• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi |OT| Love is a Battlefield

Downloading, my wife is already rolling her eyes in the background lol.

It's my first otome ever but I like VNs and am fairly curious. I feel like Arino in that early GCCX episode where he fails at Angelique.

Gbraga

Okita is hot, I already have my husbando

EDIT:

Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3): This is the release that this thread is about. It combines the original Hakuoki: Shinsengumi Kitan story with the fandisc Hakuoki: Zuisoroku. It also comes with the additional feature of the High School story, placing all of the main characters of the game in a modern Japanese high school setting.

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How did I miss this?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^They ended up making the high school mode into a full-fledged Vita game that came out just this year in Japan. Haven't imported it yet, though, so I dunno. Didn't think to check mk2 to see what people thought of it either.

lol, I remember when I had dibs on Okita from the PSP thread. I'll go more for Saito since he's a lefty.

JPS Kai

Oho! My editor came through in the end and sent a review code my way. Now to endure the 8gb download over wifi.

I take it there aren't many newcomers reading this? I just finished chapter three and moved into Saito's route. I'm enjoying it. Sometimes it's a little awkward how they fit things in with historical events, but the blend of history, supernatural, and character drama is working for me so far. The narrative felt cohesive despite the pacing and sheer amount of years they went through and so far they are juggling the various elements of the story pretty well. Though it is kind of funny how Chizuru
seems unconcerned with setting her father's disappearance aside for half a decade.

I take it there aren't many newcomers reading this? I just finished chapter three and moved into Saito's route. I'm enjoying it. Sometimes it's a little awkward how they fit things in with historical events, but the blend of history, supernatural, and character drama is working for me so far. The narrative felt cohesive despite the pacing and sheer amount of years they went through and so far they are juggling the various elements of the story pretty well. Though it is kind of funny how Chizuru
seems unconcerned with setting her father's disappearance aside for half a decade.
Chizuru is an odd lady.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
From what I've played of Otomate's other games, that seems to be the running thing, heh.

Your opinions pretty much echo mine, though. I will warn that there are some routes that aren't necessarily as cohesive, but I feel like it's juggled around as well as it could be.

Gbraga

What's up with all the DLC? A lot of it is free, but just the idea of getting them all already makes me lazy, can I ignore everything?

Saphirax

What's up with all the DLC? A lot of it is free, but just the idea of getting them all already makes me lazy, can I ignore everything?

Yes. That's just extra content for those who've liked the characters. It's unrelated to the main story of the game from what I've gathered.

Wait there was a PS3 hakuoki game ?

i know i'm late to the party but still ..i had no idea it was coming heck that it was released.
I still have my retail psp version .... I kinda want the limited edition too ..
i'm actually conflicted that i'm late to the party.

Saphirax

Wait there was a PS3 hakuoki game ?

i know i'm late to the party but still ..i had no idea it was coming heck that it was released.
I still have my retail psp version .... I kinda want the limited edition too ..
i'm actually conflicted that i'm late to the party.

It's barely been over a week, so you're not that late :p.

I finished it. I enjoyed the visual novel, and really, my feelings haven't changed significantly from my earlier post. The character routes felt a bit short, and by the end I was a bit weary of how so much of each route was the same because of the historical constraints and how long the common route is. Too much of the VN felt like reading the same events with slightly different dialogue. Structurally Hakuouki is pretty standard for a VN, with only the fan-disc content really working unusually. I liked some of the fan-disc content, they were a nice way to flesh out some of the side characters in a way that wasn't feasible in the main story. And some of the comedy stories were funny.

Am I crazy for thinking the normal ending was the best one? It was probably the most impactful scene in Hakuouki. The VN had less romance than I was expecting, with Harada's being the only one dominated by it. Saito was my favorite character, but Okita probably had the best actual route. I didn't much care for Heisuke as a character, but ended up enjoying the
silly Dracula stuff
in his route.
Kazama
barely had a route, it was too short and sudden to work very well. I'm not sure saving Hijikata for last was wise either, as it was dry and a bit disjointed, it tried to tackle too many things at once and ended up falling short at all of them.

Looking up some of the characters real life pictures is pretty amusing after reading this, especially Saito.

And the skip function is way too slow, getting all of those CGs took longer than it should have.

Is any of the DLC worth it?

Anyone get the Platinum for this? The only thing I'm missing is one encyclopedia entry (between Yagi and Yamaguchi) and one misc image for the fan-disc stuff, and I can't think of where I could have missed it.

Saphirax

Ended up getting Faithful Moonless Night and Like a Flower Blooming Madly DLC - but wasn't really impressed by it.

Is any of the DLC actually worth purchasing? LaFBM was OK but FMN was way too short for the price.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just a heads-up for those waiting to get the Limited Edition in Canada, we're getting it on May 26th/27th. I ended up asking when I went to pick up Drakengard 3.

Those in the US should be getting it this week, though.

Am I crazy for thinking the normal ending was the best one? It was probably the most impactful scene in Hakuouki. The VN had less romance than I was expecting, with Harada's being the only one dominated by it. Saito was my favorite character, but Okita probably had the best actual route. I didn't much care for Heisuke as a character, but ended up enjoying the
silly Dracula stuff
in his route.
Kazama
barely had a route, it was too short and sudden to work very well. I'm not sure saving Hijikata for last was wise either, as it was dry and a bit disjointed, it tried to tackle too many things at once and ended up falling short at all of them.

Is any of the DLC worth it?

Anyone get the Platinum for this? The only thing I'm missing is one encyclopedia entry (between Yagi and Yamaguchi) and one misc image for the fan-disc stuff, and I can't think of where I could have missed it.
I didn't platinum the PS3 version as of yet, but did you end up doing all of the endings including the bad ones, and making decisions like "make him endure it", "give him blood", etc? GAF's own Kazerei made a guide for the PSP version on GameFAQs which would be applicable to the Shinsengumi Kitan portion of this game, so maybe it'd help.

I don't particularly think the DLC is worth purchasing unless you really really like the game and characters. They're more like Omake content, really.

I didn't care as much for the Hijikata route either. In all of my playthroughs of Shinsengumi Kitan, that is always going to be the weakest one for me.

this game has a fair amount of dlc, some of it seems to be from the psp version, i thought this version included everything from the psp game?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
this game has a fair amount of dlc, some of it seems to be from the psp version, i thought this version included everything from the psp game?
Are you sure that some of that DLC isn't for Warriors of the Shinsengumi instead? The ones you're looking for are marked SotS. A quick search on the SEN site shows that the bulk of the DLC with respect to Hakuoki comes from the Musou game.

Some of the DLC are for costume changes (ex: western clothing per character), some are just art, and some are short stories/episodes. There are 25 DLCs in all, but I don't think you really need them unless you want to know more about your favourite character. When I played the Japanese version, I only went for the free DLC and didn't bother with the ones that cost money.

Are you sure that some of that DLC isn't for Warriors of the Shinsengumi instead? The ones you're looking for are marked SotS. A quick search on the SEN site shows that the bulk of the DLC with respect to Hakuoki comes from the Musou game.

Some of the DLC are for costume changes (ex: western clothing per character), some are just art, and some are short stories/episodes. There are 25 DLCs in all, but I don't think you really need them unless you want to know more about your favourite character. When I played the Japanese version, I only went for the free DLC and didn't bother with the ones that cost money.

seems i got a bit confused seems a good chunk of the paid for dlc is from the 3ds game

BoHsQQhIMAArIZV.jpg

Well my LE arrived today. I do like the build quality of it. Not even Amazon could have (maybe possibly) ruined it.

Hopefully I'll get around to starting this, whenever I finish up with Xillia 2.

I didn't platinum the PS3 version as of yet, but did you end up doing all of the endings including the bad ones, and making decisions like "make him endure it", "give him blood", etc? GAF's own Kazerei made a guide for the PSP version on GameFAQs which would be applicable to the Shinsengumi Kitan portion of this game, so maybe it'd help..

Yeah, I did all that. Apparently the only thing I'm missing is the one encyclopedia entry because you get a CG for getting them all. But I have no idea what to do to unlock it.

Saphirax

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Finally sat down an played this yesterday & today! Just ta get the bad outta the way I'm still kinda bugged that Chizuru/MC's still not voice since she surely is in the anime. An that the mouth movements rarely seemed to fit an some peeps didn't have any at all. Guess my standard of bare minimum differs from the devs! Otherwise heyyy everything looked real nice an the story was as crazy/depressing as ever since its the same one as the original on PSP! But guess what? I learned from playing that game an instead of netting a bad ending I got the normal one! Which still left me manless, an sad but it uhh wasn't a total failure on my part? I kinda have a feeling there is no good ending anyhow! I hope ta get around to trying the other mode sooner rather than later!

Shizuka

I'm sorry if this topic is too old to bump, but does anyone know anywhere that I could import the limited edition? Both Estarland and Play-Asia don't have it anymore.

I'm sorry if this topic is too old to bump, but does anyone know anywhere that I could import the limited edition? Both Estarland and Play-Asia don't have it anymore.
Does Amazon.com or .ca ship to Brazil? They both have it available still.

Edit: Oh, Amazon.com has it "under review". ?_?

Shizuka

Does Amazon.com or .ca ship to Brazil? They both have it available still.

Edit: Oh, Amazon.com has it "under review". ?_?

Amazon.com was one of the ones I looked into, but they charge the customs tax beforehand, which makes the game $60 + shipping $20 + tax $80 = $160 total. The customs not always tax every package, so I'd rather wait and see if they do charge instead of paying it in any case. I can find one copy of the limited edition here for R$300 ($150), not much of an improvement.

Tenrius

Started the game today. Never played an otome game before, but the idea sounds pretty interesting and the story already looks pretty exciting.

I'll go more for Saito since he's a lefty.

That's what I'm currently thinking too. Being left-handed myself, that is.

jzbluz

I wasn't planning on buying this version because I bought the previous versions and I never finished either. But I saw this while I was browsing for games for my new ps3 and impulsively bought it. Third time's must be the charm because I actually finished three routes and I have a good feeling about getting the platinum.

Now I kinda want SSL but I want a non hakuoki otoge more. I wonder if IFI is planning on releasing it since they're advertising it on their website.

Top Bottom