• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Bounty Success (Crusader Michele), Challenge fail (Crab Toss with 20 seconds left to go).

The Langmar puzzle was almost done, but too many people moved down to the bottom floor and there was only one person on the second to keep the gears running. We were basically at the last door and ran out of time. We only had 13 people, which is really about the minimum number I like to have for puzzles, so that was kinda tight.

We ended up piggy-backing RISE's spider rush, and I think a few people managed to get through but it was the usual clusterfuck.

Thanks for everyone who volunteered to help out and get commendations for folks who couldn't make it last night, it's always appreciated.

You betcha

i93Gq4FJjKOFI.jpg
That miniature dolyak is a calf with an updated model? It'd be awesome if they could update all the other dolyak calves in the world. A proper model for young Charr would be nice, too.

From neogaf games of the year post.
MMO Game of the Year: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn = 98 points, 4 honorable mentions
2. Marvel Heroes = 11 points
3. Eve Online: Rubicon = 3 points
4. Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost: Prelude = 3 points
5. Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

Why only flame and frost?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bounty Success (Crusader Michele), Challenge fail (Crab Toss with 20 seconds left to go).

The Langmar puzzle was almost done, but too many people moved down to the bottom floor and there was only one person on the second to keep the gears running. We were basically at the last door and ran out of time. We only had 13 people, which is really about the minimum number I like to have for puzzles, so that was kinda tight.

We ended up piggy-backing RISE's spider rush, and I think a few people managed to get through but it was the usual clusterfuck.

Thanks for everyone who volunteered to help out and get commendations for folks who couldn't make it last night, it's always appreciated.
sorry I couldn't make it this afternoon :( 20 seconds on the Crab Toss is brutal!

Pardon the screenshot splurge, but I had a good day:

The Queen's totally pimp crib:

ib1zUw5EW40eFV.jpg

My new Guardian with a friend's Mesmer:

iRApDBT7OnoDJ.jpg

Solo shot of my Guardian:

iboVxaJoKBv1vx.jpg

Frostgorge champ train:

ibfW8RjiUdMlwk.jpg

Burning all the things:

ibvsM6yfZWZwBk.jpg

Retro

Why only flame and frost?

It's possible people didn't understand that the Living Story isn't just the prelude?. Still, not bad taking 4th place when the game didn't come out this year.

Edit: G'damn Miktar. That last shot looks like One Engineer vs. The World.

Retro

So I was trolling around Caledon Forest on my brand spankin' new Ranger, doing the Morgan's Spiral jumping puzzle (for no reason other than because it was there) and as I'm getting to the end I notice there's a dead player on my mini-map. I figured whoever it was would probably just release, but as I dropped down into the Dark Reverie section, he was still there, at the bottom of the puzzle. When I made my way down and got close, I whispered "I'm coming, if I can get through to you," partially to see if he was AFK before I picked my way through the mobs to revive him. His response was "unexpected, thanks. But don't get yourself killed on account of me."

I carefully got him up between the patrols that wander around down there, we took down the Veteran and started up into the jumping puzzle section. We were both at a disadvantage since I'm finally rolling a norn and he was on a charr. Midway up, he stops and says "ack.... crying child." I didn't have anywhere to go and we were right at the tricky part of the puzzle where you need to jump to the stem rather than the mushroom (which is just above where I'd found him). So I just sat down and sorted my inventory and yuk'd it up in guild chat until he got back.

He was surprised I waited, but I figured he'd be right back. We made the tricky jump and finished up the puzzle, he said thanks and that he'd add me as a contact but had to go.

I dunno why this is worth posting other than it's a nice story of bumping into people randomly in a low level zone and having fun with an absolute stranger in a game that's supposedly dead. Every other MMO's logic says another person is a drag on your advancement, be it quest mobs / items or just raw XP, and that's assuming I was playing a class that was able to revive him in the first place.

Retro

Also, 1:39 am on the east coast and I'm in Caledon, probably the least popular starting area, and I'm bumping into people everywhere. I don't get the people who (seriously) claim the game is dying or that the worlds are empty. Every server's population is back up to high or full again.

Edit: Enjoying Ranger-ing a bit more than I did on my last two attempts. It seems to be clicking now. It probably helps that I went and bought some decent-looking armor and boosted to 20. Probably not going to replace my main any time soon (if Engineer, Thief and Guardian haven't, I dunno what will) but so far it's fun. I also have a necromancer, but I'm waiting for Xeris to come home and give me some pointers.

Grayman

A few months after launch it seemed like a lot of zones were empty but now it seems like people are out in the world more. The daily mission and kill achievements probably help some.

Jira

A few months after launch it seemed like a lot of zones were empty but now it seems like people are out in the world more. The daily mission and kill achievements probably help some.

This is really an issue that no MMO has managed to fix completely. ANet has taken steps in helping with the issue through champs having better loot, Ascended mats dropping from many areas of the game, Living Story content being in different areas of the world every 2 weeks, etc. The issues stems from the fact that the bulk of the population are all at level 80 with some alts or new players making there way there but no game has managed to figure out a way to get people EVERYWHERE all hours of the day for many different reasons and consistently. I do know they are working on a solution to this and it is one of their goals to try to fix.

Make every world/meta event (the ones that are not tied to world boss) in the world have a daily drop of 20 silk scraps and you'll get people on every map.

Good dungeon runs last night. I'm happy to see you guys are almost up to my level of expertise.

Vyrance

Sorry to you arah 2 guys for having to leave last night :-( that boss was so frustrating lol. Definitely want to get revenge though!

Would be super duper awesome if ANET decided to release the update today instead of waiting tomorrow as a bonus, or at least do it right at midnight.

Wonder why we never got that release page. Keeping the mystery alive?

Hope we keep getting release pages like we used to. According to all the recent interviews, things are changing with the way living story is being released so who knows maybe the release pages will not be updated the same way.

Complistic

Make every world/meta event (the ones that are not tied to world boss) in the world have a daily drop of 20 silk scraps and you'll get people on every map.

Until silk prices plummet then you're right back where you started. I've always thought there needs to be a bounty on events that have gone a long time uncompleted. If somethings getting completed often, then keep the reward about where it is now. If somethings gone an hour or so since the last completion, make the reward 20s. With a few reward levels in between. That way people are actively getting out there and trying to find those rarely done events. I'd up the magic find on rarely killed enemies in a similar way, instead of just giving bonus xp.

Retro

Good dungeon runs last night. I'm happy to see you guys are almost up to my level of expertise.

You mean your level of discriminating palate, as you've sampled so many different flavors of dungeon floor.

I've always thought there needs to be a bounty on events that have gone a long time uncompleted. If somethings getting completed often, then keep the reward about where it is now. If somethings gone an hour or so since the last completion, make the reward 20s. With a few reward levels in between. That way people are actively getting out there and trying to find those rarely done events. I'd up the magic find on rarely killed enemies in a similar way, instead of just giving bonus xp.

At one point we were talking in mumble and came up with the idea of "mini-bounties" where an enemy that hasn't been killed in a while starts leaving golden footprints behind. These eventually start to appear away from the enemy (since it's not actually moving around the map), pointing in the general direction in which you would find the next footprint or the enemy itself.

Basically you'd be out exploring the world, stumbling on these sparkling footprints and having to track the enemy down by following them back to the source. The reward would need to be fairly substantial (I think we talked about it being laurels), and there would always be that sense that someone might get there before you (so maybe the footprints themselves would have some kind of reward so you're not completely screwed).

/shrug

I'm just glad to have 2 level 80s decently geared (Elementalist and Warrior) so I can focus more on content than leveling. Looking forward to it.

For what it's worth, they usually uplevel you to 80 for Living Story content. Not sure how it will work with the marionette being in Lornar's Pass and the wurm in Bloodtide Coast though, as they probably won't make the entire zone upscale.

th3dude

For what it's worth, they usually uplevel you to 80 for Living Story content. Not sure how it will work with the marionette being in Lornar's Pass and the wurm in Bloodtide Coast though, as they probably won't make the entire zone upscale.

Yea, I haven't had too much trouble, but there's just something liberating about not worrying about leveling all the time. Now I feel like I can run all of the dungeons, world bosses, etc without worry (as long as friendly GAF-Guild is willing to hold my hand on some things :p).

Are we expecting a big patch/release this time? Haven't heard much hype lately.

Edit: Er, nevermind, I'm a dumbass: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...w-of-guild-wars-2s-origin-of-madness-release/

I'm just glad to have 2 level 80s decently geared (Elementalist and Warrior) so I can focus more on content than leveling. Looking forward to it.

