• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
any news on sale/discount?
i played gw2 quite some time ago, would like to dip into it as a "commodity" game to play every once in a while, so i'd welcome a 30 eur pricerange myself :X

So I play a Rev in ranked PvP these days, and I was having no luck with the Berserker Shiro/Glint meta build going on.

I decided to design my own bunker/support build since my team needed one, and it's been wrecking SHOP:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vlA...sklZlRNgCaYNjOGxO6q7G-TJxEABUVGo99HA4EAwwDAAA

Massive heals, insanely tough, poor damage but a decent amount of burst thanks to Glint's F2. Yet to go down to -anyone- in a 1v1, and even 1v2 and 1v3 is sustainable for long enough to do reinforcements with the right moves. Best thing about Rev is being able to entirely forfeit attacking in favor of spamming low-cooldown heals and evasion.

Sigils are Superior Speed and Energy, since I couldn't post them there. Armor is Durability.

Proven

Classes are ending for me, and Pro League is on the off season. So for the next month, how would people like a Monday Night Fights event? Depending on turnout, we'll either group up and play Hotjoin against each other or a couple of Unranked/Ranked matches. You can get build advice, tune for team comps, try silly strategies, or just have a night where a number of people want to queue together.

I was thinking about it just being PvP guild missions, but those only work for one team at a time so I'll save that for if we get a low turn out.

Some other night in the week I want to dedicate to WvW guild missions... I'd prefer Wednesday's but I do not want to get in the way of the Jumping Puzzle Day because it's pretty fun for a lot of people.

All of these food and drink items I'm getting out of Christmas presents are worth so much money. Relative to me still being a noob at least.
People rushing for that 10k drink achievement. I should get in on that action...

So I play a Rev in ranked PvP these days, and I was having no luck with the Berserker Shiro/Glint meta build going on.

I decided to design my own bunker/support build since my team needed one, and it's been wrecking SHOP:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vlA...sklZlRNgCaYNjOGxO6q7G-TJxEABUVGo99HA4EAwwDAAA

Massive heals, insanely tough, poor damage but a decent amount of burst thanks to Glint's F2. Yet to go down to -anyone- in a 1v1, and even 1v2 and 1v3 is sustainable for long enough to do reinforcements with the right moves. Best thing about Rev is being able to entirely forfeit attacking in favor of spamming low-cooldown heals and evasion.

Sigils are Superior Speed and Energy, since I couldn't post them there. Armor is Durability.

Good on you. Read and experienced the meta then got a decent looking build going. I'm impressed that you're finding success with a Ventari build.

My Engie finally gets a long deserved makeover.
I just bought the wings yesterday and found that they hilariously match my badly dyed Necro to a great degree. I thought they'd be more cute than anything at that size, but hey, here we are now.

i played gw2 quite some time ago, would like to dip into it as a "commodity" game to play every once in a while, so i'd welcome a 30 eur pricerange myself :X

Probably not any time soon from ArenaNet themselves since the expac *just* came out less than 2 months ago, but maybe from one of their resellers? Make sure that you buy from an authorized reseller though, if it's not one of the companies on this list it's probably fradulent and will get your account banned: https://www.guildwars2.com/retailers/

I messed around in the Christmasy area and it's all pretty overwhelming. I'm not sure quite what I should be doing. I tried to do some snowflake, snowball platforming nonsense and after 15 minutes or so my hands were getting sore so I stopped.

Is there some kind of summary or rundown of any skins or minis I could be earning with all these systems so that I don't miss out on anything?

You might find this useful: http://dulfy.net/2015/12/15/gw2-wintersday-2015-coverage-guide/

zulux21

I messed around in the Christmasy area and it's all pretty overwhelming. I'm not sure quite what I should be doing. I tried to do some snowflake, snowball platforming nonsense and after 15 minutes or so my hands were getting sore so I stopped.

Is there some kind of summary or rundown of any skins or minis I could be earning with all these systems so that I don't miss out on anything?

i typically just make sure to do the bells each day as in 10 minutes you earn like 2 gold right now :p

of course I am still a very casual player and currently have more than double tombs of experience than I have total levels on my account >.>

spiritfox

Wow, so grindy. That snowy particle effect item looks awesome but I'm pretty sure it would be literally impossible to do without being insanely rich and/or poopsocking the game the entire length of the event.

Yeah, I suggest you not go for it. Just make some money off those who are. =P

Classes are ending for me, and Pro League is on the off season. So for the next month, how would people like a Monday Night Fights event? Depending on turnout, we'll either group up and play Hotjoin against each other or a couple of Unranked/Ranked matches. You can get build advice, tune for team comps, try silly strategies, or just have a night where a number of people want to queue together.

I was thinking about it just being PvP guild missions, but those only work for one team at a time so I'll save that for if we get a low turn out.

Some other night in the week I want to dedicate to WvW guild missions... I'd prefer Wednesday's but I do not want to get in the way of the Jumping Puzzle Day because it's pretty fun for a lot of people.

People rushing for that 10k drink achievement. I should get in on that action...

Good on you. Read and experienced the meta then got a decent looking build going. I'm impressed that you're finding success with a Ventari build.

I just bought the wings yesterday and found that they hilariously match my badly dyed Necro to a great degree. I thought they'd be more cute than anything at that size, but hey, here we are now.

Thanks! I will say that Ventari is super-specialized, but especially with Glint, I think it's a massively underrated Legend. The kicker is you basically have to forfeit attacking entirely while in Ventari mode, making it horrid for a build designed to, you know, actually hurt things. But by going Cleric amulet and wading into a teamfight as Ventari, I can summon the tablet, spend all my energy on cleansing condis and healing my team, then use Facet of Chaos, pop it for Fury, and rock surprising burst with sword.

The real kicker to the build is between Shield 5 and the talent that copies it, I can turn invuln multiples times per fight, while simultaneously still healing with tablet. It makes focusing me in a teamfight absolutely useless, and if they don't, I just get to go ham healing.

I'll need more testing to be truly committed, but our first week in ranked after I swapped, with no other changes to our team, we went from going 2-3 or 1-4 each night [I was honestly a liability] to 5-0 twice in a row.

The expansion contains the base game + expansion which goes for 50 USD and came out 2 months ago, so it might take a while, but you might catch a xmas sale if your lucky. I think every title will have a discount if you know where to shop.

However, you do know that GW2 is free 2 play now? You can just download and play without restrictions; https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157?_ga=1.150987124.374235799.1450276327

Wow, so grindy. That snowy particle effect item looks awesome but I'm pretty sure it would be literally impossible to do without being insanely rich and/or poopsocking the game the entire length of the event.

Accept that these items are cosmetic and useless and for power players. Instead, make money of them. make a lot of money. I got hundreds of golds during the halloween patch for the bats backpack.

Like all MMOs this game have sadistic individuals who need crazy grinds to aim at, so they create a long progression.
Instead try and earn some achievements and oogle other cool skins. When you go to the bank, you can see every armor weapon skin in the game. Make the adjustments and figure out how to get it. And deck out your character to look fabulous. That is the way of fashion wars 2.

DONT BE A SADIST:D

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yeah I'm far past the point in my life where I would ever think of dedicating so much effort into such a minor thing in a video game. Profiting off the crazies has been great so far so I'll keep doing that. It's just weird coming from FF14 (the last MMO I was invested in) to this where in that game they just handed any Joe Casual every cosmetic items associated with a holiday event after just a quick series of fetch quests.

Yeah I'm far past the point in my life where I would ever think of dedicating so much effort into such a minor thing in a video game. Profiting off the crazies has been great so far so I'll keep doing that. It's just weird coming from FF14 (the last MMO I was invested in) to this where in that game they just handed any Joe Casual every cosmetic items associated with a holiday event after just a quick series of fetch quests.

The super grindy skins are relatively new to GW2 tbh, last year they gave us new Christmas-themed weapon skins and by the 3rd day you were tossing them out because you had too many. Totally different from a lot of the past content.

nataku

Ugh, I'm having difficultly with my mouse cursor again. Either it completely disappears and I can't see what I'm clicking on UI wise, or it won't disappear at all when holding right/left click and moving the camera or turning on action camera.

I bought Fractal Keys, still making a profit, lowest profit margin was 3gold, but now I am out of chest..went from 192g to 254g..190 keys bought..they gonna nerf this, i always made a profit, you will lose money if you have to buy the chest, if you have a ton of chest buy keys..

Break down since i basically posted nada..

I was testing 20 key at a time..
Biggest profit margins the keys were at 20s each.
made 8gold some RNG help that.

Smallest profit margins when the keys were 30s each
only made 3g.
largest profit while paying 30s per key was 6 gold..

So we were just talking about this in gchat, but what's the deal with the current guild level? We're at level 31 and 6390/6390 exp, why aren't we levelling up?

Mxrz

So we were just talking about this in gchat, but what's the deal with the current guild level? We're at level 31 and 6390/6390 exp, why aren't we levelling up?

It seems to be a new bug. It hit us too. I'd guess its become buggy like the favor bar used to be.

Clearos

Been getting bored of the bunker meta in pvp and started tooling around with a beserker build and having some pretty good success. I can see it getting shut down in the higher tiers but I'll never get there.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQRA...M92CGBgPYP7942cjuA-TZhHwADOCAAeAAHLDE4kAAa/BA

I think there are a few that similar but I couldn't find it on meta or on the warrior form.

Bull Charge --> Head Butt --> Zerk mode --> Flaming furry -> weapon swap -> shattering blow -> skull grinder. Squishies drop before that rotation but it will put a lot of pressure on others.
Body blow and distraction strikes keep a collection of condis to pressure rather than just burn damage (hence no king of flames talent)
20 seconds elite plus krait = amazing

Been getting bored of the bunker meta in pvp and started tooling around with a beserker build and having some pretty good success. I can see it getting shut down in the higher tiers but I'll never get there.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQRA...M92CGBgPYP7942cjuA-TZhHwADOCAAeAAHLDE4kAAa/BA

I think there are a few that similar but I couldn't find it on meta or on the warrior form.

Bull Charge --> Head Butt --> Zerk mode --> Flaming furry -> weapon swap -> shattering blow -> skull grinder. Squishies drop before that rotation but it will put a lot of pressure on others.
Body blow and distraction strikes keep a collection of condis to pressure rather than just burn damage (hence no king of flames talent)
20 seconds elite plus krait = amazing

Instead of sword / mace, wouldn't Hammer be a better option with its Knockdowns?
I guess you loose the mobility of #sword 2, but since when was off mace a thing for warriors?

Clearos

Instead of sword / mace, wouldn't Hammer be a better option with its Knockdowns?
I guess you loose the mobility of #sword 2, but since when was off mace a thing for warriors?

I'm showing it as Sword/Torch. Using Torch 5 to create a mobile fire field and sword 2 to engage and get a fire shield.

Proven

Mace is useful because it has lower cooldown interrupts than Hammer on average, and its Primal Burst deals condi damage even if you don't get an interrupt.

Espada

I just started playing this a few days ago and it's pretty fun. I've got a Norn Necromancer, it was rough at first but now I'm dodging bunnies while bringing their food to some guy.

Is there a better key for dodging than V? It's in a really awkward place, leading me to get clobbered in a battle while I search for the key.

Retro

I just started playing this a few days ago and it's pretty fun. I've got a Norn Necromancer, it was rough at first but now I'm dodging bunnies while bringing their food to some guy.

Is there a better key for dodging than V? It's in a really awkward place, leading me to get clobbered in a battle while I search for the key.

You can rebind it to anything; I use Left Shift because when I'm using WASD to move my pinky rests on it naturally. I hear mouse buttons are also popular.

I have it on one of my mouse's side buttons so I can hit it with my thumb. It feels more natural

Proven

I use Left Shift for dodge. Just be warned that pinging the map is hard coded to Shift and can't be rebinded afaik.

Edit: To be less redundant, when are we getting WvW XP enhancement? It'll also up our other enhancements to 10%.

Retro

I use Left Shift for dodge. Just be warned that pinging the map is hard coded to Shift and can't be rebinded afaik.

Edit: To be less redundant, when are we getting WvW XP enhancement? It'll also up our other enhancements to 10%.

Guild Upgrades are bugged; I unlocked a PVP upgrade to test it and we didn't gain any XP from it. I'm reluctant to unlock anything else because I'm worried it will screw up our XP later and we'll end up at like, Level 59 or whatever and never be able to reach the top level.

I reported it as a bug, who knows if they'll ever fix it. There's a few threads about it on the official forums but no dev response as usual.

There isn't a good way to get a ton of winter booze for the shoulders outside buying it on TP, is there? Man, really want those but I just don't see myself getting 10k in such a short time span. I didn't do Wintersday last year so not sure what doles out the most presents. Suggestions?

Off the top of my head, bell choir. Sanity doing that so much is another question though.

haha well I have to do three songs I think for the achievement so I'll see how I like it and how many bags it yields. Only tried Toypocalypse thus far and I'll definitely try the JP because I love JPs.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
There isn't a good way to get a ton of winter booze for the shoulders outside buying it on TP, is there? Man, really want those but I just don't see myself getting 10k in such a short time span. I didn't do Wintersday last year so not sure what doles out the most presents. Suggestions?

Grind the jp like I am doing

Still just double tap my movement keys (WASD) to dodge... lol

After over three years of it no point it trying to rebind it. Too much muscle memory.

Retro

Looks like the bug with guild XP has been fixed as of this latest patch (assuming it's actually fixed), so I'll look at turning on the WvW buff next. It requires kegs though, so it might be a bit.

Elfstruck

Easiest way to get gift right now is jp. I can get about 150 gifts/ 30 min .... so it will probably take a week if u guys want the shoulder.

Easiest way to get gift right now is jp. I can get about 150 gifts/ 30 min .... so it will probably take a week if u guys want the shoulder.

The money making potential is really great too. The 10k drink requirement is an amazing experiment in redistributing the wealth.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Got my first character to 80 today. Still so much to explore on the map. There are a lot of zones I haven't even stepped foot in.

Bought a flaming sword on the trading post for a couple gold. Back in my day if you wanted a flaming sword you had to do a 6 month long quest and not have a job or school obligations. Kids these days got it so easy.

spiritfox

Got my first character to 80 today. Still so much to explore on the map. There are a lot of zones I haven't even stepped foot in.

Bought a flaming sword on the trading post for a couple gold. Back in my day if you wanted a flaming sword you had to do a 6 month long quest and not have a job or school obligations. Kids these days got it so easy.

Go make a legendary if you want a 6 month long quest.

Proven

Last night I finally completed the first leg of my Path to Ascension. I even made sure I played the minimum each day so I wouldn't hit Sapphire before thee 15 days passed. If I can climb to Ruby before this season ends, it'll mean I can finish my Wings of Glory one season earlier even if I never see past Diamond in my life.

How's everyone else doing?

Quenk

Last night I finally completed the first leg of my Path to Ascension. I even made sure I played the minimum each day so I wouldn't hit Sapphire before thee 15 days passed. If I can climb to Ruby before this season ends, it'll mean I can finish my Wings of Glory one season earlier even if I never see past Diamond in my life.

I've played 6 ranked games...

Most of the way through Emerald, will probably hit Sapphire sometime before Christmas if I keep up my 3 a day. The only achievement I'm missing from the first set is the 15 days one. I missed a few days so I'm 5 or 6 away, I think...

Also, if you cross over to Sapphire before 15 days I think it counts anyways? The achievement is unlocked for me but not yet fulfilled. It was the same with the "Purchase Essence of X" and "throw Essence of X into the forge with a bunch of crap" achievements, those were unlocked and I eventually fulfilled them and it counted for credit.

I got the top of the page, might as well post this as a reminder. Secret Santa Gift Exchange is this Saturday, aka the day after tomorrow! Get your presents ready, and if you aren't able to make missions PLEASE make sure you send it out in advance so nobody goes sad and presentless that evening. We had one delinquent last year (but they aren't participating this year) and I would not like a repeat

★ Wintersday Events ★
☆ SECRET SANTA - SATURDAY, DECEMBER 19 ☆

Gift exchange: December 19, 2015 after missions (~10:30 PM EST)
Gift value MAXIMUM: 250 gems / 45 gold

We're doing another Secret Santa this year! After missions on Saturday, December 19, 2015 we will gather in the guild hall and mail our gifts to each other. If you're not able to attend missions that day for any reason, you may send your gift in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom