• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online no longer playable on Steam Deck

Rockstar not giving a fuck in their typical fashion. This is kind of unacceptable really since it's apparently extremely easy to get Battleye up and running for Linux.

Banjo64

cumsessed
pc-players-must-now-install-battleye-anticheat-to-play-v0-f95mj91yodpd1.jpg

Literally just saying fuck off to Deck users so this is not an oversight.

Wonder if Valve would refund me despite playing 60 hours in single player.

killatopak

Gold Member
Nothing to lose in trying.

Also a quick glance at the Steam forums shows that the game still has cheaters galore even despite them doing this. Utterly pointless, just let people play.
At least I can look forward to GTA6 being cheater free for the first few years.

Maybe a few 3rd party controller abusers but I can deal with that.

Esparadrapo

Neo Member
Valve has its fair share of blame in this. You can't run a compatibility program and have zero accountability when you are showing the rating in a product page.

Valve should issue refunds to anyone who's asking for one and bought the game while it had a "playable" tag.

There's also the problem of publishers taking Epic's money and updating old as hell games that previously worked fine to implement garbage like EOS or EAC. But that's another hornets' nest.

HogIsland

Valve has its fair share of blame in this. You can't run a compatibility program and have zero accountability when you are showing the rating in a product page.

Valve should issue refunds to anyone who's asking for one and bought the game while it had a "playable" tag.

There's also the problem of publishers taking Epic's money and updating old as hell games that previously worked fine to implement garbage like EOS or EAC. But that's another hornets' nest.
yeah, this is a pretty difficult problem valve is taking on with Proton. as much as this sucks, when Rockstar says "we don't officially support steam deck", they're not being unreasonable.

valve really needs to expand steamOS further (i.e. to console and to non-valve devices) so that publishers can't take this half-in/half-out approach.

Jaybe

You should be able to request a refund if bought on Steam. Sucks though because that doesn’t solve that you enjoyed playing it. At least it sends a message, if a bunch of Steam Deck users do this.

Hookshot

Gold Member
If Valve are selling a product that no longer works on Valve products then Valve should give you a refund. It's messed up that you think they might not do so.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Is it still playable using Windows on Steamdeck? I did that for a while to get Gamepass on the Steamdeck and just kind of stopped somewhere along the way and just use plain jane Steam OS.

HogIsland

Is it still playable using Windows on Steamdeck? I did that for a while to get Gamepass on the Steamdeck and just kind of stopped somewhere along the way and just use plain jane Steam OS.
no reason it shouldn't be. it does seem like people forget steam deck can run windows just as well as a rog ally if you want it to.

but i agree with you, that i'd rather just roll with steamos and ignore games that need windows.

GTAO has recently been updated to include BattlEye Anti-Cheat, which fully supports Proton and Linux, but Rockstar has simply decided not to allow this.

If that’s true it’s unbelievable.

Its basically that. Apparently BattlEye has had support on Linux with Proton for quite a while now.
What sucks more is that Rockstar is basically like "Well we never SAID it was supported on the Steamdeck, so you really should talk to Valve, not us". Sure, you didn't have Deck ready status, but the game was working fine before. This isn't a Valve related issue, all the tools are in Rockstars hands, they chose to do this.

While I'm not heart broken over it as I'm not invested in GTA Online. It just goes to show where they will be placing GTA6 after this, and yet another blow to Linux gamers. The market is very much increasing (A lot due to the Steamdeck adoption).
That said, Kernel level anti cheats need to stop. They do almost nothing but hurt the end user, as cheaters still exist well beyond the AntiCheat.

Holammer

If more non-valve handhelds adopt Steam OS (seems to be around the corner) this will become a problem for launchers and intrusive anti-cheat systems.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
All digital future is great!!

Oh Boy Wow GIF by First We Feast
???
This has nothing to do with digital or not.
Nothing to lose in trying.

Also a quick glance at the Steam forums shows that the game still has cheaters galore even despite them doing this. Utterly pointless, just let people play.
???
Detecting some or most of cheats is much better than detecting none.

You should be able to request a refund if bought on Steam. Sucks though because that doesn’t solve that you enjoyed playing it. At least it sends a message, if a bunch of Steam Deck users do this.

If Valve are selling a product that no longer works on Valve products then Valve should give you a refund. It's messed up that you think they might not do so.
The game has minimal requirements and Windows is the minimum.

Last edited:

kevboard

FFS. Bought this game and RDR2 just for their online when I got my Deck last month.

This is a result of the newly implemented anti-cheat being incompatible with Linux.

I’m gutted. Hope RDR2 doesn’t follow.

refund it. the more people do this the more they will actually notice

Haint

FFS. Bought this game and RDR2 just for their online when I got my Deck last month.

This is a result of the newly implemented anti-cheat being incompatible with Linux.

I’m gutted. Hope RDR2 doesn’t follow.

You made your own bed buying a Steamdeck in late 2024 when there are so many excellent Windows portables with vastly superior hardware and infinitely wider software support.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You made your own bed buying a Steamdeck in late 2024 when there are so many excellent Windows portables with vastly superior hardware and infinitely wider software support.
You can run Windows 10/11 on Deck. No problem.

Top Bottom