• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guns of Fury : a tribute to metal slug and castlevania

Soltype

Are there any 2D HD games that truly take advantage of the higher resolution for the sprites? Almost every HD 2D game still has relatively tiny sprites and these huge screens of map/area. Even Metroid Dread kind of had this problem and that was technically a 3D engine.

Yes. But I don't think it'll be designed well or play well, because it looks like the elements of the games that inspired it have just been slapped together for little regard for whether or not it was a good idea.
And this brings me back to my first question, because making detailed sprites and animations like that clearly isn’t lazy nor ‘slapped together’. It takes a ton of time. Time that could have easily been halved if they had simply went with 3d models instead.

It’s why I brought up the line question in the first place.

The problem with the GAF dream of wanting every single modern project to be unique in some way is that 100+ games release per year. Hell I think there might have been 200+ games alone shown during this year’s Summer Games Fest.

Realistically, a large percentage of those games are not going to be unique. It’s an impossibility, statistically.

Quite a few of them will be inspired and some will even be attempting to act as a ‘spiritual successor entry’ to a beloved franchise. If anything, it’s always more of a shock when a beloved older property barely has any spiritual successors or games inspired from it.

That’s why I’m trying to figure out where the line lies for people, because the idea of ‘the game must always be unique’ feels like a ‘have your cake and eat it too’ situation when it comes to modern day video games.

Technically, this simple genre mash could be considered their one ‘unique idea’ and when this game releases, if it looks good, is designed good, and plays good, is that realistically good enough?
Eh you're taking this too much as a hard line or bigger issue than I give it any thought to. I'm just posting on a message board in a knee-jerk reaction to watching 20 seconds of gameplay, it's not gospel or a thought-out stance on my end. Some games rub me the wrong way, some don't, and I STILL might buy it in two months because to me it's not a big deal. I can't tell you where my line is honestly, just had a reaction to how blatantly this one rips.

Top Bottom