• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi |OT| Love is a Battlefield

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
yOJectP.png

0RFk84s.png

Game: Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi
Publisher: Aksys Games
Developer: Idea Factory/Design Factory/Otomate
Genre: Visual Novel [Otome]
Platform: PlayStation 3
Release Dates:
[Standard Edition (Retail)]: May 6th, 2014 ; Price: $39.99
[PSN - North America]: May 6th, 2014; Reg: $33.99, PS+: $27.19
[PSN - Europe]: May 7th, 2014
[Limited Edition (Retail)]: May 20th, 2014 ; Price: $59.99
DLC: All are out on May 6th, 2014 for North America and May 7th for Europe
Official Website: www.hakuoki.com

The retail version is available in two editions (click the pictures for bigger versions):

Standard (out May 6th, 2014), and Limited (out May 20th, 2014). The Limited Edition was delayed due to manufacturing errors in meeting quality standards.

The limited edition comes with:
  • The game!
  • An omamori love charm replica
  • A hair comb
  • A hairpin
  • A Japanese-inspired lacquer box
What is new with this version of Hakuoki?

There are actually some new things with this version of Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan as opposed to gimmicks that come with other versions of that game. Examples include:
  • This comes with *two* games: Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan (essentially the same as the PSP version that was released in NA in 2012) and its fandisc Hakuoki: Zuisouroku, which is now seeing its first release in North America
  • When you complete paths in the main story, as a bonus, you unlock PS3 themes
  • When you complete Hakuoki Stories / Zuisouroku, you unlock episodes for Sweet School Love, starring the Hakuoki cast in a modern Japanese high school setting
  • It features the "Active Animation System" (AAS). Each character will appear to breathe, lip-flap, etc. when interacting with the main character.
  • You can turn the fast-forward button on from the get-go in the options menu.

KE3qnMu.png

Main Story

Japan’s Edo Period was drawing to a close.

The shogunate, who’d held power in the country for more than 200 years, found itself challenged by the imperial court, and by several domains who had chaffed under shogunal rule. In the midst of this political unrest, an organization rose to prominence: The Shinsengumi. Originally formed to protect the streets of Kyoto from masterless samurai, they came to represent the last, tragic bastion of the honor-bound samurai culture that had defined much of Japan’s history.

A young woman by the name of Chizuru comes to Kyoto in search of her missing father, and soon encounters danger and the Shinsengumi in quick succession. When it becomes clear the Shinsengumi are also searching for her father, Chizuru is put under their protection.

But odd things are afoot in Kyoto—possibly even supernatural things. Can Chizuru navigate this maze of mortal danger and political intrigue? Amidst so much misery and death, can she find romance?

Stories of the Shinsengumi

When Chizuru stumbled upon the infamous Shinsengumi one night on the street and discovered their secret, her fate changed forever.

Ensconced in the headquarters of the Shinsengumi, Chizuru spends every day under the harsh eyes of the captains worried about her father and fearing for her own safety. It seems like her life is spared for the moment, but as soon as there is no value to her being among them, she will likely be killed.

It wasn’t that they were monsters. There were times when they’d casually strike up conversation with her, laughing and joking around. However, to them, Chizuru is an outsider. The brief smiles they offer her are no guarantee of safety. Months pass under this oppressive atmosphere. One day, an inconsequential moment between Chizuru and the warriors affects a subtle change. This is when her stories begin.​

tSGq6Uq.png

Chizuru Yukimura (Protagonist)

img_chizurubofyd.png

After coming to Kyoto in search of her absent father, Chizuru stumbled onto one of the Shinsengumi’s secrets, and was consequently taken under their “protection.” Once Chizuru’s search for her father resumes, she begins to uncover secrets long buried. Secrets about her father, the Shinsengumi… and Chizuru herself.

Hijikata Toshizo (Commander) – CV: Shinichiro Miki

img_toshizo72e6e.png

The men tend to call him the “The Demon”, and not always behind his back. To maintain order and unity among his ragtag group of warriors, he is very strict and deals out harsh punishments in accordance with The Code. Read up on him in his Man of the Month article: December: Swords Illustrated “Legend, Samurai, Man?”

Souji Okita (Captain, 1st Division) – CV: Showtaro Morikubo

img_soujip8d22.png

Okita is considering being something of a genius with the sword. He likes to make jokes—frequently at the expense of his comrades—and often wears a wry smile, but in battle he holds nothing back and his devotion to the Shinsengumi and Kondou is unparalleled. Learn about his skills in his Man of the Month Article: November: Tumbling Pebbles “The Secret Fury”

Hajime Saito (Captain, 3rd Division) – CV: Kousuke Toriumi

img_hajimelmfhm.png

Saito is known for being reserved, solitary, and loyal. Unlike most other swordsmen, he fights with his left hand. He is a master of the art of iai, and his swordsmanship is top–tier, even among the Shinsengumi. Read his Man of the Month article: January: The Kyoto Shuehin “A Blade in the Dark”

Heisuke Toudou (Captain, 8th Division) – CV: Hiroyuki Yoshino

img_heisukej3ck8.png

A cheerful man from Edo, Toudou is the youngest captain in the Shinsengumi. He’s quick with a grin and tends to jump straight into things before thinking them through, even if what he’s jumping into is a life–or–death battle. Check him out via his Man of the Month article: September: Wolf Rhythm “Gangster or Good Guy?!”

Sanosuke Harada (Captain, 10th Division) – CV: Kōji Yusa

img_sanosukex6iif.png

Harada has something of a quick temper, and he’s a little rough around the edges, but underneath it all he’s a compassionate man with a strong sense of duty. His weapon of choice is the spear, not the sword, and he has no equal among Kyoto’s spearmen. Read about him in his Man of the Month article: October: Gentry “Walks Softly and Carries a Big Stick”.

Chikage Kazama (???) – CV: Kenjiro Tsuda

img_chikage97ft5.png

A mysterious warrior hired by the Satsuma Domain. He seems to have a special interest in Chizuru Yukimura. Check out his Man of the Month article: February: Adage "The Devil You Know".​

uEKeYd7.png

Q: What is an Otome game?
A: An otome game is typically a game that is marketed towards a female audience. With that said, it is not exclusively for women, and it is not always a visual novel. Aside from progressing through the plot, another goals that players have is to develop a romantic relationship between the female character and one of several male (or sometimes female) characters in the game. 1994’s Angelique, developed by an all-female development staff at Koei and released for the Super Famicom, was the first otome title. Hakuoki is the more well-known series of otome titles in the west.

Q: schala are you saying that this ain’t for those who aren't attracted to guys, schala pls
A: Nope, not at all. We’ve seen plenty of people of all genders and orientations on GAF buy the previous Hakuoki games and Sweet Fuse, so I do think Otome games have a chance here. As I wrote in my impressions a long time ago, I do think that this visual novel is a good otome game to introduce to a western audience because it isn't utterly drenched in romance, but rather, focuses on combat and the politics of the era while dabbling in supernatural stuff. If you want more information about visual novels or otome games, please take the opportunity to visit these two threads:
Q: Is there an English dub?
A: Nope. Japanese dub, English subs. They work fairly well in tandem. I had made comments with respect to the localization in my impressions of the PSP version here.

Q: What makes this game different from the other versions of Hakuoki released here?
A: I answered that before but if we want to approach this question, we should talk about what the games released overseas have to offer:
  • Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom (PSP): This is the first version of Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan released overseas, with a Japanese dub and English subtitles. It’s the most raw version of the game, and feels essentially like the PS2 version of the game. I believe it can be played on the Vita.
  • Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS): This is essentially Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan for the 3DS, but it boasts having the 3D effect for the 3DS, and a photograph feature modeled after purikura (Japanese photo sticker booths). It also has six side tales not included in the PSP version.
  • Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi (PSP): This is different. And it’s pretty hilarious how this one came to exist. It’s a game adaptation of the anime adaptation of the game. It’s Hakuoki Musouroku (the musou game), and consists of picking each of the characters to carry through hack-and-slash battles.
  • Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3): This is the release that this thread is about. It combines the original Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan story with the fandisc Hakuoki: Zuisoroku. It also comes with the additional feature of the High School story, placing all of the main characters of the game in a modern Japanese high school setting.
Q: I'm new to the series and I see these games thrown around everywhere! How many of these games are there?!
A: I have trouble keeping up too. There are really only 9 games in the entire series: Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan, Zuisoroku, Yuugiroku 1+2, Reimeiroku, Musouroku, Toki no Kizuna ~Sekigahara Kitan~, Urakata Hakuoki, and Hakuoki Sweet School Life. For the most part, the first game gets the most amount of ports with some extra modes spaced out to make each version a little different.

Basically:
  • Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan (2008) is basically the main narrative for the games. It has been ported to the PSP (2009/2012), DS (2010), GREE (2010), 3DS (2011/2013), and Vita (2013). This has been released under the "Demon of the Fleeting Blossom" and "Memories of the Shinsengumi" names.
  • Hakuoki: Zuisouroku (2009) is a collection of short stories that take place at the same time as the main narrative. Essentially it’s a fandisc. The unlockable is Hakuoki High School (not to be confused with the new Hakuoki game SSL). It has been ported to the PSP (2010) and DS (2011)
  • Hakuoki Junsouroku (2010/2014) combines both Shinsengumi Kitan and Zuisouroku into one package. That is the release that this thread is concerned with, and is being released under the "Stories of the Shinsengumi" name.
  • Hakuoki Yuugiroku 1+2 (2010; 2011) are minigame collections featuring chibi versions of the characters. The PSP version of the first game is the base game composed of minigames, and the DS version of the first game comes with Karuta. The second game is only on the PSP.
  • Hakuoki Reimeiroku (2010) serves as a prequel to Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan. It’s also a really long game, even with the skip function. It has been ported to the PSP (2011), DS (2012), and PS3 (2012).
  • Hakuoki Bakumatsu Musouroku (2012; 2013) is… and I’m not kidding… an action game adaptation of the anime adaptation of the original game. Yeah. I dunno. As the name implies, it’s Hakuoki Musou. It was released here under the "Warriors of the Shinsengumi" name.
  • Hakuoki: Sweet School Life (~SSL~) (2014) is a spinoff visual novel set in modern Japan where the cast members of Hakuoki attend high school. It is for the PlayStation Vita.
  • Toki no Kizuna ~Sekigahara Kitan~ (2012) and its fandisc Toki no Kizuna Hanayuitsuzuri (2013) are spinoffs of the Hakuoki games set in the same world and act as a prequel to the first game. It’s a very average game from what I hear.
  • Urakata Hakuoki (2013) is a spinoff of Hakuoki which exists as a “what if” scenario for the game and it has turn-based combat (you can also wander map screens and buy equipment… and do requests for people). It also has its own fandisc (2014).
And that’s a mouthful.
tMaUzpe.gif

Q: Trophy list, now. Is the plat hard?
A: Be forewarned that there are spoilers in the trophy list if you haven’t played through the main game before in its previous two western releases. Check it here. I haven’t done the plat for this in the Japanese version, but it’s pretty safe to say that like all visual novel platinums, it’s not hard. It just takes a while to unlock every CG and bad endings.​

6kcKXs9.png

Trailer

Screens (click to see bigger versions!):

wgDzluX.png

[Coming Soon! …maybe!]

Meanwhile, you can check reviews of the PSP version of the first game on Metacritic here, and the 3DS version of the first game here.

Again, I had written impressions of the PSP version here.​

And that's it! Enjoy the game. Having played the Japanese version, I think it's the most definitive and best release of Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan since it does include the fan disc, and it can serve as a nice introduction for Sweet School Life if it ever comes out here.

closingxcza8.png

Tohsaka

I have my copy pre-ordered with Amazon, should be here Thursday or so. I enjoyed the anime series and have held off on playing the portable versions of the game in hopes that Aksys would eventually localize the PS3 version, I'm glad I waited.

cj_iwakura

Isn't this the first physical VN release on PS3,too?

If not the first period?

Also,I think the prequel's anime is on crunchyroll. It seemed really good.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Great OT, Schala! :D

Yay :D.

Shame this hasn't been announced for Europe. Will just import it.

The game will be released digitally in Europe on Wed, 5/7 :)

Isn't this the first physical VN release on PS3,too?

If not the first period?

I believe this will be the 1st PS3 visual novel (both phys/digi)

XBlaze Code: Embryo will most likely be the 2nd, when it releases on 6/24 :) (though it's both PS3/VITA)

Tizoc

^EDIT: Oh well there's that, but will the price be similar to US PSN?
Yay :D.

Shame this hasn't been announced for Europe. Will just import it.

It should have a digital release I believe, may be cheaper to get that.

bigkrev

I've bought this game 3 times now ( PSP, PSN, 3DS), and still never actually played it. :(

Probably skipping this version till it gets a PSN sale, though that collectors edition does look rather nice

Hopefully this will be the version I'll actually get around to playing. (Assuming a Vita version doesn't come before I ever get around to it)

Well I have until the end of the month to get around to this~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've bought this game 3 times now ( PSP, PSN, 3DS), and still never actually played it. :(

Probably skipping this version till it gets a PSN sale, though that collectors edition does look rather nice
If there's any version of the game that I think people should play, it's this one.

I've played the 3DS version, the PSP version, the Vita version, and the PS3 version and this is probably the most definitive version of the bunch since it offers the most content (but that's partially because it's a bundle of two games rather than just another port of the first game).

The (currently-only Japanese) Vita version kinda sucks. I played it a few months ago since I got it and Amnesia V Edition. It comes with minigames that are in the style of the minigame collections on the PSP (which weren't very good either) and it doesn't offer that much extra content. I think the touch-to-speak minigame of the Vita version were just an afterthought and were mostly boring and annoying.

cj_iwakura

I hope you don't mind some opinion, but my feelings on the PSP version was that it starts out great, but loses steam near the end.

The Saitou end was still nice, though.

And Chizuru really is as milquetoast as they come.

Flandy

This is getting released again? :O Do people just keep buying this stuff or did the original just bomb and they're trying to get their money back?

I'm considering finally jumping in on this. How's the protagonist? I hope she isn't a helpless doormat like some other Otome game heroines.

cj_iwakura

This is getting released again? :O Do people just keep buying this stuff or did the original just bomb and they're trying to get their money back?

The original did well enough to warrant three more releases in the series and another otome localization.

Saphirax

Great OT, Schala! :D

The game will be released digitally in Europe on Wed, 5/7 :)

I believe this will be the 1st PS3 visual novel (both phys/digi)

XBlaze Code: Embryo will most likely be the 2nd, when it releases on 6/24 :) (though it's both PS3/VITA)

! Didn't know that. Awesome :D.

bigkrev

If there's any version of the game that I think people should play, it's this one.

I've played the 3DS version, the PSP version, the Vita version, and the PS3 version and this is probably the most definitive version of the bunch since it offers the most content (but that's partially because it's a bundle of two games rather than just another port of the first game).

The (currently-only Japanese) Vita version kinda sucks. I played it a few months ago since I got it and Amnesia V Edition. It comes with minigames that are in the style of the minigame collections on the PSP (which weren't very good either) and it doesn't offer that much extra content. I think the touch-to-speak minigame of the Vita version were just an afterthought and were mostly boring and annoying.

Yeahhhhhh, but this not being portable is going to kill it for me. I can only play VNs on handhelds- I can't even get in to this copy of Steins Gate I bought because I have to play it on a large screen :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm considering finally jumping in on this. How's the protagonist? I hope she isn't a helpless doormat like some other Otome game heroines.
Typically the running joke with Otomate (the developer) games is that their protagonists aren't very outspoken. For example, I'm currently going through Amnesia V Edition and the protagonist feels like a doormat by default because she can't remember anything, and she doesn't have much dialogue. It's a shame because although the story is a little interesting--albeit inconsistent--I would rather see more exchanges between the characters.

With respect to Hakuoki, I don't think Chizuru is that bad given that she's expected to dress and behave like a man outside of the Shinsengumi HQ and listen into political discussions. She, because she is you, doesn't get that much of a pervasive personality, as opposed to something like Steins;Gate or Sweet Fuse where the protagonist is readily established. I do like her more than other otome protagonists, especially the princess otome protagonists.

Sweet Fuse was released a little while ago and the protagonist for that is a little headstrong. With that said, my own impressions of it was that it shouldn't have been a visual novel at all because it would work so much better as a game-game and would be more engaging that way. A lot of people in that game's OT seemed to like it more than I did, though.

As I said, otome games aren't just visual novels. The problem is that most of the games are simulation games or visual novels. Ururun Quest: Koiyuuki is an example of an otome RPG, but it wasn't very good or very balanced. I do wish the subgenre would diversify a bit more.

Flandy

You know you want it.

I might get the LE for my sister in law who lost her PSP version.

I'd pick up a Vita version for $15 :lol I've already played it so the price needs to be low. Sure I could buy the PSP version which I believe is either $10 or $15 on the PS Store but I want dat higher res art

Estellise

I've played both the PSP and 3DS version of this game and I really loved it. I'm excited to play this version since it comes with the fandisc (and Kazuki Yone's art is in wonderful HD).

I actually got the LE of the 3DS version but for this one I pre-ordered the regular edition since I didn't really want the LE as much (and I already had ordered Mario Kart 8) so hopefully I'll be getting it this week.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi is now out on US PSN along with all of the DLC, hurray! :D

http://bit.ly/1nlYof0

Also, on PSN it's currently $33.99 for normal users and $27.19 for PS PLUS users for a 1 week sale to celebrate! Time to strike while the boys are hot!

Pleas don't hurt me for not getting this version ;__;

Of course not :) *hugs*

Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi is now out on US PSN along with all of the DLC, hurray! :D

There is DLC for a visual novel? What did they put in there? A new storyline?

Somehow that just feels a bit weird to me. It's like buying a book, reading it, then buying some more pages to keep reading.

Edit: I'm new to this series, btw, so forgive me if my assumption of what this game is actually about and how DLC would fit in it is wrong.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.

Somehow that just feels a bit weird to me. It's like buying a book, reading it, then buying some more pages to keep reading.

Edit: I'm new to this series, btw, so forgive me if my assumption of what this game is actually about and how DLC would fit in it is wrong.

Haha, no worries! There is additional story and gallery content to be had :)

http://hakuoki.com/stories/

Maybe I'd get a budget priced Vita version ;)
Akyss isn't responsible for actually porting it are they?

That would be the devs themselves, we're just a publisher~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The game and DLC seem to be up. \o/

The Hakuoki DLC is, if it's the same as the Japanese version, basically short stories, some of which are essentially "another side, another story" type of deals. They're side stories from other characters in the game, or they're short stories that just won't fit the actual tone of the game at all.

It would certainly fit in. I don't condone the use of DLC, but at the same time, it does fit into the construct of the game since it basically side story/omake content that wouldn't fit right into the game's tone or pacing if it were in there.

I will add that some of the DLC is free.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Seeing all that "level" DLC popup on psn today is kinda making me expect that upon opening the case I'll find half a disc inside -_-;; At least with Warriors it was just stuff you could grind for. My copy hasn't even shipped yet but I'm still looking forward to it.

Fady K

Finally, a Japanese visual novel for the PS3 in English, thank you Aksys :)!

I'm certainly interested though I was surprised by how expensive the day 1 DLC is :( How essential are they to fully enjoying the story?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Finally, a Japanese visual novel for the PS3 in English, thank you Aksys :)!

I'm certainly interested though I was surprised by how expensive the day 1 DLC is :( How essential are they to fully enjoying the story?

They're more supplemental/extra. Not necessary to fully enjoy the game, but if you love the story and want more, then dive right in :)

Fady K

They're more supplemental/extra. Not necessary to fully enjoy the game, but if you love the story and want more, then dive right in :)

Being the story-centric gamer that I am, I will likely be seriously considering the DLC. Thank you guys for constantly taking the road not taken and bringing us games like this. Thankful to have devs like you (if you bump into him, send my warmest regards to Frank "Bo" :))

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Being the story-centric gamer that I am, I will likely be seriously considering the DLC. Thank you guys for constantly taking the road not taken and bringing us games like this. Thankful to have devs like you (if you bump into him, send my warmest regards to Frank "Bo" :))

Aww, that's very sweet of you!

And he might be closer than you think...

That's me ;)

Fady K

Aww, that's very sweet of you!

And he might be closer than you think...

That's me ;)

Oh wow. No wonder you reminded me of him, always helpful, always enthusiastic, always friendly. God bless you bro :) Looking forward to picking up my physical copy soon <3

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Oh wow. No wonder you reminded me of him, always helpful, always enthusiastic, always friendly. God bless you bro :) Looking forward to picking up my physical copy soon <3

Too kind! :)

I hope you enjoy playing it :D!

:(
Keep publishing Visual Novels please. We don't have enough of those in the West.
preferably on Vita

Hopefully the future will be bright for the visual novel genre! Needs more recognition :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Really like the typeface in this version so far. It works really well in HD. It's been a while since I've played the game in English.

:(
Keep publishing Visual Novels please. We don't have enough of those in the West.
preferably on Vita
There are a lot of VNs on Vita that I hope come over. But at least there's Xblaze so far.

Heck, I didn't want to drop cash on Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua's Vita version yet!

Fady K

Hopefully the future will be bright for the visual novel genre! Needs more recognition :)

Least you deserve bro :) I look forward to it.

And I agree with you, such games deserve more recognition, and thankfully for you guys, we can also look forward to *another* visual novel experience soon - Xblaze :D

On the topic of visual novels, I wish you guys were able to localize some of the horror visual novels like Hayarigami from Nippon Ichi or Imabikisou on the PS3 from Chunsoft.

I didn't realize this game would have so much DLC. I want to pick this up to support the genre, (even though I'm not a huge Hakuoki fan), but I thought this had all the extra stuff released from the previous games.

I know once I get some of the DLC, I'll want to get all of it, and that's a rather expensive endeavor currently. Yet, the base game is on sale this week. I'm getting Xblaze for sure, so I could just wait for that, but I wanna be a good VN fan too.

Decisions, decisions. #_#

Edit: BTW, awesome OT Schala. :)

I have some general questions before I buy it. How long is it? Are all the routes open from the beginning or is there some enforced playing order? How big of a role do the supernatural elements play?

Estellise

I have some general questions before I buy it. How long is it? Are all the routes open from the beginning or is there some enforced playing order? How big of a role do the supernatural elements play?

The length on the game depends on how fast you read and who's route you're on. The choices you make at the beginning (or some call it "the common route") influence who's route you'll end up on. I'd say it'd take about 5 - 8 hours per route. Probably longer if you're a completionist and want every good/bad ending. But I should add that this is technically two games in one. And the second game (which is the fandisc) is about 20 or so more hours of extra content.

The supernatural elements play an important role I'd say. One of these "supernatural phenomenons" is the main focus of the story and I could probably list a few more things about it but I don't want to spoil too much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That is some crazy aggressive pricing. If I didn't have the disc version bought at 30 bucks, I'd probably go digital.

Haha, no worries! There is additional story and gallery content to be had :)

The game and DLC seem to be up. \o/

The Hakuoki DLC is, if it's the same as the Japanese version, basically short stories, some of which are essentially "another side, another story" type of deals. They're side stories from other characters in the game, or they're short stories that just won't fit the actual tone of the game at all.

It would certainly fit in. I don't condone the use of DLC, but at the same time, it does fit into the construct of the game since it basically side story/omake content that wouldn't fit right into the game's tone or pacing if it were in there.

I will add that some of the DLC is free.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, guys.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Japanese version took me about 12-14 h with the skip option at the beginning chapters 1-3, but that's partially because I was taking time to read some stuff. If you don't use the skip function, I'm sure your playtime will be even longer. The Vita version of Hakuoki took me about 8 hours with skip to platinum, for instance, so for a VN, Hakuoki's a pretty long game. The prequel took me even longer.

There isn't really any enforced playing order and all routes are open at the beginning. This is more like a regular visual novel without a true end and not a game like 999/VLR where routes are locked off due to a true end.

Supernatural elements play a fairly large role that ends up influencing the plot towards its climax in most of the routes save for one.

Oh, and I ended up using this wiki: http://seesaawiki.jp/w/hakuoki_ps3/ for the Japanese version if I got stuck on content I hadn't seen before in Zuisoroku (the fandisc)/didn't remember as well from the English version.

I didn't realize this game would have so much DLC. I want to pick this up to support the genre, (even though I'm not a huge Hakuoki fan), but I thought this had all the extra stuff released from the previous games.

Edit: BTW, awesome OT Schala. :)
Thanks.

It does. It has the fandisc and the precursor to what is now known as Hakuoki SSL. All of the gimmicks from the 3DS version are gone because .. well, you can't really do that in the PS3 version, and the 3DS version came out a few years after this version did in Japan (PS3 = 2010, 2011). The Vita version has touch minigames which are at the calibre of the PSP minigame collections, and I don't think those are necessary extras; in fact, I think they brought the quality of the Vita version very very low for me.

As I said, this is probably the best version of Shinsengumi Kitan so far. Even then I don't want to tell you to buy something you're unsure about because my position is that video games are not a charity and you shouldn't feel obligated to throw money at something you don't really want to unlock something else that you do.

On the other hand, Hakuoki high school mode. All you have to do for that one is finish the fandisc section of the game off and unlock it. Something something Harada in a school setting, something something.

JPS Kai

Was there a shipping delay/shortage? The gamestop I work for hasn't received our copies in yet, making it quite difficult to get my hands on a copy to do my review. Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom