• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Kassivin: PSP > DS

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
kaching said:
That said, they could have at least supported standard size Pro sticks, instead of just the Duo size ones...I don't think there's any other difference in the spec other than physical size and the fact that Pro Duo sticks max out at 512 meg right now.

I think that they got worried about people using the Memory Stick for some bad purposes: UMD direct rips ;).

Thsi might be a good decision in the end as it might mean that they will allow controlled access to the PSP from the Memory Stick: imagine PSP Linux and homebrew software :).

neptunes

Thsi might be a good decision in the end as it might mean that they will allow controlled access to the PSP from the Memroy Stick: imagine PSP Linux and homebrew software

controlled access? eek!

you'd want that? (controlling what people could use on the md?)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:
... that Memstick sure is handy if your world revolves around Sony products. If not... but never fear. I'm sure it's incorporated into PS3. Let me chuck out my Toshiba Laptop and get myself a Sony Vaio with Memstick port. And my digital camera... and my ..... ....

you sound like a marketing brochure. You work for sony or did you get that off the official sony product guide?

You unmasked me: I am their defense minister.

You have not heard of Memory Stick peripherals like this one:

$19.99, it is USB 2.0 compatible and it reads and writes Memory Stick PRO modules.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=1051826316020&type=product&ref=03&loc=01

Next time do not throw away your laptop.

I think Memory Stick support will be found in PlayStation 3: they can make enough money off them and be competitive.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
neptunes said:
controlled access? eek!

you'd want that? (controlling what people could use on the md?)

Do you want arbitrary code execution ?

DRM will still be there for movies, videos and audio: you will upload what you want to upload probably with SonicStage 2.x/3.x which will be provided with the PSP.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TheGreenGiant said:
... that Memstick sure is handy if your world revolves around Sony products. If not... but never fear. I'm sure it's incorporated into PS3. Let me chuck out my Toshiba Laptop and get myself a Sony Vaio with Memstick port. And my digital camera... and my ..... ....

It's not exactly non-handy outside of the Sony world...you might have noticed the proliferation of multiformat flash card readers that include support for Memorystick in NON-sony PCs and printers. And for anyone without flash card reader built into their PC, there are devices like this:

jd_trio_page_pic.gif

http://www.lexarmedia.com/jumpdrive/index.html

Mashing

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but isn't the battery life and the price point the two most important things to know about a handheld prior to it's launch? Neither company has come out and set the record straight as to what it is... so I can't see how this can be counted as a negative for one system, but not another.

For all we know the DS will have terrible battery life as well... the thing is is that Nintendo has a great track record of great battery life so you're more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt... Sony, on the other hand, has no track record... therefore you intend to assume the worst.

I'm in a wait and see mode right now on the PSP. I'm already going to pick up a DS as it is... it's got games I want... next to nothing I'm interested in has been announced for PSP as yet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mashing said:
the thing is is that Nintendo has a great track record of great battery life so you're more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt... Sony, on the other hand, has no track record... therefore you intend to assume the worst.
Sony has delivered plenty of portable devices - many more than Nintendo - so you actually have quite a bit of track record on Sony's part to call on, over the span of decades. Yes, I realize there is no *SCE* track record per se but if you're going to claim that they'll reinvent the wheel then you really are going out of the way to assume the worst from them...

etiolate

Banned
Oh what a surprise.

Greg Kassivin = Jackass

Who's with me?

Personally, I'd go with douchebag. Let's recapsome of his Gamespottings shall we?

Ico and Metroid are examples of sexist, androcentric games.

The PSP is better because it's Sony!

The DS is the next Gameboy because it features Mario, Wario and Metroid. Which by that logic would make nearly every Nintendo system in history a gameboy.

The undefined aspects of DS are bad! A sign it was rushed out!

The undefined aspects of PSP are good! Because..wait why is questionable batterly life and price good?

Mashing said:
For all we know the DS will have terrible battery life as well... the thing is is that Nintendo has a great track record of great battery life so you're more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt... Sony, on the other hand, has no track record... therefore you intend to assume the worst.

actually kerrin (NOA VP) did say the DS battery life is very good. Like 8 hours or something. This is in the IGN interview. This is something Nintendo is very confident about. Sony's battery life stance is very scary; what's even more surprising is that I'm sure they would have heard the negative press on battery life already and so far, no media releases. I believe it will be 2 hours or so.

Insertia

It's funny that some talk about PSP's power as if it's a negative factor. What's funnier is it's the same fanboys that will squeal with excitement if GB Next is a portable Gamecube.

Gamers don't buy GBA for 2d games or a unique experience.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Well, in a way, I'm confident there will be a lot of 2D games for PSP. One word: emulators.

SNES, NES, Genesis, C64, Amiga and so on...maybe even, dare I say it, GBA emulators?! ;)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Mashing said:
Correct me if I'm wrong.. but isn't the battery life and the price point the two most important things to know about a handheld prior to it's launch? Neither company has come out and set the record straight as to what it is... so I can't see how this can be counted as a negative for one system, but not another.

I'm in a wait and see mode right now on the PSP. I'm already going to pick up a DS as it is... it's got games I want... next to nothing I'm interested in has been announced for PSP as yet.

True, Sony's never had a portable gaming system for us to set a track record by, but I think they've definately proven theirselves more than capable when it comes to the battery technology department. These are the people that first pioneered portable CD players with 40+ hour battery life, and I can definately vouch for their PDAs being pretty battery-friendly, especially considering how much stuff they cram into the average Clie. It's ashamed they dropped out of the PDA market, but this is probably part of their focus shift to the PSP. No doubt they're going to be implementing alot of that previous know-how and technology into it. I'm not sure how, but I'm confident Sony's going to find a way to give this thing decent battery life, but as you say, we won't know for sure until it's in our grubby empty-bank-account-having hands.

Insertia said:
It's funny that some talk about PSP's power as if it's a negative factor. What's funnier is it's the same fanboys that will squeal with excitement if GB Next is a portable Gamecube.

well, the GC discs are tiny and if they can make a portable cube; you'll start off with a huge library of games... and then some. So yes.. I will squel in excitement. But that said... I also don't get the condemnation that the PSP's power is attracting. My main quibbles are price and battery (as it should be)

Insertia said:
Gamers don't buy GBA for 2d games or a unique experience.

eh?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:
well, the GC discs are tiny and if they can make a portable cube; you'll start off with a huge library of games... and then some. So yes.. I will squel in excitement. But that said... I also don't get the condemnation that the PSP's power is attracting. My main quibbles are price and battery (as it should be)

But... but... won't anyone be worried that it will not force innovation and originality onto developers and we will play the "same-old" stuff we can find on home consoles ?

I thought it was a serious issue... ;).

tedtropy said:
True, Sony's never had a portable gaming system for us to set a track record by, but I think they've definately proven theirselves more than capable when it comes to the battery technology department. These are the people that first pioneered portable CD players with 40+ hour battery life, and I can definately vouch for their PDAs being pretty battery-friendly, especially considering how much stuff they cram into the average Clie. It's ashamed they dropped out of the PDA market, but this is probably part of their focus shift to the PSP. No doubt they're going to be implementing alot of that previous know-how and technology into it. I'm not sure how, but I'm confident Sony's going to find a way to give this thing decent battery life, but as you say, we won't know for sure until it's in our grubby empty-bank-account-having hands.

non of the existing PDAs have a moving optical drive
cdplayers are very different from a portable gaming device

the psp will need to display visuals, audio and read that umd... um yes. price+battery life.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:
price+battery life.

You know, some things are just worth what the manufacturer polans to ask and IMHO $249-299 would not be a technological rip-off.

I agree with you in a way, we should not criticize either console for the "unknowns", but for what we do know or have good data to speculate upon.

Insertia

Panajev2001a said:
But... but... won't anyone be worried that it will not force innovation and originality onto developers and we will play the "same-old" stuff we can find on home consoles ?

I thought it was a serious issue... ;).

don't forget this one!!!:

"but...but...why play GC games on a portable when I can play them on my 50 inch t.v. with 5.1 surround sound."

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
TheGreenGiant said:

the psp will need to display visuals, audio and read that umd... um yes. price+battery life.

My guess is that the UMD drive is going to be spinning a little as they can get away with. UMD is just an economical way to store alot of data. I'm hoping it'll only be accessed when data needs to be transferred over to RAM and will be idle 90% of the time. Obviously if the game is going to be constantly streaming data off of it, battery life probably won't be too hot. I don't know what Sony has in store, frankly nobody really does, although I'd like to assume they'll find a way to wow us with the battery life, rather than dissapoint.

ge-man

There won't be portable GC, at least in the current form. Battery technology will have to make a major leap for that to happen.

Secondly, we wouldn't see a jump like that from Nintendo until we were a couple generations removed. This is what the portable GC argument is missing--what is bothering some people about the PSP is that seems like a portable PS2, with the exception of having its own media. That won't fly too well if software will cost what I think it will. Frankly, I'm surprised so many have wasted their breath on power and features while software pricing has been shrugged off. I know for me it's going to be a huge sticking point. I'll stick with the GBA if forty dollar portable games becomes a reality with the DS and PSP.

At the Nintendo-in-New-York event, they said the only new info on the DS they had was that battery life would be 10 hours. So that's the current official word.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Kobun Heat said:
At the Nintendo-in-New-York event, they said the only new info on the DS they had was that battery life would be 10 hours. So that's the current official word.

WiFi on or WiFi off ?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
WiFi on or WiFi off ?
With backlights on or off? Running both screens using 2D processors, or using 3D CPU on one of them?

I'm just saying this because manufacturers often take the best possible scenario when giving out the battery life specs.

Memles

Marconelly said:
With backlights on or off? Running both screens using 2D processors, or using 3D CPU on one of them?

I'm just saying this because manufacturers often take the best possible scenario when giving out the battery life specs.

Can't quote the second, but I was unaware you could turn the lights off. Besides, how else would you ensure lighting for two seperate screens at different angles?

If Game Boy titles were JUST about portability, then why in the hell do people buy Game Boy Players? If people are willing to buy an extra peripheral to play these different titles, doesn't that make the portability option obviously not the only important one? I mean, I can't say which one will be the better system, but it's an interesting situation. Will it be technology or gameplay that defines the next set of handhelds; will it be Sony's Portable PS2-Quality machine, or Nintendo's Dual-Screened Game Boy. Will Nintendo's software lineup's differentiation (Damn Calculus) from mainstream console titles be as powerful in the market as Sony's current gen graphics capabilities?

Only time will tell, and it all may end up irrelevant once we get pricing and battery life. But for now, speculation rules.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TheGreenGiant said:

Sony makes laptops too. Extensive harddrive access, plus CD/DVD use, plus large, backlit LCD screen, etc. The point is that Sony has experience designing portable devices across a wide range of power consumption needs. This isn't unknown territory for them.

cvxfreak

kaching said:
Sony makes laptops too. Extensive harddrive access, plus CD/DVD use, plus large, backlit LCD screen, etc. The point is that Sony has experience designing portable devices across a wide range of power consumption needs. This isn't unknown territory for them.

Yes, but with the all the battery issues, they sure as hell aren't putting their experience to work.

kaching said:

you really are reaching with this. Yes, its not unknow territory. So why the 2-10 hour quote? I'm not saying anything but we've already established that price and battery is a concern. ... and why would they release pics with a fugly battery pack? I've NEVER seen anyone have to design something like that for the GBA/SP (third party or Nintendo)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TheGreenGiant said:
actually kerrin (NOA VP) did say the DS battery life is very good. Like 8 hours or something. This is in the IGN interview. This is something Nintendo is very confident about. Sony's battery life stance is very scary; what's even more surprising is that I'm sure they would have heard the negative press on battery life already and so far, no media releases. I believe it will be 2 hours or so.
Whether you like or not, this is something you're going to have to get used to regarding portable devices that have variable power usage, like the PSP and DS. In fact, Sony has been more forthcoming by giving a range on the battery lifespan for the PSP. Giving one number for battery life, like Nintendo has, is tantamount to saying nothing at all when talking about a portable device whose power consumption varies significantly depending on what you're doing.

and why would they release pics with a fugly battery pack? I've NEVER seen anyone have to design something like that for the GBA/SP (third party or Nintendo)
The GBA is only one of MANY portable devices in this world, GG. Lots of portable devices use external battery packs to increase longevity.

kaching said:
The GBA is only one of MANY portable devices in this world, GG. Lots of portable devices use external battery packs to increase longevity.

so you're concurring that PSP by itself doesn't have longevity?

Insertia

Memles said:
If Game Boy titles were JUST about portability, then why in the hell do people buy Game Boy Players? If people are willing to buy an extra peripheral to play these different titles, doesn't that make the portability option obviously not the only important one?

The Gameboy Player was successful?

Anyway, your attempt at making GBA games appear more unique then they actually are just doesn't work.
Put F-Zero for GC and GBA side by side and see which one casual gamers flock to.

Izzy

Banned
Originally Posted by iapetus
Good lord, will people quit it with the damage control already? It's kind of pitiful, especially when PSP hasn't actually shown it'll do any damage that needs controlling

Agreed.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:

Nintendo though tends to give out realistic "real world" specs for their platforms. I'd expect the 10 hour figure would be with the frontlights on for both screens running games like Mario 64x4 or Animal Crossing... probably with WiFi off (that tends to be a big battery drainer). WiFi should only be for internet options and play anyway though, not local wireless (Nintendo's Motorolla derived solution should be used for that).

Insertia said:
The Gameboy Player was successful?

Anyway, your attempt at making GBA games appear more unique then they actually are just doesn't work.
Put F-Zero for GC and GBA side by side and see which one casual gamers flock to.
Evidently the GBA game seeing as it's outsold GX 3 to 1.

Insertia

jarrod said:
Nintendo though tends to give out realistic "real world" specs for their platforms. I'd expect the 10 hour figure would be with the frontlights on for both screens running games like Mario 64x4 or Animal Crossing... probably with WiFi off (that tends to be a big battery drainer). WiFi should only be for internet options and play anyway though, not local wireless (Nintendo's Motorolla derived solution should be used for that).

Evidently the GBA game seeing as it's outsold GX 3 to 1.

That's expected considering GBA outsales GC 15 to 1.

Top Bottom