• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose and Slash are back on good terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruets

What's the full story of their feud?

Or at least a cliffnotes version? A classic money/fame/power creating a rift story or was it something different?

Axl hates slash cause he left guns n roses. Slash was the one member of GnR axl would never be able to replace.

It's an android phone with focus on audio quality and music playing capabilities, like a physical volume control wheel. I think it was designed by some former Nokia folks.

Guns N' Roses reunion would be pretty interesting thing. Chinese Democracy was not that bad, but Slash's last two albums were actually really good. If they combine their efforts they may still be capable of doing an album as good as one of the Use Your Illusions.

I thought side 1 of Chinese Democracy was better than Use Your Illusion. The second half was more experimental and uneven, but had a few good tracks. You're right, combine the good stuff of CD with Slash and we could have something really great.

This bodes well for the members of Slash's band and Guns and Roses 2.0.

Guns 2.0 fell apart who knows how long ago. Supposedly Bumblefoot left over a year ago, but won't straight up admit it 'cause he's been asked not to for now. And DJ Ashba announced he was gone a month or so ago 'cause he wants to focus on Sixx AM.

It's pretty weird that Bumblefoot won't admit he's been gone for so long, but Ashba had no problem putting out a press release about it. Who knows what the fuck is going on in Axl land. Important to point out that that quote in OP from Slash about being open to a Guns reunion is months old, and obviously nothing official has come of it yet.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Or at least a cliffnotes version? A classic money/fame/power creating a rift story or was it something different?
Axl Rose is a little (or more than a little) crazy; kept making lots of demands of the other people in the bad, management, etc., who kept giving in; decided that anyone that didn't want to give him exactly what he wanted at all times was a bad person.

That's the impression I got watching some documentaries and reading some books and magazine articles. Plus:

Axl hates slash cause he left guns n roses. Slash was the one member of GnR axl would never be able to replace.
Basically.

Rest

Now they need to get Adler in their good graces.

Steven Adler never wanted to be out of Guns 'N' Roses. Everything I've read about him for the last ten years has been about him trying to get back into the band. Another stint in rehab for heroine addiction has also been mentioned each and every time. Since his drug addled inability to perform is what got him kicked out in the first place, I'm not sure it's ever going to go the way he wants.

Edit: Double post, meant to edit. Oh well.

Axl has a lot of issues, clearly. The dude believes he was molested by his father when he was two because of recovered memories while going through past life therapy. So, yeah... Take someone who has issues and throw in all the money and fame the world has to offer, and it's not surprising the results aren't great.

Once GnR got huge, he convinced the rest of the band to sign their rights to the band away under threat of ending the group. They all did, and he went full on crazy rock star taking control of everything. How they didn't see that coming, who knows. Probably 'cause they were doing mountains of drugs.

The final straw that got Slash out of the band (according to his book) was Axl wanted a buddy to record some extra guitar stuff for You Could Be Mine from Terminator 2. Slash didn't want that, but then when he heard the final version of the song, it had guitar parts he didn't record. So, he got pissed and left.

Kev Kev

Just saw Miles Kennedy and The Conspirators at Earthday Birthday in Orlando earlier this year. I was mainly there for Five Finger Death Punch (one of my absolute favorite bands currently, yeah yeah I now, hate me, I don't care), Rise Against and Sevendust (who actually got added on last minute because Bush couldn't make it.... Uhh, FUCK YES!!!).

But hearing those classic GNR songs live was hands down the highlight of the show. Every person in the crowd losing their shit when the first few notes of Sweet Child were played was a moment I will never forget (I never got to see GNR so this was the closest I'll ever get). The vibes were amazing. I've never seen so many people having that much fun and being that happy all at one time. Only wish I could've seen the original act.

The final straw that got Slash out of the band (according to his book) was Axl wanted a buddy to record some extra guitar stuff for You Could Be Mine from Terminator 2. Slash didn't want that, but then when he heard the final version of the song, it had guitar parts he didn't record. So, he got pissed and left.

But he left 5 years after the song was released? They actually wrote the song during Appetite sessions, so I think it was pretty ready when they recorded it for Use Your Illusion.

darknemus

But he left 5 years after the song was released? They actually wrote the song during Appetite sessions, so I think it was pretty ready when they recorded it for Use Your Illusion.

Actually, the recording you're referring to is "Sympathy For The Devil" (The Rolling Stones cover) - Slash wasn't anywhere near happy that Paul 'Huge' Tobias was brought in to essentially re-record his guitar parts right on top of Slash's original work. Although I can't remember the exact quote, Slash has said something along the lines of "In that song you can hear the breakup of Guns n' Roses"

Actually, the recording you're referring to is "Sympathy For The Devil" (The Rolling Stones cover) - Slash wasn't anywhere near happy that Paul 'Huge' Tobias was brought in to essentially re-record his guitar parts right on top of Slash's original work. Although I can't remember the exact quote, Slash has said something along the lines of "In that song you can hear the breakup of Guns n' Roses"

Okay, that makes more sense :) I never thought about it too much, but that cover didn't really sound like GNR. Usually when they did covers they made them sound like they were GNR songs.

PillarEN

The best thing would be for the UYI lineup to return (With Izzy of course). I love Steven Adler's drum sound on Appetite but I would find it weird with him behind the kit playing Illusions stuff.

Rest

Axl and Slash came be on good terms all they want. They're still never ever ever ever ever touring again.

The second they get back on stage together it'll be a disaster and they'll go back to hating each other again.

Here's a really grainy video of them playing together

Gilmour's also popped up on Roger's The Wall tour occasionally.

I've honestly never read a quote of Slash saying anything bad about Axl. I think most of the animosity came from one side.

The best thing would be for the UYI lineup to return (With Izzy of course). I love Steven Adler's drum sound on Appetite but I would find it weird with him behind the kit playing Illusions stuff.

Umm I am pretty sure he can't play anymore. Adler can bearly talk. Say no to drugs kids.

Myles will be recording a new Alter Bridge album next year, and just finished his own solo album, so it looks like now is the perfect time for Slash to do some side project like GnR.

Glass Joe

That would be amazing but Axl will probably wake up in a bad mood tomorrow and prevent this from happening for another decade.

Xyber

While it might be cool if they do a little reunion tour, Axl's voice just isn't good anymore IMO and I would not want any new music from them.

I much prefer Miles Kennedy together with Slash over Axl right now, even if he isn't as good as Axl was back in the day.

That would be amazing but Axl will probably wake up in a bad mood tomorrow and prevent this from happening for another decade.

Yeah, after reading both Slash and McKagen's books (funny since I'm not a big fan of GnR at all) they make it sound like Axl is pretty fragile mentally. Duff in particular is interesting because he felt like he left on good terms, pretty much just walking away during a time of long inactivity for the band, only to have Axl start talking shit about him in the press out of nowhere.

Of course, I'm sure Axl has a different take on it all than they do. But, he reminds me of a Raylan quote from Justified: "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

There were all sorts of rumors the past 2 weeks about the two getting back together(Axl and Slash). Is it true guys? Will we finally have a reunited Guns n Roses?

Sulik2

There were all sorts of rumors the past 2 weeks about the two getting back together(Axl and Slash). Is it true guys? Will we finally have a reunited Guns n Roses?

I thought they announced they were playing Coachella. I am excited thats for sure. GnR is an amazing band.

Blackheim

stuminus3

Oh it's that band that released one of the greatest rock albums of all time in 1987 then ceased to exist and did nothing after that. Cool!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I don't think we'll hear from Izzy. Drugs apparently took their toll on Steven, nice guy, but it would be hard to have him back.

Still, it's great to have Slash and Duff back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom