• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guns of Fury : a tribute to metal slug and castlevania

saintjules

Gold Member
Was that fucking Rolento in the trailer?

Cool looking game for sure. And some of the soundtrack reminds me of the old SNES days. Feels like a bit of carbon copy because it looks quite close to Metal Slug's DNA, but I'll definitely give it a try.

Last edited:
The Simpsons Beer GIF

cireza

A lot of work put into ripping-off two known series. I guess that if you want to get some sales, you don't really have any other choice...

Last edited:
Total disservice yea because the game is really cool. I bought it on deep sale once after reading about it as a "wait no it's actually great" curiosity.

I was/am a fan of the developer WayForward, which is probably the only reason I knew about it.
The did an Aliens one on the 3ds that was great, but sadly I think it’s stuck on that dead system.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda cool at a surface level, but the appeal of Metal Slug was its airtight level design and rock solid mechanics. This looks like a cheap imitation on both fronts.

KaiserBecks

I remember being hyped for „Mercenary Kings” and that game was utterly disappointing. Metal Slug like sprite style is always nice, but this doesn’t really impress me. If anything it shows how insanely creative the art in Metal Slug was.

Moochi

Yes, classic Metal Slug always appealed to me, but the stage gameplay didnt. This looks awesome (except the basic run animation)

Merkades

OK, this looks really fun. Though this reminds me that I need to get back to TEVI plus I just bought Fortune Hunter: Erza's Wheel of Fortune. Ah well, good times.

Part of me wants to buy the fuck out of it and another part wants to bash it for being yet another brazen "retro" ripoff.
This looks like a cheap imitation on both fronts.
A lot of work put into ripping-off two known series. I guess that if you want to get some sales, you don't really have any other choice...
Question for you all: How much sprite work would a dev have to do avoid these types of comments?

When the objective is making a game because they really liked another game, where does the line lie between disinterest to interest?

cireza

Question for you all: How much sprite work would a dev have to do avoid these types of comments?

When the objective is making a game because they really liked another game, where does the line lie between disinterest to interest?
This is the wrong question to ask. More sprite work will not avoid comments. The sprite work, and overall pixel-art, here is already insane. Which personally, as someone who makes humble games and already spend months making pixel-art for an 8 bits console, can't help but think that if all of this time had been spent in making something entirely new, we might have had a great game to discover.

Here, it feels like you won't be really surprised by anything, pretty low risk in a way. But don't get the developer wrong. They are doing this because they know this is the correct path to get sales. Which is the sad picture of modern video-games. If you want to make a living, or at least earn some money, then you can't really do what you want to. You need to make something largely inspired by existing games. Otherwise good luck getting some attention.

Last edited:

We should ask devs like this where the line between inspiration and plagiarism lies. This discussion has been going on in music for eternity, in any art. Just because you put in tons of work to learn to play the guitar doesn't mean you'd get a pat on the back if you were to, for example, copy a Beatles song front to back.

At the end of the day it's personal preference and like I said, I'm always torn between finding this kind of thing artistically bankrupt but loving the originals to the point of wanting to play a lesser facsimile.

This is the wrong question to ask. More sprite work will not avoid comments. The sprite work, and overall pixel-art, here is already insane. Which personally, as someone who makes humble games and already spend months making pixel-art for an 8 bits console, can't help but think that if all of this time had been spent in making something entirely new, we might have had a great game to discover.

Here, it feels like you won't be really surprised by anything, pretty low risk in a way. But don't get the developer wrong. They are doing this because they know this is the correct path to get sales. Which is the sad picture of modern video-games. If you want to make a living, or at least earn some money, then you can't really do what you want to. You need to make something largely inspired by existing games. Otherwise good luck getting some attention.
We should ask devs like this where the line between inspiration and plagiarism lies. This discussion has been going on in music for eternity, in any art. Just because you put in tons of work to learn to play the guitar doesn't mean you'd get a pat on the back if you were to, for example, copy a Beatles song front to back.

At the end of the day it's personal preference and like I said, I'm always torn between finding this kind of thing artistically bankrupt but loving the originals to the point of wanting to play a lesser facsimile.
It's not that they need more sprite art, it's that it feels very generic. They could've worked with the color palettes to give it more of a unique feel and make it a little less flat. I don't expect them to match the sheer amount of animation and attention to detail that Metal Slug had, but the game still needs some personality. But ultimately, the spritework isn't a particularly big complaint here - it's that the gameplay clearly doesn't have the level of polish or nuance it needs to stand out.
The problem with the GAF dream of wanting every single modern project to be unique in some way is that 100+ games release per year. Hell I think there might have been 200+ games alone shown during this year’s Summer Games Fest.

Realistically, a large percentage of those games are not going to be unique. It’s an impossibility, statistically.

Quite a few of them will be inspired and some will even be attempting to act as a ‘spiritual successor entry’ to a beloved franchise. If anything, it’s always more of a shock when a beloved older property barely has any spiritual successors or games inspired from it.

That’s why I’m trying to figure out where the line lies for people, because the idea of ‘the game must always be unique’ feels like a ‘have your cake and eat it too’ situation when it comes to modern day video games.

Technically, this simple genre mash could be considered their one ‘unique idea’ and when this game releases, if it looks good, is designed good, and plays good, is that realistically good enough?

Last edited:
When was the last fully new Metal Slug game anyways? 2008, on the DS? If SNK doesn't want to make any new games, no issue with someone else making an "inspired by".

Danny Dudekisser

It's not that they need more sprite art, it's that it feels very generic. They could've worked with the color palettes to give it more of a unique feel and make it a little less flat. I don't expect them to match the sheer amount of animation and attention to detail that Metal Slug had, but the game still needs some personality. But ultimately, the spritework isn't a particularly big complaint here - it's that the gameplay clearly doesn't have the level of polish or nuance it needs to stand out.

Danny Dudekisser

The problem with the GAF dream of wanting every single modern project to be unique in some way is that 100+ games release per year. Hell I think there might have been 200+ games alone shown during this year’s Summer Games Fest.

Realistically, a large percentage of those games are not going to be unique. It’s an impossibility, statistically.

Quite a few of them will be inspired and some will even be attempting to act as a ‘spiritual successor entry’ to a beloved franchise. If anything, it’s always more of a shock when a beloved older property barely has any spiritual successors or games inspired from it.

That’s why I’m trying to figure out where the line lies for people, because the idea of ‘the game must always be unique’ feels like a ‘have your cake and eat it too’ situation when it comes to modern day video games.

Technically, this simple genre mash could be considered their one ‘unique idea’ and when this game releases, if it looks good, is designed good, and plays good, is that realistically good enough?

Yes. But I don't think it'll be designed well or play well, because it looks like the elements of the games that inspired it have just been slapped together for little regard for whether or not it was a good idea.

Top Bottom