• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2: Looks like all hell is going to break loose(NV/ATI War)

marsomega

ATI - how it should look.
1_ati_full.jpg

Nvidia - Not rendering all effects called into question.
1_nv_full.jpg

PC Perspective

This is turning out ugly. Anywho, the article is just stating that the Stress Test more then likely will not be indicative of the final performance.

200% Larger ATI pic

200% Larger Nvidia pic

marsomega

Buggy Loop said:
But which is the correct one?

It is obviously the ATI one. Besides the lighting effects missing, the AF is what gives it away in my opinion. Compare the bricks on each one. On the Nvidia's side it looks smudged. You see it on the right side, and it screams at you on the left side. (Provided your graphic whore tee hee hee).

Mrbob

Uh oh....

When is ATI going to start offering refresh cards? Aren't they due out soon? Although they can't even get their current cards out in decent quantity though....

I'm patiently waiting for that rumored X800GT to come out. Hopefully it supports PS3.0.

Nikashi

Banned
IQ is NOTICABLY better on the ATi card, note the wall on the right side. ATi version is perfectly clear and crisp, nVidia version is all smudgy.

NVIDIA STOP CHEATING, YOU ARE BAD AT NOT GETTING CAUGHT.

golem

it doesnt seem that the stress test included with hl2 is very reliable as a benchmark... not only do different sites get some pretty different results with similar setups but also shader corruption seems to be a problem.

http://www.techreport.com/etc/2004q3/source-engine/index.x?pg=2

A few quirks in the CS: Source beta
Now, about those rendering problems. First, no matter which card we tried, we'd see pixel shader corruption problems and skewed benchmark results if we didn't exit the game and restart it after each video mode change. This problem was simple to work around, of course, but it's something to note.

also i dont recall seeing another site point out such obvious rendering differences between the two manufacturer's cards

IJoel

A few quirks in the CS: Source beta
Now, about those rendering problems. First, no matter which card we tried, we'd see pixel shader corruption problems and skewed benchmark results if we didn't exit the game and restart it after each video mode change. This problem was simple to work around, of course, but it's something to note.

This is very true, specially with specular maps. I saw it quite a few times.

Whenever I can get a PCI Express of either one of the companies cards I'll buy one. I don't suspect that will happen until 05 since people are stupid enough to buy AGP 6800 Ultra's for $100 over MSRP.

marsomega

golem said:
it doesnt seem that the stress test included with hl2 is very reliable as a benchmark... not only do different sites get some pretty different results with similar setups but also shader corruption seems to be a problem.

http://www.techreport.com/etc/2004q3/source-engine/index.x?pg=2

also i dont recall seeing another site point out such obvious rendering differences between the two manufacturer's cards

The Source engine video stress test
The Source engine video stress test included with the CS: Source beta isn't a real in-game benchmark. It doesn't use a real Half-Life 2 level, doesn't test game physics, and doesn't play sounds back. It is, however, a pretty darned good video card benchmark, because it incorporates a whole range of pixel shader effects, sometimes layering them on top of each other, to produce lots of eye candy. The video stress test is also—lo and behold—very much a stress test; it seems to throw a series of worst-case scenarios at the graphics card to see how it fares. In other words, if a graphics card can make it through the video stress test without choking, I'd expect it to hold up its end of the bargain in Half-Life 2, as well.

To give you some idea what the stress test does, let's have a look at a few screenshots. The first one is from the opening stage of the stress test, where multiple translucency effects are layered on top of one another. Note, also, the reflective and refractive water below. This scene is packed with DX9 pixel shader effects

The stress test is your best bet. As with in anything in dealing with computers and peformance, you always work with the worst case scenario. As well as the program/hardware/algorithm that handles the worst case scenario the best is always the one to put bets on.

Forsete

Weird..

Im glad I stuck with my GF4 Ti4200 then, cuz my floorboard looks like the one in the ATI pic. :)

Btw, they have haxxorzed the Stress-test map now so you are able to play on it. Not much point though, as it lacks any buy-points and the map itself is pretty small. Nice running around in the water though.

http://w1.480.telia.com/~u48019550/CSShack.jpg

tenchir

The CS:S stress test seems to be very fillrate heavy because ATI x800XT is doing so much better than 6800U and 6800GT beats the x800Pro.

There's also the Video Stress Tests on various websites like FiringSquad, Driven Heaven, etc... that is different from CS:S in that it uses more shaders and effects, x800XT still beats the 6800U and the x800Pro also beats out the 6800GT.

Go to beyond3d forum to find out why the performance differences x800 series and the 6800 series seems to be much more dramatic than Doom3 differences.

Top Bottom