Adventurers are great at ignoring warning labels in favor of examining brightly lit objects, so we're willing to bet that most of you also touched them and received a sharp, painful correction. After climbing slowly to your feet, picking debris out of unmentionable places, and recovering your dignity, you may have wondered exactly what those probes are for.

It would be awesome if there was some minor and funny repercussion for doing this. I've touched a few of them...

Until silk prices plummet then you're right back where you started. I've always thought there needs to be a bounty on events that have gone a long time uncompleted. If somethings getting completed often, then keep the reward about where it is now. If somethings gone an hour or so since the last completion, make the reward 20s. With a few reward levels in between. That way people are actively getting out there and trying to find those rarely done events. I'd up the magic find on rarely killed enemies in a similar way, instead of just giving bonus xp.
This would suck for new players who end up doing Shadow Behemoth but get shitty/zero rewards because people do it all the time. You could also get people yelling at each other to not do events so the bonus could be increased or whatever.

th3dude

Yeah man, for sure. I can try to be around tonight if you're going to be. It is all dependent on the baby's mood however...lol.

Totally understand. I feel like my schedule is up in the air every night too without a baby around, lol. I'll probably try to jump on the PC side tonight. Haven't touched the PC all weekend.

This would suck for new players who end up doing Shadow Behemoth but get shitty/zero rewards because people do it all the time. You could also get people yelling at each other to not do events so the bonus could be increased or whatever.

Agree that there is a huge chance that something like that would be exploited, but I like the concept in general. Sort of like how mobs give more XP if they haven't been killed for a long time. Perhaps like a chance at rarer loot, or something.

Proven

So I was trolling around Caledon Forest on my brand spankin' new Ranger, doing the Morgan's Spiral jumping puzzle (for no reason other than because it was there) and as I'm getting to the end I notice there's a dead player on my mini-map. I figured whoever it was would probably just release, but as I dropped down into the Dark Reverie section, he was still there, at the bottom of the puzzle. When I made my way down and got close, I whispered "I'm coming, if I can get through to you," partially to see if he was AFK before I picked my way through the mobs to revive him. His response was "unexpected, thanks. But don't get yourself killed on account of me."

I carefully got him up between the patrols that wander around down there, we took down the Veteran and started up into the jumping puzzle section. We were both at a disadvantage since I'm finally rolling a norn and he was on a charr. Midway up, he stops and says "ack.... crying child." I didn't have anywhere to go and we were right at the tricky part of the puzzle where you need to jump to the stem rather than the mushroom (which is just above where I'd found him). So I just sat down and sorted my inventory and yuk'd it up in guild chat until he got back.

He was surprised I waited, but I figured he'd be right back. We made the tricky jump and finished up the puzzle, he said thanks and that he'd add me as a contact but had to go.

I dunno why this is worth posting other than it's a nice story of bumping into people randomly in a low level zone and having fun with an absolute stranger in a game that's supposedly dead. Every other MMO's logic says another person is a drag on your advancement, be it quest mobs / items or just raw XP, and that's assuming I was playing a class that was able to revive him in the first place.

Every time I attempt that jumping puzzle I bump into someone and get a story. Sadly, out of three times I think I only finished the second half once. My favorite time was playing early morning and running into a Korean guy and having to use emotes for partial communication.

It would be awesome if there was some minor and funny repercussion for doing this. I've touched a few of them...

People did try to find out. If you touched the probes too much, you'd immediately die.

Retro

About meeting other random people, it's funny how it pretty much always happens with Jumping Puzzles.

I've noticed in articles and reviews that they're starting to use that term even in non-MMOs. Really, whoever came up with the idea of including them in GW2 deserves a raise or two. It reinforces the action-oriented gameplay and exploration aspect. There's literally no part of jumping puzzles that's a wrong fit for this game.

Proven

I've noticed in articles and reviews that they're starting to use that term even in non-MMOs. Really, whoever came up with the idea of including them in GW2 deserves a raise or two. It reinforces the action-oriented gameplay and exploration aspect. There's literally no part of jumping puzzles that's a wrong fit for this game.

And I still hate the term. For most of them, they're jumping challenges, not puzzles.

And I still hate the term. For most of them, they're jumping challenges, not puzzles.
I think they use that term because (at least in the ones I did till now, which aren't a lot actually) the problem is sometimes actually knowing where to go, rather than actually doing it. I know some of them are harder to execute, I'm just saying.
The real reason is probably that it sounded cooler this way ú_ú

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom