU called Worlds Collide but I think it has been put on hold. I really hope that one comes out eventually though.

Oh man I'm not expecting Doom Patrol anytime soon at all. It's just pie-in-the-sky, y'know?

And man I really want more continuation of the DCAU.

TheFallen

I watched it the other night, actually found it quite underwhelming. Hal is an underdeveloped character that's for sure. It also seemed like it should have been epic, but when your climax is held in the middle of nowhere (in space), it's not going to be accomplished. All in all, I found Justice League: The New Frontier more enjoyable with its use of Hal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom