• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GS] Dengeki Chart Comment - 16 - 22 August

cvxfreak

http://game-science.com/news/000699.html

Seems pretty lowsy for the Japanese game market this period. I'm not 100% on my Japanese translation, as I used a combination of knowledge, Babelfish and interpretation to do this translation. As for the numbers:

Suikoden IV: 174,000
Suikoden III: 217,000 / 368,000
World Soccer Winning Eleven 8: 72,000 / 890,000
Summon Night: Craft Sword Story II: 56,000
Summon Night: Craft Sword Story I: 29,000 / 72,000

jarrod

Banned
Wow, WE8 seems to be doing much worse than expected... no way it breaks that 1.5M barrier some were predicting after Konami's glowing press release.

Suikoden IV seems to be doing okay, how did the series do on PS1?

jarrod said:
Wow, WE8 seems to be doing much worse than expected... no way it breaks that 1.5M barrier some were predicting after Konami's glowing press release.

Suikoden IV seems to be doing okay, how did the series do on PS1?

Well Konami's statement was that they want to ship that amount, doesn't mean that it's going to sell that amount to people. Konami's main problem with hitting that goal is people already know an upgrade will be coming so they just hold off on getting the first edition.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Just out of curiosity, since I missed the charts a couple of weeks back, did Panic Maker even make the top 50?

I believe it made it to #3X or something.

I'm surprised Capcom didn't make this game on the GC.

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, the announcement of a J-League release returing might have dampened things.... conversely though, WE6-7 might have only hit those record highs thanks to an absense of J-League updates.

cvxfreak

What's the difference between J.League and World Soccer? One specifically for Japan?

...geez, I can understand if Japanese gamers are getting sick of so many soccer games.

Jumpman

SolidSnakex said:
Well Konami's statement was that they want to ship that amount, doesn't mean that it's going to sell that amount to people. Konami's main problem with hitting that goal is people already know an upgrade will be coming so they just hold off on getting the first edition.

Yeah, I'm sure that's part of the problem. I also think that Japan's slumping games industry might be putting a little damper on WE8's sales potential. I wouldn't be suprised if these poor market conditions manage to take a bite out of the mighty Dragon Quest 8 as well.

cvxfreak

Jumpman said:
Yeah, I'm sure that's part of the problem. I also think that Japan's slumping games industry might be putting a little damper on WE8's sales potential. I wouldn't be suprised if these poor market conditions manage to take a bite out of the mighty Dragon Quest 8 as well.

I doubt it'll take a bit out of DQ8. I just think too many companies in Japan these days are making a habit out of re-releases. I think a lot of Japanese gamers would now rather wait for Winning Eleven 8 International, and it's only been 7 months since Winning Eleven 7 International. The same is happening with the Konami Jikkyou series. Even then, technically Winning Eleven 7 sold less than Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution. Dragon Quest VIII will only be released once, so gamers have the incentive to get that particular release, unless Final Fantasy XII's upcoming release interrupts Dragon Quest VIII's potential, but I highly doubt they'll eat into each other much. Other companies which seem to be making a habit out of re-releases and expansions include Koei, who are about to make Sengoku Musou Mushouden, Nintendo with Pokemon Emerald, and Square Enix with Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia, although I could understand the latter.

IMO, re-releases should be sold at a lower price, something Koei understands.

Miburou

jarrod said:
Yeah, the announcement of a J-League release returing might have dampened things.... conversely though, WE6-7 might have only hit those record highs thanks to an absense of J-League updates.

But the J-League editions usually have sold pretty low (50K or so). Also wasn't there a J-League edition of WE6?

CVXFREAK said:
What's the difference between J.League and World Soccer? One specifically for Japan?

...geez, I can understand if Japanese gamers are getting sick of so many soccer games.

J-League Winning Eleven has only Japanese league teams, while World Soccer has European league teams and international teams. J-League is pretty limited in comparison.

cvxfreak

Jumpman said:
CVXFREAK, how much do you think DQ8 will sell?

I think DQ8 will sell between 3 and 3.5 Million units. DQ7 sold 4,000,060 units, but with FFXII and other RPG titles coming out and the natural popularity decrease every game receives, I don't think DQ8 can sell as much as DQ7, but it's still indeed possible.

jarrod

Banned
Miburou said:
Also wasn't there a J-League edition of WE6?
Whoops, you're right...

-World Soccer Winning Eleven 5
-J-League Winning Eleven 5
-Pro Evolution Soccer
-World Soccer Winning Eleven 5 Final Evolution

-World Soccer Winning Eleven 6
-J-League Winning Eleven 6
-Pro Evolution Soccer 2
-World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution
-World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 International

-World Soccer Winning Eleven 7
-Pro Evolution Soccer 3
-World Soccer Winning Eleven 7 International

-World Soccer Winning Eleven 8
-J-League Winning Eleven 8
-Pro Evolution Soccer 4

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
Whoops, you're right...

-Pro Evolution Soccer

-Pro Evolution Soccer 2
-World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 International

-Pro Evolution Soccer 3

-Pro Evolution Soccer 4

Wow. I can't imagine a hardcore Winning Eleven fan's bookshelf. And we're in the EIGHTH entry.

Miburou

CVXFREAK said:
Wow. I can't imagine a hardcore Winning Eleven fan's bookshelf. And we're in the EIGHTH entry.

Well, that's for all 3 regions. In Japan it would be:

The J-League versions can be thought of as being similar to how you have college sports games in America. Konami is milking it though by releasing two World Soccer games per year (something they've only started this gen, as only WE3 had a special edition come out, and that was during the World Cup).

Jumpman

CVXFREAK said:
I think DQ8 will sell between 3 and 3.5 Million units. DQ7 sold 4,000,060 units, but with FFXII and other RPG titles coming out and the natural popularity decrease every game receives, I don't think DQ8 can sell as much as DQ7, but it's still indeed possible.

I don't think that other RPG titles have much of an effect on DQ8's sales potential. Final Fantasy IX came out around the same time as DQ7, and we all know that didn't slow it down. If anything it hurt FFIX. Dragon Quest is the marquee console game in Japan. For Japanese gamers, DQ comes first, and I don't think they'll pass on purchasing it for some other RPG, not even FFXII. Beyond that, Japanese sales are heavily front loaded. DQ8 will have no trouble maxing out it's sales by the time FFXII launches months later. Square Enix is making sure they give the games enough space on the calander to avoid direct competition.

I'm not sure what you are basing the whole "natural popularity decrease every game receives" idea on though. Hasn't the Dragon Quest series seen escalating sales over the last few installments?

I personally think that Dragon Quest 8 would be primed to top its predecessor if it weren't for the afformentioned sagging market conditions. I believe videogame blockbusters like DQ, GTA, and Pokemon are reflections of the health of a market, and they are not necessarily selling solely on there own merits. Since they are the game to own, they get an extensive boost in public awareness, creating a cycle that just pushes their sales even higher. Games in this position aren't really competing with other games in their genre, but are instead only restricted by the size of the market.

Your estimate for DQ8's sales is a good one, and has a strong chance of being correct. I'm a little bit more optimistic. I see sales a little bit north of 3.5 million, but probably not 4 million. Had the market been healthier, I would have predicted something between 5 and 6 million.

Top Bottom