• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guess (don't Google ;)) the price of a 512 MB Memory Stick Pro Duo

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Any guesses ?

Bonus points for the 256 MB version.

Edit: I googled lready before starting the thread, but I am not one of the contestants so :p.

Fry's earlier this week had a SanDisk 256 MB Pro Duo Memory Stick on sale for $29.99 after $10 rebate. I regrettably didn't snatch one up. I'm guessing a 512 MB is $69.99 MSRP. For Sony brand, add $20 I'm guessing.

I bought a Sony-brand 256 MB Pro Duo Stick in in March for $84 thanks to Best Buy's employee discount. It was retailing for $129 at the time I think.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am using Newegg.com as benchmark because I trust that store and it has usually low prices: of course I am not aware of special one week only dscounts atstores like Fry's.

Mrbob

And yet we pay 20-25 dollars for an 8MB magic gate sony memory card on PS2. I really, REALLY PS3 supports the memory stick as its format to save games. Prices will plummet more over the next year and a half. Although it'll probably be the duo to keep compatibility with PSP so you can use it with both.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am all for PlayStation 3 to use Memory Stick Pro Duo as game cards format.

They will have to have slots, at least one, compatible with the current memory cards or at least an adapter, but please Sony... do not think make backward-compatibility with the old Memory Cards push to just simply extend the life of a technology which is now too old and not very future-proof.

I'd say an adapter would be the best choice: it would ahve to be included with the PlayStation 3.

Else, they could make one port for the old Memory Card and one for the Memory Stick Pro Duo.

Brofist

I'm really hoping the 1GB MS Pro Duo hits a decent price about the time PSP is released, to me 1 GB is a good size to play around with when you start taking into account music, game saves, etc..

teiresias

Twenty bucks says the PS3 does use Memory Stick Duo, but it's just repackaged into a traditional PS1 and PS2 mechanical format and overcharged.

SKluck

Banned
IMO they should all use SD or CF and you should be able to copy saves to your computer for backup purposes.

mr2mike

Banned
I'm surprised no one has gutted a PS2 mem card and made it into a mem stick slot using one of those 10 bucks radio shack card readers... I mean a PS2 mem card IS just an 8MB magicgate right?

unless there's a thing in the PS2's OS that doen't allow it to format a card over 8 MB, just rigging something with a mem card just sems like a no brainer...

"you should be able to copy saves to your computer for backup purposes."

Magicgate will probably see that you dont.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
mr2mike said:
"you should be able to copy saves to your computer for backup purposes."

Magicgate will probably see that you dont.

Wrong, you do not need MagicGate for PSP saves: it has been announced already, PSP game saves can be stored on the PC (PSP appears asa Mass Storage device when a Memory Sticik is inside and the PSP is connected to the PC via USB connection).

Mrbob

Unfortunately the PS3 memory cards will probably be something custom. If they go the standard memory stick duo route don't they give money to the computer section and not their own? They are gonna want to keep their own profits.

mr2mike

Banned
Ah well that's nice to know!

I was sure sony would DRM anything and everything that went to and from the PSP with Connect.

"what is it exactly? An ecryption thing?"

a DRM thing, the gist of it, I think, is like most other DRM systems out there... if the thing that's on the mem card is protected, that shit is going nowhere unless the thing that put it there retrieves it.

snapty00

Banned
Congratulations, Sony, on picking the only fucking memory-card standard that I don't have and have no reason to have.

Fuck Duo.

Strangely enough the local computer shop got these in when I dropped by yesterday:
Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 512MB: $150 CDN, which means either a crazy markup from 99.99, or an actual US MSRP of around $120.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Cool - if i order 40 512 meg cards at 81$ i can finally chuck away this pain in the ass creative Zen and have all my portable functions on one machine! Yay for convergence machines!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Panajev2001a said:
NO NO NO NO.

We have to shout together: Memory Stick Pro Duo for PlayStation 3.
Most Duo sticks come with an adapter so they can slotted into a standard Memstick slot. I'd rather see a standard Memstick slot in the PS3 so someone could use any existing form of Memstick

Brofist

DCharlie said:
Cool - if i order 40 512 meg cards at 81$ i can finally chuck away this pain in the ass creative Zen and have all my portable functions on one machine! Yay for convergence machines!

:lol

Or you could try jammng a PSP UMD game in your Zen, I'm sure it'll play it right :p

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
my guess is 50-100% more than CF/SD
CF is 50% cheaper then SD to begin with - it's not exactly a sensible guess.

Panajev said:
Memory Stick Pro Duo for PlayStation 3.
Seeing that the regular slot allows the use of Duo's and regular MS Pros go up to 4GB right now, while Duo's only just reached 1GB, I have to ask, pray tell why would you ask for Duo slots in a desktop machine? :p

Che

Banned
Yeah let's do that! Let's all shout together "Memory Stick Pro for PS3!!!" and leave that stupid Europeans pay 250$ for a DAMN 512 memory stick. Shut ut guys...

DCharlie

according to kakaku.com, the cheapest you can get in Tokyo is 100$ or so for 512 meg.

The situation is definitely getting beter , it would seem, but 512 meg is only gonna get you so far as a Mp3/content player.

the other pissor for people wanting to get the most out of the psp is that they may have to buy the unit + extra battery(plural?) + memory card.

Brofist

DCharlie said:
the other pissor for people wanting to get the most out of the psp is that they may have to buy the unit + extra battery(plural?) + memory card.

and that still doesn't leave you with a game to play yet :p

DCharlie

"and that still doesn't leave you with a game to play yet :p"

good point

+ Lumines (4800 yen) :)

it's the reason i'm buying a PSP...

... plus it gives me cart blanche to start my usually sony bitch fest! AWESOME!!!!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
*cracks knuckles* sounds like the next opportunity for us to both refresh our tags. Can't wait!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mrbob said:
Unfortunately the PS3 memory cards will probably be something custom. If they go the standard memory stick duo route don't they give money to the computer section and not their own? They are gonna want to keep their own profits.

First thing they have to realize: they are part of Sony, Sony has to soar and prosper as a whole.

Second, It makes for MUCH better interaction between PlayStation 3 and different Sony products which support Memory Stick modules like PSP, photo-cameras, Vaio Laptops, etc...

I want Memory Stick Pro compatible slots in PlayStation 3.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
"and that still doesn't leave you with a game to play yet :p"

good point

Do you know how many BMW Z3 do you have to get to pull the weight that Ford's F-250 carry ? More than one.

Does it make the BMW Z3 worthless ? NO :p.

... plus it gives me cart blanche to start my usually sony bitch fest! AWESOME!!!!

;)

Jonnyram

Panajev2001a said:
Do you know how many BMW Z3 do you have to get to pull the weight that Ford's F-250 carry ? More than one.
So PSP = BMW Z3 and Creative Zen = Ford F-250? This is heading in a good direction.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
First thing they have to realize: they are part of Sony, Sony has to soar and prosper as a whole.

Dude, do you know how disorganized and antagonistic Sony teams are to each other?

Top Bottom