• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

With the upcoming update, 4 out of 5 Death Shroud abilities will now apply damaging conditions, although two of them will have to be traited in order to do so. Burning on Life Blast, Bleeds on Dark Path, Terror on Doom, and Torment on Tainted Shackles. I should be the one annoyed that the scales are tipping more towards condition friendly rather than power friendly.

Terror is wonderful, and I do like Life Transfer & Tainted Shackles but I've always found Life Blast & Dark Path underwhelming when I could be autoattacking with the (traited!) scepter and putting out just as many (traited!) bleeds as Dark Path while having access to all my other skills. Life Blast has just always been something to do if I have to stay in DS when I'm playing conditionmancer, which is 95% of the time.

Retro

Especially shitty sigils, so yes, buy EVERYTHING.

Or, you know, don't blow your entire load trying to capture a market that's basically being rebooted. What profit you'd make from having a ton of a hot new sigil would likely be undermined by the money you lost on less popular ones.

Ashodin

Or, you know, don't blow your entire load trying to capture a market that's basically being rebooted. What profit you'd make from having a ton of a hot new sigil would likely be undermined by the money you lost on less popular ones.

I'd go out and say I bet Superior Sigil of Water is getting fixed.

Moondrop

Banned
I'll be that guy: QQ for warrior healing signet nerf. I don't believe the campaign against it came from good players; both burst and condi specs can overcome 392 health/sec. Nevertheless, I used it before the buff and will continue to do so after the nerf. Fingers crossed for better healing power scaling.

Sidenote, I hopped in spvp with my warrior for my third daily match and was soundly defeated by the same individual ranger who I was just before destroying with my mesmer. Given the spectrum of possibilities:

A) I've recently become terrible with warrior,
B) I've recently become amazing with mesmer,
C) mesmers need to be nerfed hard, or
D) warriors need love,

I'm leaning toward (D). Perhaps the rune/sigil/amulet changes will allow warriors to find a new edge.

So I was in fact bottle-necked by the GPU:

Muahahaha
4q6vhXp.jpg

Arcteryx

Litany needs to be instant or grant stability, otherwise it'll always be worse than our other choices.

So hyped for double sigils! Wonder if I should just buy up a bunch of cheap shitty runes to gamble. Probably already lost that game though.

Probably a little late on that. I imagine most(including myself) bought in earlier in the week when the stream was announced. I made a stupid amount of gold off the Strength runes during the stream lol.

swnny

Some good changes in there.
Especially, I love the dhuumfire change (one less condition to deal when playing against a necro) and reducing the poison grenades duration should help against the condi meta.
The warrior's healing signet should be nerfed with at least double that (8%) amount. At it is now, it will go from 392 to 361, which is still almost twice as much then any other similar signet.

Didn't expect them to rework critical damage so much, but let's hope it's for the better. It never is good to be able to down someone with a single backstab, hundred blades or a fresh ele spike. But then again, there are some really powerful bunker builds on guards, engies and warriors (with the upcoming rollback on signet of restoration, even eles will be able to bunk points), so it will be interesting to see how we will deal with them, when pure dps builds are getting reduced with ~10% damage output.

And as I didn't catch the stream, how exactly this new ferocity system will work in PvP? Or it will be the same as in PvE/WvW?

Anno

Probably a little late on that. I imagine most(including myself) bought in earlier in the week when the stream was announced. I made a stupid amount of gold off the Strength runes during the stream lol.

Yeah that's what I figured. I so would've logged in at work to arbitrage that shit but I got called into some dumb meeting. Oh well.

Retro

The warrior's healing signet should be nerfed with at least double that (8%) amount. At it is now, it will go from 392 to 361, which is still almost twice as much then any other similar signet.

They mentioned during the stream that any lower and it simply becomes less effective than Healing Surge and would again be relegated to the back burner as before.

And as I didn't catch the stream, how exactly this new ferocity system will work in PvP? Or it will be the same as in PvE/WvW?

Supposedly little noticeable change; they will tweak the existing PVP stats to try and match what's going on in PVP already. They did say that it's not nearly the problem in PVP as it is in PVE and WvW.

Proven

Some good changes in there.
Especially, I love the dhuumfire change (one less condition to deal when playing against a necro) and reducing the poison grenades duration should help against the condi meta.

Didn't expect them to rework critical damage so much, but let's hope it's for the better. It never is good to be able to down someone with a single backstab, hundred blades or a fresh ele spike. But then again, there are some really powerful bunker builds on guards, engies and warriors (with the upcoming rollback on signet of restoration, even eles will be able to bunk points), so it will be interesting to see how we will deal with them, when pure dps builds are getting reduced with ~10% damage output.

It won't affect PvP all that much. The numbers should be about the same unless they really decide to pull things down. The 10% number was more for PvE, where there are a number of gear pieces (especially on jewelry) that gave slightly more crit damage in ratio to the other stats.

swnny

I see, thanks for the clarification!
The PvE sure needs a change in regards to Critical Damage and I'm glad they are looking into it.

What did you change to?
I took advantage of the cryptocurrency mining mania and sold my 7950 on eBay for a pretty penny, then put that towards a 780Ti. Make no mistake, my fps still drops to the low 20s in LA and 30 in the Grove, but now I get very, very smooth supersampled 60 fps in non-meta PvE. I've definitely noticed less frame latency spikes despite adding on supersampling. Supersampled 60 fps (plus chroma 4:4:4 now works on my TV) is a damn thing of beauty.

I've hit 100% GPU load with the 7950; with the more powerful card I've seen 93% load. GW2, unoptimized as it is, will still take what it can get from the GPU despite being CPU-dependent.

Proven

So I went to sleep (was sick), went to sleep, woke up a little bit ago and jumped onto Blu's stream where I see Grouch.

Apparently, Deceptive Evasion isn't meant to be so harshly nerfed. They aren't going to make it "only creates a clone when at 0 clones," but instead, "doesn't create a clone when at 3 clones." They're only looking to target the Blackwater/Prismatic Understanding builds that rely on causing clone death procs through it.

The discussion after the money quote supports the second statement, but that quote has been spread far and wide.

Grouch's first step: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/mesmer/Deceptive-Evasion-nerf/3512400

I took advantage of the cryptocurrency mining mania and sold my 7950 on eBay for a pretty penny, then put that towards a 780Ti. Make no mistake, my fps still drops to the low 20s in LA and 30 in the Grove, but now I get very, very smooth supersampled 60 fps in non-meta PvE. I've definitely noticed less frame latency spikes despite adding on supersampling. Supersampled 60 fps (plus chroma 4:4:4 now works on my TV) is a damn thing of beauty.

I've hit 100% GPU load with the 7950; with the more powerful card I've seen 93% load. GW2, unoptimized as it is, will still take what it can get from the GPU despite being CPU-dependent.

Nice. The switch to Nvidia probably did more than the bump up the generations. My friend as an ATI Crossfire of the same generation as my 560s, and can't get half the framerate I do, with nearly the same specs. I can't wait for the day GW2 runs 60fps locked everywhere.

I've been playing more GW1 than 2, so I have like no GW2 shots now, just these from GW1. Still a good-looking game in places:

Kkf8qxP.jpg

QOJGq3Y.jpg

The biggest gaming difference my Titan made from my previous graphics card was making it so that Supersampling didn't affect my FPS at all. It was glorious to realize that. Ultra Shadows will still make certain performance issues stick around, though.

The Titan is basically godmode when it comes to video editing and scrubbing HD video, but I love what it does with games too.

Looks like a bunch of SBI guilds have an agreement to really try and do the next Scarlet Invasion event, whenever it happens.

If you want to try it I guess you have to be on now and just do whatever till it pops.

Proven

Looks like a bunch of SBI guilds have an agreement to really try and do the next Scarlet Invasion event, whenever it happens.

If you want to try it I guess you have to be on now and just do whatever till it pops.

I would but...

Bloodytech is having a 6v6 tournament starting now: http://www.twitch.tv/bloodytech

Although twitch is lagging on me enough that I might just watch the VOD afterward. This is one of those times where I wished they got those chat APIs finished.

Proven

Didn't twitch recently put a 60s delay in all streams?

It goes beyond that. Streams have constantly been buffering during NA prime time for the past several months. During the Speed Runners Against Cancer stream it was insufferable because it had stuttering and buffering as bad as on the weekends on the weekdays too. The worst part is that after a certain amount of buffering, it'll just skip ahead and try to sync back up, which then leads to more buffering...

Edit: I forgot how bad it could be because the last several tournaments I've watched have all been during EU prime time. This is frustrating.

Shiokazu

i wont be joining today.

i got that new laptop i was waiting for, so... i'll be transferring my files and stuff and downloading guild wars 2 there too.

but for tomorrow i'll be up.

i was also going to ask if the people with alts in process of leveling, around the lv 20 would be interested in leveling together, just for the lulz.

Nice. The switch to Nvidia probably did more than the bump up the generations. My friend as an ATI Crossfire of the same generation as my 560s, and can't get half the framerate I do, with nearly the same specs. I can't wait for the day GW2 runs 60fps locked everywhere.
I think the issue is specifically with Crossfire multimonitor these days. AMD has taken strides last year to really improve single display frame latencies. I remember a January 2013 AMD driver update that specifically addressed GW2 frame latencies and it went well. I was overall quite pleased with the 7950 and would've gotten the R9 290x if it weren't for the inflated prices. Tech Report has a nice page on the recent frame timings for 1440p GW2 and both AMD and Nvidia do well:

68NPWg8.gif

SpzdBQl.gif

If anything I should've looked more into the 780 non-Ti version but as I was already at this tier in GPU hierarchy I said "#$% it, YOLO." lol

I too await the day for locked 60 fps everywhere. That is my endgame.

The biggest gaming difference my Titan made from my previous graphics card was making it so that Supersampling didn't affect my FPS at all. It was glorious to realize that.
The 7950 would make the screen go black for a split second if I switched around Native and Supersampling. The 780Ti just treats the option like any other option on that settings window, freely changing between the two samplings without a care. Plus now I don't have a black screen flicker on my loading screens between maps.

Ultra Shadows will still make certain performance issues stick around, though.
But oh so worth it
High shadows
YY8WBQA.jpg

Ultra shadows
sAEfrLf.jpg

Which tab do you set the ForceRefreshRate?
I think it's under the Advanced tab. Probably redundant on my part, though, since you can already limit frame rate in the in-game settings.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
A small of update on skill lag and server optimizations

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...g-and-server-optimizations/page/3#post3516573

Quick update:

Happy new year everyone! Now that we’re back from holiday vacations, we’ve got more improvements that’ll be rolling out soon. A handful of client improvements will also be making their way (soon hopefully), that should see a drastic memory usage drop and client frame-rate improvements, especially for lower-end hardware.

I’ll make sure to update once I have a better idea of what release you can start seeing these changes trickle in.

-Bill

Retro

Grats to Verin Darkfang on the 10g Door prize, Kos Luftar on the special Bonus Door Prize, a Celestial Dye courtesy of Hythloday, and Jaz Modoc on the 174 Jackpot, which included a special surprise bonus, a key for Assassin's Creed IV, thanks to Varix (Jesta of GAF).

Ridiculous amounts of gold getting won each week, but remember, you can't win unless you buy in! Jaz even won on a single ticket purchase! 1g per ticket, 5 tickets maximum!

Shiokazu

Grats to Verin Darkfang on the 10g Door prize, Kos Luftar on the special Bonus Door Prize, a Celestial Dye courtesy of Hythloday, and Jaz Modoc on the 174 Jackpot, which included a special surprise bonus, a key for Assassin's Creed IV, thanks to Varix (Jesta of GAF).

Ridiculous amounts of gold getting won each week, but remember, you can't win unless you buy in! Jaz even won on a single ticket purchase! 1g per ticket, 5 tickets maximum!

WTF YOU EVEN GET TO GET NEW GAMES.

BY JUST ONE GOLD.

gXSzqMa.gif

neogaf

best guild

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks again to Varix and Hytholday for the awesome bonus prizes, and to everyone for a great turnout in general. Our Puzzle especially was one of our most efficient tears through Proxemics Lab, and we hunted Trekksa as an extra bounty with a minute to spare!

These lottos have been nuts, big thanks to everybody who has helped out with contributions and just buying in. Next weekend I may be on babysitting duty again so it might have to be pushed, but I'll see about finding another bonus prize for the weekend after as that was a lot of fun. Except that Kos won it. :)

Retro

Winning a free game isn't so great when you realize GW2 soaks up so much gaming time there's none left for anything else.

Embarrassingly, and perhaps because I typically care little about stats and such, until now I hadn't noticed the glaringly obvious disadvantage of two-handers regarding the whole sigil thing. It's such an evident issue that now I can't believe I missed it. It's hard to imagine this has gone on unchecked for a year and a half, though. Was it such a blind spot for ArenaNet as well? This solution seems simple, elegant and perfectly balanced (unlike in WoW where two-handers were not immediately equivalent to dual wielding or 1h+shield, therefore necessitating their own enchantment category and such).

This idea is now such common vernacular in gaming that it's tough to imagine a time when this hook didn't exist, but indeed, this was an addition to early gaming designed to artificially extend the lifespan of gameplay. An easy example is to look at Castlevania 1 vs. Castlevania 2. Castlevania 1 does not contain vertical progression of any kind. It is extremely fucking hard, but your character's strength does not change from the first moment of the game to the last boss. Thus if played straight through without any issues progressing (good luck with that), the game is barely 25 minutes long. Castlevania 2 on the other hand has you improving your character in all manner of ways. Better weapons, stronger attacks- by the end of the game, your strength far exceeds what it was at the beginning. Correspondingly, the game itself is easier and less demanding in terms of skill- but "lasts" for 2 hours or more in a straight playthrough.

I know this post is from four days ago, which in terms of this thread's speed might as well be four years ago, but I just saw it now and it's such a perfect, elegant example of "progression" versus learning that I have to take my hat off. As I mentioned before, I've been giving this a lot of thought ever since getting hooked to roguevariants.

Also on the topic of slowpoke.gif, that article Retro linked about Chinese game design sensibilities, ugh. It definitely did not make my current gastric distress any better.

Retro

Will we do missions today too? Like last week?

Make-ups are at 3pm Eastern every Sunday, attendance permitting. If we don't have at least 12 people, we usually can't get a puzzle or challenge done unless we luck out and get the Snowden puzzle and/or Skritt challenge.

That article Retro linked about Chinese game design sensibilities, ugh. It definitely did not make my current gastric distress any better.

Sorry. It's pretty scary stuff, I think I grabbed the most alarming quotes but the whole thing is kind of stomach turning. I'm not trying to be racist / xenophobic / nationalistic here, but I really really really hope the rest of the world snuffs out the Chinese game development market before it has a chance to grow and spread. That kind of sensibility is like EA on steroids.

Now that I think about it - anyone here play the TP for hardcore flipping/investing? I'm too stupid with numbers to even try, but I might have money to invest.

Heh, if anything I wish Anet would use MORE of my available memory. I have 8 GB, use all of it with 64bit! Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't more memory usage help with pop-in situations?

Just minding my own business, doing some local trading at a Lionguard haven in eastern Snowden Drifts...(btw Peck is also rich, but has he ever donated to the lottery?)
GtzTdJb.jpg

Where that barrel come from? Sotzz, that you?
gkwezpV.jpg

Oh, just a chest. Must be hallucinating from 20 yards away.
smGoQgj.jpg

The distance required to prevent pop-in.
gcRkXym.jpg

It all comes back to that damn culling system they use. The rest of the engine really is fine, quite good in fact if you wanna get technical about how the map structure works - but that damn culling. It's slow, inaccurate, and relies far too much on CPU.

It all comes back to that damn culling system they use. The rest of the engine really is fine, quite good in fact if you wanna get technical about how the map structure works - but that damn culling. It's slow, inaccurate, and relies far too much on CPU.
This example stuck out to me as I have line of sight and the distance is quite small.

Remfin

I don't think that's "pop-in", that's their LOS or grid or whatever systems misbehaving. Back when chests dropped for greens(?) and you sometimes had a gazillion of them, you'd shift one step and half of them would disappear, and those all used the same graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom