• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 3 - PS2 vs. Xbox | Side by Side

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
When i look at GTA IV, the step from PS2/Xbox to PS3/360 was sooo big. We won't see this ever again.

PS2 is holding up againts a stronger Xbox.
DS1XTIz.jpeg

Last edited:

Mownoc

With the Xbox version coming out over 2 years later, after vice city even, it was basically a remaster.

ReBurn

Gold Member
San Andreas is another offender of this - a lot of the “character” and “ambiance” of these old GTA games never translated when ported over to Xbox/PC.

The PS2 versions remain truest to Rockstar’s vision.
Rockstar could have made the Xbox and PC versions the same experience as PS2 version but they chose to improve audio, models, textures, lighting, reflections... They didn't have to make the improvements, but they made them. So I'm not convinced that the PS2 was their truest vision. It seems more like doing the best with what they had to work with at the time.

When i look at GTA IV, the step from PS2/Xbox to PS3/360 was sooo big. We won't see this ever again.
GTA IV fucking blew my mind back in 08. It's also my favorite GTA game just from an overall standpoint, I know it's not as "fun" as VC/SA but the atmosphere, and writing, and characters and just everything all together was amazing.

The PS3/360 generation was such a huge step up IMO. Playing COD4, Gears, and GTA IV was all such huge jumps.

Nvzman

This is comparing an emulated version on a PC vs an emulated version on the 360, which was infamously awful at emulating most Xbox games.

... Why does this even have a thread? It's a worthless comparison, the PS2 emulation in the video isn't even completely accurate, the fog effects are much more pronounced on original hardware. Rockstar's games tend to look better on PS2 due to art style decisions over the actual technical details. Xbox may have had better models and textures but San Andreas is completely missing the hazy smog effect the PS2 version had which completely kills the atmosphere of the game.

Last edited:

intbal

It's an old video, but it does have both versions running on original hardware.
However, the Xbox's video output is notoriously poor for capturing (probably due to the overly aggressive flicker filter in the encoding chip). The game would look different on a CRT versus what you see here.

San Andreas is another offender of this - a lot of the “character” and “ambiance” of these old GTA games never translated when ported over to Xbox/PC.

Or they just covered the screen with a piss filter smear and awful blur everywhere to cover up the limitations of the hardware of the time trying to do a massive open World.

Or they just covered the screen with a piss filter smear and awful blur everywhere to cover up the limitations of the hardware of the time trying to do a massive open World.
So that’s why Rockstar patched in the ambient PS2 lighting effects to the Netflix version of the Definitive Edition, essentially “fixing it”?

kevboard

Did you even watch the video? lol

I always wondered if it was worth buying the gta3/vice city twin pack on Xbox even though though I played them on ps2. Looks like the added a significant amount of flair.

better framerate, cubemap car reflections, 3d motors, 3d wheels, 3d car underbodies, fully modelled fingers, better textures, better environment meshes, improved lighting...

it was basically a remaster

Last edited:
OG Xbox also had custom soundtracks for the radio which automatically faded during conversations, cutscenes. I played both versions and that trilogy was superior on Xbox visually.

A shame that custom soundtrack optionwas never implemented the same way on 360

Last edited:

RickMasters

Xbox version clearly several rungs above the PS2 version.

The PC/mobile ports is where it all went wrong.

I remember playing it first on PS2…. Getting It again on the OG Xbox and noticing it ran smoother and looked a better.

Always loved GTA3s ambience….. cruising around night time liberty city with game FM playing. When the sound track came out I jumped in my car, took a late night drive around London with my GTA soundtrack CDs in my Sony 6 disc hooked up to my alpine head unit….. had a black integra, with work emotion wheels….. the early 00s were good times. For gaming and car culture…. Really miss that period.

squidilix

PS2 versions does not look like this... shimmering is pretty stable (yes, more than Xbox, but not like this shit video)

Why people still comparing with Emulator, absolute non-sense.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Yeah, worst graphics, audio, and frame rate on the PS2 ,but true to Rockstar's "vision". This is a "games are more cinematic at 30fps" kind of comment.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Did you even watch the video? lol

I always wondered if it was worth buying the gta3/vice city twin pack on Xbox even though though I played them on ps2. Looks like the added a significant amount of flair.
I played gta3 and vice city on PS2 and then got the Xbox double pack and played them again. I knew every nook and cranny of those maps going into the Xbox versions and it was a much better experience on Xbox. I loved it on both systems, though.

Stuart360

I actually prefer the way the trees look on PS2 over Xbox, everything else is better on Xbox though.
The main advantage on Xbox for me though was the sharp image quality, and consistent framerate.

Top Bottom