• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT4 Japanese release date confirmed...

December 3rd.

The new site:

http://www.playstation.jp/scej/title/gt4/

2004092460751.jpg

650 cars and 50 courses have also been confirmed.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Are they still sticking to "November" for a North American release? It seems like every week it gets switched back and forth from 2004 to 2005 and vice versa. A solid date for Japan is probably a good sign.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"at the time of LAN connection opposition"

LAN != online though right?
no online would be a kick in the bollox.

He's right actually, another site is confirming that it's not online either. Polyphony is working on some kind of add on that'll make GT4 online though. Seems like they took it out to get it out by the end of the year.

DCharlie

"He's right actually, another site is confirming that it's not online either. Polyphony is working on some kind of add on that'll make GT4 online though. Seems like they took it out to get it out by the end of the year."

or to get the packin packs out with PSTwo and GT4 without people going "hold on, i can't friggin download the extras!!!" ;)

AniHawk

I knew it would be December 3rd. I didn't check anything but this thread, but before I clicked on it, I knew it would be December 3rd.

Although they're going to sell well, breaking the game into parts (what is likely the case here) will make it easier to recoup what is probably the biggest budget in video game history. Isn't along the lines of $24-$26 million (US) right now?

FightyF

Banned
I wouldn't mind if it were released early, and an online component were added later...somehow...I don't know how though...I mean, it's not like you can put much on an 8MB memory card.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
MightyHedgehog said:
Although they're going to sell well, breaking the game into parts (what is likely the case here) will make it easier to recoup what is probably the biggest budget in video game history. Isn't along the lines of $24-$26 million (US) right now?

I don't know what GT4's budget is but I haven't heard of anything coming close to the $70 million Sega spent on Shenmue. HL2 is at $40 million, but that's another game that's guaranteed to make the money back, and then some after engine liscenscing revenue.

Mooreberg said:
I don't know what GT4's budget is but I haven't heard of anything coming close to the $70 million Sega spent on Shenmue. HL2 is at $40 million, but that's another game that's guaranteed to make the money back, and then some after engine liscenscing revenue.

$70 million?!!?! WTF? Are you sure? I knew it was in the twenties or something, but 70? And HL2 at 40? Holy baby Jesus on a stick!

DCharlie

given the length of time it's been in dev, and given that LAN connection is available, there isn't really any excuse for this NOT being on line.

DCharlie said:
given the length of time it's been in dev, and given that LAN connection is available, there isn't really any excuse for this NOT being on line.

This is what happens when Kaz is spending time playing 900laps of the Nur in GT4. :p

Rhindle

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/24/news_6108402.html

Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline

Upcoming racing sim to be offline only; online driving planned for next year.

At a press conference held during the first day of the Tokyo Game Show, Sony and Polyphony Digital have announced that Gran Turismo will hit Japanese shelves on December 3, 2004. A North American and European release is currently targeted for December 14. Additionally, it has been announced that the upcoming version of Gran Turismo will not have an online racing mode. That functionality is planned for a new Gran Turismo game, tentatively planned for release in 2005.

We'll have more on Gran Turismo 4, including impressions of some of its newly-announced B-Spec mode, very soon.

By Staff, GameSpot POSTED: 09/24/04 01:19 AM

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DCharlie said:
"at the time of LAN connection opposition"

LAN != online though right?
no online would be a kick in the bollox.

I think it'll be like this: They release the game offline in Japan first.
Later on they release the game with online features in the US and Europe, and then Japan will recieve an "International Version" with online play. ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Is it me or the PS2 online offering is getting worse rather than better over time?
1st comes the SOCOM II maps fiasco. Then we got Winning online on Xbox rather than PS2 (the system the franchise has grown onto). Now this. WTF?

Solid

TTP said:
Is it me or the PS2 online offering is getting worse rather than better over time?
1st comes the SOCOM II maps fiasco. Then we got Winning online on Xbox rather than PS2 (the system the franchise has grown onto). Now this. WTF?
No shit. Think about Europe. No PES4, no GT4, no RE Outbreak, no FFXI online.

Sony ain't giving me much reason to go online with my PS2.

Rhindle

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56697

Sony drops online from Gran Turismo 4

Digital Polyphony's long-awaited PS2 racing title Gran Turismo 4 is on track to meet worldwide release dates in early December - but at the cost of online play, which has been removed from the game.

At a press conference at the Tokyo Game Show today, Sony representatives confirmed that the game will launch in Japan on December 3rd, followed by a launch in the USA and Europe around December 14th (which probably means Friday December 17th in Europe).

However, the title will now be an offline game only, in a surprising move for the company - which had previously vaunted online play as being one of the key selling points for the new game.

The plan is now to launch Gran Turismo 4 with offline play this year, while a new Gran Turismo game with online play is provisionally scheduled for 2005 at some point. We don't know much about the new title as yet, although we'd speculate that it might be a budget-priced release, similar to the post-GT3 Gran Turismo Concept.

Strong rumours from within Sony and Digital Polyphony had suggested that online problems were the primary cause of the delay to Gran Turismo 4, with the team encountering serious difficulty in getting the online racing modes up to scratch.

It seems likely that Sony took a decision to simply drop that functionality entirely from the game in order to ensure that it hit its Christmas release date.

Hooker

No online, No GT4 for me :/

(actually pretty good for my wallet as well, as I had to buy a PS2 and wheel along with it)

Drexon

Banned
<Chris Griffon> Whaaaaaaaaaat!? This is the worst possible move they could do. Just DROP online?!?! Baby Jesus is crying, he wanted online!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oh well, I still want it. But this is bullshit, far worse than Timsplitters 2 dropping online support before release.

I don't know, I was angry for like 30 seconds after I read the online mode was gone. But then it just went away after I saw the new TGS trailer. I need some Gran Turismo in my life.

Zaptruder

Banned
Damn, that's gay. They should release it without online for now, work furiously to get online working then repackage the game as GT4 online; then allow customers that bought GT4 to trade in their copies across counters for a 35$ rebate or something like that. Add a few more tracks and cars (or withhold some tracks and cars from the inital release >.>) to sweeten the deal.

I don't have a BBA... but I probably would've bought one for this.

Dekajelly

http://www.granturismoworld.com/

B-Spec = Director Mode
More than a rather abstract equation, B-Spec = Director Mode(2) is a completely new option that takes you out of the driver's seat and into the plush leather swivel chair of a race team manager. Revealingly described as a "Gran Turismo that players don't drive", B-Spec = Director Mode gives you the opportunity to command an AI-controlled driver instead of directly participating in a race.

Interestingly, the B-Spec option sits in tandem with the existing A-Spec (i.e. standard racing) in GT Mode, allowing you to decide when you want to drive and when you want to sit back and dish out instructions from the pits. If you wish, you can actually play through the entirety of GT Mode in a completely non-participatory fashion, which is great news for all of you auto-loving types who prefer to leave the driving to the (virtual) professionals.

Rather than seeing the action from the traditional GT racing perspective, directors will be able to choose from three view types: Broadcast View (replay-style camera angles), On-Board Camera (one for each car) and Race Monitor Screen(3). The latter provides vital information on every competing vehicle, including lap times, split times, the time difference compared to the other racers, and which laps were used for pit stops. All this data will help you get the measure of the competition and judge your driver's comparative performance.

Fine tuning of your vehicle in B-Spec is even more important than when you're participating yourself; you'll have to conduct tests on your settings and tyre selection before each race to ensure that the car is optimised for your proposed strategies in the next race.

Once a race is underway, you'll be able to put your tactics into practice using a variety of command options. Pace Command lets you give your driver pace instructions on a five-level scale, Easy to Hard - the easier the pace, the safer the race. While this will save on tyre wear, you'll have to push hard at times, taking risks in order outpace your rivals. However, any pace commands can be overridden by the Overtake Command, which automatically instructs the AI to prioritise passing the car in front. Finally, the rather self-explanatory Pit In Command orders your driver to enter the pit lane, giving you the option to adjust the tyre selection and the amount of fuel required for refuelling.

Gran Turismo Resort
GT Mode expands to great effect with the introduction of the Gran Turismo Resort, a "Motor Resort City" filled with a staggering range of facilities. Starting at My Home (your garage), you'll have the chance to visit and explore a variety of areas that have been designed to exploit every facet of the driving experience.

You'll need a car before you do anything, so the Car Towns will no doubt be your first port of call. These auto-loving municipalities are divided up by territory and consist of dealerships for GT4's 80-plus manufacturers and 650-plus cars. Although the emphasis will be on cars produced in the 80s and 90s, the full list includes cars ranging from the dawn of the automobile age to the present day. You'll also find Tuner's Village, which offers a selection of famous car tuning shops, and there's even a number of used car dealerships and shops that offer affordable choices for the first-time buyer, as well as vintage models for the seasoned collector.

When you're actually ready to get on the track, a trip to the Race Event Pavilions or suburban Circuit Areas will open up a world of racing events. In traditional GT fashion, these events will be divided up by a number of categories, such as race/track type, vehicle type/model and required licenses.

Speaking of licenses, the License Test Centre returns to frustrate and delight drivers in equal measure yet again, albeit on a much larger scale - pretty much like just about everything else in GT4, in fact. Finally, the Music Theatre allows you to step away from the hustle and bustle of the GT World for a while, giving you the chance to sit back and enjoy choice cuts from GT4's soundtrack.

What may come as a surprise is that these myriad facilities apparently offer a glimpse of what the Gran Turismo Resort has to offer - no doubt all will be revealed closer to GT4's release.

"The heart of a traveller"
A key phrase for the game, it seems; GT4 features the widest selection of tracks in a Gran Turismo title yet, from beautifully realised real-life racing circuits, city locations and natural environments, to a heap of classic fictional GT tracks. The current total stands at 31, although it's promised that more will be announced at an unspecified later date. Here's the latest list in full:

Japanese circuits
Fuji Speedway '80
Fuji Speedway '90
Tsukuba Circuit 2000
Twin Ring Motegi (full course)
Twin Ring Motegi (Oval Track)
Suzuka Circuit (full course)

North American Circuits
Laguna Seca Raceway
Sears Point Raceway

European Circuits
Nurburgring Nordschleife

City Courses
Tokyo R246
Seattle
New York
Hong Kong
Las Vegas Drag Strip
George V Paris
Opera Paris
Cote D'Azur
Special Stage Route 5
Citta di Aria

Nature Courses
Grand Canyon
Swiss Alps
Ice Arena
Grand Valley
Trial Mountain
Midfield Raceway
Snow Lake
High Speed Ring
Amalfee Circuit
Motorsports Land
Tahiti Maze
Autumn Ring

Look out for a more detailed track run-down in a future Gran Turismo World update.

Photo Mode
A few new details regarding the previously-announced Photo Mode have been revealed - the mid-race and stage location photography options have now been dubbed "Photo Drive" and "Photo Travel" respectively. In addition, 15 locations have been confirmed for the latter option. These are:

Gion District - Kyoto, Japan
Nanzenji Temple - Kyoto, Japan
Sagano - Kyoto, Japan
Tsumago - Nagano, Japan
Piazza San Marco - Venice, Italy
Realto Bridge - Venice, Italy
Shibuya - Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo International Forum - Tokyo, Japan
Shiga Kogen - Nagano, Japan
Brooklyn - New York NY, USA
Times Square - New York NY, USA
Asian Fish Market
Freemont Street - Las Vegas NV, USA
Louisberg Square - Boston MA, USA
Grand Canyon Pima Point - AZ, USA
"The Human Aspect"

While the Gran Turismo has always excelled in portraying cars and their surrounding environment in increasingly meticulous detail, there's always been one element conspicuous by its absence: people. GT4 rectifies this situation, replicating the movement of the driver, pit crew and spectators with Polyphony's now-trademark panache. This vital inclusion completes the triumvirate of "cars, people and nature" that Polyphony has always strived to achieve, bringing the GT series one huge step closer to reality.

The drive of your life
Naturally, a number of important enhancements have been made to the actual driving experience to ensure that GT's ever-present 'Real Driving Simulator' tagline is more relevant than ever. The car physics simulation is now so accurate that GT4 can be used for practising sports driving in real life - if you achieve a certain time in a specific car on a specific circuit in GT4, you can guarantee that you'll achieve almost precisely the same time were you to recreate the conditions in real life.

This will be particularly noticeable when you start modifying your vehicle; changes you make will effect the car's performance more subtly and hence more realistically. Superchargers and NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) have now been added to the selection, which will allow you to turn your ride into a fearsome speed machine.

Beginners will be delighted to learn that the Driver Assist Functions - anti-lock brakes, traction control systems and active stability control - all make their welcome return, along with the brand new active steering function. If your skills aren't entirely up to scratch yet, the DAFs ensure that you'll still have an enjoyable drive.

Mission races
Another new concept to be debuted in GT4 is the mission-based racing event. Much like the 'scenario' modes seen in a number of football titles, these mission races won't necessarily begin at the starting grid. For example, you may be required to win a race from a few seconds - or even a full lap - behind the opposition. Polyphony has introduced this option to give you the chance to instantly experience typical dramatic racing situations, as well enjoy the challenge of trying to clear the mission objectives.

High scores
Finally (yes, really), there's the newly-implemented high score system. Typically, races in GT have imposed all sorts of race regulations - tyre types, maximum horsepower, etc. - which has restricted the variety of cars allowed to compete in certain events. GT4 omits many of these regulations in favour of a high score system which lets you earn points from successful races based on the vehicle and modifications you use.

Win a race at a disadvantage - driving a 200hp car in a 400hp race, for example - and you'll earn more points than, say, winning the race in a 600hp motor. In effect, this gives you the chance to play through the game as you wish, whether you prefer to progress quickly at the expense of points, or to take the risk and drive at a disadvantage to send your scores soaring.

That's it for now, but keep your eyes trained on GranTurismoWorld.com in the coming weeks for more news, screens, downloads - and much, much more besides.

Top Bottom